Chapter 16 ~ Twinkling Lights and Gilded Invites
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    In time, the three of us were set. I could feel my excitement growing. Mrs. Onusch-Eires gathered everyone for a quick photo downstairs, using a strange-looking, handheld camera with a rectangular, concave lens. It was just another reminder to me that Emiarhia was much more technologically advanced than it appeared to be. The picture was printed out of the top within seconds and she beamed at the result.

    Shaye held my hand tightly as we stepped outside. She had the biggest smile on her face. A coach was waiting for us just down the road, drawn by six pegasi of different breeds. Some of them whinnied contentedly as we approached. There were two men and a woman wearing simple uniforms leaning against the vehicle. One man walked over to stand beside the stairs to the entrance, while the others pulled themselves up on the bench at the front to take the reins. The carriage had large, polished wheels and was crafted from glossy, walnut hardwood. Although, it seemed rather small.

    My expression became perplexed. "How are we going to fit six people in there?"

    "Magic," Shaye replied plainly. She entered the coach and waved at me to follow.

    I turned to Ashkan. The corners of his mouth curled into a smile. He tilted his head towards the entrance. "Ladies first."

    Hesitantly, I took the man's outstretched hand to steady myself as I climbed inside. I was dumbfounded at the sight before me. The interior was way bigger than it should have been – at least three times as big as the carriage's exterior. It resembled a limousine, but even more spacious. I sat down beside Shaye in the back corner, atop one of the black velvet benches. The long windows let in plenty of sunlight along with the partially glass roof. There was even a little refreshment table at the front.

    Ashkan took a seat across from me, and Shaye's brothers filled in the remaining empty spots. Within minutes, the coach started moving. We travelled a little ways before reaching a long stretch of dirt road. The pegasi began speeding up. All I could hear was the sound of rushing air and thumping hooves. Shaye had told me earlier how we would be getting to Shialumura, but experiencing it was even better.

    The vehicle lurched forwards and shook for a few seconds as it was lifted from the ground. It was not unlike a jet plane taking off. The magic elevating the carriage kicked in right on time and from there, everything was smooth sailing. Shaye and her siblings soon started debating something about potion ingredients. I stared out of the window beside me. There was no reason to go above the clouds, so I could see everything distinctly sprawled out. Really, it was just masses of various neutral colours. Trees and buildings were blending together as we ascended higher. Some other flying carriages were situated near us, undeniably sharing our destination.

    "Not afraid of heights, are you?" Ashkan piped up.

    Please, I've been on way too many planes and roller coasters for that to be true. I met his eye casually. "Nope."

    He smirked faintly and leaned back to look out of the skylight. Only then did I take notice of his bizarrely formal appearance. He could've passed for someone who just stepped off some kind of couture runway. It was somewhat shocking to see him in a detailed suit with coiffed hair. I pondered on how Shaye managed to tame and style his locks which always seemed to have a mind of their own. It still looked soft to the touch – just neater. A few curls hung loosely above his eye.

    Without being obvious, I examined his outfit curiously just to pass the time. Shaye definitely never ran low on creativity. Evidently, the tailored jacket and pants were a pure, silver-grey colour with a slight sheen. He wore a thin, black turtleneck sweater underneath. The jacket was double-breasted with black buttons and had long, pointed lapels. It extended into tapered coattails. From underneath the unbuttoned top of his jacket, a wide, indigo silk sash wrapped diagonally around the left side of his ribcage, across his back, and stopped at the right underarm seam. The welts of his black dress shoes were lined with miniature indigo crystals. These blue-violet jewels were also crafted into cufflinks and a matching lapel pin. They added colour and a tiny bit of sparkle, but not tack.

    Due to my lingering gaze, Ashkan looked back at me once more. "What?"

    "Nothing, sorry." I turned away, trying to hide a sheepish smile.

    He leaned forwards and rested his forearms across his knees. I could tell by his skeptical expression that he wasn't quite convinced by my answer.

    I mimicked his posture. "Geez, I just think you look nice," I grinned.  "If you must know."

    "Oh." His eyebrows shot up. "Um, thanks." He smiled slightly, but it was fleeting – as if he was trying to shake off my compliment.

    We took a quick stop at the barracks to drop off our teleportation necklaces. It felt wrong letting it out of my sight, but I knew I had to. I then settled in for the two-hour flight, finally tuning in to the discussion around me about whether or not pnylkasin was a component of amnesia-curing elixir.


    The sun was just beginning to set when the coach landed. It bathed the entire city in golden light. Shialumura was gorgeous and warmer than Winithas. It was also easily the most modern realm, as electrical devices were everywhere. I tried to soak in the new sights and sounds as we continued down the streets. Some people pointed or waved at us while others were occupied with decorating. Every building was ornamented with shining lanterns, ribbons, wreaths, or strings of lights. Children danced and played around maypoles without a care in the world.

    At the top of the gentle cliff sat our final destination – a colossal mansion the size of three or four football fields. Its architecture was carved from black, white, and gold stone. The king and queen of this realm had opened it to the public for the Festival. However, the perimeter was heavily guarded, including the rooftop. The carriage passed two huge sets of gates and several solid gold fountains before stopping perpendicular to the entrance. After Shaye, I exited cautiously onto the white carpet that led inside.

    Lots of guests were milling about, all dressed just as lavishly as we were – some even more so. There were crowds of what looked like reporters gathered around the doors. They were all clutching onto various metal devices, some of which were even levitating over their shoulders. As we approached, they suddenly turned to us and started taking pictures and bombarding us with questions. 

    "How does it feel to be a saviour born on Earth?"

    "What designer are you wearing?"

    "Can you comment on the rumour of a love triangle between the three of you?"

    I rolled my eyes. Thankfully, the guards held them back before they got too intrusive.

    Inside, everything was just as opulent as I'd expected. I could almost see my reflection in the pale stone floors. A nearby sign with several arrows pointed to the ballroom, the lounge, the dining room, the gardens, and the lavatory. I made a mental note not to stray too far, as I'd definitely get lost in the mansion's seemingly endless rooms. Up ahead, an orchestra was playing classical music on instruments unfamiliar to me. The pleasant melody mingled with the ambience of conversations and glasses clinking.

    Cilas, Kelton and Fenryk all took off to the dining room to scout for hors d'œuvres. Kadia and Thorne were standing off to the side amongst Morgina, Tyrath and Reyshore, and advanced towards us when they noticed our presence. Kadia was wearing a flattering, bronze sheath dress with sections of metal plating and her hair was tied into a crown braid. Thorne's utilitarian, dark green suit complemented it perfectly.

    "We'll be watching over you three tonight, along with your guards," Kadia said.

    "Do you sense any danger?" Shaye asked.

    She shook her head. "No, tonight should proceed without difficulty. Enjoy yourselves. Just don't do anything reckless." Her eyes then shifted to me. "I'm particularly directing this to you, Brielle."

    "Relax, I'll be fine." I waved my hands dismissively.

    "Don't make me worry again." I gave her a thumbs-up. And with that, they let us be.

    "So," I spoke up after a beat of silence. "What now?"

    "We must find our dates," Shaye replied. "Let's see if they're close by."

    After walking around for a bit, I spotted my dance partner resting against the bar in the taproom. I smiled and wondered if he was comparing it to his mother's tavern.

    "Hi, Elliott!" I greeted.

    The neat spiral curls on top of his head swayed from side to side as he did a double-take. "Brielle! My apologies. I almost didn't recognize you."

    I laughed. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

    "A good thing, of course. That gown is exquisite. You look lovely tonight." He adjusted his glasses and smiled sweetly.

    "Thank you! It's all Shaye's work." I gestured to his ensemble which was coloured precisely like blue rhodium. "That suit looks great on you, by the way."

    The jacket was really more of a light coat, as it reached below his knees. It lacked buttons and instead was fastened by a suede waist sash in the same colour. It boasted epaulets and intricate, embossed appliqués in the exact shade of lavender I was wearing. The silk wraps on his horns matched as well.

    His face flushed briefly from my compliment. "Ah, that's terribly nice of you to say. Oh, and I took extra care to file my nails, so no need to worry." My look of confusion must've been enough of an answer for him. "Right, of course, you probably aren't yet familiar with the typical features of Emiarhia's different races... Essentially, a fairly common trait amongst my lineage is naturally sharper-than-average nails. Most people from my race partake in plenty of tree climbing, you see. They're advantageous for some things but awful for nicking other people. But you shan't need to fret about that, I assure you. Besides, I can't very well wear rings with gloves..."

    "I see. Well, shall we join the others? We all sort of went looking for our dates on our own."

    "Yes, right. About that..." The countless rings on his fingers clinked against his glass as he quickly downed the last of his drink. "I'd like to speak with you first. Privately."

    It was hard to hide the surprise in my voice. "Oh, there might be a spot in the gardens out back."

    "It shan't take long," he assured me.

    I followed behind him as he led me out of the taproom. As we were turning the corner, I unexpectedly bumped into Ashkan, who was going the opposite way.

    He reached for my elbows as if to steady me, but rapidly withdrew. "Sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going."

    "Ashkan, hello," Elliott replied. "Pardon me, I just need to talk with Brielle for a moment."

    "Yeah, we'll be right back. Catch you later!" I called over my shoulder, leaving Ashkan standing with a puzzled expression.

    After winding through the mansion's labyrinth of rooms, we eventually reached the garden. I explained to my personal guards that were following me from a distance that I was having a private conversation, and they could monitor from the windows inside.

    Elliott stood behind a wall of hedges so we were separated from the other nearby guests. "Thank you for coming along."

    "No problem. Is everything all right?"

    "Yes... I'd just like to...clarify something." He sighed. "It is a bit...discomfiting."

    I gave him a reassuring smile. "Take your time. No rush."

    He cleared his throat. "I thought you should know...that...um... I'm not attracted to women... I-In a romantic sense, that is..."

    It took me a second to understand the message he was trying to get across. "Oh, okay. Why would that be a problem?"

    He stared back doubtfully. "You aren't offended?"

    "Oh my god, no! Of course not."

    "Thank the stars..." He looked utterly relieved. "This isn't exactly something I shout from the rooftops, but I simply wanted to be honest with you. Just in case...um...a sort of misunderstanding was to occur in relation to tonight."

    "I hope I didn't make you feel obligated to tell me," I replied.

    "No, not at all! If I chose not to tell you, you would've suspected sooner or later. Unfortunately, once in a blue moon, I'll become newly acquainted with a girl and she'll mistake my affability for...fondness, I suppose. And that's always awkward." He sighed lightly. "Anyhow, that doesn't matter – I'm delighted that you're here with me. I wasn't going to attend if Shaye didn't make the offer."

    I laughed. "I'm glad too! I couldn't ask for a better dance partner."

    Elliott squared his shoulders with newfound confidence as if a weight had been lifted from them. "Thank you for being so kind."

    "Don't mention it. C'mon, let's go have fun."

    Elliott beamed from ear to ear and offered me his arm. I wrapped mine underneath his elbow as the two of us made our way up the grand staircase to the progressively crowding ballroom.

    Shaye saw us from across the dance floor and walked over. Viktor Queysl, her date, stuck close to her side. I instantly recognized his straight, curtained, black-green hair and grey eyes that matched his skin's slate-grey undertones. His pupils were somewhat constricted into narrower, beaded shapes, a configuration I'd only seen if the light levels happened to be bright enough – they were round the rest of the time. To accompany Shaye's gown, his attire included a tasteful, dark teal doublet with gold trim and hardware.

    "Viktor, you remember Brielle from school," Shaye began. "And this is Elliott." We exchanged a friendly nod.

    "I just saw Ashkan a minute ago–" Viktor mentioned right as Ashkan appeared beside him from the crowds around us.

    Shaye clapped her hands. "Good! Now we're all together."

    I hardly paid any attention to what anyone was saying because I was too busy trying not to gape at the girl holding onto Ashkan's arm. His date was stunning. Her round eyes were a unique mix of pink, red, and purple; it looked like she had ocular albinism, yet her eyelashes were dense and dark. She had glossy, chin-length, midnight blue hair with an iridescent sheen and wispy bangs. I figured she must've been of similar ethnicity to Lilwen because her fingers were webbed with flexible, translucent layers in a shade of light blue that matched the subdued tinge of her skin. I didn't spot any gills, though. Regardless, she looked like a fairy. Her floaty, chiffon gown only added to this effect – it was amethyst purple, had one long sleeve and an umbrella skirt, and was sparkly all over. I abruptly felt a little more self-conscious about my own appearance.

    "I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting. I was in the art gallery and forgot about the time." She giggled softly, resting her head on Ashkan's shoulder. "Oh, how rude of me... My name is Ofelia Bewcourt. Lovely to meet you all." We all introduced ourselves one by one. "Brielle... What a pretty name," she commented when it was my turn. "Hehe. After the cheese?"

    I paused and replayed her question in my head before laughing politely. I genuinely couldn't tell if she was joking. "Er, no... But I guess that would be funny."

    Thankfully, that conversation ended soon enough. A guard approached our group and notified us that the ceremony was starting. Shaye, Ashkan and I had to go with him. In an instant, any calmness I was feeling was replaced by nervousness. We were instructed to go up on the stage at the back of the room where the musicians sat.

    The king and queen of Shialumura, both practically dripping in gold and jewels, greeted us atop the stage. The three of us then stood in a line up front. The chandeliers dimmed as we were each left under a spotlight. I watched as the King murmured something, tapping two fingers to his throat. Faint, orange sparks floated around his Adam's apple as he began speaking with a voice so loud it was like he was using a megaphone.

    "Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed guests from all corners of Emiarhia," he said. "Welcome to the 328th annual Nyvar Festival!"

    The crowd clapped enthusiastically.

    "This year, we are delighted to present a brief update on the almost decades-old Tremaium prophecy."

    A deafening silence fell across the room like everyone was holding their breath. My heartbeat quickened and I started twiddling my thumbs out of habit. I wanted nothing more than to simply run away.

    "The three saviours from that exact augury have finally been found – and they stand before you at this very moment." The King nodded in our direction. "Please give a round of applause for our champions: Ashkan Wroet'by, Shaylie Onusch-Eires, and Brielle de Mavset!"

    Ear-splitting cheers and whistles erupted from the audience. The applause was thunderous. Some people even started stomping their feet. I thought I was going to be knocked over from the sheer force of their excitement. Reporters and paparazzi fought their way to the front of the throng and took hundreds of photos as if they were trying to blind us with flash photography. I plastered a smile on my face, hoping I appeared more composed than I felt.

    Elliott met me at the bottom of the stage staircase when the ceremony was over. "Gods, that was intense... How are you feeling?"

    "I don't know... A little uncomfortable," I replied. "Can't say I'm a fan of all this attention. Or my name being publicized."

    He frowned sympathetically. "Completely understandable. It seems like that prophecy is all that's been in the papers lately... But if no reassurance was given to the masses, some people would surely turn paranoiac. The omen is rather...brutal..." I bit my lip. "Gah, I'm not being supportive at all...! Forget what I said. I'll try to help rid your mind of these draining unpleasantries." He grinned brightly. "Besides, the traditional dance begins shortly."


    It only took a few minutes for everyone to clear out a circle in the centre of the vast ballroom. Ashkan, Shaye and I stood with our partners on the edge closest to the middle. On the count of three, the orchestra and choir launched into a new song – the same one I had been practicing to, but in rich surround sound. It had an ethereal air about it. However, the introduction of this version was longer. 

    Six royal couples from different realms positioned themselves in the centre first. They waltzed around for about a minute, performing a relatively simple number. Everybody clapped as the opening section of the song ended. Afterwards, they returned to their seats on the dais to observe the rest of us.

    Next was our turn. I flipped my hair over my shoulder, smoothed the front of my gown, and held my head up high.

    Elliott linked his arm with mine. "Ready?"

    I took a step forward. "Let's do this."

    The applause continued as everyone shifted their attention to the six of us. Together, each pair formed points of a large triangle in the middle of the room. Shaye smiled at me as we crossed paths. I spotted Kadia and Thorne in the crowd as well. He gave us a grin and a thumbs-up, while she simply nodded.

    Elliott and I turned to face each other. He bowed gracefully and I curtsied after. We placed our hands in the correct positions and waited for a specific beat signifying the second segment of the waltz. The rings on his left hand began warming up as he held my right.

    "If I step on your foot, just step on mine back," I whispered.

    He stifled a chuckle. "Don't worry. You won't."

    Everybody's watching, I thought. I cannot mess up now.

    The music swelled and we started dancing. Fortunately, I could remember every step with ease. I had been rehearsing the routine so much in my head during the past few days that I could do it in my sleep. A slow smile spread across my face. I was actually enjoying myself.

    "You're doing wonderfully," Elliott said, spinning me in a circle. My dress fluttered gently around my feet.

    I was so relieved that I didn't trample his toes on the way back in. "Thanks for being such a flawless dancer!"

    He was jaw-dropping compared to me, but he made it look so effortless. Shaye was right – he could give any professional ballroom dancer a run for their money.

    We shifted our stances, pressing our opposite forearms together and moving in a clockwise circle before switching. The gentle voices of a choir echoed through the room as the string instruments played elegantly. I could feel the reverb in my chest. Every other pair around us joined in at that moment, creating a mesmerizing array of people waltzing closely in unison.

    Elliott took me by the waist, lifted me up, and twirled us deftly in a half-circle. It was really cool seeing all the other girls being spun around by their partners at the exact same time. He set me down as if I was a porcelain doll. I couldn't help but laugh.

    "If I'm not overstepping," he said, "is everything all right between you and Ashkan?"

    I frowned, confused. "Yeah. I mean, I hope so... Why?"

    We kept dancing. At this point, it was apparently second nature to both of us.

    "He keeps glancing at me. Or perhaps at you; I can't quite tell."

    "Really? That's weird..." I waited until we did another quarter-turn to look over at him and Ofelia. Sure enough, Ashkan was side-eyeing us big time. He angled his head away immediately.

    Elliott shrugged. "Forgive me, I just thought it was a little peculiar."

    "Just between you and me, he's been acting kind of strangely all day."

    "Any idea as to why?"

    "I literally have no clue."

    The music got quieter and quieter as the song finished. Everyone bowed or curtsied to their partners before applauding the musicians and choir onstage. Conversations resumed and crowds intermingled again. My stomach let out a short growl. I didn't realize I was hungry until then. Elliott and I met up with the rest of our group and headed to the dining room.


    There were dozens of circular tables placed everywhere, draped in white tablecloths and each surrounded by nine gilded chairs. One long table sat at the front atop an inclined segment. The kings, queens and other people of high status were situated on skinny thrones there. We were told to sit at a table nearest to them. I took the seat next to Elliott, leaving an empty chair on my other side.

    "I think we all worked up an appetite," Shaye remarked.

    Viktor rubbed his chin. "Why are there three empty seats, though?"

    "There's only six of us..." Ofelia said, squinting.

    "Usually," Elliott added, "this area is reserved for princes and princesses. I wonder..."

    Scanning the room, I noticed the tables closest to the royal folk's dais were occupied by people who seemed to be descendants of kings and queens. Maybe since we were considered special guests, we were allowed to dine amongst royalty. To say that it felt 'weird' wouldn't begin to describe how surreal everything was.

    I watched Shaye's eyes widen. She leaned forwards and spoke in a hushed tone, "Look, it's the Winithinian royal children! Shh, they're coming this way..."

    Seconds later, three figures strolled up to us – two guys and a young girl. To my surprise, they filled in the remaining seats.

    "Hello, all," the girl spoke up. She was definitely younger (and shorter) than us – maybe fourteen or fifteen. She scanned our faces with dark violet eyes. Her straight, ice-blue hair draped over her candy pink, tea-length bouffant dress, which was very ruffly and glittery.

    We all bowed our heads and gave a cordial greeting.

    The prince who sat to my left shifted towards me. "I don't believe we've met. You're Lady De Mavset, right?" I just nodded respectfully in an effort to prevent myself from saying something wrong. He smiled handsomely. "I'm Zyel. This is my twin brother, Reuvyn," he hooked his thumb to the prince next to him, "and my little sister, Diamae."

    They certainly looked like identical twins. I estimated they were only a couple of years older than us. They shared the same dark blue eyes and pale blond hair, but Reuvyn's was longer and tidier. They both wore similar, impeccably tailored suits in different colour schemes. Zyel's ensemble was burgundy and black like dark zirconium while Reuvyn's was grey and light blue like super-heated steel. Both outfits were very regal and ornate – they included fur, silk ascots, one-shoulder capes, and armour-like plating.

    I sat up straighter. "Pleasure to meet you." I gestured to everyone else separately. "These are my friends - Elliott, Shaylie, Viktor, Ofelia, and Ashkan."

    A waiter came by and filled each of our golden goblets with a light red drink. He then served us all the first course: soup. I tentatively dipped my spoon into the little bowl and tasted it. The soup was warm, smooth, and had a beige colour. The closest thing I could liken the flavour to was potato and leek with fancy seasoning.

    Zyel was the first to break the silence. "Is everyone enjoying the night thus far?" There was a collective response of 'absolutely's and 'definitely's. "Even you, Brielle?" he asked. "You are from Earth, are you not?"

    I looked up from my soup. "Yes, Your Highness."

    He grimaced. "Please, call me Zyel. I hate all that formal rubbish..."

    Uh, am I allowed to do that?

    Diamae planted her elbows on the table and fixed her gaze on me. "What is it like on Earth? Were there really two world wars? Do you think there'll be a third? How come there's no magic–?"

    "Enough," Reuvyn said. "Don't pester her."

    "I'm just asking..." she pouted.

    "Oh, now I'm curious," Ofelia chimed in. "Why do you call them skyscrapers?" She poked Ashkan's arm, seeking a response. "Right? And why are there so many oceans?"

    "Don't be bothersome, now..." Ashkan told her in the gentlest, most polite tone he could muster. He glanced at me briefly. I suppressed a laugh.

    Later, a waitress swiftly gathered up our dishes and served the main course. A gilded plate was set down in front of me. Of course, I recognized nothing on it, but it smelled delicious. Everything was arranged and garnished like an art piece. There was a delicate cut of braised meat with a light brown glaze, a dollop of what looked like orange whipped potatoes, a bed of yellow noodles, and a colourful medley of spiced, foreign vegetables. I picked up the first fork my fingers touched, ready to dig in.

    "Wrong utensil," Elliott muttered, leaning in close to speak. He smiled. "It's the next one over."

    I gave him a grateful look before switching forks. "You're a lifesaver."

    Reuvyn took a sip of his drink and continued talking about something I didn't hear. "Anyhow, I was disheartened to hear about the encounter you three had with those vile Inkbloods."

    "It was quite unfortunate," Shaye said. "They surrounded us. I don't know what would have happened if Brielle didn't help us escape."

    All eyes turned to me.

    "Oh, what did she do?" Zyel inquired, his interest piquing.

    My cheeks started getting hot. "No, don't get it twisted. We all worked together–"

    "I heard you squared off with the weakest," Viktor interjected with a grin. "Rammed straight through the bloke an' took off like a bullet."

    Zyel laughed amusedly and Reuvyn looked surprised. Ashkan tried to hide a smirk as he kept eating. Truthfully, that whole event was still weighing on my mind. Even though he ended up being okay, I was still convinced that his injuries were caused by my rashness.

    "Just about. She's a tough one," Shaye giggled. I shot her a look. "Oh, come now. You needn't be humble all the time."

    I shook my head. "The real hero was Elliott. He let us hide out in his tavern's cellar."

    "Wow! Brilliant!" Diamae exclaimed. "And then what?"

    Elliott dabbed his mouth with a napkin. "Well, that's... I mean... Ashkan simply told me that he was looking for his friends. So, he gave me a quick description of Shaye and Brielle and I kept a lookout for them. Anyone in my position would've done the same..."

    "But that's what saved us, really," I said, nudging his arm. He smiled bashfully.

    "Gods, that sounds rousing," Zyel mused. "If only I could become an adventurer."

    Reuvyn scoffed from beside him. "That'll be the same day Hezura's desert freezes over. Our parents would never allow it."

    He ignored his brother and addressed me instead. "Perhaps I can convince you to bring me along on one of your quests sometime." He leaned in close as he spoke, looking directly into my eyes.

    Diamae clasped her hands together. "Ooh, bring me as well!"

    I cleared my throat and returned to my food. "Maybe one day." I didn't think that was ever going to happen, but I wasn't sure if I should say 'no' to a prince.

    I scanned everyone else at the table, hoping someone would reroute the topic of conversation, but they were all focused on their plates. All except for Ashkan, who had already finished eating and was now glaring back and forth between me and Zyel. He had a sour look on his face, but he was hiding it pretty well.

    I waited for him to glance at me again before mouthing, "What's wrong?"

    As if flipping a switch, his guise snapped back to apathy. "Nothing," he mouthed back. He then transferred his attention to Ofelia, who had not stopped clutching his hand the entire evening. I rolled my eyes and decided to just leave him alone.

    Dessert was then given out after they cleared our plates and refilled our drinks. I was stunned to find that the dish contained foods all familiar to me; only the presentation was new and different. It was presented on a small, gold and white platter. There was a frosted chocolate cupcake wrapped and dusted in gold, two chocolate-and-gold-dipped strawberries, a little vanilla bean ice cream sundae smothered in gold flakes which was sitting in a warped, golden waffle cup, and a tiny, solid gold spoon with a swirl of fudge mousse on it.

    "Wait a second..." I muttered to myself.

    Elliott and Zyel both replied in tandem from either side of me. "What?"

    Their simultaneous reactions startled me a bit. "Oh, I just thought it was weird that I recognize these foods."

    "It's all from Earth, yes?" Elliott questioned. "Because this dish is very expensive here. It is from another universe..."

    "Then this must be nothing special to you, Brielle," Zyel chimed in. He grinned when I shook my head. "No?"

    "Quite the opposite," I replied. "I've never eaten gold before."

    Shaye looked at me and pointed to her dessert. "These are strawberries, right?"

    "Yep." It was so odd hearing someone say that. "Ever had one?"

    She laughed. "Not for a couple of years. They're quite tasty."

    "How did strawberries get their name? They aren't coloured like straw..." Ofelia picked one up and studied it with childlike curiosity. "Do you eat the green part?"

    "It won't hurt, but it's not particularly good." I stabbed my fork into one from my own plate and bit into it.

    For some reason, Zyel was watching me as I did so. I expected him to turn away after a second or two, but he didn't. He crossed one leg over the other and his entire body was shifted slightly in my direction. With one elbow on the table, he rested his temple against his fist. It was like he wasn't even trying to be subtle.

    Knowing I shouldn't just call him out on it, I slowly adjusted my gaze towards him. "Is...something wrong?"

    He shrugged and smiled but otherwise didn't move from his position. "No, not at all."

    From the edge of my vision, I noticed Ashkan still peering my way, but he was displaying a different, muddled emotion – something like uncertainty mixed with irritation. It was too often like a guessing game with him, trying to decipher his expressions.

    "Shaye, I think the fireworks should be starting soon," Viktor said between mouthfuls of cupcake. He brushed a loose strand of hair out of his date's face. "Let's go watch together."

    She wriggled away from his reach, pushed out her chair and stood up. "Yes, we should go find a spot before it gets too crowded! We'll meet you out there, everyone!" The two of them paid their respects to the princes and princess before Shaye trotted out of the dining room with Viktor chasing after her.

    Reuvyn also rose to his feet. "We ought to be going as well. Father wishes for us to commence the flame-launching on the garden balcony. It was truly a delight to meet you all."

    Everyone got up and said our goodbyes. Diamae made a point of asking me to tell her stories about Earth when I had some free time. I happily agreed, although free time was becoming increasingly rarer as the months passed by.

    As I was walking away, someone grabbed a firm hold of my arm. Good thing I resisted my training-induced instinct to plunge my elbow into their stomach – it was Prince Zyel.

    He immediately let go. "My apologies, I didn't mean to alarm you. I just wanted to let you know that I was serious about what I said earlier..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I'd like to–"

    "Zyel! Come here this instant!" King Typhis barked from his table. I nearly jumped out of my own skin.

    "Damn it. I should go." He shook his head and smiled at me once more. "Don't be a stranger, okay?"

    Before I could process what was going on, he took my hand, stooped down to plant a light kiss on the tops of my knuckles, winked, and jogged off. Swarms of adoring girls surrounded him until I couldn't see him anymore.

    I could feel my face burning up. My mouth went dry. I slowly turned around, my lips pursed tightly. Elliott was standing a dozen feet away, pretending to be absorbed in a painting on the wall.

    "How much of that did you hear?" I grumbled as we made our way to the exit.

    "It's not about what I heard so much as what I saw..."

    "Hey, don't be amused by this!"

    "I can't help it. You're as cherry-cheeked as ever."

    "Because I'm flustered! How was I to react to that?!" I punched his arm lightly. "Since when are you so wicked?"

    He laughed at my comment, his glasses glinting under the lights strung around the room. "When the limelight is not on me, I suppose."

    "Please don't tell anyone else about that. I'd like to avoid more controversy in my life as it is. Something tells me Zyel's fangirls aren't too happy with me, not to mention his father."

    He shook his head. "I wouldn't dream of it."

    I sighed and made an effort to push the whole encounter to the back of my head. "So, what did Reuvyn mean by 'flame-launching'?"

    "It's a Nyvar Festival tradition where you're given a rod with an enchanted flame on it. You make a wish and then blow on the flame. It will grow and rise into the sky. And if it explodes – which is where the fireworks come in – your wish will come true. So they say."

    Slowly but surely, we reached the exit. It was difficult because the guests had to funnel through a single doorway. My chest tightened from anxiety as I saw Ashkan and Ofelia waiting for us at the back. Damn it. How much of my awkwardness did they witness? Ofelia didn't seem to have noticed anything, probably because she was gazing at her date like he was the most beautiful being she'd ever laid eyes upon. Ashkan however, was stone-faced; which wasn't abnormal, but it didn't give any indication about what he had or hadn't seen.

    "...Let's meet up with Shaye and Viktor," Elliott suggested, likely sensing the tension in the air.

    Out in the gardens, Shaye had reserved a spot for us all amongst the flowerbeds and marble statues. Most people were gathered outside at this point. A cool wind rippled through the bushes. Insects chirped quietly from every direction. The night sky was completely clear and it gave a gorgeous view of the stars and moons. Sure enough, along the horizon, I could see the towering peak of Otaek mountain, where the moons overlapped to form a bright ring shape.

    Sharply-dressed butlers handed out already-lit rods to everyone. We watched as the kings and queens made their wishes from the balcony above along with every prince and princess. Their flames rose into the air like fireflies. Zyel spotted me and waved. I returned the gesture, albeit reluctantly.

    I held the rod in between my fingers, staring at the little golden flame on the end. Strangely, it gave off very little heat. I thought momentarily before making a wish.

    I wish for this prophecy to be untrue and for everyone to be safe.

    The glittering flame flickered and glowed brighter. I blew on it gently. It broke free from the rod and drifted upwards like a flower petal.

    "And now we wait," Elliott said.

    I watched my flame float higher and higher. "Too bad there's nothing like this where I live. At least not that I know of. Well, we have fireworks, but..." I stopped myself from rambling and trailed off instead.

    "Sometimes I forget you're Earthian, honestly."

    I chuckled. "That was kind of the point. Not anymore... Now everyone knows."

    He shifted to face me. "Well, people seemed to like you during the ceremony."

    "Maybe they were just being polite. And that didn't speak for all of Emiarhia."

    "Hey, don't let it trouble you." He tilted his head up towards the ever-expanding constellation of tiny flames. "After all, hope is seeing the light in spite of being surrounded by darkness."

    I couldn't hold back my smile. "I see what you did there."

    He mirrored my contentment, giving me a pat on the back. His rings had become much colder in the night air and I flinched as they touched my bare shoulder blade.

    "Oops, my mistake! Sorry..." He breathed on his fingers to try and warm them up.

    Man, it feels like everyone's been apologizing tonight... "No worries. Hey, how come you wear all those rings in the first place?"

    "Oh, I just like them, that's all. I used to sneak into my mother's jewelry box when I was a boy and wear all her rings. And now that I'm older, I can buy my own."

    "Awe, that's endearing."

    He beamed and pointed upwards. Explosions roared and crackled throughout the sky, illuminating everything beneath them for a split second. The vibrant colours were etched into my retinas. I watched with wonder as the fiery blooms burst across a canvas of stars. There was a sense of both impatience and jubilation within the display of magical pyrotechnics.

    Through the spectacle of flashing hues, I looked over at Shaye, who was just as cheerful as I was. I then glanced to Ashkan farther away. Our eyes met almost instantly. The side of his face lit up with each firework: green, then red, then blue, then pink. I gave him a small smile and – to my surprise – he smiled right back.

0