Chapter 3: Monarch
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dust panned off the pages of the book as Dyso turned over each leaf with the utmost care, making sure the thin sheets didn't crumble and collapse on their own weight. The pages of this book were crackled, looking like the surface of a dried-up desert, devoid of any water for many days. His hands glided over the heading of the rugged pages, revealing its contents. Downing a big gulp, he started to read, with his mind intrigued even further as he read legends of the world. A sense of fulfillment came over him as he was finally bestowed knowledge before his very eyes. He had only heard about forbidden legends like this in his younger age, and never really thought about it. Hell, even Magic and Mana as a notion were one of them. Apparently, there were 9 legends on this Earth, noted by Dyso from the bold letters written on the very first page. He carefully traced the edge of the book, before turning over a new page. 

Invisible Flames, Soul Corruption, Mana and Magic, Mana Infusion, Whispers of the Mortals, Timeline Manipulation, Forsaken Life, Incantation of Death, Power of the Stars. The hair on Dyso's forearm starts to rise making him feel a cold chill as it rises up to his neck before his body shrivels up making him feel intensely cold. A satisfying smile is planted across his face as he absorbs all the knowledge presented in front of him. Only the Royal Guards, Monarchy, and trusted Apprentices were allowed in the Regal Library, hidden underneath the Roama Castle. The towering shelves filled with knowledge intimidated Dyso, yet he kept on looking for what he had wanted. It was just simply unbelievable to him that he had the honor to wade through an ocean of information, available at the tip of his fingertips. 

The book contained information about each Legend and stated its origins. Invisible Flame meant a flame that would be naked to the visible eye. A man would be screaming for help and going berserk, rolling down on the ground for help yet, no one would know. The people would laugh at this sight, unexpectedly! They shall not know the wretched is experiencing death right before their eyes. It was also described that this impermissible spell was put forth by a prodigy, who had bitterness in his heart, only to be cast away and banished by his Academy. Mana and Magic were another legend, but Dyso was disappointed seeing how almost every Kingdom knew about it. It was only through his training and by his guru Knight Xavier at the castle, that he understood fully magic and its complete potential paired with mana.

'Why was this not taught to him earlier in his life? When he was under Hallend's wings? Strange.' Dyso's thoughts kept lingering as he reached the final page of the book. The sight of the ultimate page seemed eerie. It hadn't anything horrifying written in it. Rather, it didn't even have a heading like the previous legends had, when they were being conveyed. No, this page had only one and a half-word. It read:

"Read o"

The text was interrupted as if the author of the book had met its demise. Faint brownish smudges had covered the rest of the page, with the dust making them look black. What was the writer trying to convey? Were they trying to warn us? Another Forbidden spell the world doesn't know about? A warning to all the readers? Something just didn't fit right with Dyso. He brought his finger up to his chin and started to think before a quiet knock at the door snapped him out of his trance.

knock knock knock

Ah. The special knock, only Elena knows. Dyso got up, carefully closing the book slowly before opening the door, only to see an elegant Princess, clasping her hands in front of her and gazing down at the floor. As the door opened up, she moved her glance towards her Royal Guard. Her shoulders are slumped with her lips forming a downward curve, but she quickly hides it as her eyes fall on Dyso.
 
"What troubles thy soul, Princess?", Dyso asks with a concerning voice. 

Elena exhales a deep sigh as she moves past Dyso into the chamber and makes herself comfortable on his bed, while patting the mattress, surprised by its cushiness.

"I can't believe it. Father has talked to Resiao Zonia. And they've come to a decision.", Elena replies while clutching onto the bedframe.

Dyso listens attentively with his hands folded against each other and nodding. "What decision, may I ask?"

Elena closes her eyes and falls into the bed sinking into the mattress while grunting with annoyance.

"I will be marrying the successor of Zonia. Resiao Zonia's lad. Rewxi Zonia."

Dyso felt a tug at his heart, but he quickly swept his emotions away as his determination to remain a loyal Guard by her side triumphed. He felt happiness, yet sad at the same time, as he exclaimed with a joyful demeanor;

"Isn't that just wonderful? I'm sure your My Highness would be very proud of her daughter, would she not?"

Elena returned her original posture, while sitting up instantly, and almost yelling;

"NO! Do you not know who Rewxi is? He's a man whore! An imbecile at heart! I'd call him a rent boy! I see him every day at the Academy chatting up some new whore every other day!! I wouldn't ever marry him, even if it meant I would get into the heavens!"

"Princess, please. Thy shall not speak such harsh language. I understand your bitterness, but The Honor's decision is absolute. If The King has taken such a decision, I have no doubt in my mind that The Lord knows what is best for you."

Dyso smiles and glances over to Elena, who now has a frown. 

"That is not all. I have someone else that I admire...a-and tha-"

A loud sound at the chamber's door catches both of their attention, interrupting their conversation,

*ahem*

Dyso snaps his head onto the door, only to see Her Highness, Urya Roama, standing gracefully. She has a distasteful expression planted across her face. Immediately falling to his knees, Dyso shows respect. Ignoring the Knight, Her Highness treads into the room to grab Elena with her hand, making her cry in pain.

"What did Your Father say about this, hm? To keep the whispers at bay? Look what you're doing, breaking the Royal Code. After all, beings like him, only exist to serve us.", Her highness whispers with a hateful tone, but it's audible enough for Dyso to make out everything. He feels Her Highness' gaze move to him before she resumes;

"Besides, Elena, my child. You don't even know his sins. His wrongdoings. How he...", She realizes her ugly demeanour, as she removes her grip off Elena, and regains her sophisticated posture. Urya clears her throat and stands up right, a contrast from her leaning almost illegally onto her creation. She turns her back towards him and Elena and says with a soothing voice. "I'll tell you when the time comes. Until then, delude yourself with your slave."

0