New ruler and new problems
177 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the end of the phone call, which lasted a few seconds, Aunt May rushes upstairs and, at my request for an explanation of what had happened and if I could help her, May only answers me once she returns to the same floor.

"There was an accident a little while ago because of an attempt to rob an armored car carrying money and gold on behalf of a bank. An explosion occurred in the middle of the Lincoln Tunnel, involving a lot of people. Now the emergency rooms in the area, even the one I work in, are full and need more manpower. They called me to go and help them." Aunt May says as she goes to put on her coat.

"Was it that bad? Do you want me to drive you to the hospital? I can wait outside until you're done and then I'll drive you back."

"No, Peter, don't worry. My friend who called me is going to pick me up, then she'll drive me home again when we're done. Don't wait up because I'm definitely gonna be late and you have school tomorrow, so get some rest."

"All right aunt, if you need me, call me, though." I say as I approach Aunt May, who is at the door, ready to leave.

"Okay, Peter, see you tomorrow then. Good night." She says as she leaves the house as soon as she hears the horn of her colleague's car.

The moment Aunt May is out, I rush to my room to get my phone.

I slip the wireless headphones that I have in the case of my pocket and, through the special app that I created, I tune into the police radio station in the hope of finding information about the accident.

In addition to the large number of wounded and a dozen deaths that there have been, including the death of looters, the only new information I have is that the one who triggered the explosion is a mutant.

Lately, since the ground on which the X-mansion is located has become a state of its own, there have been some incidents that seem to have been triggered by mutants, as in this case.

Lately, since the ground on which the X-mansion is located has become a state of its own, there have been some incidents that seem to have been triggered by mutants, as in this case.

Naturally, the faction that has an unjustified hatred of this minority is inflamed when this news arrives. despite all the times that that same minority they hate have saved their lives several times.

'The stupidity of racists has no limit apparently.' I think to myself, then I take one of the costumes that I have hidden under the bed.

"Better take a look in person."

***

After a city sweep, where I also foiled two muggings and a mini-market robbery, I'm going to position myself on one of the Chrystler building gargoyles, where I start to reflect on the little I discovered after visiting the scene of the accident and listening around.

After a city sweep, where I also foiled two muggings and a mini-market robbery, I'm going to position myself on one of the Chrystler building gargoyles, where I start to reflect on the little I discovered after visiting the scene of the accident and listening around.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything important about the incident, but according to the police investigation, there was no direct intervention by the robbers prior to the explosion.

No attempt to hijack the armored car or an assault attempt on the road, because if something like this happened, the drivers of the armored vehicle or the patrol that followed them would have implemented countermeasures.

This, however, did not happen according to the first reconstruction they made of what might have happened.

Listening to the conversation that took place between the officers of the patrol that followed the van, also involved in the accident, and those who were driving the armored car, they noticed that there is no sign that suggests the beginning of a robbery attempt.

Also, like this morning, the profiles of the perpetrators of this attempted robbery that ended in tragedy were simple pickpockets.

They had never gone beyond mugging, extortion, drug dealing, and robbery in small shops, and none of them had been identified as X-gene owners in past arrests.

If you take these things into account, it seems like the explosion is due to a mistake due to inexperience and bad planning, just as the police think, however there is something that does not make sense to me.

How is it possible that a mutant, who should usually be familiar with his power from puberty, cannot calibrate and control his power?

Even if the X gene had recently awakened, which is rare, he would have to have tested his powers to know how to use them before planning such a thing, or at least control them enough not to hurt himself.

Instead they ended up losing their lives too and this is a detail that the police neglect, thinking it is only a consequence of the explosions of other cars.

What if instead of going on a mission that turned out to be suicide, they were also taken aback by what happened?

If this was true, it would explain why none of them had ever manifested their mutant powers before rather than a sudden awakening or the possibility that they had hidden this all this time.

After all, if he could use a force that would generate an explosion like that for a long time, he probably wouldn't have been limited to simple muggings.

So I think the reason that the mutant that should have triggered the explosion was never a mutant in the first place.

Of course it's just a theory, based on my assumptions about certain things, however, if we connect it to what happened this morning and that vial...

The thought that would come to anyone is that that stuff is to give powers to normal people too.

For this reason, after my visit to the accident site and listening to the results of the first police investigation, I moved my investigation to the dark side of New York.

The criminal world was recently in turmoil because of the struggle that was born to decide who will take the place that Wilson Fisk, after his last visit to the penitentiary, seems to have abandoned because of his old age.

I thought I could use this excitement to find something useful besides clearing the streets a bit, yet it seems someone has already sat on that vacant throne.

A guy called Tombstone.

'They get more and more creative with nicknames I must say. I have to investigate better about the new hierarchy that has been created, but, first of all...'

From the backpack I fixed with cobwebs on the right side of the gargoyle where I am sitting, I pull out my phone and scroll through the contacts until I get to the name "Jacob Veech" and I look at it for a few seconds.

I don't have the slightest desire to contact that person, especially after that scene those jerks he controls did after they learned that I refused to join their group.

However, if what I suppose is real, the situation is so serious that it will be impossible for me to handle it by myself, so it is better to warn him, maybe he already knows something about it that I do not know.

After I snort, I write an encrypted message in which I summarize the situation, using the code he gave me the first time we met in case I should contact him and then I start circling the streets of New York to continue my investigation.

5