Chapter 6: Wyvern
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yulia soon returned, adorned in light Armor with a sack on her back and a sword hanging on her belt. She had a bright smile on her face as she walked, happiness radiating from her. She quickly went to Asura and said, “Let’s go, we've got a Wyvern to hunt down, so I can finally get some proper food and enough money to bathe. I smell like rotting food.” 

Asura could smell her, but he didn’t feel anything more than a very light whiff, which was only mild. He knew she was exaggerating. He decided not to make a comment and silently nodded, following her outside. 

Yulia took out a map from her sack, quickly checked the road, then all the landmarks, and pointed towards the direction leading outside of the town. She was in a hurry as she walked at a fast pace, and soon they reached the road at the end of the town. 

No one was guarding the road; the guard post was empty, and people were coming in and going out without anyone inspecting anything. This made Yulia raise an eyebrow as she knew how tight the security used to be, but the threats of the demons were now gone. That must have been the reason they relaxed the security. 

They went out of the town and followed the major road leading towards the capital. The road was empty, as it was no longer used by merchants; the wyvern had diverted the main road’s traffic towards the long route, which was smaller and not even properly paved. 

Asura was curious about the beast called ‘wyvern.’ It was clear their task was to slay it, so as they walked towards their destination, he asked, “Yulia, what sort of beast is a wyvern?” 

Yulia stopped for a second to properly describe the beast. She shook her head in frustration and said, “I can’t describe it properly. It is like a dragon, but smaller, and likes to hunt horses and other cattle. Sometimes it can breathe fire or thunder and has small scales much weaker than that of a dragon. Lizard-like body.” 

Asura still couldn’t understand, but one thing became clear to him: dragons were stronger than the being they were about to fight. Asura knew the fight might be hard, but he welcomed it, nonetheless. 

He felt the rush of power when he fought the knights, feeling stronger than ever, and all the pain in his body had vanished. He knew from experience that he grew stronger with each battle. He wanted to know, ‘How much stronger can I get?’ 

After walking for a while, Yulia noticed something on the road ahead. In the far distance was the corpse of a cow lying on the road, with its guts eaten. The majority of the cow had large bite marks; something had eaten it with its large jaws. 

She looked around for some clue to see if the wyvern was still close, but she found nothing. She moved a little closer; the stench of the rotting corpse hit her nostrils, making her face twitch a little with disgust. Asura looked at the cow with keen interest, carefully observing the large claw marks and the strength of the wyvern's jaws. He looked at Yulia and asked, “So, do we know where it went?” 

Yulia turned towards Asura and said, “Yes, it went deeper into the forest. The trees here are bent unnaturally, due to the sheer force of its wings, and the directions seem to be inside the forest.” 

Asura asked her, “Are you ready to fight a creature like this?” 

Yulia replied, “Yes, last time I was injured, and mana was empty. This time I have recovered some of my strength with you here; hunting it wouldn’t be difficult.” 

Asura nodded and silently followed her deeper into the forest, where they saw many pieces of flesh scattered all around. It seemed the wyvern was eating and spilling its food while flying. Soon, they reached a large cave. 

“This is it, Asura.” Yulia was a little nervous as she looked at Asura for assurance at this moment. She had never hunted a wyvern while she was this weak and with an unfamiliar face. But if he could slay knights chasing without losing an arm and a leg, he was good enough. Her heart was speeding up a little, but she put her faith in her decision. 

Asura looked back at her and nodded, signifying he was ready. Yulia was the first to move in as she was more familiar with wyverns. They moved slowly, making sure not to make any sounds. Asura slowly followed her. 

The sounds of the wyvern's breath echoed in the cave as it lay curled while sleeping. Yulia was happy; this was the best scenario in her mind. However, she couldn't help but be taken aback by the color of the wyvern. It was jet black, with red tips on scales, making it look fiercer than any wyvern she had fought before. 

She gave a signal to Asura to stop and be ready to attack after she attacked it. The Wyvern was sleeping without knowing a hero was slowly creeping behind its black form, ready to slay it. 

Yulia grabbed her iron sword, then pulled power from her sack and rubbed it against the blade. She got towards its tail, and as the tail moved slowly, she got closer to its hindquarters, then stabbed it, cutting flesh deeply. The wyvern cried loudly, causing the entire cave to shake as it woke up. It immediately stood up, swinging its whip-like tail towards Yulia. 

Yulia anticipated it, jumped on its back, and started to slowly slice it. Meanwhile, Asura watched them struggle a bit, waiting for the right opportunity to attack. 

 

0