Chapter 6, in which the hero is betrayed by his relatives and servants, but he finds the bright side even in troubles
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6, in which the hero is betrayed by his relatives and servants, but he finds the bright side even in troubles

* * *

The first rays of sunlight touched Han, and he opened his eyes. As he squirmed on the hard, uncomfortable bed, he felt the usual hatred and resentment. He had been deprived of his luxurious quarters with a soft couch and cushions, a comfortable bed, a scroll table, and tightly curtained windows, all with the words, "Don't get attached to things, student"

After that, the bastard master took to dwelling in Han's chambers. It was a thousand times more humiliating than if he had just kicked him in the stomach. Han had been assigned a small, dark room, a room that even the servants would have shunned, but with only one small window facing East. Han had no idea how the villain had achieved this, how he had managed to combine the opposite things, but despite the darkness and dreariness of the room, the first rays of the sun shone into his eyes, blinding him and forcing him to get out of bed. There was no way to turn over to the other side. The rays reflected off the nearest wall, and the thin rice mat that served as a blanket did not protect from the light!

When Han decided to cover the window with his clothes, he regretted it. In the morning, his master lifted him out of bed with a merciless kick. He not only quoted Han's saying, "A warrior is vigilant at all times, even at night," but also called what had happened a giveaway! A courtesy, out of respect for his parents!

"New day, new heights," came a hateful voice from outside.

Han gritted his teeth. He knew he was supposed to keep an icy calm and ignore all taunts, but how could he do that when the bastard was using his favorite sayings and twisting their deeper meanings? He wipes himself with priceless scrolls and uses Han's favorite brush set to pick his ear or worse! For days and nights, he thinks of ways to humiliate Han even more, not only to abuse his body, not only to break his mind but also to destroy his soul!

But as a true future hero, Han won't give in and show him! In the meantime...

"Yes, Master!" he shouted, jumping outside.

If there was one thing Han was prepared for, it was trouble and suffering. So when he saw Mei standing in the dabu stance, he was so surprised that he even stumbled and nearly sprawled on the ground. Of course, the stance suited her as well as anything, but where had she come from? Why so early in the day? Had the villainous master shown up at the manor even earlier and chased her away for the torture called training?

"Very good, apprentice. It's nice to see that your lessons don't go to waste," he gave Han a look that made him want to kill him. "As I said, apprentice, you're harmonious, so there's no need to go all the way back to the beginning. If Han is an egg, a fat tadpole that has yet to become a carp, you are already a rainbow trout from an icy mountain stream."

Han clenched his teeth again. He admired Mei, of course, but she, unlike Han, had not been through the myriad of abuse. She'd never had her arms and legs broken, been thrown into a river, or forced to carry huge heavy sacks through forest thickets. She had never had a quote twisted, her mother cheated, or had her favorite foods devoured in front of her eyes! Eh, if Mei had gone through the same agony, she would definitely feel sorry for Han and take his side. And then they could pounce on the scoundrel together, taking him by surprise to finally snap that vile neck! And then they would definitely live happily ever after! Together!

"But never stop, never become complacent," the villain continued. "After all, a trout is not yet a dragon."

"Yes, Master!" Mei exclaimed.

Han felt as if a blade had been thrust into his heart and slowly pulled. To him, the words "Yes, Master" meant pain, fear, suffering, hatred, and disgust. So why does Mei shout them out with such joy and anticipation? Why does she look forward to more abuse and torment?

"My sincere congratulations, Young Master!" A vaguely familiar voice snapped him out of his musings.

Han looked up, but he turned his head away when he saw that he was being greeted by one of the servants hurrying about their business. Congratulations? What could he be congratulated on during this humiliation? Or were these ungrateful creatures mocking him?

On the way to the training ground, two more servants suddenly congratulated Han. It was not only infuriating, but it was also baffling. Not only did they not help him in his time of need, not bring food, not help him escape, and not only did they take the side of that rogue scoundrel mockingly called teacher by gods and demons, but now they were also congratulating him! For what? Humiliation? Beatings? That Mei Lin will see all of this now?

He guesses that's the point - the peasants don't appreciate a good attitude. They only rejoice when their lord is in trouble. Once more, a suitable quotation was on the tip of his tongue, and his hands itched to find a brush to write it down, but a wave of resentment washed that impulse away.

"Why?" Han muttered with shaky lips. "Have I ever offended you?

Unfortunately, it was not the servants who heard those quiet words.

"If you have the strength to speak and resent it, then the balance of your qi is shifted toward the mouth. We will, of course, correct that. How exactly, student?"

"Perhaps you'll make me stand in a stance, Master? Or run?" Han replied.

"That's terrific! As you can see, regular exercise has made you very savvy. One hundred laps, knees to chest!"

"Yes, Master!"

Han sighed habitually and ran, bringing his knees up, ignoring the ache in his muscles and stomach, the burning in his meridians from the qi held back. He knew there was no point in arguing or complaining, all that was left was to endure, endure the torture. But his concentration nearly failed when he saw Mei, who had been forced to do nothing, running alongside him, repeating his movements with apparent eagerness. Mei surged forward, and Han saw a slender, beautiful leg flicker through the high neckline of her qipao. Qi surged to a point in his lower abdomen, but the exhaustion of running didn't even allow his body to react in the most natural way. Instead of excitement, only frenzy arose. The master was beside Mei, groping her diligently, pretending to correct her movements. Han closed his eyes and ran forward to avoid the abuse. But, alas, it didn't help, it was even worse - whether it was his sense of qi or his imagination, he could feel and see everything in great detail. Han bit his lip in frustration, and drops of blood dripped onto the trampled earth of the training ground.

* * *

Han walked slowly, closing his eyes and even biting his still sore tongue with effort. The clot of qi that had accumulated in his stomach was transferring energy into his palms. He didn't have a lot of time because the minutes when the villainous master would give Han a break and let him do his own thing could be counted on the fingers of his hand. It was into those fingers that Han channeled his qi, simultaneously trying to disguise himself and disappear into space. He could, of course, send qi to his eyes as well, but he didn't want to see some ruthless and emotionless ancestor again.

His palm slid down the wall, and the qi fluttered and penetrated inside. There was no one in the room, so Han went on to the next room. Unfortunately, the mansion was large, and Han only knew the general direction of the search. Soon, luck smiled on him - the qi penetrating through the wall felt someone's very familiar energy. Mei! Han almost shrieked with joy, but by the greatest effort of will, he held himself back.

There was only one explanation for Mei's occupancy of the room next to Han's, and that was that she had a thing for him. Preparing to duck and block a possible blow to the head, Han looked around the corner, but there was no one in the next hallway, and there was no blow. He exhaled quietly, calming down, and went to the door.

Holding his breath once more, Han pushed open the door. Fortunately, it was unlocked, a very good sign. Mei's pure and bright qi beckoned, so Han cast aside all doubts and stepped forward. The sun shining through the open window was blinding, but he didn't stop, moving toward the silhouette in the shadows.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Han said, sobbing. "I'm glad I'm not alone, but with you!"

He cast aside all doubts. He decided to open his heart and tell her everything he thinks. After all, that's what true heroes should do!

"I finally got a kind word out of you, student!" cut the silence with the most disgusting voice in the world. "But since you forgot to add 'master,' it means that you and I are going to have a new training session!"

Han never could tell whether he had passed out on his own, from hatred and dashed hopes, or whether his master had helped him with an apt blow to the head.

* * *

Han didn't know if it was because of yesterday's accident, or because of his master's nasty temper, or because of all of them, but today he was picking on Han for no reason at all. He was constantly nagging, ridiculing, and punishing him for his failures. And that caused more mistakes, which led to more punishments.

It was different with Mei, of course. When she practiced, he only praised, groomed, and groped her, still under the guise of correcting her stances and movements. Han cried inwardly in despair as the scoundrel used the same demonic techniques that had bewitched Han's parents, warriors, and servants!

"You can't train all the time," the master said, not even paying attention to the contradiction of his words. "Training should not only be interrupted but also alternated. One should intersperse the strengthening of the body with the training of the mind, then develop the strength of the spirit, and then start again - so that every aspect of the Great Triad develops harmoniously. You can't be tense all the time. Body, mind, and spirit need rest to recover. But rest does not mean idleness. If these aspects are not pushed forward to the limit of what is possible and beyond, the carp will never be able to pass through the dragon's gate. Contradictory, isn't it?"

"Yes, Master!" Han replied in a machine-like manner.

To demons and spirits all these dragons and triads. I don't want to learn. I want to go back in time without all these teachers, spirits, and my father's cruelty! Well, not completely, of course, some good things are there now! Han thought, squinting his eyes at Mei Lin, who was frozen in a graceful stance. Han was already shaking with fatigue, and that quiet, hateful voice made him want to fall asleep on the spot.

But he knew not to give in to the impulse. Not anymore, for he had already suffered the consequences more than once. Instead of a hard bed in a cramped room, he would wake up in the morning on the ground, stiff and weak, with rocks embedded in his sides and back and a headache. And, of course, instead of sending Han to the doctor, the master made him run even more laps and carry even heavier stones. Saying: "You've slept for so long, so you must be well rested!" and "A good workout is the best remedy for any ailments!". Han's eyes flickered, and qi surged through his body with a fervor. That would not let him fall asleep so as not to show Mei an inappropriate and unsightly sight.

"This is the kind of contradiction that makes up everything in our world. This is how one approaches the boundary of mastery and then crosses it. But true mastery has an extra step. When the body is trained, the spirit and mind are free. When the mind is trained, body and spirit are free. Thus, one of the three aspects is always idle and lazy, quite like our Han. The solution to this problem is simple but, at the same time, complex. One must train two of the three aspects at once, letting only one of them rest and recover. Memorize scrolls, practice with sword and spear, develop stamina and endurance."

"But I've read that it's better to focus on one thing!" Mei said.

Han was in complete agreement with her. For example, he was good at calligraphy and had reached unprecedented heights, but after all this abuse, he wouldn't be able to write even the simplest character smoothly.

"Perhaps," the master agreed abruptly. "But only if one is satisfied with being deficient in everything else. Not moving forward is moving backward."

"But you can't be good at everything!" Mei didn't give up. "For example, you can't circulate qi in all of....."

The master laughed, cutting her off half-heartedly.

"You're talking about the three dantian points, of course," he was still snorting. "Upper, lower, and middle."

Mei nodded.

"A scientist, alchemist, or magician concentrates qi in the head, a doctor or healer in the heart, and a warrior in the stomach. Everyone knows this. This is how it has been practiced for centuries. Every person practicing techniques tried to develop two or three points - and, of course, was convinced of the slow progress. They saw that they were overtaken by peers and rivals. Developing only one point is painful and difficult. Two is unbearable, and three is a nightmare. Where is the reward? Where is the forward movement? Why is it so slow, like a tadpole floundering in the mud, compared to the swift and skittish movement of fry through streams of water?"

Han bit his lip. Don't sleep! He must stay awake! He must know his enemy, this was the only way to help Mei, who had already been bewitched!

But can a foolish and cowardly warrior be considered strong? Can a scientist who has turned his body into a wreck be considered smart? Will a fool who is strong in spirit but weak in body succeed? Yes, it is very difficult to increase the strength and amount of qi, yes, with three points it requires much more, and the result is many times slower. So what? A tadpole that is constantly moving towards the goal will eventually overtake those stupid fish, reach the waterfall, and rush up!

Han snorted. Of course, he had been called a tadpole more than once, but he knew that sooner or later, he would think of something to escape this villain's claws and snatch Mei and Mother! Yes, he had to obey, but that didn't mean he would listen to this scoundrel and do everything willingly! A normal person can't subject himself to such torment! The fact that Mei came on her own is the best proof! It means she was bewitched. Her mind was clouded! Why should he be surprised? Villains in crystals do it all the time!

The scoundrel master must have used sorcery to get a prediction of the future. He must have done it in some particularly disgusting way, like throwing bone plates made from the skulls of innocent people. From this prediction, he found out that only a mighty Han warrior could stand in his way. That's why he came here, not only to thwart but to bewitch everyone around him: his father, mother, servants, Mei, and even the family guardian spirits! He tortures Han every day, enjoying his suffering as he should while trying to lead him astray from the right path! But the bastard didn't realize that Han himself is not affected by these charms, that he can see right through them. And yes, the fact Han obeys the villain's orders is not because he is afraid of pain and suffering but because it's a clever trick designed to put his guard down and then strike a precise and deadly blow!

"But if developing all three points is so good, why isn't everyone around us doing it?" Mei asked.

The master only shook his head.

"Every action, like every inaction, has advantages and disadvantages. As I said, developing multiple points is long, painful, and difficult. Have you seen many people practicing qi? And the basics are available to almost everyone. Just go to the nearest city and visit the library, which, by the grace of the Emperor, is free of charge to aristocrats and commoners alike!"

"And there are secret techniques in there?" Han became animated. If he could sneak into such a library and learn the secret way to manipulate qi, then he could not only defeat the master but also impress the girl of his dreams! Nao Manor certainly had a huge library, and his father had repeatedly tried to get him to read those dusty scrolls and books, but all he had achieved was Han's healthy sleep because the books were full of boring diagrams and pictures. The Almanac of Heroes! That's where it's real!

"No, my silly tadpole!" laughed the master. "The secret techniques are secret, so they are not available to everyone. But even if you learn the basics and practice it tirelessly, you can get health, longevity, and strength. But as you can see, qi practitioners are very few even among those who have all the capabilities, such as the admirable and generous Mrs. Lihua."

Han clenched his teeth - like he did every time that bastard talked about Mother.

"But the dantian..." Mei reminded.

"The same is true for them. Practicing the development of all three points is many times more difficult than practicing one. It's slow. It doesn't produce visible results. It's painful and hard. I can't even say that it's really that much better. After all, by focusing on one thing, a person can achieve more in a given area. Especially since qi is qi, a warrior can use healing techniques, a mage or alchemist can use warfare, and a talisman master can create potions and pills. The only way to grasp the subtleties of a skill is to use the right tool. Only comprehensive development allows one not only to comprehend such subtleties but also to learn something new - just by being able to use qi idifferently to look at an obstacle from a different angle.

"But Han... Mei murmured, and Han's heart soared with joy at her concern. You're teaching him to use only the lower dantian."

Aha! Even though she was bewitched, Mei revealed all the villain's plans!

"Of course," the bastard easily agreed. "Because the lowest point of qi is in the abdomen. And Han's stomach is very large, so it's the easiest place to start. You can achieve a lot with coercion. But, alas, only up to a certain point. In order to become someone great, you have to strive for it yourself."

"And me? What about me?"

"I see in you an aspiration to become something more than you are now. And with you, my task is immeasurably easier. I don't have to force you. I just have to show you the way and correct your mistakes. I see in you the desire for perfection, and that's all a teacher can want from a student. By the way, you deserve meat for asking the right questions."

"What?" Han howled like a wounded buffalo. "But why, why... Master?"

"If you had listened carefully, you would have realized that the mind is as much a weapon as the body, student," he said with a sneer. "You can fight with it, too."

"I read that in ancient times," May added, "it was not uncommon for a student to challenge a master to a duel of the minds."

"That's right. To prove that he had surpassed his master, he challenged him to a fight in every aspect. Only by winning the duels of spirit, mind, and body could he make the master truly happy."

"Happy?" Han marveled. "Defeated?"

"To raise a student who surpassed you, isn't that the highest honor for any master?" the bastard explained immediately. "I would truly rejoice in a duel of the minds. I'd even give you, my stupid tadpole of a student, credit for the exam, but...."

Han couldn't believe his happiness. This is it! Here was the chance to end all torment at once! Now, he would challenge the scoundrel to a duel of the minds, where he would first defeat with his knowledge of all the heroes and villains of the contemplative crystals and then smash him to pieces with quotes and wise sayings! It is not for nothing that this scoundrel always quotes only Han - he is only able to name-call a tadpole and always repeats a tedious and stupid story about carps and dragons!

"But what, master?" Mei asked impatiently.

"If our Han chooses a battle of minds, I'll have to give up the fight!"

"But why, Master?"

"There is no honor in defeating the unarmed!"

* * *

Han chewed the unpalatable food in concentration, thinking only of one thing: the cowardly master had been frightened by Han's wisdom and had shamefully fled from the fight. The meaning of the last phrase did not enter his tired mind immediately. He even resented it and almost made the mistake of looking at the contents of the bowl, but he quickly corrected himself. He shoveled the food into his mouth, trying not to look or smell, and even swallowing faster so he wouldn't taste it. And he was helped by Mei, on whom it was so easy and pleasant to focus his attention.

Alas, the master's vile sorcery was still working on Mei, who was still praising the vile brew, calling it "a delicious and healthy food that not only satiates you but also allows your body to grow stronger and more graceful." Han wanted to get up and yell, to break her out of her illusion, but he realized how useless that would be now that the villainous master was sitting on the bench next to him, eating the slop as if it were food from an imperial banquet. But maybe for the hole he'd crawled out of, it was.

When the dinner was over, the servants had gone about their business, and the master was gone Han, heroically overcame the urge to sleep, lingered, and approached Mei. And this time, not just to be in her company. No! He was going to expose her to the wickedness of the bastard master, to make her throw off her sorcery and see the truth! Here's your duel of the minds, you scoundrel! Take that!

"You're doing great, Han," Mei was the first to speak, "you're practicing so hard! You look much better!"

Han felt as if he had been hit in the forehead with a hammer, and he mentally yelled. Better? That stretched and thin face, the creases of skin all over his body, the circles under his eyes due to constant fatigue? He would have yelled out loud, but the master might not have gotten far enough away, or he might have stayed behind to eavesdrop and peek. That scoundrel would do a lot more than that!

"You finally stopped indulging your weaknesses and started eating right....."

Han couldn't bear it any longer. He ran, howling and scaring the servants away, back to his prison cell. Once inside, he collapsed on the bed and sobbed. But fatigue took its toll, and he fell into a troubled sleep.

Alas, the dream was short-lived. Something cold and wet fell on his head, and Han woke up, spitting the water.

"You forgot something, student," said the hateful voice. "training doesn't end when you want to go to bed, but when I say so."

The master stood in the palace garden, in the middle of the pond, right on the surface of the water, and held Han's leg, clearly showing the difference between them: like between a mountain and an ant, just like the main villain said in the crystals. Han felt like crying from helplessness. At times like this, the task of defeating the teacher seemed impossible.

"You must remember that you must never let your guard down anywhere, even in your own home. Especially at home!"

"Yes, Master," Han gurgled, going underwater again.

He tried to stand on the surface of the water, but he failed; he went back into the depths. But even the icy water could not douse the fire of resentment and despair at Mei's terrible words.

* * *

"These hardships are temporary, of course," the master proclaimed, setting the pole aside, "but you will never become like me."

Han had read repeatedly about heart and inner demons, and many of the heroes in the crystals had also been influenced by them. And before, they had seemed to him to be nothing worthy of attention. The heroes at such moments look weak and sissy, unable to pull themselves together at the decisive moment, unable to concentrate on the fight rather than on their worries.

But now, after Mei's bitter words, he felt the full extent of those demons' insidious and despicable influence. Even though he'd felt despair and confusion before, now it was an overwhelming weight. He couldn't concentrate. His movements became more difficult, causing him to make mistakes and slip-ups. And Mei Lin's presence made it all the worse.

The spear in Han's hands was trembling, and he could no longer fend off the blows of the master's pole, only desperately covering himself with his qi to soften the beating. Soon, the spear flew out of his hands and rolled on the stone slabs of the ground.

"The tadpole has swum a long way and is ready to become a fry, student," the bastard said. Despite his serious and even sympathetic tone, his words seemed mocking, "You just have to make an effort."

"Ye..., hafte," Han said. His bitten tongue was swollen and slurred, and his words came out slurred, but he didn't care.

He felt as if he were at the beginning of his training as if he hadn't been through this eternity of torture called training - all the agony felt vividly like the first time. The physical pain almost drowned out the mental pain, and it was only on the third attempt that Han lifted the spear and went to stand it up with the rest of his weapons.

"Young Master, let me help you."

Han looked up and saw the attractive maid standing before him in a low bow, holding out a towel.

"You need to be washed and rinsed of blood," the second maid added, bowing low as well.

They did not look at the bloody and battered Han with pity, subservience, or fear. No, there was something greedy and inviting in their gazes. He wasn't a naive young man, and he knew exactly what they meant, but the pain in his chest and back cut off any excitement. And it looked like another taunt from the bastard master. The self-important bastard had thought of a new way to humiliate and insult Han once the servants had stopped their mocking congratulations.

Hardships? Temporary? It's more like endless beatings and suffering!

"Fafrefayu," he replied, snatching up the towel.

But the maid clutched the other end, and with the towel, Han pulled her to him. She threw herself against his chest, and Han moaned in pain. She had hit a particularly painful abrasion. Han pushed the maid away, and when he noticed Mei's disapproving gaze, he angrily withdrew. He was expecting some retort to his pathetic behavior. But he heard something else:

"Student!"

"Ye..., hafte," He turned around with a sigh.

If Han was truly a hero of crystals, the very Heavens themselves would collapse from the pressure of his qi on the ground, and his fiery breath would turn everything around him into a desolate wasteland blazing with heat and lava flows.

"You've mastered qi, you know how to strengthen your body, but you still haven't cured the tongue? Shenlin stance!"

Han groaned with pain, but he stood on one leg, tucked the other at the knee, and stretched his arms up, imagining himself a tree reaching for the sun with spread fingers and branches. Despite the fact that he felt particularly stupid at times like this, it worked. A wave of heat traveled through his body, as if from Heaven, through his outstretched arms, to the Earth, through his firmly rooted foot. Han channeled that warmth into his tongue, trying to strengthen and heal.

Unfortunately, the mental turmoil made it hard to concentrate, so the excess qi hit his head, and Han collapsed to the ground. His eyes were covered with a purple veil, coloring the world with rage and hatred.

* * *

Han felt that his master's words about the Great Triad were true. His soul, body, and mind were now united in a Great Triad of fatigue that deprived him not only of the desire to do anything but even of pain and fatigue itself. He had no memory of where he was going or why, only the slow shuffling of his feet one by one. In moments of enlightenment, self-pity returned, then he quickened his step and, swallowing his tears, walked faster to his mother, whom he had not seen for so long!

There was only one person in the world who always understood him. And even despite her father's foolish oath, she'd always tried to help. She would help him now - she would talk to Mei, break the shroud of witchcraft, and then... and then... Han didn't know what would happen next, but he was sure everything would change for the better.

As a respectful son should, Han knocked on the door. His knees trembled and buckled, and the qi surged out of control, spilling out in a torrent. The polite knock turned into a powerful bang, and the door swung open with a deafening rumble and broke, hanging on one hinge.

"Han?" Mother exclaimed, amazed and a little frightened.

Han stared with all his eyes. Mom wasn't alone. In the same room with her, alone, without maids or guards, was the bastard master. And, of course, he was once again brazenly groping Mother!

And instead of being startled or ashamed at being caught off guard, the master only shifted his gaze slightly and shook his head unhappily.

"Student, student," the master's voice sounded disappointed. "Where are your manners? Qi control? Vigilance?"

He was reprimanding Han, but he continued to grope his mother's back and neck! It was as if he was not the one doing the shameful thing, but Han was the one who had done something unworthy of him.

"Out of respect for Mrs. Lihua, I'll leave you two alone," Han felt the promise of more punishment and torture in his burning gaze. "But tomorrow... Be ready tomorrow, student!"

Han didn't wait for the master to pass by. He jumped up to his mother, knelt in front of her, and took her palms in his hands.

"Mother, what has he done to you?"

With an agonizing rumble, the broken doors fell. The teacher stepped over them and strode away. Han knew he'd heard everything, but he didn't care now. Yes, tomorrow, there would be pain, there would be torture, and perhaps he would die in training. But the scoundrel was already trying to kill him every day. So, a day sooner or later, what did it matter?

"Mother, how dare he do such a thing to you?" Han repeated.

"It is at my request, son," Lihua replied and waved her hand. "Sit down!"

Han boiled up. At her request? Doing inappropriate things? He wanted to leave immediately, to lash out at the master again in a suicidal attack, but he stood up, as a good and respectful son should, went to the wall, grabbed the other chair, and sat down opposite his mother. The chair, though it looked solid and sturdy, turned out to be a flimsy, worthless newfangled contraption - the armrests cracked and spattered with splinters as soon as he grasped them.

"Father is returning with victory, so I have asked your master for help," Mother proclaimed.

"Dad's, uh... is coming back?" Han marveled.

Han missed his father, even though he was very stern, but he still loved all his children very much. But he remembered his foolish vow and all joy was gone, replaced by anger and despair.

"Yes. A messenger arrived yesterday. While the army is on its way to the capital with the trophies, he'll be able to get away and stop by home for a while. And thanks to your teacher, I can now greet your father properly!"

"Mom! He tricked you! He's influencing you! He's using his qi!" Han exclaimed, feeling his hopes crumble as the armrests of the chair in his hands shattered into splinters.

"Of course he does!" Mom smiled. "I feel stronger and healthier than I have ever felt in my life because of his qi!"

Han opened his mouth, but all the words he wanted to say disappeared. He only managed to moo, opening and closing his mouth like a silly carp.... or rather a tadpole.

"Honey, I am proud of you," Mother Lihua continued. "You have accomplished so much, even fulfilled your dream! Now, I can't call you Haonyu, for you are Han Nao, a son any mother would be proud of! And I feel so much..."

Han didn't finish listening. He jumped out of his chair, which rattled and crumbled, and ran away, out of place and widening the doorway. He knocked something over on the way and broke something - but no obstacle could stop him from running. Except a wall. A living wall in the form of a master who stood with a frown on his face and his arms folded across his chest.

"Disrespecting your parents is a very grave sin," the master shook his head, "But it's good that you're so eager to start practicing. Let's go to the training ground. I'll think of something special for you! Follow me!"

Han followed after his master, but his mother's betrayal drowned out even his fear of the pain and suffering to come. The only good news was that his father would soon arrive, and Han would tell him everything in color. And then the days of the bastard master would be over!

* * *

Chapter 7, in which the hero shows foresight, but this does not save him from more betrayals

Announcement
T.N. +5 chapters ahead on Patreon. Free trial.
0