Chapter 3: The Young Girl
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world slowly guided the man towards the other side of the hill. From the height, he saw a girl slowly wandering towards the distance, her feet leaving bloody footprints on the white lilies as she slowed down due to exhaustion. However, her will to live was stronger than her urge to collapse, and she walked as far as she could.

The man made his way towards her, much faster than her walking speed. As the girl walked and her eyelids grew heavy, her perception dulled. She didn’t know the man had arrived behind her. Every time her eyelids closed, it felt as if she was collapsing, but she forcefully opened her eyes.

The man grabbed her shoulder, sending shivers down the young girl’s spine. Her hope collapsed as she fell to her knees. In a low, pleading tone, with tears in her eyes, she said, “Please make it quick. I don’t wish to suffer any longer.”

The man answered indifferently, “Why would I want to kill you? I just want to talk to you.”

The girl turned her pitiful expression towards the man, who neither looked threatening nor smiled at her. In a low tone, she asked, “What happened to the knights chasing me?”

The man answered honestly, “I killed them all.”

The girl felt nervous as if something was stuck in her throat. She slowly tried to gulp it down and asked, “Why are you chasing me?”

The man went silent, increasing the girl's heartbeat. She was fully prepared to meet her end, but then the man answered, “I was chasing you because this world told me to.”

The girl was totally confused. “What?!”

Never did she predict a man with flaming red hair, bronze skin, and half-naked on top would chase her because the ‘world’ told him to. It made no sense to her, but somehow, she felt happy, as at least she was now safe.

She slowly stood up and asked, “What will you do with me? Just ask questions?”

The man opened his mouth, but nothing escaped. He slowly closed it and squinted at the bizarre situation. He wanted to tell her that the world told him to guide her, but it seemed the world was also forcefully preventing him from doing so.

He sighed as he changed the topic and asked, “Where are we?”

The girl answered, “We are in a blossom field next to Dane River and the cursed forest.”

Then he asked, “Why were you running from them?”

The girl wanted to shake her head and not answer the question, but she had no choice. Looking at the situation before her, she hesitantly answered, “I-I was running after breaking free from jail.”

His eyebrow raised as he asked, “You are a fugitive?”

“For them? Yes, the empire has sentenced me to forever be imprisoned.”

The man nodded at her answer and replied, “I understand.”

“So, what’s your name?” he asked.

She answered, “Yulia, my name is Yulia Aberg.”

Then she asked, “What is your name?”

He went silent for a long time, as he blankly looked at the sky, unable to answer the question. He mumbled, “What is my name?”

Then he looked at her with a firm look, making her breathless. Thinking she might have offended him, as she was about to apologize, she heard him answer.

“My name is Asura.”

As soon as Asura said his name, the world seemed to come to a stop. The water stopped flowing, the insects stopped buzzing, and the lilies ceased their motion. The woman's eyes bulged as she felt the power surrounding her.

Not even at her peak could she amass this much power. This power was foreign, not of this world. It had become clear that this man in front of her was not of this world. He came from somewhere else, and he was strong.

Yulia took a step back, fear gripping her heart. Asura didn’t care and asked, “So what are you planning on doing now, now that you are free?”

As she took a step back, she fell to the ground, immediately losing consciousness, as exhaustion had taken over her.

Asura picked her up and slowly made his way in the direction she was going. Soon he heard water crashing against stones. He saw a great river splitting the land in two, and on the other side of the river was a small village visible from his side.

He picked Yulia on his shoulder and made his way across the river. The flow was so powerful that even he had a hard time stabilizing himself as he took steps toward the other side. It was quite fortunate for him, as the water was a little shallow. Only his waist was submerged.

He slowly made his way toward the other side. Even though he was all wet, Yulia was still dry, other than a few splashes of water on her.

A few villagers looked toward the man coming from the other side of the river. On his shoulder was a young woman with silver hair. They quickly rushed toward them, fearing something bad had happened.

A young man arrived and asked in a fast tone, “What happened?”

Asura laid Yulia on the ground and said, “She is exhausted and looks cold. Her feet are bleeding.”

Hearing this, the young man quickly organized the villagers, rushing toward them. They picked up Yulia and took her to the healer. Meanwhile, he urged Asura to follow him back to the chief's home.

He walked inside the chief's home, who was sitting on his sofa made of wolf’s leather and wood. He was smoking a cigar. The young man entered the room first, saying, “Father, look, we have a guest.”

The chief looked at Asura walking into the room. The room was small for Asura, who was far taller and larger than the villagers around here. The chief quickly put out the cigar and threw it away in the trash bin.

He urged Asura to sit down as he looked toward his son for an answer.

“Father, he crossed the river carrying a young girl with silver hair. The villagers are saying it is the Hero Yulia.”

The chief's now full attention was on Asura. He asked, “Sir, where did you come from?”

Asura answered honestly, “I came from the cursed forest.”

The chief looked at his son and sighed, “OK, sir. You can leave, but be sure to leave soon.”

Asura stood up and walked outside of the room. The young man turned to his father and asked, “FATHER! Why did you just let him go without getting answers about the girl and crossing the river?”

The chief’s face sunk in sadness as he lit up another cigar and answered, “There are few things we shouldn’t bother ourselves with, son. If what you say is true, the young girl is Hero Yulia, and she was rescued by a man from the cursed forest, where not even imperial knights can survive. This situation is something we normal people should know less about.”

The young man grits his teeth as he rushes out of the house, slamming doors behind him in anger, as his curiosity is not fulfilled.

0