Chapter 33
11 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

* The next chapter release is on Tuesday.

* There are now 13 advance chapters in my Patreon. If you want to support me go there. Thank you.

 

Both Bran and Osric stood frozen in stunned silence, their eyes fixed on the grotesque spectacle of the mangled body pinned to the wall. They were utterly horrified by the nightmarish scene that unfolded before them, unable to tear their gaze away from the gruesome sight that seemed to sear itself into their minds. The young woman, her eyes wide with terror, wept uncontrollably as tears cascaded down her cheeks, her trembling form bearing witness to the unimaginable horror she had just seen. Despite the unspeakable torment she suffered at the hands of the thugs, she couldn’t bear the thought of anyone, even her most loathed enemies, being subjected to the same chilling terror she had just witnessed.

Watching the shock and horror etched onto their faces, Elysian exhaled heavily, feeling a pang of regret for revealing the other facet of himself—the dark and sinister side that he always kept hidden, shrouded in secrecy and lurking in the shadowy recesses of his being.

 

‘I truly hate showing this aspect of myself to them. Nonetheless, it’s unavoidable. Whether I like it or not, they’ll eventually come to know this part of me if they continue to be my companions. They must accept it if they wish to serve and work for me.’

 

“Are you alright?” Elysian asked, his smile gentle and disarming, trying to appear harmless. Despite the challenge, he still attempted to ease the tension and lighten the mood around them. “I’m sorry for what you’ve had to witness. Sometimes it’s difficult to restrain myself in the face of such injustice,” he explained, his voice carrying a weight of sincerity amidst the lingering heaviness in the air.

Both of Elysian’s companions turned towards him, including the young woman, though she immediately averted his eyes, choosing instead to stare at the ground, terrified to meet his gaze. On the other hand, Bran and Osric maintained their eyes on him, remaining silent, too stunned to speak. Confusion and disbelief clouded their minds as they struggled to process the reality that the usually easy-going boy was capable of such unspeakable horrors.

When his attempt to ease the tension failed, Elysian sighed deeply, recognizing the importance of honesty in the moment. With resolve in his voice, he decided to tell them the harsh reality of what it meant to be his companion. Though difficult, they needed to confront the truth if they wished to continue serving him. “Both of you, I’ve appreciated your company and dedication to me thus far,” he said, his sincerity evident in his tone. As a small smile formed on his lips and his gaze softened a little, he continued, “I’ve come to consider you not only as companions but as friends as well.”

Though still maintaining their silence, Bran and Osric’s expressions softened slightly when Elysian regarded them as his friends. Though not enough to fully dissipate the tension, it provided a small measure of relief, easing the atmosphere just a little, which was exactly what was needed at that moment.

Elysian locked eyes with each of his companions. Though the mood had improved, he still noticed apprehension in them. “Though it was not my intention to show this side of me tonight, it is something you will eventually see as you accompany me,” he stated while trying to control his emotions. “I want to be honest with you. I can’t promise you that this won’t happen again in the future. Likely, you might even see something worse, because I will not stop causing pain and inflicting terror on those who deserve it.”

Pausing for a moment, Elysian wanted them to fully absorb and understand the gravity of his words and what they were entering into. This was a favor that he owed them before they decided if they still wanted to work for him and pledge their loyalty. “By now, you must have some insight into my character,” he began with a sincere tone. “You know that I am kind and generous to my people. I won’t mistreat you. I won’t even treat you as mere disposables, like those insufferable nobles you have seen or heard. Instead, you will be regarded as family and also as friends. I hope that you will choose to remain my companions. However, if you decide otherwise, I won’t hold it against you. I will respect your decision,” he stated with an unwavering gaze. Exhaling heavily, he concluded,  “Now, it’s time for you to decide whether you wish to continue serving me and join me on my journey.”

Without a second thought, Oscric dropped to his knees, kneeling in front of the young noble with a determined and resolute gaze in his eyes. This was followed by Bran, whose face was a little hesitant, but it was clear in his eyes the loyalty and devotion that he had for the younger boy.

 “As I’ve said previously, my life is yours. No matter what you intend to do, my loyalty to you will never waver,” Osric declared, staring straight into the young noble’s eyes. “My life is bound to you for eternity, master. I pledge to serve you faithfully until my last breath.”

Smiling warmly in acknowledgment, Elysian nodded to Osric, conveying his deep gratitude for the older boy’s unwavering fealty and loyalty. Shifting his attention to the servant, he observed Bran’s demeanor with a mixture of sympathy and concern. The older boy kept kneeling while remaining quiet, his expression clouded by confusion. This wasn’t surprising since he was still struggling to make sense of the recent shocking event.

Seeing the state of his servant, Elysian felt pity for him. With a heavy sigh, he gently stated, “Hey there, big fella, I want you to understand—I’m not here to force you. If you feel that you don’t want to serve me anymore, I completely understand that. The path I walk is perilous and fraught with danger, where you could easily get killed. Also, you might be put in a situation where you have no option but to kill someone. That’s why I won’t blame or even hate you if you decide that you don’t want to work for me anymore.”

Instead of speaking, Bran remained motionless, staring at the ground and staying quiet.

Kneeling next to the older boy, Elysian’s hand came to rest on Bran’s shoulder, offering a comforting touch. “Regardless of your decision, remember, I’ll always be your friend,” he murmured, his voice full of reassurance. “That will never change. Always remember that, my friend.”

After some time, the servant finally glanced at the young noble. What greeted Elysian was a spectacle of horror—a face marred by a mixture of snot and saliva, with tears cascading down in a never-ending stream. It was undeniably a heartbreaking sight to witness the poor servant in such a state, yet it was equally true that his face was revolting. Taken aback by the absurd sight, Elysian couldn’t help but flinch and recoil in horror, pushing himself away and shuddering from revulsion, unable to shake off the unsettling image burned into his mind.

“Is there a problem, young master?” Bran inquired, surprised by the younger boy’s peculiar behavior. When he saw the noble’s expression, he was worried, momentarily forgetting the unsettling scene he had witnessed earlier. Without hesitation, the servant hastily went towards Elysian, anxious to know if he was fine. Instead of being comforted by his presence, the noble just recoiled, quickly putting a distance between them. His eyes instantly widened; he was confused and shocked at the same time. 

Glancing at Osric, the other boy also flinched and stepped away from him. Growing annoyed, he couldn’t contain his frustration anymore and yelled, “Can anyone tell me what’s happening here?”

“Your face is gross, you big oaf. It’s full of snot, saliva, and tears mixed together across your face,” Elysian retorted, averting his eyes from looking directly into the servant’s face. “Ugh, it’s disgusting!”

After hearing the reason, Bran’s mouth hung open, his expression a mix of disbelief and surprise at the revelation. Too shocked to say anything, he could only look at them in silence, his eyes darting back and forth between his companions, not knowing how to react. A heavy sense of dread settled in his chest as he instinctively reached up to touch his face, only to recoil in horror as his fingers touched the sticky and repulsive fluids smeared across his skin.

“Ew, gross!” the young woman exclaimed, her expression twisting in disgust as she recoiled from the revolting scene. Not even the terrifying event she had witnessed earlier could prevent her from reacting to the repulsive sight. Instantly, all eyes turned towards her, surprised by the young woman’s sudden outburst.

Out of nowhere, Elysian suddenly laughed, starting quietly at first before he found himself rolling on the ground from laughing so hard. Who could blame him, though? Even with the tense atmosphere, anyone would have laughed at the way the young woman reacted, coupled with the servant’s comical reaction. This was proven true when Osric and the woman followed suit, laughing so hard that it brought tears to their eyes. Rather than being offended, it wasn’t long before the servant joined in. He simply couldn’t resist, succumbing to laughter as if it were an epidemic sweeping through everyone.

Their laughter echoed through the silent, cold night, piercing the stillness with an unexpected warmth. Not even the grotesque sight of the dead body pinned to the wall could dampen the jovial atmosphere between them. Almost immediately, the mood lightened, and they smiled at each other as if heralding a new beginning, a strengthening of the bond that connected them.

Oddly enough, even the young woman they had just met appeared closer to them. It seemed that shared traumatic experiences had a unique ability to forge a bond with people, strengthening that connection and bringing them together.

After everyone regained their composure, Bran stood up while staring directly into the young noble’s eyes before kneeling in front of him. “Like Osric, I will also serve you forever, young master. No matter what you decide to do, I will stand by your side,” he declared, his words lacking the eloquence of Osric’s but his eyes conveying the unwavering resolve and fiery commitment of his pledge. It was as if his vow was etched in adamantium, preserved by the gods, a loyalty that would never falter—forever unchanging.

Smiling at the servant’s decision, Elysian moved closer to him and remarked, “I accept your vow to me, my friend.” Affectionately tousling the older boy’s hair, he added, “I understand your concerns about my actions. Given what you’ve witnessed, I don’t blame you. However, I promise you this: I will do my utmost to wield my power for justice and fairness, reserving cruelty for those who truly deserve it. And if I ever stray from this path, I trust you to hold me accountable. Please serve as my conscience, my friend, so that I won’t look in the mirror someday and regret my life.”

“I will, my friend,” Bran responded, showing his goofy grin again, his eyes alight with warmth and devotion.

“Now stop being cheesy, big fella, and wipe that disgusting face of yours,” Elysian playfully retorted, tossing his handkerchief at the older boy’s face. “Here, use this!”

“You’re always making fun of me, young master,” Bran complained quietly while he wiping his face.

Standing on the side, Elysian noticed the young woman staring at him. Offering her a gentle smile, he made sure not to appear threatening. “Hi,” he said, cautiously waving at her, testing her response.

Despite the significant improvement in the atmosphere, she still felt some level of anxiety. Nonetheless, their newly forged connection was strong enough that she was no longer afraid of the boy or trembling in his presence. She even casually waved back and smiled, forgetting the young noble’s identity. As if on cue, her reason suddenly returned, realizing she was facing the son of the Baron. Bowing in respect, she immediately apologized, “I’m sorry for the disrespect, young master.”

“Don’t be too formal; it’s just us here,” Elysian stated, still smiling at the girl. “Are you alright?”

“Yes, young master. Thank you,” she replied, her gaze on the ground, hesitating to tell him something.

Elysian noticed this and asked, “Is there a problem?”

The young woman slowly glanced at the boy and responded, “My friend is still in the hands of the Crimson Talon.”

Exhaling deeply, Elysian gazed upon the full moon, admiring its ethereal beauty. “It seems the old man was right. If the strong get involved, blood will be spilled—unnecessary bloodshed,” he said softly, his voice carrying a somber tone. Suddenly, a cruel smile formed across his lips. “This time, however, it won’t be unnecessary bloodshed. Yet, I’ll concede to him one thing: the road in the city will turn into a river of blood.”

Upon hearing what the boy had said, they stared at him for a moment before turning their attention to the gruesome body pinned to the wall.

 

Hello, this is the author.  If you find any problems, feel free to let me know. Also, I’m open to suggestions.

If you enjoy the story, you can consider donating to my Patreon. There are also 13 advanced chapters available there.

I hope you can help a poor and struggling writer here. 

Also, if you like the story, don't forget to rate it. Thank you!

2