[V.1] Ch. 7.9 – Decisions
263 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I observed the matches, I was also disappointed in the performance of the combatants. Too much flair, with little effectiveness. Gladiators did play for the audience, but they were also taught how to fight well. The brutal training also ensured that after a few years, most of them had a certain level of skill.

The ones here were flashy buffoons compared to them. I caught sight of one that wasn’t half bad, so maybe there were a few worth fighting, but probably there weren’t many other than him.

It could be a good way to make money if I ever needed it.

Unfortunately for Larin though, I had no intention to step down there now. Contrarily to other gladiators, I didn’t have much of a flair while fighting, since I eliminated all unnecessary movements from my fighting style. I also didn’t plan to play around, since I knew all too well the cost of mistakes.

People would find my fights short and boring, and they’d demand blood. Then I’d have to become a butcher or stop coming here to fight.

Yes. I better leave this as a last resort.

Larin should find another way to get the money he needs.

I told him that I wouldn’t participate after we left. He whined a bit, but I stood my ground. We were just acquaintances, and ones that started on the wrong foot to boot. He should’ve been more careful with his money.

He left depressed, but he told me he’d let me know about the spar with his team.

The following day started with Freya training as usual, and then I went to the bar, where I had an appointment with Markus to let me know what his friends said.

The merchant, Maximus, was busy this week, but I could talk to the other two. He said they were lovers and that they'd come together at the meeting, if I didn't mind.

It was better for me, since it saved time to talk with both at the same time, so, two days later, I finally met Cato and Odwic.

The first one was a big guy, though not as much as me, with a wide forehead and brown eyes — he had a sunny personality. The second was smaller and with white, sparse hair and deep blue eyes. He didn’t talk much and looked a bit disinterested.

“I should say,” said Cato after we introduced ourselves, “That we would have still come, since it was Markus request, but I was quite skeptical about your chances of learning something without Skills. After hearing your exploits in the cage, I got curious, though. I’m still not convinced you’re Classless, but we’ll see what you can do at least.”

He seemed like a straightforward guy.

“We’ll teach you some theory then see what you and little Freya can do in practice and decide what to do from then on. For now, how about thirty silvers for two theory lessons and two outings each for me and Odwic?” he asked.

It was a bit more than I expected.

“What do you plan to do in those lessons?” I asked back.

“Nice question! In my case the morning of the first day I’ll give you a basic rundown of the type of animals we can find around here, their habits, and how to track them, then we’ll go over to plants in the afternoon, and I’ll explain where you can find and harvest them, and a few simple uses. I’m not sure how long it will take you to memorize that, so I’ll wait until you send me a message before fixing the second day. Then I’ll check what you’ve learned and correct or add details when I see the need. Seems fine for now?” he asked.

“Looks good,” I answered.

“Very well,” he said happily, “I’ll suggest you a few books to aid in your study later. In our outings in the wild, we will put in practice what you have learned. First day, you’ll just follow me and look at how I do things. I’ll spot the plants and tracks, then I’ll hunt a hog or something else, and I’ll show you how to skin and butcher it. We’ll then make camp and the following day you’ll try to put into practice what you learned. I’m not asking you to hunt, just to recognize the plants and spot tracks, and not lose yourself in the forest… by the way, you don’t know how to use bows right?”

I glanced at Freya, who was sitting silently beside me, and shook my head.

“No, we never used one,” I answered. “Is that a problem?”

“Nice if you can, but still fine if you can’t. We’ll talk about it after these lessons,” he said, before looking at his companion.

“Your turn Od?” he asked.

There was a grunt of assent.

“Same as Cat. Just that I’ll teach you how to navigate and camp in difficult terrain and climates, though given the location you’ll just have to do some climbing, the rest is theory. You’ll also learn how to recognize different minerals, and how to search for them. I’ll also show you how to memorize and explain the route to a location to someone else. How you’ll manage without the appropriate Skills is up to you two. I’ll just explain to you how I do it, and that’s all,” he said tersely.

I got the impression he’d rather be doing something else than teaching me.

“I see. Well, looks fine to me,” I said.

Let’s see how it goes for the first lessons, I thought.

“Good. Now that that’s out of the way, what do you think about maps?” asked Odwic, suddenly staring at me intensely.

That took me a bit by surprise.

“Why do you ask?” I asked cautiously. Maps were not something commoners could own, so it was better to move with caution when talking about them.

Cato, from his side, rolled his eyes at him, before looking around at the mostly empty bar.

“Curiosity,” he said, still staring at me intently. “Have you ever seen one?”

He seemed a bit too interested in the topic for it to be just that, but I didn’t see what he was on about.

“Well, I did, but I didn’t understand much about it,” I answered.

“I also don’t own one, if that’s what you’re asking,” I added, just to be sure.

He looked at me for a few moments until Cato nudged him on the side.

“I see,” he said, a bit disappointed.

I was slightly confused.

Seeing Freya calmly listening from my side, I asked angrily, “Have you been trafficking around maps without my knowledge?”

She looked at me like a startled deer for a moment before shaking her head.

“Good, I’m watching you,” I said, narrowing my eyes, at her uncomprehending look. Then I turned toward the seniors, sporting the same confused face as her. “Don’t worry, the moment she’ll get her hands on one I’ll catch her. No map shall pass under my nose without you knowing.”

I looked at them, feeling satisfied. I shall not be the only confused one!

Then Cato started laughing.

“You have a funny brother,” he said to Freya, after letting it out.

Odwic just shook his head while Freya pouted.

“Just saying, but you’re already the second guy I met talking about illegal business since I came to this city, and openly in a bar too. Feels a bit strange,” I said to Odwic.

Cato snorted.

“The city is full of illegal business. The lord allows it, so long that people don’t step over the line. That said, selling and buying maps is stepping over that line, so you better be careful when talking about it,” he said, giving Odwic a sidelong glance. “I’m using a Skill that muffles the sound going out after a certain range, that’s why we’re talking about it so openly.”

“Really? I didn’t notice.” I looked around. He didn't make any move, or I'd have seen him.

“It’s one of my best Skills. Just a thought and I can move around like a Cat on the hunt,” he said, chuckling. “What’s the other illegal business you were talking about?”

“The underground arena,” I answered.

“Oh, that. Yes, pretty sure the lord knows about it.” He waved it off.

I wonder why Larin was giving me that “hypothetical” bullshit, though.

“Why is the Lord so… permissive?” I asked.

Cato shrugged.

“I’m not sure, but I know he’s not a fool. He’s managed the city well despite everything, so he must have his reasons,” he replied.

“He just wants them where he's got eyes and hears,” added Odwic. “No sense purging them when they’ll crop up somewhere you can’t see. The civil war also didn't improve things.”

We kept chatting for a few more minutes and scheduled the first lessons for the following week, since they still had to plan how to conduct them. Then they left.

"So, excited Freya?" I asked.

"A bit nervous," she admitted. "But they seemed nice."

"Well, that Odwic only seemed interested in his business, but we'll see," I said, opting for a wait and see approach.

I was fired up about learning how to survive in the wild. It was one of my dreams when I was a kid, so I'd be happy even if they just taught me the basics.

My mood was getting better and better.

There was still the meeting with the Merchant, but I was sure there wouldn’t be any problem.

I really made a good decision in staying here and accepting Markus’ proposal.

Things were looking good.


 

10