Chapter 12 ~ Gurneys and Guilt
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    When Macbeth kills King Duncan between scenes 1 and 2 of Act II, he violates the world’s order. Killing a king is not just a personal or social action, it is considered to be a cosmic crime. The universe of the rest of the play reflects the disorder and chaos Macbeth initiates.

    I sat back at my bedroom desk and frowned. We’d been reading Shakespeare’s Macbeth in English class for a few weeks now, and Mrs. Flynn assigned a mini-essay to complete over the weekend. It was a weird story – full of death, karma and metaphors. I wasn’t completely satisfied with what I had done, but it was good enough. It was time to leave for training.

    Rain tapped against my window. The sky, gloomy and grey, seemed motionless. I could see the ocean in the distance, its waves rolling and choppy. I’ve always liked rain; I found it soothing. It was thunder and lightning that made me nervous. Pretty contradictory, since I moved to California, where tropical storms are common. Maybe that would help me get over it.


    Everyone else had already started when I arrived in Emiarhia. I tied my hair back and approached Kadia, who was observing from the sidelines. “Hey. What’s the agenda?”

    Her eyes flicked towards me. “You’re late. I am not keen on tolerating tardiness.”

    “I had an essay to work on,” I snapped. “My life isn’t tailored to your schedule.”

    She disregarded my reply. “You will be refining your reflexes. We shall begin with a simple exercise.” She grabbed a six-foot wooden pole from a rack beside her. “I will hold this in front of me, upright. Stand back and catch it before it falls–“ The pole clattered to the ground mid-sentence.

    “That wasn’t fair, you were talking!” I huffed.

    “You must always be alert. Allow no distractions.”

    For the next fifteen minutes, we continued with the exercise. Kadia would switch things up by changing direction, increasing the speed, or instructing me to catch the pole only below waist level. She then suddenly grabbed the pole and lunged the tip forwards. I instinctively deflected the blow with my forearm.

    “Good.” She nodded and returned the pole to the rack.

    “When do you think we’ll start practicing with actual weapons?”

    “Not for some time. Another month, at least. Weapons come after skills. They merely serve as assistance. A wise soldier does not rely on blades or spells to be successful, it is what one is capable of by themselves that counts.” She began pacing back and forth, one hand against her temple.

    I arched an eyebrow. “Something on your mind?”

    She sighed slightly. “I am trying to plan everything. There is so much work to be done. Strength, agility, balance, speed, endurance, weapon training... Not to mention magic...”

    For the first time, I felt some sympathy for her. “I'll work my hardest, Kadia,” I reassured her.

    “I would hope so. You have no other choice. Now then, I really must depart. I have papers to tend to. Files regarding the battalions and such... You shall continue to train with the others until I return.”

    After Kadia left, I approached Shaye as she was stretching and warming up on a nearby bench.

    She smiled. “Brielle, hello! How is the training coming along?”

    “Oh, fine. I was wondering if you’d like to join me.”

    “Well, I was actually about to run some laps... Maybe you should practice with Ashkan?” she suggested.

    “This seems planned,” I said. “But okay.”

    She simply nudged my shoulder as she passed.

    Ashkan was busy executing various attacks on a hanging grain bag. He impatiently pushed his hair out of his face, all while maintaining good form and posture. Every move was precise and calculated – he knew exactly what to do and when. His dark green eyes seemed full of steely focus. I felt it wasn’t polite to interrupt so suddenly, so I stood and waited.

    “Do you need something, De Mavset?” he asked seconds later, crossing his arms. His tone wasn’t rude this time, surprisingly.

    I stiffened at how creepy I probably appeared. “Sorry, I don’t mean to be bothersome. Shaye just left to run some laps, and she thought I should train with you.”

    Ashkan paused a moment before nodding. “What do you suggest?”

    “We were practicing with shields and wooden swords the other day. We could start there.”

    Calling them 'swords' was an overstatement. They were sword-shaped, and had proper handles, but were lighter and very dull. The biggest injury you could sustain would be a small bruise – and Kadia didn’t let us hit hard enough anyway. I still felt awkward holding it, however. The concept of wielding a weapon was so foreign to me. During the past couple of weeks, I had thought more about the events that had yet to come. How was I to prepare for a seemingly impossible task?

    Ashkan tossed me a sword. His gaze remained reticent and unperturbed. I didn't feel extremely confident, but I concentrated on his movements. I knew I'd come a long way from when I began, but I rarely trained with Ashkan. It was challenging enough getting him to say more than a few sentences in our conversations. His distant, taciturn nature made it difficult to find common ground. I remembered my conversation with Shaye, and how saddened I was to learn about Ashkan's past. Now, it was difficult not to see him in a completely different light. But he didn't know that I knew about his mother, so I shoved those thoughts aside.

    He attacked first – a right slash. I quickly sidestepped out of reach. The air was silent, save for the dull sounds of wood on wood. Ashkan moved fluidly. He rarely stood long enough for me to land a hit. I gripped my sword tighter and swung again. He met the strike with his own, pushing me back forcefully. I took a second to regain my balance. Sand and dirt began to form a cloud around us. 

    Our eyes met briefly. I nodded as if to tell him I was fine. Sweat began to form across my forehead with every move I made. He advanced with an attack. I ducked as the sword flew above my head. The second hit deflected off my shield. At that moment, I had gained some distance. Ashkan made the mistake of slashing upwards again as I lunged ahead, giving me an advantage. I sprinted forwards and slid on my knee, jabbing him right in the chest.

    He immediately jumped back in surprise. I couldn't quite tell what he was thinking, but he wasn't amused. I raised my sword diagonally to block his next move – but to no avail. At breakneck speed, he circle-parried the weapon, sending it flying, before ramming his shield into me. I misjudged the direction he took, which resulted in my face receiving most of the impact. The unexpected collision knocked the wind out of my lungs. In a matter of seconds, I stumbled to the ground, hitting my head in the process.

    Ashkan knelt beside me after a few seconds. "That was quite a fall."

    An apology would be nicer than an observation. "It's okay. I feel fine," I replied. "We can keep training, just give me a minute..."

    He offered me his hand – likely just out of decency – but I got up myself instead. The muffled sound of my heartbeat filled my ears. I felt dizzy. My head throbbed. I wanted to leave; I wanted Ashkan to leave. But I couldn't walk without the ground shifting beneath me. A metallic taste seeped onto my tongue.

    "Your lip is bleeding."

    "Is it?"

    "The shield, it probably... Um, the edge."

    "It's fine," I repeated. "I just need some water."

    Ashkan shook his head. "I'll take you to the infirmary."

    "No," I shot back. "No. You're overreacting."

    "Your eyesight is clearly impaired. And I'm certain that's not the extent of it," he pressed.

    I sighed, still clutching my forehead. I'd known him long enough to understand that I wasn't going to win this argument. "Okay, I'll go. But only because you're so stubborn."

    I began walking paces ahead of him to avoid him trying to help me. It would only make him feel worse.


    After explaining the situation to Shaye, we left the training grounds. There were hospitals, infirmaries and clinics scattered all throughout Emiarhia, so the trip was short.

    The Northview Infirmary – quaint but spacious – sat near a small lake just inside the borders of Winithas. The interior smelled of clean linen with an undertone of disinfectant. Sunlight spilled from large windows into the entrance room, giving a welcoming atmosphere. Every surface was spotless. Nurses moved about with composure and purposefulness, dressed in muted blue and silver uniforms. One had a fresh bloodstain on her sleeve. Most of the employees seemed unhurried, however.

    We stood alone in the waiting room, save for a few others sitting in white armchairs. They watched us as we entered. Ashkan approached the man behind the desk. I didn't listen to their exchange. My eyes wandered down a nearby hallway. Everything looked so pure and sterile. The colourless walls bore a few deep gashes, presumably from the framed metal gurneys.

    Within minutes, I was escorted into a neighbouring office. The woman sitting behind the marble desk appeared a bit too young to be a doctor. Nonetheless, she donned a simple, practical uniform similar to those I'd seen earlier.

    "Hello, Brielle. My name is Ms. Greengrove. It's a pleasure to meet you."

    I smiled briefly. "And you."

    She tapped a quill against her chin. "The young man who was accompanying you – he has notified me of your trouble. Worry not. Simply from looking at you, I don't believe you've sustained any severe damage."

    Ms. Greengrove motioned for me to take a seat on the cushioned examination table. She took my chin in her hands.  Satiny, light blonde strands framed her pale blue-tinged cheeks, separate from the long plait cascading down her back. Her dense eyebrows furrowed. "Ah, a split lip. Not uncommon at all. Let's get this cleaned up first."

    She walked over to the back wall, where cabinets and shelves held dozens of assorted vials, jars and flasks. The light refracted across the glass containers, illuminating their diverse colours and shapes. Ms. Greengrove scanned each label, searching for a particular one. It was then when I noticed she wore fitted, white fabric gloves on her hands. I wouldn't normally find this peculiar in a hospital, but it seemed unnecessary.

    I heard her mumbling to herself as she combed the supplies. "Hydrocodone... Liquid triaxine... Lisinopril... Fezolise root..." Seconds later, she returned with two pots in hand – one clear and one faint yellow. "Rœumclor and a mild topical anesthetic. For accelerated repair and reduced discomfort." After my busted lip was cleaned and disinfected, she applied the salves with a cotton swab. It stung quite a lot, causing my eyes to water slightly.

    "Thanks. I'm relieved I don't need stitches," I admitted.

    "Cuts to the mouth or tongue often bleed profusely due to the high blood supply in said area. Yet, these wounds rarely require sutures. Elevated blood supply supports rapid healing." Ms. Greengrove answered as if reading from a textbook, her clear blue eyes darting around the room. "How is your head feeling?"

    "A little sore. Not too bad."

    "How exactly did this happen, again?"

    "I lost my balance and fell. My head hit the ground. Ashkan didn't do it on purpose..."

    "Emesis? Issues with vision? Fatigue?"

    I shook my head. "I feel a lot better just sitting for a bit."

    She gave a small smile. "Excellent. When you arrived, I was concerned you may have been concussed. Fortunately, simply by examining your behaviour, I have determined my theory false."

    "How did you figure that out so easily?"

    "Simple. No confusion or memory loss. No balance problems, nausea or lasting dizziness. Sensitivity to light and noise is normal. Minimal swelling. Identical pupils, decreasing headache... You will return to full health after a peaceful night's rest."

    I hopped off the table and walked towards the door. "Thank you so much for your help."

    "Nonsense. I help the patients I'm assigned; that is my profession," she said. "Please do not hesitate to return if your discomfort continues after two days."

    Just as I gripped the door handle, it swung open.

    Kadia stepped through. She gave me a glance before turning to Ms. Greengrove. "What's the damage, Lunellia?"

    "Split lip, slight bruising, minor cephalgia," she listed. "Healed by dawn."

    "You two have met before?" I interjected.

    "We've been close for a very long time," Kadia affirmed. "I encouraged her to continue studying medicine when she became disheartened. This is her second year as an apprentice medic. She's the best around."

    Lunellia flushed pink. "Enough flattery... I have yet to gain a prestigious title."

    "But you are very talented and intelligent. Nobody else in this field has as much passion as you do," Kadia continued.

    "Many thanks..." Lunellia said shyly, fidgeting with her gloves. "Ah, these are terribly uncomfortable."

    "Why not remove them? Perhaps your one hand needs a stretch," Kadia suggested. I became confused by her phrasing. Lunellia removed the left glove and paused. She looked at me.

    Kadia leaned against the desk. "No need to be shamefaced. It's only Brielle. I've told you about her before." I was somewhat surprised about Kadia's revelation, but more so muddled over why Lunellia's gloves were so significant.

    "Um... I think it is only fair to warn you," she began. "I do not... My right hand...is gone." Underneath her second glove was, in fact, a hand – but not one of flesh and bone. Grey metal ran from her mid-forearm to her fingertips. Not a trace of skin could be seen. The prosthetic was made of steel plates, rivets and tubes.

    My jaw dropped in disbelief. Upon realizing the insensitivity of my reaction, I tried to hide my shock. "I'm sorry, I've just never seen anything like that before. It's fascinating."

    Lunellia turned the hand over, flexing its fingers. "Thank you, I suppose. It has functioned acceptably thus far. The joints lock up every now and then."

    "It must be unpleasant," I sympathized. "Do you mind if I ask what happened?"

    She hesitated but ultimately complied. "Well, I'm sure Kadia has told you about magic. And the fact of how most Emiarhians are born with inner magic, while some are not. I am one of those who do not possess that...ability. To not be able to summon magic is becoming steadily rarer. Ergo, it is not unusual for non-magic children to be teased or mocked by others. At a young age, I was cornered by a group of older adolescents on my walk home from the Academy. In short, I tried to run, but they pursued me into an abandoned homestead. The building was crumbling and dangerously precarious. The combined weight of five children stomping around was too much for the second storey, as it collapsed under us. My right hand was crushed under a large piece of debris and had to be amputated. I was otherwise unharmed."

    My expression turned pained. "That must have been horrendous, Lunellia."

    She smiled serenely, shaking her head. "'Tis all in the past now. I wear gloves to cover the unsavoury sight, as the majority of prosthetics nowadays have synthetic skin overlaying the metal. Despite being nicer on the eyes, my parents did not have the funds for the option at the time. I quite like the appearance of the metal, though."

    "I think it looks cool," I said.

    Kadia checked the pocket watch attached to her belt. "We should be on our way, Brielle. Why don't you wait in the hallway? I have some private matters to discuss with Ms. Greengrove. I'll join you in a minute."

    "Oh, okay..." I thanked Lunellia again for her help before stepping out of the room. To my surprise, Shaye and Ashkan were standing a little farther down the hall.

    As soon as she saw me, Shaye came rushing up. "My gods, Brielle! You gave me quite the scare. Is everything all right? How do you feel?" She hugged me tightly.

    I laughed into her shoulder. "Don't bombard me with questions. I'm much better now."

    "I'm so relieved. You looked really shaken up earlier," she said.

    "This isn't gonna be my last trip here, Shaye. I hope you won't react this way every time I get hurt."

    She pouted and hugged me again. "I shan't think about that right now."

    For a moment, I forgot that Ashkan was there with us. My smile faded. His expression looked concerned, and perhaps a bit contrite.

    I slowly approached him. "I...didn't expect you two to be here."

    "I must apologize," he interjected, staring at the floor. "It's entirely my fault that you're injured."

    I paused for a second, taken aback. "It's okay, it was my fault too. I wasn't watching where I was going. No need to be sorry."

    He shook his head and looked at me. "There's no excuse for my actions..."

    Our eyes locked for several seconds. I opened my mouth to speak but realized I didn't know how to reply. "Ashkan, it's okay," I repeated with a lighthearted chuckle. "I just lost my balance, that's all."

    "Still..." he trailed off.

    Suddenly, Kadia walked out of Lunellia's office. "Everyone set?"

    I gave Ashkan a small smile before joining Kadia. "Isn't it a big coincidence that I happened to meet Lunellia out of all the medics here?"

    "No," she replied. "I specifically requested to have her treat any of you three if something happened. I trust her the most amongst all the staff."

    "She must be really good at her job."

    "Indeed. She's reliable and quick-witted."

    "I'm sure this is only the first of many visits to the hospital," I realized. Shaye waved her hand as if to dismiss my statement. She slung her arm around my shoulder as the four of us left the infirmary.


    "The sky is so beautiful here..." I trailed off. "So many stars."

    "Indeed," Shaye laughed. "This 'light pollution' you speak of, I couldn't bear it."

    After the training 'incident', I decided to spend my Saturday evening at Shaye's house – by her invitation, of course. Ashkan headed home immediately after leaving the infirmary. I guessed he was still feeling awkward about the whole ordeal.

    I would rarely spend the night over in Emiarhia, mostly because I could only stay at Shaye's or Kadia's, but I enjoyed doing so. I returned home briefly to ask my parents first, though. They were always okay with it as long as I was with someone they trusted.

    Shaye was lying on her bed, and I was sitting on the mattress-like cushion her parents had set out for me. Although somewhat thin, it was surprisingly comfortable with pillows and blankets. The sun had almost completely set. We talked while stargazing. Moonlight spilled through the large window, casting a silvery glow. It was almost identical to Earth's but more brilliant and with fewer craters.

    "Corrus is quite vivid tonight," Shaye observed.

    "That's the name of the moon, right?"

    She nodded. "I wonder if we can see Eras."

    I shifted to face her. "What's that?"

    "The second moon. The smaller one," she replied.

    "Emiarhia has two moons?!"

    Shaye nodded again, surprised at my question. "You've never noticed?"

    "I haven't been here during nighttime much at all," I pointed out. "I'm so used to the sky being grey that I forgot to look around."

    Sure enough, if I leaned to my right, there was another orb among the stars. Eras was roughly half the size of Corrus, and with a more bluish gleam.

    "That's so cool," I whispered. "Do they ever overlap?"

    "Four times a month, usually. The smaller one is closer than the larger one, thus it orbits at a slightly higher speed. The formation in which the smaller moon partially covers the larger one is called a lunar ring. There's a mountain in Shialumura called Otaek, which is the highest peak in all of Emiarhia. When the formation aligns directly above Otaek's peak – once every year – the Nyvar Festival is held."

    I smiled. "I bet that'll be amazing to witness."

    "It never loses its beauty, no matter how many times you see it," she agreed. "I'm quite eager for it."

    "When is the festival again?"

    "Less than two weeks from now. I have been preparing for months. Oh, the piles of sketches I've drawn...!"

    I grinned. It seemed like with all of the craziness going on, this was the perfect time for a celebration. I needed something fun to take my mind off of the danger looming inside my future. Everything remained unclear. I still wasn't sure I understood the magnitude of the situation.

    As my thoughts drained away into the night sky, I huddled deeper into the blankets. Shaye had her eyes closed; I could barely see her peaceful expression through the murky shadows. I sighed, my head taking solace on a pillow. The Nyvar Festival, twelfth grade, the Academy, the war, and Ashkan... I was overwhelmed. For years, I'd hoped for more excitement in my life. But with everything happening all at once... Was I in over my head?

0