[V.2] Ch. 1.8 – Deadman walking
190 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, I packed everything before our morning run, telling Freya to do the same. After the training, I then went to the guild to tell John to stop looking for sparring partners.

“Fine, there’s no one booked anyway,” he said. Not many were showing up after the first days, after all.

“I didn’t expect you to quit so soon, though.”

“Things came up. I can’t come quite as often,” I told him.

I’d need other ways to have some spars. Maybe even go to the mountains to find orcs to fight. That would have to wait until I learned how to move around in them from Odwic and Cato.

Going out by the bar to greet Markus on my way out, I heard that the Merchant left a message. He wanted to see me again.

“Did something happen?” Markus said, slightly concerned.

It didn’t seem Maximus told him anything, but it wasn’t hard to guess. We’d have fixed our next meeting on our own after all, if everything was fine.

“Don’t worry, a little issue cropped up, and we couldn’t proceed with the talks,” I told him.

Well, “little issue” is a true understatement, but better not worry the old man.

Maximus was already available the following day and since I had nothing to do I accepted the invitation. Then I’d have Cato and Odwic lessons the two days after.

I spent the rest of the day looking for places to stay, and then, in the evening, I changed my inn. Freya had her own on the other end of the street. I waited a few hundred meters away from the building while she went inside to book her room, then we walked away to have dinner.

I wasn’t sure how much these measures would help, but I did all I could think of.

“So, how was it? It wasn’t so hard, right?” I asked her.

“It wasn’t,” she said, though her tone was still gloomy.

I held back a sigh, hoping she’d brighten up soon.

I really hope she’ll not become like Zeph. Her role was to brighten up my mood, not bring it down. Life would be too depressing with only moody people around.

We then scheduled a meeting place, and we went back to our rooms.

Feels a bit lonely now, I thought, lying on my bed. It seems I got used to having her around.

The next day, after the morning routine with Freya, we went to the trading company.

We were brought directly to Maximus. Joshua was already there this time.

“I apologize again for unsettling you the other day,” he said after we greeted each other.

“Don’t worry. I shouldn’t have reacted so badly, knowing you were trying to help. I kinda overreacted.”

“Everyone has his scars,” said the man, “Good morning to you too, young lady. It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Maximus.”

“A-A pleasure. I’m Freya,” said the visibly flustered girl.

It evidently wasn’t a comfortable place for her — it may remind her of where she used to work — but she’d get used to it.

Maximus nodded with a wide smile.

“Before we start, how about checking your status? So we can put this story behind us and start to work towards our cooperation.”

I agreed, and he led me to another room, which had a pedestal with some holes and levers on it.

That must be that damned thing of the church.

“What are those levers and holes for?” I asked.

I could see Freya looking at the pedestal curiously too. Joshua was just standing near the door silently.

“A common question. As you know, it’s extremely rude for a non-Priest to look at the whole status of a person, so we’re only allowed to give certain requirements for the people coming in. We have to insert those little slips on the device, based on the specific Skill we require, or a subset of Skills we don’t want. Like the ones influencing minds or changing appearance,” he started explaining while he set up the object.

“We can also check which category the Class belongs to, but not the specific Class name. If everything goes well, this orb here glows, otherwise it’s that one. If you’re unblessed, the device will simply not show any reaction,” he finished explaining.

“All is ready,” he said, looking up. “Who wants to go first?”

I went, then Freya. To both of us, it showed no reaction, as expected.

“Wonderful. I knew you were fine, but it’s nice to have confirmation,” said the Merchant.

I nodded.

“But why do you have such a thing here? Isn’t it expensive?” I asked, curious.

“Fairly expensive to set up, yes. Especially since you have to prepare all those slips for specific Skills, but after that, it’s only routine maintenance by a Priest,” he said.

“I set it up since it makes it easier to check those who want to join our caravans. They don’t have to spend money at the church for a certificate, so we have more people coming and less overall expenses for the voyages. It more than repays its expenses,” he explained.

“Also, employees are happier since they can easily ask for a raise when their Skills and Classes Level up!” he said with a laugh.

“Isn’t that worse for you?” I asked baffled.

He laughed again, shaking his head. “No, they’d do it anyway, but they’d grumble about it because of the cost, and they’d also ask for a higher raise. So it’s better to have this instead.”

Uh, that seems right.

We then went back to his office and he took out a few drinks before we started the talks.

He gave Freya, who was sitting next to me, a non-alcoholic one, while Joshua just had some water.

He’s changed the carpet, I thought idly as he put things on the small table.

The conversation started with him closing the previous topic of the bounty, saying that he’d search for another way to solve the problem.

“It will be dangerous, though, so please understand that it won’t be something I can do quickly,” he added.

It could put him in a bad light to the church if they found out, to say the least, so I couldn’t say anything against it.

He was also the one who had the upper hand in the negotiation, since he could get rid of me by just sending a word to the Priests.

I detest feeling so vulnerable. It felt like he had a blade in my throat.

I knew there was something he wanted, or he wouldn’t have bothered with all this. I didn’t intend to become his bitch, though, so I’d have to see what he’d request of me.

If worse comes to worst, I’ll just agree, leave the building, and flee the city with Freya.

I was about to ask what he wanted in exchange, but he beat me to it.

“In the meantime, I would be extremely pleased if you could help me with a task. I need someone to fight as my champion in the underground arena. Would you like to participate?”

“What? Why?” I asked, baffled.

He gave a small laugh as he sipped on his whiskey. “When you ask yourself why a Merchant does something, just know that in nearly all cases it’s because of money.”

“You’re betting?” I asked incredulously.

“Almost! Hahaha,” he laughed. “But no. Let’s say it’s a way to settle scores and management rights without resorting to more destructive measures. Some dirty plays are inevitable, but it’s much better than directly waging war within the city.”

“So, you’re doing underground business too?” I asked.

“Mm, not exactly. Let’s say I saw an opportunity and I took it. Don’t worry about it, and also about others finding your identity. I have the perfect way for that,” he told me with a wide grin.

“Well… seems fine, but I’ll have to see a contract first, and I won’t be a participant forever. We need to set a limit,” I told him.

I couldn’t pry on his business, but I’d have to make sure of what he was asking me. Plus, if I had a contract signed by him, he’d be more careful going to the church.

“Oh, don’t worry, I’ll have everything prepared. I just wanted to be sure you were up to it before. And since we’re at it, we can discuss how we’ll proceed for the more… legal side of our partnership,” he assured.

He then explained how we’d assist various people in his company and learn how to run things. Freya seemed really nervous, but I was sure she’d do well.

“Too bad there’s that bounty. I would have sent you on the ship heading for Caldris with my son. It’s always nice to see how things are run in the field, and having one more guard wouldn’t be bad anyway.”

Yeah, fucking bounty, I thought, and then remembered something.

“By the way, why did you say there were many new wanted posters the other day? Did something happen?”

Maximus shrugged.

“I don’t know. Maybe the Lord was enraged by the bandits' stunt last month. He put quite the high bounty on each of their heads,” he answered.

Or maybe someone lost an important coin. I had to make sure it was well hidden.

Then we planned another meeting the next week, and we left the company.

Things seem to be under control. I thought while I walked back.

I had enough surprises to last me for a while, so I hoped things would calm down, for at least a few months, so that I could train myself and Freya in peace.

I think the damned gods heard my wish, though, since they decided to spit on it right after.

It was when I was walking back to the inn, that I suddenly stopped, staring in front of me.

A moment later I asked Freya who had followed my gaze and was staring open-eyed too, “Is it just me, or there’s a dead man walking there?”

There, amidst the people on the road, was a young man walking toward us.

It was Zeph.

6