Chapter 10 – Fight or flight?
123 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I couldn't recall how long I had been falling. Maybe a few hours, possibly. I couldn't keep track of the time.

"System, where am I?"

“...”

"Can you at least tell me if I have a chance to escape whatever I am in?"

[ANSWER: Given the Host's current capabilities, the chances of the Host escaping are zero.]

"Oh, thanks for that vote of confidence," I muttered sarcastically.

[My Pleasure, Host]

“....”

“Is there any chance that you can help me?”

“....”

“Okay, fine, never mind.”

‘Sadist’ I added with a hint of anger. The system didn't respond to the comment, which I took as a yes.  She is a sadist, after all, enjoying the pain and suffering of others, especially me.

With that said, I refocused my attention on myself.

The confirmation of the system really got me down. 

What if I used the summoning here?

That would probably would not work, the wizard did say summoning only works if I confront the lich. Other than that, there was nothing I could do. Pretty much, I am stuck here for quite a while.

At this rate, I might actually die here.

Alone.

Just before all hope was lost, I saw a bright light. It was intense, almost blinding and I don't even have eyes.  How could I even see it?

That question remained unanswered as the light grew brighter and brighter leaving most of my vision in pure white.

Is it over? Is heaven going to take me now?

I did have some doubts that I was dead when I first arrived in this world. I guess it was true after all.  At least my suffering is over and died peacefully and painlessly. 

Then I felt it. My body pressed against something quite hard.

I bounced and bounced. I realized that I wasn’t falling anymore.

I wasn’t falling anymore! 

That means-! I’m finally out of that hellhole!

I couldn’t be any happier. Just as I was about to celebrate. A raspy, familiar voice sounded to my left.

“Joyous, indeed you are, slime.”

I felt myself freezing like I was in Antarctica with no clothes on. Footsteps could be heard getting closer with each step.

I recognize that voice.

It was none other than the Lich himself.

Then the footsteps stopped just right beside me. 

“I could sense fear in you. You are truly remarkable.” The Lich spoke.

Is this it? This is it, right? Should I fight him right here, right now?

I was beginning to doubt my ability to fight but I shook it off when I realized that this was my chance. I was about to tell my system to consume the herb, but then it hit me. A wave of bolt-like electricity coursed through my body. The pain was unbearable.

[ALERT!]

[The Host has been inflicted <Thunderlock> ]

[Required to resist: 20 willpower]

[Resist Failed]

[Reason: Condition not met]

[UPDATED!]

[Status effect: Paralyzed]

GAHH!

“It would be really rude for me to do all the talking. Now, why don’t you SPEAK.

[Alert!]

[The Lich has offered a temporary ability <verbal>. Would the host...]

[Accept/Decline?]

Seeing I gave no response, the Lich persisted. “Speak, slime, and you shall not bear this pain any longer.”

I felt the pain becoming more excruciating than before.

Damn it! 

I had no choice but to accept.

[Host gained the TEMPORARY ABILITY: verbal]

“A-Alright! Just make it stop!” I pleaded with a pained voice.

I saw the Lich's hand drop, and the pain stopped.

I took a moment to take a rest.

This lich…’ I tried to suppress my anger. This lich probably can sense it.

“Good, was it hard?”

“I-No," I said, still very shocked that I could speak again. It gave me a sense of déjà vu.

“Now, I grant you the ability to speak. Perhaps I should grant sight as well?”

I remained silent, giving no answer to his question. But it seemed he misinterpreted my silence as a confirmation, so the pain came back.

[Alert!]

[The Lich has offered a temporary ability <sight>. Would the host...]

[Accept/Decline?]

Not again! Why does this even hurt?!- AHH!

I didn’t even say anything!

A-Accept!

[Host gained the TEMPORARY ABILITY: sight]

"Alright!" I said through the surge of pain coursing through my body. Then the pain disappeared.

What followed was something I could have dreamed of.

My sight returned.

I could see everything…I can see!

Look, there are rocks over there! Rocks that are not just black and white! Technically, they are still dark, but that doesn’t matter.

But that joyous moment came to a stop when I noticed a stern gaze directed at me.

“If I ask you a question, you must answer. That simple,” the Lich said, simply.

I snapped my attention towards the Lich. With my sight returned, I could finally see what he looked like, and boy, did he look scary.

His appearance is what I expected from a Lich. He wore a greenish robe that was tattered that covered his skeleton body. Two horns were visible right above his head, one of which was broken in half. The eyes on his skull lit up bright green, and he was holding a wooden staff with some markings on it.

His presence was intimidating, I’d give you that.

Carefully choosing my words, I just replied, “Okay.”

The lich merely nodded as his hand gestured for me to follow.

With his back facing me, a passing thought of attacking him right there occurred to my mind. But I shook away those thoughts.

No, I got one chance on this. I must wait for the right moment.

I began following him silently. As we continued walking, he began to speak.

“I’ve been watching you…”

Yeah, figures.

“Unlike the rest of your fellow species, you were the only one who managed to not only resist my control but intrigue me.”

Oh f*ck, he knows about that.

“You’ve been busy, far busy. Looking at you right now, I have seen growth in you.”

'Don't tell me he knows about the system'. The system was a trump card. Nobody should know of its existence other than me. Swallowing my anxiety, I continued to listen.

“That growth, I have seen potential. A potential that could bring a glorious purpose.”

Then he stopped walking, I mean. I wondered why he stopped, so I looked over and... HOLY FLIP, we’re on a cliff. At the edge of the cliff to be precise.

“There,” he gestured his hand below the cliff, “you could see the rest of your species. Waiting for their time and purpose.”

I moved further just enough for me to have a clear view below.

Just like he said, there it was, my fellow slimes. I was very surprised by their sheer number. They're like a hundred or maybe more?

It looked like an ocean from up here given their color.

Has this dude been collecting slime his entire life? Man, is his obsession that far down? I could clearly see that, considering there were ‘Unique interest’ words in the quest description about him. 

“But you, slime, it has already begun. Now, it's time for you to take the test.”

The test? I was confused. What the f*ck is he on about?

“A test?” I questioned, quite calmly on the outside. But that was all clearly just an act. On the inside, I was trying to bury down my nervousness and anxiety so badly.

What if I say something that could anger him? What if questions are not allowed?

Yeah, that. Not that it would work anyway. He did see right through me a while ago.

The lich's eyes bore into me in response. “Yes, a test. If you fail, you will die. If you succeed, you will live. These simple rules shall you keep in mind,” he explained before raising his hand.

“For whatever may happen now will determine if you shall be worthy.”

“Worthy of what?”

Of what appeared to be a smile on his face, he replied, “You shall know soon.”

God, that smile was creepy. And that memory of him smiling burned into my mind unwelcome.

He proceeded to snap his fingers.

Confused would be the right word I was feeling when I saw that snap. But confusion quickly turned into terror as I realized that I could feel myself being pulled once more into a vacuum like the one who transported me here.

“Wait-" I didn't get the chance to speak as I was swallowed whole and back into the abyss. 

5