15 | Trials of Mankind
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days passed, Knights of White Valley finally reached the front gate entrance of Ashendel. Luther found no guards at the entrance. Not a single soul in sight.

“Maybe they’re asleep. It is early morning.”

“Then, the guards are slacking off.” Hartwin replied to the knight. He stepped closer to the gate and shouted out. “Knights of the White Valley request an audience from the Ashendel. We came to answer the call from the Knights of Goldenrod.”

A head peaked out from the wall. Upon seeing the emblem behind their cloaks, the knight jolted up and went away.

“They’re here! Knights of White Valley are here!”

Moment later, the gate creaked open. The young knight ran stumbling towards them. Hartwin held the man from falling flat face to the ground.

“Light blessed us. Sir Judd delivers the message by himself.” He looked around among the knights, searching for a familiar face. “Where is he now? In Havenbarrow perhaps. I hope he is. The old man pushed himself too hard.” Hartwin tensed beside the young man. He locked eyes with Luther.

Luther tipped his head over to Vincent. His partner approached the man with some belongings bundled up in a blue cloak of Goldenrod and a long sword on top of it. The moment the young knight lay his eyes on the items, his smile faded.

“Sir Judd arrived in time before his timely death. He fought through the devil’s path to reach Havenbarrow,” Vincent said. “I’m sorry. We couldn’t save him.” He placed the items in the knight’s hands.

“Father—” The knight fell down on his knees.

Residents of Ashendel slowly went out of their homes and flooded the street. Rains washed down their tired faces. Knights of White Valley and Goldenrod exchanged their greetings. Hooves clip-clopping on the stone pavement. Before the horse halted, Cael dropped himself down and let go of the rein to a nearby knight. He had deep, sunken eyes. His steps hobbled towards the last ray of hope before him. Luther caught him when Cael stumbled his way.

The large frame of a grown man trembled in his arms, followed by words of gratitude and soft sobs. Luther patted his back, giving him some time to calm down. As the future generation of luminaries, they grew up together in Lumina Cathedral. Though their blood’s flow from separate lineage, their brotherhood tied strong as one. Luther saw Cael as the older brother because of his sense of justice and kindness in taking care of every young luminaries. Luther was the opposite of his brother. He was the timid mouse hiding behind his brother’s back. A frail stick easily snapped with a slight touch.

Once Cael calmed down, Luther kept his hand on Cael’s shoulder, assuring him it was alright.

“Thank you.” Cael placed his hand over Luther’s. He glanced to the knight holding on to Sir Judd’s belongings. Sorrow quickly replaced the momentary relief. Luther squeezed his shoulder. Cael snapped his attention back to him.

Cael shook his thoughts away. “Forgive me. I should explain the situation first.” He glanced at the cloak one last time before turning away. “Follow me. We’ll talk somewhere quiet.”

Red roses bloomed every corner of Ashendel. It was the same as the forest they passed through. When one of the knight complained about the tempting smell fogged his mind with debauchery, Luther set his miracle prayer for everyone. And from the looks of the town, this place was in far worse condition.

“Forgive me for greeting you like this. As you can see, Ashendel isn’t in a state to accept guest. Nobody goes inside or outside for a month now. I fear the curse could spread across the land. For once, it was a relief that Ashendel was isolated from other dwellings, otherwise things could escalate further.

They climbed up the stairs of the watchtower. Roses covered the walls like wallpaper. The buds moved closer, prodding for their touches. Upon reaching on top, Luther could see red spots everywhere.

“The roses emitted a smell to invoke a strong, intoxicating desire of love and lust. Expose to its influence for a day; you’ll bear its seed of curse. Once it planted its seed inside the flesh, the curse absorb both mortal’s vitality and sanity. It doesn’t matter what age or gender. Everyone did their part in taking other’s innocence. Father taking the innocent of his daughters. Mother killing their own child. They won’t stop committing such outrageous acts until they fulfilled the sinful desire. And I can’t do anything to stop the curse from growing. I have fallen into its trials.”

Luther remained quiet. His heart was heavy, seeing the once proud back of his brother now hunched in shame.

“She came to tend my wound. I remembered being enamored by her smell, so I took her to my chamber. We both succumbed to temptation that night. What was supposed to be a pure reunion became a tainted one. After the deed was done, I vowed to only to see her as my one and only despite the string of curse pulled us together. Everything work out well. Whenever the curse strike, we comforted each other. She even bears a child inside her womb.”

The roses shifted closer to Cael. Instead of flinching away, Cael graced them with a touch of their petals.

“Then the curse took the child. It ate the unborn child before the mother could hold. While she was in grieve alone, I was trying to stop the chaos that took place in a middle of the plaza. It took the knights a whole day to lock those cursed ones behind for safety. By the time I visit her chamber, she already hung herself. Without her, I wouldn’t dare lay a hand on another woman. I’ve made my vow to her and the heaven. Yet, the curse is testing me every day.” Cael pulled his hand away.

A bell rang inside him, alerting him of a presence approaching them. Luther shielded in front of Cael. The door opened. A knight stepped inside with a lit candle in his hand. It bears the flame of wrath. Luther drew his blade out and pointed at the knight. The knight froze where he stood, not daring to take another step.

“Luther, it’s alright. Please put down your sword,” Cael urged him. He commanded the knight. “Put it down there.”

Luther glanced at Cael and the crimson flame. Though the presence was weak, it was still a fire belonged to the Sinner of Wrath.

“Ashendel remained standing, if not for that fire. It came from the ember sword, belonged to the Sinner of Wrath.” Cael stood close to the candle. His palm hovered above the candlelight for its warmth. “Your reaction was the same as mine. One of the guard got himself caught by the curse. He ran away deep inside the underground base and found where the ember sword lay to rest and locked. The flame comforted him from the desire inside him. Since then, we spread its embers to everyone in Ashendel. They were reluctance at first. Now they begged for more of its flame.”

Cael inched away from the candle. But the comfort it gave him kept pulling him back. Luther took off his pendant from his neck and show it to him. His brother shook his head. “I tried contacting the Lumina Cathedral. What answer did I get? They were too busy. Of course, Ashendel is the least town they should be worry after its previous destruction, but these people never gave up on their homes. They brought it back from the ashes and now they fought to keep it. I can’t bear to tell them the news of being abandoned for the second time.”

Luther remembered Kyra mentioned it in her letter about the subjugation. It was an important mission. Time wasn’t in their favors. Preparation will need two weeks at least to be done. Then, another two weeks of journey, if there won’t be any ambush on the road.

“Never talk or listen to evil. Don’t accept any gift from the hands of tainted. Everything from their promise to their words is deception. Devoured the fruits of the evil and the abyss will welcome you into its home.” Cael settled his hand down to the table. He accepted the comfort of a tainted light. Luther wanted to draw its fire out to bring his brother’s mind back. The roses bowed its head as it see itself out of the room. It wouldn’t dare to approach the candlelight. “I broke all of them. I can never be the luminary to these people. However, you’re still a luminary. Gizem reached out to me…” Luther froze at the mention of that name.

Cael took out a red silk ribbon out. Luther backed away. It wasn’t the ribbon he was afraid but the fading light in Cael’s azure blue eyes. Justice was nowhere to be found. Only the desperation of a broken mortal who sought out injustice as his last salvation.

“It doesn’t matter anymore what color the seal was. I already fell deep into its trials more than once.” Cael kept his eyes cast on the ground. Shame plastered over his face. “I begged of you, Luther, saved them and cleanse me away for failing my duties as the luminary.”

1