My New Apartment
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In various aspects, everyone surely desires a bright future—getting a decent job and avoiding problems as much as possible. Therefore, as an ordinary citizen, I strive for that. However, there are a few things I need to settle before I can achieve it.

While reading the directions on my smartphone map, I finally arrived at an apartment complex.

"It's quite spacious. I guess it's a good idea to come to this city."

As I entered the building, there was no elevator, only stairs to go up. Moreover, the paint around this apartment seemed a bit peeled. It seems like this place is not well-maintained.

While walking towards the room I rented, I touched some parts of the apartment walls. Before long, I reached the 3rd floor area. There were several tightly closed doors. At least, by my count, there were about 8 doors.

While searching for number 67, it turns out my room is in the far corner right next to the dividing wall. I walked towards my room, and I started to hear the sound of a door opening from where I'm currently walking.

There, I saw two human figures.

"Mama, come on, I want to eat the cake."

"Wait a moment, at least let Mama lock the door first."

"Ah..."

The little child seemed a bit confused when looking at my face. The child's mother started looking in the same direction.

As our eyes met, I smiled as usual.

"Um, is this really Mrs. Kamizaki's apartment?"

"This is the place. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Thank goodness. Actually, I'm a new resident here for room 67. Please assist me from now on."

For a moment, the woman's face looked tense, then she tried to calm herself down.

"So, you're our new neighbor, huh? I hope you'll enjoy staying here."

"I hope so too. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Edamura Zaizen, a new student at Kokujou University."

"Nice to meet you. My name is Akibayashi Touko."

As we shook hands, I could feel that the woman's hand appeared to be trembling.

"Is this little girl your daughter, Akibayashi-san?"

"Yes, her name is Akibayashi Kouka."

Unconsciously, the little girl was already beneath me, tightly hugging my right leg.

"Big brother, it feels warm."

"Eh..."

Not only was I surprised, but even Akibayashi-san began to pull her daughter back.

"Kouka-chan, stop that. You've been impolite to Edamura-san."

She then bowed to me.

"I apologize for my daughter's behavior."

"You don't need to apologize; she's still a child."

"Is that so? Thank you for your understanding."

For the first time, I saw Akibayashi-san smile.

"Besides, I think you're in a hurry; it's better if you accompany your daughter to where she wants to go."

"Ah, that's right. I almost forgot about that."

"In that case, I'll take my leave."

I left their location.

On the other side, the two of them started descending the apartment. As they walked towards the shopping center, the woman began to ask something to her daughter.

"Touko-chan, you should behave politely and not do things like that to Edamura-san."

"But, big brother looked very nice and warm."

"Why does Touko-chan say that? Have you met him somewhere before?"

"No, I saw him for the first time. But, I just feel that he's not a bad person."

"So, does this mean you stared at him first?"

"Yes, when I saw him approaching. The gloomy aura from the room next to ours started to fade, and for some reason, I felt warm on my own."

Upon hearing my daughter's words, I began to think that the young man is not an ordinary person.

When I opened the door to my room for the first time, I immediately understood.

"This is a nice and spacious place, but if fools intend to cause trouble, I won't hesitate with anyone."

I placed my bag down and just sprawled on the bed.

"Ah, it feels comfortable. Traveling from Tokyo to Zairyou City indeed takes a lot of time."

While checking my smartphone notifications, there were dozens of unread messages and missed calls. This was just a few minutes since I diverted my attention from my phone.

"It seems that my older brother and sister are really upset because I left without notice. But, oh well, I already got permission from Mom."

I placed my smartphone on the table and lay down while looking towards the window. Suddenly, my vision felt blurry, and I felt sleepy. I closed my eyes for a moment, but I immediately opened them, and when I realized, my room was already dark.

"It seems I fell asleep; it's already night. Time to cook dinner."

When I turned on the room light, the atmosphere in this room began to feel silent. I already suspected that there wouldn't be an agreement without any problems.

I opened my bag and took out some instant food while waiting for my meal to cook. I turned on the TV and searched for some interesting comedy shows.

Suddenly, there was a knocking sound from my room door.

"Yes, please wait a moment."

After making sure the stove was off, I quickly opened the door. I could see Akibayashi-san standing in front of me.

"Um, I cooked too much miso soup. If you want, I can share it with you."

"Really? I'll gladly accept it. I'm really hungry."

She smiled at me.

"I suspected this would happen. Also, is everything okay with you now?"

"My body is fine, thank you for your concern."

"In that case, don't hesitate to ask me anything."

"In that case, may I ask if this room has been vacant for too long?"

Upon hearing my question, Akibayashi lowered her gaze for a moment. As if intending to say something important, she took a few breaths.

"Not too long. The last person who occupied this room was about 2 months ago. Do you feel uncomfortable being here?"

"Of course, I feel comfortable. The room is spacious and well-equipped. In fact, I plan to stay here as long as possible until I graduate."

"I see. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here, Edamura-san. I'll go back to check on my daughter now."

For some reason, as she said that, Akibayashi's face turned pale again when leaving me. When I looked back, the atmosphere in the room felt even colder. However, I didn't care and started eating what Akibayashi-san gave me. It tasted really good; luckily, I got a good neighbor. After that, I decided to rest.

When I turned off the light to sleep quickly, the room started to look darker. However, I decided to just close my eyes.

I heard faint whispers in my ears. Although not clear, there was a sense of sadness and suffering. I didn't care about any of it. The more I let it be, the clearer the voices became.

At a time like this, it started to disgust me. Suddenly, the balcony door of my room began to open by itself, accompanied by a strong gust of wind. Laughter from dozens of voices began to echo throughout the room.

When I opened my eyes, I could see a severely injured man floating above me. With a face as if he had just been in an accident, he continued to stare at me with a disgusting smile. Not only that, many other ghosts suddenly appeared as if welcoming my arrival. Most of them had terrifying faces.

As I was about to stand up, one of the ghosts moved at high speed towards me. In an instant, my neck was strangled by that ghost, and while continuing to laugh, it started talking.

"Die or leave."

 
2