Key to Venus: Chapter 7
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ORDER FOR LEZALTS!  RODENT JUMBLE!”  Two workers screamed orders into the kitchen behind them.  As they did, the customer at the front of a long line handed over a bowl which one would carry to the back; a paper note attached denoting the order and to whom the bowl belonged to.  It was like this that the Stew and Dine operated.  

People on the street would pass and be overtaken by the meaty smells coming from behind the bar.  They’d wait in line with bowls and containers in-hand to order, and sit on stools in front of the bar when their meal was ready.  

Rats and brown mice hanged from hooks in the back as the blood dripped out of them, and every so often a customer in line would point at which of the rodents they wanted in their stew to which Veter would happily oblige them.  Steam lept from the window of the kitchen where Veter would spend most of his time preparing dishes for the hungry customers, and left of the bar was a door propped open by a brick and swallowed with steam that led directly to him.  

If one braved the steam, such as I did, they’d come to a very simple corridor.  On the right were two doors that led to the bar and kitchen, and on the left was a set of stairs which led to the floor above.  The walls of this place were white and bubbly, and a black presence grew in every corner splotching the sides with dark spots that grew fainter the further they were from the corners.

“ORDER FOR RIHVA!  RAT ‘N VEGGIES!”

“AYE!  I HEARD YA, YOU DON’T NEED TO SCREAM SO LOUD–"  The man barking back was Veter, a brutal looking Canis.  His apron was splattered with blood, his fur was a dark gray with black blobs emanating from his claws and around his eyes.  I said before that he’d been in a war, but only when seeing him can I grasp how truly terrified his enemies must’ve been.  “Oi~ lad, ‘s that you, haha~”  The grisly Veter gave a hearty chuckle when our eyes met.  I used to eat here all the time when I was a kid, and knew Veter well because of it.  “Well no need to wait at the door, this ain’t the army, boy.  Come in, come in!”  Steam billowed out of the door and strained my eyes making it hard to see; even then, I could tell the fangs he so proudly shone in his smile were in stark contrast with the fluffy exterior of his face.

“You hear for a bite?  I got some fine vermin just in from the prairie.”

“No, none of that.  I actually have something for you.”

“Oh~ for me?  Well let’s have it then.”  I unzipped the satchel and showed him the contents, “It’s that one, see?  My name’s on it!”  Veter pulled out his package and gave it a whiff before placing it next to a cutting board beside the steaming pots of stew.  “So~ ‘ol Mauz has you out running again?  How many is it this time?”

“Only two.”

“Only– only two?!  I oughta close down the kitchen and go work for him if it’s only two~”  Veter took one claw and ran it down the packaging, then looked back at me, “Don’t you wanna see what it is?”  I wasn’t sure I wanted to know; after all, my uncle is involved with a plethora of different enterprises.  But if Veter is so sure of it, I might as well take a peek.

 

Underneath the white packaging was a block of some pale looking thing.  It appeared moist, like a slim brick of clay, but I could tell this was for eating not shaping.  Veter motioned me to get closer, and as I did a subtle smell crept in my nose.  It reminds me of a perfume, almost.

“What is it?”

“Haha~ this lad, this is cheese.”

“Cheese…”

“It’s a delicacy, and one that’s very difficult to get your hands on.  Here, try some.”  He lifted a knife from his cutting board, and removed a very slim slice from one of the edges of the cheese block, handing the knife to me with the slice still on its tip.

I tried to discern if it was safe by giving it a sniff; but once again, Veter seemed so sure of it that I had no choice but to try a piece.  Placing it into my mouth, the thin piece quickly melted into a flavourful goo that I can’t quite describe, and was even better after I swallowed.  It was unlike anything I’ve ever tasted; all I knew was that I wanted more.

“Uhm… Veter?”

“Yes, lad?”  Veter looked at me with a knowing smile as if he’s already aware of what I wanted to ask, “I suppose I can let one more thin slice go~”  He took the knife from me and produced another slice which I quickly chomped down.

Mmm, what is this made of?”

“Hmm~ that’s a secret.”  He gave me a wink and took a thin slice for himself then we both stood basking in the flavour for the short moment it lasted.  

Placed around his kitchen was memorabilia from his youth.  Picture frames of fellow soldiers smiling together were on a shelf surrounding a stand which held up an old, dull looking cinq.  Above the window out of the kitchen is a foreboding object.  At its end are two wooden handles that lead into a large brass cylinder, and on the end of that cylinder is a stony metallic funnel; it’s like nothing I’ve seen before in the city.  I wonder where he’s been hiding that piece of decoration.

“What’s that?”

“Ah, that?  That’s from my time as a grenadier.  I still got my coat from back then too, as torn as it is.”  Veter rolled his tongue around the melted cheese then finally swallowed as he approached the object.  Reaching up, he lifted the object from its mount and brought it closer to me.  “This here is a gastraph, or a fire breather–”

“A fire breather?!”

“Haha~ well not literally.  See this chamber here?”  Veter pulled the large cylinder from the frame of the gastraph, “This would be filled with gas, and on the end here is where that gas is released.  Us grenadiers would place all manner of junk in this here barrel like glass, rocks, nails, and anything else that would leave a mark.  Then we’d hold it to our belly.”  He held the gastraph’s wooden handles to his chest, then placed his hand on a metal release at the head of the chamber while using his arm to keep the backside of it from falling, “See?  Like this, we can keep it stable and straight.  When we shoot, that gas inside of this launches whatever rubbish we put in the barrel.”  He pulled back the release of the gastraph to finish his demonstration, “And like that, any bastard in front of the ‘ol fire breather is blasted away in a torrent of hot air and shrapnel!”

“That’s… remarkable.”  I couldn’t hide my curiosity at the strange weapon.  Unlike a cinq or segai, this wasn’t something just anyone could have, let alone use.  Veter as well, couldn’t hide his own amusement with how impressed I was.  “They really just let you keep this?”

“Hm… well, it’s nothing but an old beauty by now.  Them boys at Muskreg have a much newer gastraph that this one can’t even compare–”

“ORDER FOR POREFIG!  TAIL DELISH!”

“Blasted all!”  Veter set aside his gastraph and looked to his stews, lifting their lids to check if they’re done.  Steam blasted him as he did, but I could tell it didn’t bother him as much as it would me.  He looked at where I stood as if he forgot I was here, and took on an oddly apologetic tone.  “Though I ‘spose I shouldn’t complain about good business… was there anything else lad?”

“No sir–”

“Then you better get a move on before lunchtime hits.”  Veter took a large spoon and began pouring his stew into the various bowls and plastics brought by the customers, “Come back and see me again, lad!  You’re always welcome here!”

“I will!”  I waved to Veter goodbye and left through the door I came in at.  He was right, as when I left I could see customers lined up at the bar, each with an impatient vigor.  With his delivery out of the way, my next stop was the Divide.  

Divide, as it’s named, is the part of the corner where the West Wharf and North Wharf meet.  There’s sort of an invisible line that’s being moved constantly between Crenmite and the people of the North.  It’s a place that’s quite far from Trash, but not so much that I would run out of time before the day was over.

 

On the market streets again, it wasn’t so unlike the sights I’d been seeing all my life, only these vendors were much poorer than what would usually be seen.  The narrow street ahead had everyone close together, and what could be considered a merchant was anyone with a mat who’d laid their wares on the floor for all to see.  Nearly rotten food and cheaply made jewelry was not an uncommon sight on this road, and this one happens to be the quickest route to the Divide.  Although, in the corner of my eye I can see a building with large white sheets; Pyoni’s den, no doubt.  It’s troubling to be so close again… though, maybe I came down this street for another reason besides wanting to take the quickest route.  

Families on this strip would gather to sell with one another.  From where I’m standing now I can see a mother watching her children as she tries to sell painted stones.  And down a ways from her is a young Abyssian parting with his plucked flowers in exchange for some black bread.  The crowd here was less dense and moved at a calm pace; so much so that unlike the waves on the street, here I could see every face and hear almost every word spoken.

“...Another Absolution, they’re saying…”

“...Mom can’t I have that one?!...”

“...Aw– cut me some slack, man! I couldn’t find it, okay?...”  It was a very relaxed mood for being in the center of the city.  

One market stall was selling a food I hadn’t seen before; it looked like rolls made from some green leaf.  People were swarming that one in particular, even children had gotten mixed into the flurry of buyers.  From that crowd I watched two large ears emerge, indicative of a Cuni.  Basket in-hand she shoved her way out of the crowd and back into the middle of the narrow street, standing just in front of where I was–

“Joran?”  Before me was the slave I had met just yesterday, and one that had left a deep impression, “Hey– w-wait!”  swiftly she walked away from me, her basket of goods clutched to her chest, “Hey, I wanna talk to you!”  From behind I grabbed her arm but she shook me loose, and as she twisted her body I could tell then that her eyes had a fury to them.

“Stay away from me!” 

“H-hold up!”  Again I grabbed her by the arm, only this time when she turned I made sure to grab her other arm and hold on tight, “What’s wrong with you?!  I only wanna talk–”

SKH~ PSSH”  

Erk– you fuckin–” Warm spit splattered my forhead and eyes.  The wetness oozed down to my nose and dripped onto my feet.  “Fine, be that way!  Nasty bitch!”  I let her go and stomped past her, intending to never look back.

“Oh, I’m a– you shitless roach!  Men like yourself who revel in tormenting the weak are gutless cowards!”

“Tormenting the weak?!  You barely know me–”

“I know who your friends are!”

“Oh~ so that’s what this is.”  I came close to her.  Joran’s face had gone red from her fervent yelling.  “I’m not friends with your master.  I don’t own any slaves or deal any Beat; I’ve never even tried it!  You don’t know a thing about me and don’t pretend otherwise!”

“So I suppose that means you’re not a coward then?!  How about when you were shaking in your seat pissing yourself, hm~?!”

“And I suppose I should’ve beat him to death with my bare hands?  Maybe– maybe next time I’ll wrestle him and the rest of ‘em in that awful room of theirs!”

“Doing anything would’ve been–”

“There it is!  There’s your problem!  You’re confusing bravado with idiocy!”  Joran’s passion waned, and she lowered her head before muttering her next words,

“Even an idiot… can be brave…”  Joran lost that strong willpower of hers as she sulked away from our argument.  Now that I had also calmed down, I realized we were screaming in the middle of the street and a few of the onlookers were glaring at us.

“Let’s… start over.”  I led her away to a quiet spot beside the street behind some large bins as she cautiously followed, “What’s your damage?”

“My damage?!–”

Ah– let me rephrase that, what’s your deal?”  

“You want to know what my deal is?”  She looked at her sleeve and rolled it up revealing the number “8263” surrounded by a symbol of two horns that was burned onto her wrist below her bruises.  “There!  That’s my deal!  And my sister’s brand is 8264!”  Joran huffed like she was finally letting go of some weight on her shoulders.  There must be few chances to vent under Pyoni.  She rolled her sleeve back down and took the quiet moment between us to regain her composure.  “Anyway… your name… Besra, was it?”

“No, that was my father actually.  I’m Mackerel, but those who know me just call me Mackie.”

“Joran.”  She placed her basket down and sat against the bins.  Scanning around her, I saw no handlers in sight.  Could she be alone?

“They didn’t send anyone to watch you?”

“Why would they?  No one would touch someone with a brand… except maybe a slaver.  Plus, they know I can’t–”  She paused for a moment and turned to look at the building with white sheets that was just in view, “They know I would never leave Fria behind.”

“So they send you out on errands?”

“Hehe~ and what did you think slaves did?  My life is nothing but errands, hah…”  I took a seat next to her, and for a time we sat without uttering so much as a sigh.

“I didn’t think Canis liked greens with their food.”

“You mean these?”  She leaned her basket so I could see the green-leafed food she had bought as well as some other vegetables, “These aren’t for them, they’re for us.”

“You get to buy whatever you want?”

“With what I’m given, yeah… my sister and I don’t eat meat so I try to find what I can when I can.”

“How old is Fria anyways?”

“Heh~ she’s almost six now.  She’s always been a handful…”  Joran leaned her head against the bin, and stared into the wall in front of us, “Well, let’s have it.  You say I don’t know you?  Then tell me what your ‘deal’ is so I’ll know.”  Just as she had gotten the weight off her shoulders, it was now my turn to vent.  From the moment we met eyes on this street, I had felt this urge to speak on what I’d been mulling in my mind since yesterday.

 

“You know… you and your sister bothered me–”

“Bothered you?  Well I’m sorry~”

“Not like– I mean, you left an impression I couldn’t shake.”

“What kind of an impression did we leave?  A good one, I hope.”

“Every time I thought I could move beyond our meeting, and each time my mind wandered back to you… and then to my brother.”

“Hm… was your brother important to you?”

“For a time… he was my hero.” I felt the scabbard on my belt as Joran turned her head away from the wall to face my own, “He was a hero to a lot of kids, actually.

“For a time, you say?”

“Yeah, but when my mother got sick, I– I fell apart.  We’d spend all our time with her at her bedside, but we wouldn’t say so much as a word to each other.  And when my uncle gave me a chance to get away from them… I took it.”  I found myself gripping the scabbard tighter than before, “Just before she passed… he left.  And that was the last I– the last anyone ever saw of him.  That’s when I knew why I needed to get away; I think the truth was–”  I stopped myself, realizing how much I was unloading onto this stranger, “...Sorry, that was a little too much.”  Joran reached up and pulled down one of her large ears to fiddle with.

“Haha~, that’s a lot to say to someone you’ve only just met.”

“Hah~, I guess so…”  She twiddled with her ear rubbing it and twisting it before she spoke again.

“Nn.  For me, my hero was my papa.  Him and the rest of our warren would move day and night across the Fields of Hanesh; and for every new place we’d settle at in the plains, he would gather the lushest grass and weave two dolls for the both of us…”

“What happened to him?”  

“Mmm… we were warned days before by a survivor from another warren.  Papa told me to leave with my sister and the others in our warren unfit to fight, claiming he would ‘ensure’ our escape with the rest of the men– sniff.”  Her eyes began to wetten as she continued, “I remember our last time speaking; we were… in an argument.  I called him a ‘damn fool’, and he– papa s-stared at me with such a tenderness in his eyes that I just–”  She wiped her nose with her sleeve,  “An-anyways, in a day’s journey we were ambushed by some mangy slavers, and that’s right when my sister and I were picked up… just along the road to Muskreg.”  A tear gently grazed her cheek, but she soon recovered and wiped that tear from her cheek, “You probably think me pitiful–”

“No– just… unlucky…”  The words rang through my head.  What Acou said and what I affirmed.  This was the result.  This was natural.

Tsk, unlucky… what this world does to my people is an abomination.  My sister Fria, do you remember her?  Is she unlucky?”

“I– hah~”  I struggled to find the words that could sate this willful girl, “I think… that she’s lucky to still have you with her.”  She released her large ear, and for the first time since I met her, Joran smiled.  She tried to hold it back, yet it managed to stretch across her face despite her.

“I live for her now.  Everyday, I go on only for her.”  She placed her hand on her wrist where the brand was burned, “I’m sure your brother was the same–”

“No.  Candor was nothing like you.”

“Hmm, I wonder about that…”  Joran looked over her shoulders and through the cracks of the bin, “You say your brother left?  I’ve been… thinking of that too–”

“You plan to actually escape?!–”

Shh!  Not so loud.”  I placed my hands over my mouth.  An escape was no light subject; certainly not something a slave should be saying either, especially to someone they barely know.  “Pyoni and his men, they’re high all the time.  My sister and I, we could slip out when they’re on one of their benders and make it out of the city at least before sunrise.  So long as it's not one of their bad days–”

“But Joran, the city is where runaways are supposed to go.  It’s where all the smells mix, and where the people can hide you.  If you leave, they– they’ll track you down in a matter of days!  That shit you said when we met, that was just desperation in the moment, right?!  Surely you don’t actually intend to run!”

“If we can make it home, our warren will protect us just as they did before.”

“But your warren couldn’t protect you before–”

“They will!  Trust me…”  There was a glint in her eye as she moved her face closer to my own, “The Fields of Hanesh are my home, I know it better than any hunter.  We’ll use the burrows, the rocks, the tall grass… trust me, Mackie, our warren will move like wind along the plains.”

“And when they catch your scent?  What then?”

“They won’t!”  There was a pause between us, while I waited for her to catch her breath.

“Why… are you telling me this?”

“Now, just like in that room, you talk to me as you would anyone else.  You don’t see a slave when you look at me.”

“That’s not–”

“Don’t lie!  I can see it in you.  A slave wouldn’t have left an impression on you like we did, and a slave wouldn’t have been treated like you’ve treated me.”

 

“I…” I was at a loss for words.  This girl was most determined to prove something that I can’t seem to grasp.  “I still don’t see why you’re telling me this.”  Joran nodded her head, but not for me; it was like she was confirming something to herself.

“That man said you ran d-deliveries, so you must know the city well… “  Her fist grew tighter around her basket as she puffed up her chest, “Hah~, n-next– ahem.”  She took another deep breath, “ Next week… on the same day as today, at the same time; I’ll be here again, buying vegetables.  I’ll be waiting for you.  On that night, you’ll guide us out of the city.”

“I’ll do no such thing–”  I jumped from where I was sitting.  This foolish girl was talking about an escape in a busy street like it’s casual.  Does she have a death wish?  “This is not the place to talk about this!  You– you’re not in a position to even think about something like this–”

“Listen!”  She grabbed my arm and yanked me back to her level, gulping before she continued, “If you’re not here on that day, we’ll escape on our own without your help.”  She swiftly stood with her basket in hand and walked back into the street before I even had time to stand.  I rushed to my feet and whipped around the bins to find that she was already waiting for me.  

“You'll do what?!  You’re really going to risk it all for– for a one sentence plan?! What will you eat?  Where will you sleep on the way to Hanesh with hunters at your backside?!  Putting aside the fact that you have no idea where to go in the city… you’ll risk your life on such a shitty plan?!”

“...That’s my ‘deal’, Mackie.  Either you help us, or we go it alone. You want to prove you’re not a coward?  Then do what you know is right.  Lead us out of this city.”  And with that, Joran walked away.  I stood frozen trying to process what I had been told.  Their entire escape hinges on me leading them?  Me, someone she met only yesterday!  Is she crazy?  Stupid?  Both?

“Hey kid, you gonna move or what?”  A man with a cart of cabbages was waiting for me to move.  It occurs to me now that I’ve been standing in the middle of the street for a while since her departure.

“Ah, my bad.”  Joran… she would have to wait before I consider any of what she said.  The sun is at midday, and I still have one more package to deliver.  The Divide is not far from here.

0