27. Family Feud
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, moments before disaster.

After defeating several robed cult members and armed men led by Ansel, Garth finds himself in a stand-off between the disgraced Daggerhand figurehead.

“Congratulation, lord Garth,” Ansel appears to have suffered at the hands of Titus. His demeanor is detached, his eyes devoid of concern. “I heard you got your barony,”

Garth, wary of Ansel's demeanor, assumes a defensive stance. “Yes,” he said.

“Was it also your day of birth?” Observing Garth's sturdy build, Ansel's face reveals bruises and blood, “So, off to the Academy then?”

“Yes,”

“I see,” Ansel puts his fists up, it is bruised and bloody. Titus made sure that his descendant was molded into a proper fighter so he put Ansel through a torturous process of instant training in the days leading to their attack.

In the burning alley, they find their paths crossed, and both figureheads prepare for battle despite their respective limitations. Ansel, untrained in combat or magic, is driven only by fear just to avoid Titus's wrath. Garth, fatigued from the previous battle, relies on his sheer willpower and love for his siblings.

Their clash is marred by handicaps, leaving the outcome of their fight shrouded in uncertainty.

They approached each other closely. Without further ado, they started without declaration. Their fists did all the work. First, Garth threw a straight left jab aimed at Ansel’s face, but the disgraced Daggerhand swiftly made a sidestep, countering with a wild hook to Garth’s right cheek.

When it connected, the impact sent Garth stumbling but quickly regained footing. He begins his retaliation with a series of rapid jabs and uppercut combinations, aiming directly at Ansel’s face who tries to avoid the attack. However, Ansel decides to step backward after taking a few punches.

Frustrated by Ansel’s instability, Garth attempted a tackle, determined to bring the Daggerhand fool to the ground and gain the upper hand. But Ansel anticipated Garth’s move, he shifted his legs, grabbed the tackling Garth’s arms, and used his momentum against him to flip him to the side.

Garth went flying and hit a pile of debris. At the impact, he contemplated the impossibility of Ansel’s strength to fling him off. 

Ansel, seeing Garth stunned, pressed his advantage to seize the opportunity to launch a barrage of kicks and stomps aimed at Garth’s abdomen.

Garth blocks the incoming attacks as best he can. The relentless yet wild blows that Ansel is delivering drives Garth into a corner. Determined, Garth catches Ansel’s leg and pushes him off, away from him, the distance made enables Garth to recover his footing.

When Ansel staggered, Garth desperately follows him with his fist. Landing a solid uppercut to Ansel’s jaw, momentarily lifting Ansel off the ground.

Now his enemy is full of openings, Garth immediately releases a flurry of punches, making Ansel unknowingly step back towards a wall. But Ansel, even when badly beaten, only strives to survive and finally fights back after letting Garth land some blows.

Their combat rages on, not letting their opponents exploit their openings, while also trying to land a powerful hit on each other. Each of them displays a fierce determination, pushing themselves to the limit. 

Finally, the two separated. Arms still up. Heaving for air. Both are anxious about the uncertain outcome, and both know their prowess has been lacking.

Ansel smirks, “The miracle boy, landing mediocre punches?”

“Do not mock me,” Garth sighs, “Your effort is even worse.”

“What brings you here anyway,” Ansel chuckles, “Are you not going to help suppress the prince?”

“I have business someplace else,”

Ansel grins, “Like what?”

Garth grunts, “Mind your own,”

“You don’t want to share?” Ansel sneers, “You don’t want to ask me why we’re here?”

“I don’t care,” Garth said.

Ansel spits blood onto the ground, his grin widening. “Typical. But I'll tell you anyway unless you prefer to keep fighting.”

Garth didn’t answer, still recovering from their brawl.

“Good,” Ansel wipes his mouth, “Titus didn't give us a name, but he's convinced that we're after someone he suspects to be the next Reincarnation Hero.”

“Me,” Garth jests.

“Ha!” Ansel blurted, “No. If you were, he could’ve started the ritual,”

“Another ritual. You and your rituals,”

“You see, he said he could’ve killed them before but it’s not that simple apparently,” Ansel steps forward, Garth cautiously steps back, “There are processes to these things, processes that I couldn’t care less,”

“Then why side with a dark prince?” Garth asks.

“I have to, else he won’t bring my parents back…” Ansel seems to be annoyed at the question, “Titus promised,”

“You trust the word of someone who tortures you to make you fight?”

“Shut it!” Ansel grits his teeth, “You know nothing! Titus is a malevolent prince of the Emperor, he molded me, promised me, and showed me their cause! You wouldn’t understand…”

Garth leans back, arms still raised, “Enlighten me,”

“Do you know why there’s been ten resurrection wars?”

Garth steps closer to Ansel, “Ancient history,”

“Your apathy is concerning,” Ansel said, “A baron should learn about history,”

“I know history,” Garth growls, “I know enough, I know that your family has been harassing this town, I know the founder of your household is none other than Titus himself. You are related to an unforgivable evil and I shall bring you to justice!”

“You know nothing!” Ansel clenches his fists, “I only wanted to bring my parents back, I thought you would understand! Who are you to speak to me that way?!”

“It seems to me, you didn’t know anything about Titus either,” Garth bares his teeth, “You unknowingly unleashed one of history’s greatest enemies!”

“Even without me, his resurrection was bound to happen!” Ansel’s voice cracks, “The world is due to another war, the Emperor is destined to be resurrected soon!”

“Reincarnation, resurrection, nonsense,” Garth shifted his stance, “Everything will be stopped here, I will make sure of it. There will be no wars happening soon, not now, not ever!”

“Your ignorance of history and prophecies is so fitting with your muscle brain of yours!”

“And your pathetic wailing fits you as well,”

Ansel points at Garth, “I know why you’re here and not up there helping your dear sister,”

Garth didn’t answer, preparing to strike first.

“You’re looking for your brothers?”

Garth lunges forward, aiming his thunderous right hook at Ansel’s nose. Although off guard, Ansel swiftly evades by crouching down just in time. As it misses, Ansel counters with jabs to Garth’s ribs.

Garth wince in pain, gritting his teeth. His eyes fill with burning determination, and with a burst of energy, Garth launches another set of relentless punches. His assault targets Ansel’s torso, mainly at the liver.

Once Garth’s fist landed on Ansel’s side, the blunt force made Ansel kneel in excruciating pain. But the mighty Everkind fists didn’t show any mercy to the foolish Daggerhand as the barrage of punches kept coming.

Ansel, despite being pushed back on the ground by the onslaught, makes use of his agility and rolls to the side. After dodging follow-up jabs, Ansel retaliates with occasional counters and an uppercut that lands with precision and force.

Garth didn’t budge but spit some blood and immediately threw raging punches and kicks at Ansel. His muscles ache and tire with every exertion of strength but his mind is focused on his goal.

The two are evenly matched. Deflecting and dodging each other’s blows. They both breathe heavily and grunt at every hit they take. Their faces begin to swell, they suffer some cuts, and endure a few scary bruises. Yet, they continue to exchange blow after blow. It is a battle of pure desperation, strength, and fury.

But they both knew this would not last any longer. With a sudden knee to the groin, Ansel caught Garth off guard.

Garth stumbles, he stares at Ansel with raging frustration, “Dishonorable!”

“Oh, please!” Ansel rests his arms and his legs lead the next combination of attacks with simple kicks and knee strikes.

Garth finds himself disoriented, blocking the incoming assaults, and protecting his face. Ansel manages to push him back and it seems he is gaining the upper hand in the fight.

“What now, lord Garth?!” Ansel taunts, “What now of the miracle child of the laughable Everkind!”

Then suddenly, there was a gap with Ansel’s attacks. Garth takes this opportunity to tackle Ansel. With a roar, Garth overwhelms his surprised opponent and falls to the ground.

“No!” Ansel cries as Garth sits on top of him.

Garth's legs clamp down on Ansel's forearm, immobilizing it. Ansel’s vulnerable face is then met with a devastating burst of heavy clenched fists, determined to finally put an end to him. In the heat of the moment, Garth lost track of time, losing himself to the intensity of his rage.

As the sound of pounding blows halted, the crackling fire in the alley finally receded. Garth finds himself in the silence, broken only by his labored gasps.

Garth looks at Ansel’s unidentifiable face, “Never insult my mother again,”

0