Chapter 6 – Back to grinding
187 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Status Effect]

[Taint of the Void - Neutralized]

[While the host is still affected by the status, it won't harm the host any further.]

The wizard didn't completely eliminate it, but he made it harmless.

While I was happy he kept his word, I was puzzled by his decision.

I made some assumptions.

Perhaps if he had entirely removed it, the Lich would have noticed. By neutralizing it, it remained, but it's no longer a threat, therefore the Lich can still track me, but it can't harm me anymore.

It was considerate of him. But I wondered how long would this act last.

One thing I was bothered about: Could the Lich sense that I was talking with the wizard?

The wizard seemed powerful, maybe more powerful than the Lich. He could have used some magic to avoid alerting him. That's a possibility, but it still concerned me.

Despite his act of goodwill towards me, I remained suspicious of him. How did he find me? What was his goal? Something was off. I was sure he knew more about me than he let on, judging by our conversation.

Honestly, what’s up with the appearance of powerful figures so early in the game? The lich came first and now a wizard?

At least, The wizard had good intentions despite his questionable way of words. Very questionable way of words.

‘I feel like this whole thing is a setup for something.’ I felt like a chess piece on a chessboard.

Both powerful figures were interested in me.

It could be both rewarding and dangerous.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[STATUS]

[Host: Valt]

[Lvl: 3] [Exp: 178/200]

[Health: 200/200]

[Species: Slime]

[Sections:]

[STATS]

[ABILITIES]

[SKILLS]

[QUEST]

There goes another section filled with these ores wiped out. Too bad I didn't gather enough for another ascension.

I looked over to my stat section and contemplated what I should do with my remaining stat points.

[STATS] - [Stat points: 4]

[Strength: 1]

[Constitution: 2]  

[Dexterity: 1] 

[Intelligence: 3 ]

[Willpower: 5 ] 

Should I put them all into dexterity?

It seemed like a reasonable option since I felt quite slow. But there’s a thought raging within me to save it for emergencies.  You never know when you might need it.

Maybe put some in dexterity?

I was in a bit of a dilemma, but I decided to put at least one in dexterity.

[Dexterity: 1 → 2]

I moved around to see if I could notice any differences, but no, I still felt slow as f*ck. 

I was tempted to put another point into it but I held the urge to do it.

No, bad Valt, save it. Don’t give in to temptation.’ 

Having spent a considerable amount of time here, I checked my quest time limit. Since my status effect is no longer a threat, I no longer need to worry about the 10-hour timer.

[Quest Pending] - [Stop The Lich!]

[A lich that has a unique interest in slimes has gathered a large number of them in a remote mountain. Using the slimes as a source of energy for an unknown reason.]

[Time Limit: 46 hours; 38 minutes; 21 seconds]

[If the Host fails to comply, The Host will be eradicated]

With plenty of time left, I wondered if I should continue doing what I’ve been doing for the past hours.

'Ah, what the heck, I might as well.’

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[Lvl 3 → 4]

[Congratulations Host on the New Ascension!]

[Reward]

[+1 Stat point gained]

[Lvl 4 → 5]

[[Congratulations Host on the New Acension!]

[Reward]

[+1 Stat point gained]

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[STATUS]

[Host: Valt]

[Lvl: 5] [Exp: 9/500]

[Health: 340/340]

[Species: Slime]

[Sections:]

[STATS]

[ABILITIES]

[SKILLS]

[QUEST]

I observed my status screen with content and satisfaction.

Three hours. I spent about three hours grinding, and now I've reached Level 5.

I only came to a stop, seeing that I already emptied so many parts that had allumine ores in them that I couldn't find any more. Well, for starters, this area wasn’t that large to begin with.

Also, the exp requirements were just too high to actually complete it anymore. I would at least need 40 or more allumine ores to complete another ascension, and that would increase later on.

I need to find another good source of EXP.

I still had a lot of time left, like a lot. I could probably spend the entire day on the grind, which I would love to do.

But I decided to go back.

It might be an unwise decision, but I had already used up all the ores, so I might as well return. There was no point in staying.

I wasn't sure if the slimes were still there, but I hoped they were.

I tried to retrace my steps, but I wasn't confident about whether I was going the right way or not. My only map was my memory. I really should have thought it through before going around aimlessly without any sense of direction. I mentally facepalmed myself for my stupidity. I was just too focused on the grind to even think about where I was going. I regretted it.

I guess the saying was true after all. People will do what they will regret when their lives depend on it.

I found a small gap that I assumed to be one I squeezed through before. Possibly, maybe.

Seeing no harm in trying, I went in.

Founding myself on the other side, I wasn't sure if this area was the same as I was before. I couldn't find any traces of familiarity.

In my vision, they appeared the same, with only differences in structure. I forgot to note some stuff worth remembering. I should probably do that more often in this place just to make sure I don't get lost.

I searched the area to find any possible remembrance. In the corner of my eye, I saw this small, yet noticeable, familiar presence. It had a blue color, it was faint though.

I moved closer to it and used <identify>.

[Substance found!]

[Slime particle]

[-A certain body part of the slime that is washed off]

There they were. Looking far ahead, I could see more of them, scattered around the ground like pebbles.

I was relieved to find traces of them but disappointed to see that they had left already.

'I guess, I'm just gonna follow these.' I just hope the road isn’t that rough.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Have you ever wondered how plants could pose a threat to existence?

I, too, pondered this, considering it only as a mere passing thought in the mind. How could plants be a threat? At most, they might harm through poison, which can be avoided with enough knowledge. They wouldn't attack on their own, right?

Guess I was wrong.

I should have known being in a fantasy world could twist the logic that has been with you since on Earth.

Everything in this world is now the new normal for me.

To sum everything all up - I am being attacked by a freaking plant monster.

[Lifeform Identified!]

[Enigma Toothwort]

[- An enormous plant with a hungry appetite. Its ability to camouflage and hide so well in the environment allows it to ambush its prey with high chances of success]

Ahh! Fuck!

I cursed and screamed as my health slowly began to decline right in front of my eyes. I was horrified at the sight.  Not only was I stuck, but I was also dying at the same time.

I did not bother to get help from my system. She was useless anyway.

‘Further Identification’

[Enigma Toothwort]

[Lvl: 4]

[Hp: 500/500]

[Relationship: Hostile]

[Skills and Abilities(Concealed) (Requirement not met: Intelligence 10)]

This plant is one level below me?

That assures me that maybe I could escape this thing. But my second enemy now is time. I was slowly getting eaten by this thing. To be precise, I was in its mouth, with its teeth drilling deeper into my body. It didn't hurt per se, but my health depleting was a sign that I shouldn't take it for granted.

‘System, I have the ability Self-regeneration, right? Why isn’t it working?!’

[ANSWER: Self-regeneration works if the Host is out of Harm's way]

Are you f*cking serious?!

While the plant monster has already eaten me, more precisely chewing me like gum. It hasn't swallowed me yet much to my relief.

I wondered if I used Gluttony here, would I eat the monster instead?

That would honestly be funny if it worked.

I didn't do it in the end, though. Instead, I found another plan which was to use the first skill I obtained.

Bounce.

If this skill had the force to make this plant’s mouth forcefully open, then that would give me an opportunity to escape. Now, I had to time this right. If this monster had some sort of intelligence, and if I failed, it would surely hasten its eating process.

“System, if I level up my Strength stat, would it impact the bounce force level?”

[ANSWER: The Strength stat is connected to all physical-related skills.]

That was all I needed to hear. I still had five stat points left, and I put three into my strength.

[Strength: 1 → 4]

With that done, I wasted no time and used the skill.

[Skill activated: Bounce]

I felt my body fly upward. It collided with the upper part of its mouth. The plant struggled to keep its mouth shut, but I managed to forcibly open it.

Suspended in the air for about a second, I screamed in joy.

‘It works!’

[Bounce(N) (lvl 1 → 2) - Propel increased]

It even leveled up!

I was suspended in the air for only about a second before instantly falling to the ground. Finally, at descent, I was no idiot and immediately cowered behind some rocks just enough to have a safe distance from the plant.

I turned to the path I was supposed to be taking, and hoo boy, there were dozens of them there.

Their ability to camouflage was outstanding; even I couldn't sense it when I arrived here.

This just proved that this cave is full of unknown things with unknown dangers.

The problem now was figuring out how to get past them. There was no way my slow-ass speed would actually help me dodge those bites.

Hell no.

I need to find another way.

One thing's for sure I still remember from my past life is that I have a good sense of direction.

 

9