Chapter 13
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Norah’s eyes widened in surprise, seeing Elysian and his son enter the kitchen with a young girl with them. “Young mistress Sophia?” she asked, joy lighting up her face. “You’re back!”

Sophia quickly ran, hugging the huge cook in delight and giggling. “I’ve missed you, Norah. They don’t cook food as tasty as you.”

With a warm laugh, the woman embraced the small child in return. If you looked at them, it was quite amusing to see a huge cook and a tiny girl sharing affection with each other. If you did not know, you might think she was just there to prepare rare and valuable ingredients. 

“I’ve missed you also, young mistress,” she said, gazing at the small child filled with affection. Smiling, she continued, “Don’t you worry. I’ve just made some very tasty foods. I’m sure you will love them. Also, I have freshly baked cookies. Your favorite.”

“Yay!” Sophia cheered in excitement, jumping all around the kitchen trying to find her prized treats. “Can I have some, Norah? Pretty, please.”

“Only after eating your dinner, young mistress. You might lose your appetite if you indulge in some sweets now,” she objected, but the young girl kept pleading with her persistently.

Elysian could not suppress his smile, witnessing the exchange.

 

‘I never realized that Sia was this close to the cook. Well, not just the cook, it seems. The other kitchen staff keep glancing at my sister with a smile on their faces.

It really isn’t surprising when you consider that she is very kind and affectionate with everyone. I think that is also the reason why I love her. Her kindness has melted even the most arrogant and conceited prick in the land—me. In the entire barony, she is the dearest to my heart—before and even now.’

 

Elysian’s smile turned into a sigh.

 

‘In the past, I’ve been so focused on my own petty affairs that I didn’t notice all this. It saddens me to learn what I’ve missed so much, but I'm happy for the chance to witness it again. This time, I must ensure to protect that smile and innocence of hers. Even if I turn this whole land into ruin just to protect her, I will.’

 

“Ely, can I have some cookies?” Sophia asked, tugging at his arm and pleading. “Please, please. I promise I’ll eat my dinner.”

Elysian just smiled affectionately, patting her head, and said, “Just one, okay? After that, you must eat your dinner.” 

“Okay. I love you, Ely,” she said, hugging him.

“Ma’am, could you give her a cookie?” he asked, nodding in her direction.

“Okay, young master,” she nodded back, smiling at the little girl and handing her the treat.

Without hesitation, Sophia took the cookie and quietly ate it in silence, savoring the taste like some deep longing that was finally filled. This entire scene was so adorable and cute that all the eyes in the kitchen were gazing at her affectionately.

This scenario kept repeating throughout the night as everyone gave all their attention to his sweet little sister. This was just fine to Elysian; actually, he preferred it this way. He initially feared that there were going to be objections to them eating with him in the kitchen. Not only was there no objection, he could also see that there was no tension or awkwardness whatsoever. Thanks to Sophia, he could finally just relax and enjoy himself, watching their interactions with each other. He could not remember how long it had been since he felt this content and happy. Maybe he never did. All he could remember was the pain and struggle that he had to go through in life. He wished that his life would always be this peaceful; however, he knew that was just wishful thinking. 

 


 

“Be quiet, you big oaf,” Elysian whispered, shaking Bran awake.

“Huh?” The servant glanced up, and a hand suddenly covered his mouth, sealing it shut.

“Shh, be quiet. You’re waking up, Sia,” he quickly said, signaling the servant to follow him to the balcony.

“Is there a problem, master?” Bran asked, yawning.

“Yes, you’re snoring very loudly,” he said, sitting on the chair. “You would’ve awakened Sia if I hadn’t woken you.”

“Sorry about that.”

“It’s okay, big fella,” he said, glancing at a carriage pulling into their estate. “I anticipated a guest today, just not this early,” he sighed. “Let’s go.”

Upon reaching the front door, an old man entered, nodding to him. “Good morning, young master.”

“Good morning, Lord Dorian,” Elysian greeted him with a nod. “If you’re here for my sister, she is still asleep. She stayed up pretty late last night. I don’t want to wake her up yet. I hope you understand.”

“I understand, young master. It’s my mistake for coming so early here.”

“Since you’ll be waiting for her, would you care to join me in the garden, sir?” he asked, smiling at the old man.

Elysian led the way to the garden, followed by Lord Dorian. Before sitting on the chair, he asked his attendant, “Please, bring me a hot tea with milk. Also, ask Norah if there are still some cookies left from last night.” He turned to his guest and asked, “What do you want to drink?”

“Plain tea would be fine.”

“Okay, bring plain tea for Lord Dorian too,” he said, nodding to the servant who quickly followed his order. He then turned to look at the old man, observing him. He did the same. They sat there for a while in utter silence, observing each other.

“You seem different, young master,” he said seriously.

“Really?” he asked, smiling mysteriously. “I hope it’s a positive kind of change.”

“You seem to be more patient,” Lord Dorian said, pausing for a moment before adding, “Your eyes are also different. I can see intelligence in them.”

Elysian burst into laughter. “Why? Did my eyes used to be devoid of intelligence or something?”

“What I meant was that I can see in your eyes someone who has seen and experienced many things in life. I usually only see this in people who are older, like myself, not someone as young as you.”

“Thank you for the kind words, sir. Coming from you, it is a great honor,” Elysian said, bowing a little as a sign of respect. “But I assure you, it’s nothing that dramatic. I simply had to mature faster, for the sake of the barony and my sister.”

“Excuse me, young master. Here’s your tea,” Bran said, placing the drinks and food on the table. 

“Thank you, Bran. You can go to the kitchen and eat there if you want. I want to talk to Lord Dorian alone. I’ll find you later after our talk.,” he said, smiling at the servant.

 “Okay, master.”

“What do you want to talk about, young master?” The old man asked, intrigued by his serious demeanor. “Are you going to ask me to let your sister stay here? I’m sorry, you master, but…”

“No. On the contrary, I want her to stay with you whenever Father is not around,” Elysian said, observing the old man, who suddenly grew quiet, looking at him.

“I thought you were very fond of your sister. Why do you want her to stay with me instead of here?” he asked curiously.

“It’s because she is very precious to me that I want her to stay with you,” he said, sighing. “Maybe we have the same reason for why you made up so many excuses for her to stay with you.”

“What excuses, young master?” he asked, chuckling. “I’m just an old man who constantly misses the only family he has left. Can you blame me for that?”

“I won’t,” he chuckled. “And I'm just an empathic kid who wants to remedy the longing of an old man for his beloved granddaughter. You can consider it a public service.”

Lord Dorian burst into sudden laughter, while Elysian calmly took a sip from his tea, observing the old man.

“I will gladly accept your public service, young master,” he said, smiling.

Elysian simply nodded without saying anything. Lord Dorian did the same, observing the young boy while sipping his tea.

“I know you’re close to your uncle,” the old man said, breaking the silence. “Just a word of advice, it might be wise to be careful around him.”

“Why? Do you know something?” Elysian asked, betraying no emotion.

“I know nothing. I’m not accusing your uncle of anything,” Lord Dorian chuckled. “It's just simple advice to an old man like me. It just means that you should trust no one.”

“You don’t need to worry, my lord. I won’t tell him,” Elysian smirked. “Instead, I will cut the puppeteer’s strings and let him dance into his demise.”

Lord Dorian’s eyes widened, seeing the young boy for the first time.

“I know the corruption that reeks in this land, my lord. And I plan to excise its source. I can’t allow it to fester any longer.”

“What are you planning to do?”

“Why? Would you help me if I told you?” 

Lord Dorian just stared at him for a while. “What can you even do? You’re just a child.”

“If not me, who will? My father won’t do it. He is busy with his war and isn’t interested in the barony at all. While other adults are too afraid to do anything,” he said. When the old man was about to respond, he quickly cut him off and said, “I’m not casting any blame on you, my lord. I know you are a practical kind of man, and I want you to continue that way,” he said, smiling at him. “What I want you to do is protect my sister. I know she is very important to you, and she is the most important person to me. We want the same thing—the safety of Sia.”

“You don’t need to ask me that,” Lord Dorian smiled at him. “I’m willing to give up my life for her.”

“I know. That’s why I’m telling you this.”

“Are you confident in your decision?” He asked, concerned in his voice.

“You don’t have to worry. I will succeed,” he said casually, sipping his tea. Suddenly, his eyes had a dangerous edge to them, staring directly into the old man. “The ones who should worry are those people who have the audacity to dip their hands in something that isn’t theirs.”

“Grandpa?” Sophia asked, slowly walking towards them.

“Ah, my cute little Sia, come here,” Lord Dorian beamed, hugging his granddaughter. “Did you have a nice dream?”

“Yes, because Ely is with me,” she said, looking teary-eyed. “Grandpa, can I stay here? I want to be with Ely.”

“If you stay here, what about me?”he asked, turning to the boy as if seeking assistance. “You don’t want to be with your Grandpa?”

“I want to be with you, but what about Ely?”

“Come here, Sia,” Elysian said, hugging her sister.

“Ely, I want to stay here. I want to be with you,” she said, pleading. When she saw his eyes, she immediately knew what he wanted. “Do you want me to stay with my Grandpa, Ely?”

“Yes. Can you do it for me, Sia?”

“Okay. For you, I will, Ely,” she said, feeling down.

 

‘This is eerily similar to the past. However, she called me ‘Ely’ instead of ‘brother’ this time. Also, the main reason I wanted her to go was different. Instead of sending her to her doom, I’m sending her for her safety.’

 

“Don’t be sad, Sia. I promise to visit you often,” Elysian said, kissing her forehead. “Also, I will bring you many treats that Norah baked,” he said, offering her a plate of cookies from the table. “Like these.”

Sophia suddenly beamed, hugging him, and he hugged her back.

 


 

As Elysian and Bran entered the training ground, they were immediately greeted by the sight of Sybil crawling on the ground and shouting, “Oh, Aldric, my charming prince! Your smoking hot body burns my heart!”

The soldiers around the training ground avoided looking at him, struggling not to laugh.

“Ah! What a great morning!” Elysian exclaimed loudly, getting the attention of everyone around.

“You scoundrel!” Sybil shouted, glaring at him with eyes that could cut like daggers. “You’ll pay for this!”

2