Re: That Time My Mother Got Turned into a Monster! – Chapter Eight
26 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had to be meticulous in my search. Tracking monsters was more than just picking them up on their trail. You had to understand how a beast like a monster hunts. A new monster still acts in a somewhat manner like a human would. However, those instincts soon twist into a dark and primal form. Knowing the way they think is crucial. I've learned to hunt monsters by putting myself in their shoes, to hunt like a beast, to think like a beast, and only then does the hunt become easy.

They'd still be in shock at their new state of being, unsure of what was happening and ignorant of their newfound powers. It was during this volatile time when monsters were the most unpredictable. As such, this is when the importance of knowing their background and what kind of person they had been before was crucial in safely capturing them. I stopped in my tracks, my mind racing with thoughts and plans for approaching these unstable creatures. Only time would tell if our strategy would work or if we'd be in for a world of trouble.

My nostrils caught a whiff of something lingering in the air, a scent, a sign. My sense of smell has improved over the course of the last ten years. The group of hunters were inside the mansion now. I could smell the bait they were using. Animal meat, no, that scent was human flesh. 'My God, they were using human remains as bait!' A sense of urgency surges throughout my body. I had to find this creature soon. These weren't just monster hunters. They were black market traders. I wasn't the only person capable of capturing monsters. As they are often called, the monster tamers hunt them down for the purpose of using them in war, assassinations, and murders. They were vile people who used these dangerous creatures for personal gain.

Undoubtedly, they would go straight to the basement in search of the monster. It was the typical area, and the beast would have gravitated there too. However, new beasts don't follow patterns like this. As newly transformed monsters, they go to where they spent the most time when they were human. I had an idea of where that place was due to the little girl in the picture. I thought about the subject the Hall had tasked me with, as this was a particularly serious case since it involved a child who had recently undergone a transformation.

That is unheard of and has never happened once in recorded history. There were myths about this happening, but no concrete evidence. I made my way up the flight of worn stairs to the second and third floors. Time was running out for the girl and for me. My senses alert me that Mum was inside the mansion too. Stalking the hunters in case things went south. That was usually the case when I encountered hunters.

After some searching, I located the room I was searching for on the third floor. The door's half open, but I notice fresh footprints on the floor. Dust covered everything inside the mansion, and the footprints made it easy to conclude I was on the right track. I carefully look inside. The room belonged to a young girl, a young girl of around ten years old. A hunched-over man stands beside the bed, much to my horror. Blood is everywhere, but he looks alive. Judging from the arrow in his chest, this older man had a run-in with the hunters.

Archers in a hunting party like this used poison arrows to slow monsters or kill off family and friends of the turned. I could sense the presence of the beast in the room. She was in the closet and more terrified than I had expected. That was unheard of in new monsters. If anything, there would be rage or confused frustration. The man spotted me as I entered the room. He half-heartedly lifted a blade in defense.

"It's okay, Mister… I'm not here to hurt you. Are you okay?" I asked.

"Who are you and why are you here?" the old man countered, coughing up a copious amount of blood.

The man wasn't in good shape. I sheathed my katana as I slowly walked closer to him. He tried to stand up but slumped down on the ground. His wounds were severe, maybe even fatal. I had to get this man back to the Holy State Hall. Mum could carry him with ease and reach the Hall in no time.

"Listen, my name is Adam von Yeager. Trust me, I'm here to help," I whispered, trying to avoid any noses.

He gave me a solemn look after I gave him my name.

"Did you say Hunter? Was your father Winston Hunter?" the man asked, coughing up more blood.

I froze in my footsteps. 'This man knew my father?' This man was the first person to have mentioned my father by name in over ten years.

"How… How do you know my Pa?" I asked. My voice almost trembled.

"I knew Winston Hunter well. We worked together as research partners for many years, up until twenty years ago. We shared a passion for research and worked well together. We had many successes, and our work was published in top journals. However, we eventually had a falling out, as it were, and we have not spoken since. I still think of him often, and I miss our friendship. You have a brother named Allen, no? I was there when he was born to Eleanor," he asked, whipping blood from his mouth with a dirty handkerchief.

"Yes, but who are you? My father was a historian," I countered. "Who is Eleanor?"

"My name is James Adam Voltaire. Eleanor was his wife and Allen's Mother. I tried to keep in contact after Eleanor disappeared. I knew he had another son with Eleanor's younger sister, but I didn't know which one," Adam said. He told me he'd given his unborn child my namesake. It was his way of saying we were still friends."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Mum had no sisters, let alone a sister named Eleanor. Allen and I had the same Mother, and he was adamant about saving her as much as I did. Yet, how could I question someone that I'd never met or would have a reason to lie to me? The man coughed again, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"There isn't much time left… I need you to do something for me," James said. "Take my daughter June into your care. You have too. June is different and cannot fall into the hands of the Royal Papacy. Take her to the Grand Cathedral in the City of Requiemstadt find Grand Imperator Anja Fischer," Adam said.

I thought about his words, but I'd made up my mind. I came here to bring this monster to a safe place. Knowing this new information didn't change that.

"I will," I whispered.

"Thank you…," Adam said as he turned to the closet. "June, come out now. I want you to go with this young man, Adam von Yeager. He's going to take you somewhere safe."

"But I want to stay with you Papa," A distorted girl's voice said.

Hearing a monster talk, let alone a child that had turned, was never heard of. This man, named James Adam Voltaire, wasn't lying when he said June was different. I could hear the fear in her voice, and the feeling I got from her presence proved she was in abject terror.

"It's okay… June. My Mum is here too. She won't let anything happen to you," I whispered. "She'll just like you."

"Really," June's distorted voice said.

I could see the outline of her body in the closet. Her eyes were shimmering an ice-blue, nearly identical to Mum's. Mr. Voltaire stood up the best he could and extended his hand to her. Slowly the young girl climbs from the dark void inside the closet. As she entered the dim moonlight, I got a better picture of her appearance. The first thing that caught my eye was her ice-blue dress, a beautiful blue shade that reminded me of the winter sky. The dress was flowing and elegantly perfect, and the matching bows in her French braided hair were a delicate touch that added a touch of youthful appearance. She looked absolutely stunning, and she was like the little sister I never had.

I stood motionless, trying to take in all the details about the monster girl before me. She was impressive and ominous, like an apex predator about to pounce on her prey. The wolf-girl is slender yet powerful, with piercing icy-blue eyes and a defiant expression. A pair of pointed ears sat atop the girl's head, their tips twitching with her every movement. Her tail swished back and forth, a subtle indication of her inner turmoil and unease. In general, she had an air of ferociousness about her that spoke of a dangerous nature and unbridled strength. Her hair is black as the night, like Mother's, and just as long, draping around her body like a black cape and spilling onto the floor around her feet.

She was about five feet six inches tall, with a powerful presence that commanded attention despite being such a young girl. Her aura alone gave off powerful and dangerous vibes, as if ready to rip apart anything that dared to cross her path. She stood upright with a lean and toned physique that spoke of sheer strength and agility. Every movement was confident and precise, a predator on the prowl, ready to pounce at any moment. Her eyes twinkled ferally as if eager to hunt for her next meal.

The details of her transformation were impressive, from the thick, dark fur and back to the sharp claws on her paws. She seemed incredibly dangerous, and I couldn't help but feel a bit wary as she eyed me with a primal menace. Her clawed arms were thick and powerful, capable of causing severe harm. I could only imagine the damage these claws would inflict if provoked. I kept my distance from her, unsure what to expect from this dangerous creature.

Looking at her more closely, I noticed the short thick black fur covering the coarse and rough parts of the back of her arms and legs. I slowly encircle her as I begin my visual examination of the girl. Her eyes are keenly on me, but she allows me to conduct my investigation. I can further note a lighter dark grayish thick coat of fur covering almost the entire bottom of her legs, from the top of her knees to her feet.

Despite being scared, the monster girl wore a vicious snarl on her lips, showcasing sharp fangs as enlarged as my Mother's. I shuddered at the thought of what these fangs could do to flesh and bone, the potential destruction they could cause if unleashed. I stepped back, trying to keep a safe distance and observe the creature. I had to be careful and avoid sudden movements that could set her off. Clearly, she was unpredictable and incredibly dangerous, so any wrong move on my part could have serious consequences.

'Would it be able to sense my fear? Would it try to attack?' I stood there motionless, trying not to provoke it. A shiver went down my spine as I scanned the girl for any subtle movement or indication of her intentions. She seemed so powerful and ruthless, just like my Mother. She was the very definition of a wild predator, and I believe that she was no ordinary monster. Her sheer strength was overwhelming, even considering her young age.

Her small size meant she was swift and agile, able to move through the forest quickly and gracefully. She had undoubtedly undergone a fierce transformation, becoming a predator to be feared and respected. Knowing that, I must be conscientious when dealing with her. The combination of her agility, her sharp claws, and her powerful jaws, as well as her agility, made her one of the most frightening opponents one could meet. There was no doubt that I would have to make calculated and well-thought-out moves since one mistake could spell disaster for me if I made an unintentional mistake.

3