12. Aftermath
72 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A gentle warmth touched my vulnerable cheek. I slowly open my eyes and the bright glow of morning welcomes my startling gaze. I recuperated and tried again but this time I am triumphant. I lie awake on a comfortable bed with white sheets.

On my side is a window to our humble town. Realizing the height, I must be confined on the second floor of the town’s hospital. I could almost see the plaza from here and the ordinary people doing their day-to-day errands. It is late in the morning.

I look around and see my sister, Hearth, dozing heavenly. She looks pleasantly comfortable while sleeping on the wooden chair she sits on. I felt sorry for the bandage wrapped on her left arm, it appeared to be dressed to her chest and reaching her neck area.

Continuing my peripheral path, I noticed Garth standing behind Hearth, he was also asleep. Impressively, he supports himself with crutches. He is inhuman and that is not normal, how the hell did he pull that off?

I shake my head in disbelief. I tried to sit up on the bed but a sudden headache and muscle cramps on my limbs made me flinch. I let out a soft cry.

Thankfully, it wasn’t loud enough. I lean myself backward and continue my relaxing watch outside the window. I smirk at the fact that my two siblings here sleep comfortably in odd positions like yesterday didn’t just happen.

Yesterday?

Yesterday was our parent’s funeral and later at the reception, we were kidnapped. I witnessed deaths. Blood. Terror. Magic rituals and a resurrection. All the information came rushing to me. I can feel the precipitation of cold sweat on my skin. I struggle to breathe and I shake in horror. Did he say his name was Titus?

The door opened, it creaked and the knob was loud at its turn. It woke Hearth and Garth as Barth walked inside. But they didn’t have the moment to greet each other because their surprised expressions were greeted by my panicking, sweaty state.

“Arys, what’s wrong?” Hearth pounced on the bed and embraced me thoughtfully.

Garth puts his hand on my shoulder, his firm hold assures me of his strength. Even without a word, the stern look on his face protected me.

“Arys, shall I call for a healer?” Barth approached me worriedly.

After finding myself, I steeled my resolve, “No need,” I said, “Weren’t you hurt?”

Barth smiles lightly, “Beaten but nothing to worry about,” he frowns as he looks at Garth.

I turn to our oldest, “Brother?”

“Burns and bruises. My legs sustained fractures but nothing permanent,” his deep, coarse voice echoed, “However, Hearth seems to–”

“I am fine,” she grabs my hands, “Arys, how about you? We are very sorry for what happened. We failed to protect you.”

My two brothers frowned once more, staring on the ground. They feel immense guilt and disappointment.

“Don’t worry about me, I wasn’t badly hurt.” I caress my arms, “Except for some light bruising,” I look over to Hearth’s injuries, “Unlike you, sis. You were struck by that attack,”

“I made a barrier before it could hit me, it didn’t puncture me completely.” She puts her hand on her bandage, “Arys, I need you to tell us something,”

“What is it?”

Hearth and Garth nodded at Barth. He clears his throat and rests his elbows on the bed, “Arys, do you remember what happened last night?”

“Yes,” I scratched the skin behind my ear, “I do. From the gas, the cellar, the mercenaries, and Ansel’s band of robed men. What of it?”

Hearth calmly levels down our hands before releasing, “Well, the townguard’s been investigating and they might ask you later, so–”

Garth interjects, “Do you remember a skinless figure?”

Taken aback, I paused. Mouth agape. My eyes widened. Images flashed before my eyes of Titus. I hesitated to speak.

“Garth!” Hearth quickly stood, she clicked her tongue in disappointment.

“I see,” Garth closed his eyes and motioned his head down sincerely, “I’m sorry,”

“No, no,” I awkwardly pat him on the shoulder, I put on a tough smile, “I do remember. Yeah.”

Barth leans closer, “Do you happen to know anything?”

“Brothers, I feel like we shouldn’t stress Arys. It’s only been two days, we should let him rest!” Hearth scolded them angrily while pointing her finger at me.

“Wait, two days?” Confusion grows within me.

Barth slaps his face with his palms, “I forgot to lay it down slowly to him,” he nodded, “My bad,”

Everything became blurry. I passed out.

“Great.”

Even when muffled, I could hear Barth’s remark. Nonetheless, I sailed in the tranquility of the void.

Here, I could blissfully sail away from the troubles that await me in the world of the awake. How I wish to stay here forever but the last time I did, I woke up in a body of an infant. I could hear them waking me up already. I just want five more minutes in here.

Snap. Sound of fingers snapping near my face. The rapid and repeated snapping of someone’s fingers in front of me compels me to open my eyes. 

“Good, you’re awake.” a voice said.

I mumbled, “What happened?”

“You passed out,”

I widened my eyes in shock, “For how long?!”

“Two days.”

“What! I wasted a week?!” I shouted before I could feel myself weak again.

“Barth, quit it or else!” Hearth’s voice sounded strict as ever, she held the back of my head, preventing me from feeling the pillow’s softness, “Arys, Arys!”

I sat up and blinked several times, “I’m sorry. But seriously, was I out that long?”

“No, it’s just been five minutes.” Garth answered, “Barth brought in the town captain, he is investigating what happened to us last night. He’s got some questions for us.”

“Hello, Arys.” the townguard’s captain said calmly, pacing slowly in front of us.

“H-Hello,” I replied, massaging my temple.

“We won’t take long. We’ve already asked witnesses, guests, and servants at your estate for testimonies. We also have Lord Jaxson and her daughter Amelia’s statement of the event. Early conclusions we have is that Ansel Daggerhand led an assault at your estate, kidnapped your family and several of your prominent guests, and then conducted a ritual of some sort. All we need now is your recollection of it.” the captain spoke fast as he took out his weathered journal and golden pen, “Let’s begin with the oldest, with you lord Garth.”

Garth’s eyes coldly recall, “I was with Lord Jaxson, arranging my brother Arys and his daughter Amelia’s betrothal.”

Oh wow, I forgot about that. I try to hide a blush.

“Everybody passed out, some sort of gas was deployed through the openings of our windows. I held Lord Jaxson before he fell, fended off some intruders, and tried to retreat but in the end, they captured me.” Garth continues, and the captain notes it in his journal.

Did he manage to do all those before passing out?

“Go on,” the captain looks up.

“I woke up in a prison cell and fought my way out. Found my brothers in the wine cellar after I noticed several guards were at the doorway where the basement was.”

“Is that right?” the captain looks over to us.

Barth shrugs, “That’s about it. We find ourselves in the cellar, Garth rescued us, and he easily took care of some mercenaries and their loser leader.”

The captain unfolds a piece of paper from the journal, “Was this the mercenary captain?” he showed us a wanted poster of the person we were referring to. 

His name was Alan the Dishonest, a very dangerous individual who led a dangerous band of mercenaries called the Dishonest Few. They specialized in using alchemy as a means to kidnap their targets. They are sought after in the whole kingdom.

“Quite a name,” I smirk at my quip.

“Indeed,” the captain folds the wanted poster, “Using a similar strategy, he once used alchemy at a soiree hosted by a noble in the city to kidnap everyone, and asked the families for ransoms. Citywatch was against it, but in the end, they were paid.” he puts the folded paper inside the journal.

“Instant wealth,” Barth looks at me with a grin, I know what he means by that. Hearth narrows her eyes at us.

“Yes,” the captain nodded, “Instant, like how he instantly butchered the poor souls they promised to release. Since then he has been on the run, we didn’t expect that they’d be hiding here, hiding under the Daggerhand’s protection.”

We didn’t say anything. Barth and I look at each other. Garth listens calmly while Hearth has her concerned look.

“That’s why we at the townguard couldn’t believe how you easily defeated them, lord Garth,” the captain stares at Garth’s cold eyes, “The township is glad to have you at our side,”

“And what side is that, captain?” Hearth curiously chimes in.

“The good side.” the captain smiles at his reply.

Garth slowly rubs his hand while looking at it fondly, crutches still supporting him, “Well, what else is there to say,” he smiles as he shoots a warm gaze at the captain, “I’m a mama’s boy.” 

Barth and I snorted at his attempt at humor.

3