18 Wolfsbane Potion
116 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

James woke up with dry lips and a slight headache.

It was Saturday morning of their first week, which of course meant that last night had been the welcome back party for the Gryffindors. As they had since their third year the Marauders were the one to supply the goods. Butterbeer, firewhiskey, food, candy, a few almost too big firecrackers.

The parties were usually always the same, in the beginning it would just be food and non-alcoholic drinks. Then at ten the Prefects would send the first and second-years upstairs, and the real party would begin.

James, to most of the House's shock, was not a huge fan of alcohol. He left that to Sirius and Peter. Remus had only touched it once in his third year and had started howling in the common room as a joke… He didn’t find it funny the next day.

Still, James would drink a bit during the big parties. He had especially needed it after the week he had. It was a good week, unlike the previous years they hadn’t done anything disruptive in class yet. Or even flooded any toilets. Their goal of never getting caught meant they had to plan their pranks more in depth than usual. James could see the mixed worry and relief on the teachers faces.

But some things were not as good.

He had thought Harry and James’s meeting with Lily, and subsequent exchange on the train had meant that they were closer now. She had barely even looked at him in the past week. Just went about her days normally, hanging out with her little gaggle of Gryffindor friends or Snape.

What was worse was everytime one of his friends did something that reminded James of the future or what he needed to change he felt compelled to try and do something to change it.

But he also knew none of his friends would be receptive of James telling them to change some key things about themselves. Not like he could explain that Sirius’s impulsivity would lead him to twelve years in Azkaban on false charges. Or Peters frightened attitude would help him make the decision to betray them. And of course Remus.

Out of all his friends Remus was the toughest nut to crack. Aged far beyond his years due to the bite made him deeply set in his ways. Always scared of being found out, of being kicked out. Fearing for the future he knows in bleak, where despite them accepting him no employer or woman would. (Even though according to Harry he married a woman like fifteen years younger than him.) And of course fear of accidentally biting someone.

James was ready to fix that last fear.

Damocoles Belby started his research into the Wolfsbane Potion about a year ago according to Harry, but it wouldn’t be complete until 1982. So of course Harry gave the recipe, as well as a few adjustments made over the decades to James. Who of course gave it to his father the Potion Master.

Was it wrong to steal the accolades of someone who did so much for the downtrodden community? Of course. James didn’t care though. Belby hadn’t made it yet and Remus was suffering now.

James took out one of the hangover potions they had brewed two days ago and drank it down, getting two more and placing them near each of the other boys’s bed.

He then went to Remus’s bed, who was already stirring due to the very small amount of noise James was making.

James looked at the blackboard that still hung up on the wall. Because of his spell they had decided to keep it up, stupid sure, but funny.

Over the past week they had added and removed a dozen suggestions for more things. Like Remus putting getting all O’s on their OWLs which Peter had quickly erased. Or Sirius putting all of them getting laid, which Remus had erased. And of course Peter putting James getting over Lily, which James erased, followed by a quick Purple Nurple Hex. (One of Remus’s designs.)

“James?” Remus asked, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

“Hey Remmy, how was your party?”

“Loud,” Remus grumbled.

“I assumed as much,” James said quietly, sitting down at the foot of Remus’s bed. “The other two will probably sleep through breakfast.”

Remus scanned the other two. Peter was curled up in a ball, arse in the air and pillow over his head and Sirius was splayed out like a corpse that had fallen off the Astronomy tower.

“Right… How is that different from usual?” Remus asked.

“Well, its not, but something is gonna happen this morning and I was wondering if we could have breakfast outside.”

Remus looked worried.

“What did you say to Lily?”

James looked at Remus deadpanned.

“Nothing, haven't spoken to her since the train.”

Remus still stared at James in suspicion.

“What did you do to Lily?”

James rolled his eyes.

“Its got nothing to do with Lily and everything to do with a furry little problem.”

Remus blinked.

“Did you hear about a werewolf attack from your parents? Is the Daily Prophet about to post something about it?”

“No, just, lets have breakfast by the lake.”

Remus looked at James for a few more seconds before sighing.

“Alright, let me wash up.”

They stopped by the kitchens to get some food before heading out to their normal spot by the lake. Taking seats on the large stone formation with their backs to the largest rock. Remus ate his egg and sausage pancake sandwich. Relishing the beef. Usually in the days before and after his transformation Remus stops eating meat. He’d never opened up to why exactly but they could guess.

“So,” Remus said hesitantly, picking up a piece of egg and popping it into his mouth. “What's the big secret?”

“Which one? I am a man of surprising depth.”

“I didn’t know men wore underwear with golden snitches patterned in.”

James scowled at Remus, who grinned.

“Just wait, it’ll be here soon.”

Not even a second later James heard the familiar hoots of his family owls.

There were three of them, with two carrying a package and another carrying the paper and letters. They dropped the package carefully in between the two and the third dropped the paper on James’s left.

James took some bacon he had saved and gave some to each owl before they flew off.

Remus' jaw clenched, ready for bad news, but he threw out a joke anyway.

“Are those some new pairs of underwear to show your acquired manly depth?”

James smirked, taking the letter and pocketing it before tossing the paper to Remus.

“Read it outloud,” James said.

Remus peered at James for a second before looking at the paper.

“Lord Potter publishes work on Wolfsbane…. Potion…”

Remus looked at James in shock, a million emotions running through his mind before he turned back and started reading the article, completely ignoring James telling him to say it outloud.

Tears began to fall as Remus read the paper, and his breathing turned ragged.

“James… this is… I can’t even,” Remus finally finished the article, now looking at James in wonder.

“I told you Harry was the best,” James said.

“Harry? Hic- it- it says your father created it. An- and you said Harry was pants at potions,” Remus said, still crying and trying to wipe away the tears. James hadn’t seen him like this since second-year.

James shook his head.

“Harry didn’t make it, his wife Hermione did before she died. She was a huge advocate for the rights of werewolves,” that was the story he agreed on with his father. “Harry gave it all to my father before he died. Said that there was no proof of testing and it would get swept under the rug, and that a Lord on Wizengamot could make sure the potion was used for a lot more good than a dying old man could.”

“But it works?”

James nodded.

“Yeah, Hermione used a few personal friends to help test it on, so its never been documented. My father will have to do all of that from scratch to prove to the masses it works properly. With his political power he is hoping to start a government endorsed distributatry for the potion. There are three versions of the potion. The cheapest will still ensure that the drinker is sane enough not to attack, but it still makes them bedridden for a few days after due to the toxins in the potion. Next is the original potion that doesn’t have those adverse effects, but doesn’t do anything for the wear on the, er, werewolf. Lastly is the more costly one. This one keeps the drinker in good condition leading up to and after the full moon.”

James put a hand on the package.

“This is enough Wolfsbane Potion for this month.”

Remus’s eyes narrowed.

“You told your father?” he said quietly.

A dangerous quiet.

Yes, he had, to a degree. Fleamont had found the recipe in one of Harry’s many compartments, as well as a note to make sure James got a dose every month.

“Harry found out, he taught me Legilimency and Occlumency, and often rooted around in my mind. He pretty much found out everything about me, and everything I know about all of you. He left a note for my father.”

Harry had likely done it so James didn’t fight with whether he should do it himself.

Remus’s eyes were hard, still rimmed red from the tears. They had promised on Marauders honor never to tell a soul. From the look in his eyes James knew Remus wouldn’t accept it. He never wanted charity for his affliction, for anything really.

“I won’t-”

“Remus,” James said, his voice hard. “I don’t give a shit. It's out of your hands now. My father has already sent an owl to your parents, every month for the rest of your life you will receive this potion.”

Remus didn’t look like he believed James.

“My father would never accept that.”

“He would, and he has, for you.”

Remus’s father and mother loved him with everything they had. Never once blaming all the issues that came from the bite on him. They had given up homes, jobs and the rest of their families for Remus.

“How do you know he has?” Remus asked angrily.

“Because my father wouldn’t have sent this without your parents consent,” James said, tapping the package. “When he learned of you he wanted to, but he knew that parents don’t like it when another adult imposes on their child's life like that. So he asked, probably met up with your parents, talked to them about it. My father, for all his Gryffindorishness, is a manipulative old coot.”

Remus still didn’t look happy, like he was still waiting for the other shoe to drop. It wasn’t what James was expecting from the other boy. Sure he had expected some pushback. Some reluctance at what he considers a free meal, but looked to be more than that.

“Remus, with this you will never, never ever, risk biting another person. There could be a hundred people around you and you would never even get the idea to infect them.”

Remus didn’t talk much about the wolf. How his mind was affected during each change. But from what he had told them when they mentioned becoming Animagi, he remembers everything, he lives through every moment, makes every decision himself.

Remus looked at the package, tears gone and face blank.

“Can I… can I have some time alone?” Remus asked.

“Of course,” James said, standing and walking away, all while wondering if somehow he made a mistake.

-

10 more Chapters up on my Pa treon

Pa tre on.c om/BronzeTurtle

 

8