Chapter 43
4 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Young master,” Amara said respectfully, bowing towards him.

After observing her for a moment, Elysian smiled, nodding toward her before responding, “Amara, I’m glad you could join us.” Turning to look at the imposing house before them, he added, “Though I would appreciate your continued company, I believe your time would be best spent saving your friend inside the house, wouldn’t it?”

Amara’s eyes widened, realizing that the boy was right; Layla might still be in danger even though Grimscar was already defeated. Without saying anything to the young noble, she ran as quickly as she could, despite her exhaustion.

“Where were we?” Elysian questioned, shifting his attention back to the whimpering thug. Upon hearing the young noble’s words, Grimscar began to panic again, clawing his hands on the boy’s leg. After kicking the man in the face and then stepping his head again into the mud, Elysian continued, “Ah, I remember now. Hmm, you still haven’t answered my question, though. How does it feel to be treated as you treat those poor women?”

When Grimscar couldn’t respond due to his face being buried in the mud, Elysian sighed in disappointment and stated, “Looks like you’ve been lying to me. You claim to apologize for your actions, and I almost believe you. It breaks my heart that you’re just playing games with my good intentions. Clearly, you haven’t learned your lesson yet, tsk. I think you need to repent more in order to wash away your sins.”

After the boy released his feet from the thug’s head, Grimscar suddenly screamed and pleaded. “P-please, I’m begging you. I-I promise I won’t harm any woman anymore. I’ll start a new life. I’ll do anything, just spare me,” Grimscar pleaded as the boy grabbed his hair and dragged him towards the house. No matter what the thug did, he couldn’t fight back due to aura exhaustion. He was now weaker than an average man.

As the crying thug screamed in the cold night, Elysian casually strode through the darkness, his gaze focused on the night sky. “It seems the rain has stopped,” he mused, watching as the sky cleared and the full moon and the stars were starting to appear. “Don’t you think it’s kind of symbolic, Grimscar? It appears this will be a pleasant night. I’m sure we’ll enjoy this evening together,” he stated as he whistled, enjoying the chilly air.

Upon entering the house, Elysian casually threw the sobbing, pathetic man towards the headless body of the thug that Grimscar had killed earlier.

“Keep that away from me!” Grimscar screamed in panic as he crawled away from the dead body of one of his men, realizing that his fate might be the same as theirs. Suddenly, he began to laugh hysterically while crying, as if he had finally snapped.

“Hey, just hold on for a bit, okay?” Elysian said. “We haven’t even started yet.”

“Layla, why did you have to leave me? Please, come back! Please!”

Upon hearing Amara’s cry, Elysian’s mood soured. He exhaled heavily, closing his eyes for a moment.

 

‘It seems I was too late.

Did I make the mistake of indulging in my own depravity first rather than directly saving the girl?

Stop it! Even if I had saved her first, it would still have been too late. We don’t have a healer here. And that’s assuming she wasn’t too far gone. Even if I sprinted at my full speed, she would still have died on the way.

This wouldn’t be easy for Amara. I know the pain of losing loved ones. Hopefully, this won’t haunt her forever as it did to me. This is something she needs to face alone. This struggle is not something I can help her with.’

 

Opening his eyes, Elysian looked at Grimscar.

 

‘Hmm…

Well, that might not be entirely accurate. There is something I can do to alleviate her pain, even if it’s just a little.

There’s only one thing to be done.’

 

Sighing once more, Elysian furrowed his brow. “I’ve made a mistake. It appears this may not be a pleasant night for you after all.”

 

 


 

 

Despite her already exhausted body, Amara ran as fast as she could. The thought of Layla’s safety fueled her determination.

 

‘There’s no enemy inside, right?

The young master wouldn’t have sent me alone if there were any danger.’

 

Upon entering the house, Amara was so shocked by what she saw that she flinched so violently, nearly stumbling. The first sight that greeted her was a headless corpse, its head seemingly crushed. Further to the side, numerous severed heads lay scattered. Despite the horrors she had witnessed that night, it was evident she still hadn’t grown accustomed to the gruesome scenes that had been occurring with troubling frequency.

 

‘This night had truly taken years off my life. All I want now is for it to end with Layla safely reunited with us.’

 

Summoning her resolve, Amara tightly shut her eyes for a moment, steeling herself against the gruesome scene. With a determined exhale, she turned away from the grim sight, focusing instead on the dimly lit corridor stretching ahead. Pressing forward, Amara quickened her pace as her steps echoed softly against the wooden floor.

The corridor stretched before her, its walls adorned with ornate tapestries depicting disturbing scenes of gruesome torture and defilement. Shadows danced ominously in the flickering candlelight, enveloping the space in an eerie atmosphere. With each step, Amara’s senses heightened, and she felt the hair on her arms stand on end, a chilling sensation creeping over her skin.

Emerging from the hallway, Amara found herself standing in a grand living room. This was a complete contrast to the corridor she had just left. To her right, she saw tall windows adorned with heavy velvet curtains, allowing slivers of moonlight to filter through, illuminating the opulent furnishings within. Plush sofas and armchairs were arranged around a roaring fireplace, the crackling flames casting a warm glow throughout the room.

Ahead, Amara’s eyes fell upon two doors, their presence suggesting they might lead to the kitchen or another area of the house. On her left, a partially open door revealed yet another room, while beside it stood a staircase, its polished banister inviting curiosity to ascend the floor. Leaving anyone to wonder what awaits them in the dark, ominous room. Given its owner, it's a safe bet it’s nothing good.

With a steady breath, Amara paused to assess her options, her heart pounding with anxiety as she deliberated her next move.

 

‘Wasn’t the information I received suggesting that Layla was likely held in that b*stard’s room?

The stairway then.’

 

Quickly ascending the stairs, Amara reached the second floor and surveyed her surroundings. The dimly lit corridor stretched before her, lined with closed doors on either side. At the far end, she spotted an open room, bathed in the bright light that starkly contrasted with the gloom of the hall.

 

‘She must be there!’

 

With anticipation etched on her face, Amara dashed into the room, her heart pounding with eagerness to finally reunite with her friend. However, her excitement quickly turned into horror as she beheld the gruesome scene before her. The spacious room loomed ominously, its walls adorned with a macabre display of skulls, arranged like trophies by some deranged sadist reveling in the agony of his victims.

In the center of the room, Amara’s eyes fell upon her friend, stripped of dignity and bound at each limb, her helpless form sprawled amidst the chilling tableau of suffering.

Amidst the shocking scene before her, Amara stood frozen in place as tears welled up in her eyes and streamed down her cheeks. She couldn’t believe the sight of her friend in such a deplorable state. Her friend, once radiant and strong, now bound and vulnerable, had always been her unwavering defender since their youth.

~ ~ ~ ~

 

In an empty alleyway nestled within one of the poorest districts of Ironspire, Amara found herself crouched in a dimly lit corner, surrounded by a group of unruly children. Their faces were full of spite as they relentlessly pelted her with stones while laughing loudly, their voices echoing off the walls.

“Please, stop! That hurts!” Amara cried out, tears streaming down her dirt-steaked face. She instinctively shielded herself from their relentless attack, raising her arms over her head. She trembled in pain as her voice was filled with fear and agony. “Why are you being so mean?” she questioned, her plea tinged with desperation. “Please, stop already!”

“You’re the daughter of that whore who owned the Velvet Chamber. You deserve this!” one of the children jeered, flinging another stone at her. “Just like your mother, you’re a whore too!”

Being so young, Amara’s understanding of the world was limited. She struggled to understand the insults thrown at her. The only certainty she held was her mother’s love, along with the affection of those who worked in the Velvet Chamber. She treated them as family, and they treated her the same in return. That’s why every insult aimed at her cut deep, leaving her heartbroken. The children’s offensive words hurt her more than the stone they threw.

Alone in the alleyway, Amara could only cry.

“Hey, knock it off! Leave her alone!” Layla shouted, throwing a stone at one of the children. “You’re gonna pay for what you did to Mara!”

“Who did that!” the boy exclaimed, spinning around to the one who threw a stone at him. “You piece of trash! Get her!” he spat out, jabbing a finger at the girl.

Instead of fleeing, Layla grabbed a stick from the side and decided to fight. Though she knew she couldn’t win against so many children, abandoning her best friend was out of the question. So, she stood her ground.

Layla flung a rock at the nearest boy, causing him to flinch in pain. Seeing an opportunity, she quickly moved forward, striking him on the head with the stick and sending him tumbling to the ground. When a larger girl lunged at her, she swiftly retreated, evading her before she pivoted to the right and landed a blow on her side.

Layla smiled smugly at them, but her celebration was premature. Suddenly, two boys flanked her, attacking her at the same time. Panicking, she attempted to retreat but stumbled to the ground instead.

It didn’t take long for the other children to swarm over her. With no other choice, she curled up like a ball, arms covering her head, desperately defending herself from the relentless onslaught of the other children. Despite ending up being beaten by them, Layla’s actions drew the attention and wrath of all the kids, ultimately saving Amara from further harm.

After beating the defenseless girl and exhausting their energy and anger, the children grew tired of their assault. Before eventually leaving, they threw insults at her, mocking her for being the daughter of a prostitute, and left behind a battered girl on the ground.

“Layla! Layla!” Amara sobbed, rushing towards her friend with tears streaming down her face. “Layla, I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault that you’re hurt like this.”

Opening her eyes, Layla looked at her friend and managed a smile. Reaching out to wipe her tears away, she slowly sat up. “Hey, don’t cry, silly. It’s not your fault,” she said gently, offering a reassuring grin. “Look, I’m fine.”

Amara stopped for a moment, gazing at Layla’s goofy grin, noticing one of her teeth was missing. “Layla, you look funny,” Amara stated, unable to suppress a chuckle.

Surprised by Amara’s reaction, Layla reached for her mouth and winced in pain for a moment, realizing that one of her teeth was indeed missing. Her eyes widened briefly before they met Amara’s, and the two of them suddenly burst into laughter.

In that cold alleyway, the bond between two friends grew stronger, a testament to their resilience amid hardships. It's proof that even in the bleakest of moments, light will still find its way through. In a desolate place where cruelty and poverty held sway, the innocent laughter of these two children brought solace to anyone in such a dreary place, thawing even the most frozen hearts.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

Hello, this is the author.  If you find any problems, feel free to let me know. Also, I’m open to suggestions.

If you enjoy the story, you can consider donating to my Patreon. There are also 15 advanced chapters available there.

I hope you can help a poor and struggling writer here. 

Also, if you like the story, don't forget to rate it. Thank you!

 

 

2