14. Everkind
111 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It doesn’t matter,” 

Garth steps closer, his posture straight, “Whatever reasons they have, they’ll meet their fate in our hands, and if not, then to whoever strikes justice upon them. They won’t lay a finger on my family, everyone, on this town.”

The captain relaxed his hands, he looked up at Garth to listen.

“It matters not why they chose to do it now,” Garth continues, “It matters not why they choose to do darkness here. Whenever, wherever, they will face what’s coming to them. They will not step on this town, our town, on our lands no matter what, no matter when.”

Barth proudly listens and Hearth puts her hand on Garth’s shoulder. A sense of righteousness surged within me. This feels good.

After shooting every one of us in the room a stoic glance, Garth concludes his speech, “What matters is how we respond to it, how we prepare our men for the inevitable. What matters is how we comfort our loved ones, and how we support our own in dire moments. Our action will be our only answer, our retribution is what we will deliver.”

I smile at the mighty sight of Garth, his whole person gives me such a protective feeling.

“I will make sure of it.” Garth’s empowered voice finished remarkably.

The captain smiles while looking down at his journal. It seems he has recorded everything and got whatever he needs to write. He stood up and put his journal inside his clothing. 

The captain looked at us warmly, “Thank you, lord Garth.” he said before clearing his throat, “At such a young age, your words truly lifted me with hope.”

Garth acknowledged the compliment, “You’re welcome, captain.”

“Aside from my inquiry there is also a reason for my visit,” the captain pulls out another book from where he hid his journal, “I am here to deliver a gift from the Congress. I believe congratulations are in order,” 

The captain shows us the cover of the book, which is titled ‘The Nobile Instructions’. Barth immediately jumped in delight.

“C-captain is that–” Barth leaps toward the captain and reaches for the book like a child, “Oh!”

The captain laughs joyfully and gives Barth the book. Hearth chuckles at the excited sight of Barth dancing with glee as he parades around the room with the book raised. Garth smiles before approaching the captain to shake each other’s hands.

“Thank you, captain.” Garth gives the captain a firm shake, “This was our parents’ aspiration for us, they have been submitting applications to the Congress ever since.”

“No need to thank me, lord Garth. I am just doing my duties. The whole town did endorse your family. After all, Imelda and Howie cared for all of us.” The captain reciprocates the firmness. “And even though the Congress rushed its process, they intend to give you the Barony even before your parents’ passing. It was accelerated because of the events that night and to compensate for their lax effort of handling the Daggerhand situation.”

“I see,” Garth said as he released his hand from the captain, “You can always count on our family from now on,”

“Indeed, lord Garth,” the captain nods. Behind them is Barth still frolicking obnoxiously. “A ceremony will take place in seven days, I believe it is enough time for all of us to move on from what happened. I believe it will also be your departure for the Academy?”

“Yes, now that you’ve mentioned it.” Garth glances at Hearth, “Even when I’m away, my siblings will handle matters relating to family and business. But rest assured I will be a reliable Baron and won’t neglect my duties to the town.”

Hearth smiles, “I will be in charge, captain. No need to worry.”

The captain chuckles, “I am not worried, lady Hearth. I know your studies must come first but I also know your abilities to take charge.”

Barth rolls on the floor while tightly wrapping his arms around the book, overwhelmed by happiness.

I’ve been listening and I don’t know what to say, a cocktail of events and emotions has been pouring into my system, “Captain, will you update us on your investigation?”

The captain strokes his chin, “If I must, lord Arys. If you also have any updates, any recollections, or anything that comes to mind, please do not be afraid to tell me.”

Hearth pats me on the back of my head, “You don’t have to worry, Arys.”

“I know…” I said solemnly, “And, yes, captain. I will report to you if I remember anything,”

“Thank you,” the captain smiles, “But you should stop worrying about it for now,” he puts his hands behind his back, “You should worry about what to name the town as it will affect the name of your house as well,”

“House?” I asked, “Do they typically give houses names?”

“I think you are confused, lord Arys,” the captain scratches the side of his ear, “Household. I meant your family name,”

Hearth giggles and presses on my cheek, “Oh, Arys. The captain means we have to decide the name of the town and the name that our family will be known as,”

“Huh? W-why?” I grew confused, I believe royal and noble houses are not made like that.

“Arys, I know you know this,” Hearth continues to poke my cheek, “Aren’t you fond of history?”

“I must’ve missed something…” I gave a sheepish excuse. Because I was searching for my father, I only read about historical figures available at our library, which is not many. Barth hoards all the important books, he must’ve known.

“You can read everything in the book, lord Arys, it is a manual for every new Baron. It is made for those who bought nobility, those who are not born and accustomed to the traditions. Some would say it is a guide on how to act like a proper highborn, hence the title.” the captain smirks, he must’ve found it funny.

“Well, it was made by Barons born into nobility for new and upstart Barons that bought the title after the law of buying titles was made. They must’ve thought that even a peasant should learn from somewhere!” Barth paused from his gleeful celebration.

“Indeed, that’s why naming your own noble house is akin to naming your town. I believe it goes hand in hand.” the captain nods in agreement.

“Oh!” Barth hops in front of the captain, “According to this book, typically a Baron will be addressed by the name of the town they came from,” he posed extravagantly, “Baron Garth of Strongtown! Lord Barth Strongwind!” Barth laughs.

I cringed at the lack of self-awareness of it, “S-Strongwind… really?”

Hearth and the captain cackle in my comment. Barth retorts by wrestling me on the bed. He drops the book beside me. Usually, Hearth would reprimand us but she only continues to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, the last few days must’ve been rough for her.

Garth picks up the book and smiles as he reads the title, he was with our parents the longest after all. His eyes witnessed it all when mysterious blessings suddenly came rushing. I could’ve been wrong, but I thought I saw a tear breached his eyes. I didn’t dare to comment on it as I let Barth smack me in the face.

Finally, Hearth intervenes, “You two, don’t get rough!”

“Everkind,” Garth’s voice rebounded at the acoustics of the room.

The roughhousing ceases. All of us paused at Garth’s seemingly sudden declaration. The captain forms a genuine smile after hearing it. Hearth covers her mouth with her hands to hide her reaction.

I did not hear it clearly, I want to be sure, I want to hear it again. Barth jumps off of my bed. His mouth agape, he approached Garth and then wrapped his arms around our oldest brother. I can almost certainly hear him weep softly.

For the life of me, I couldn’t comprehend. But, I could’ve sworn I heard the word before. I am just not quite so sure where and when. I adjust my position on the bed, I lean forward with curiosity on my face.

“Father would tell stories of stormy nights and ill-willed days, and the household of Imelda never hesitated to share her poor husband’s harvests to those in need even to father’s protests,” Garth focuses his attention at the window, the afternoon bustle is starting.

I lean in closer, interested in the story he tells.

“Imelda, our mother, kept doing small charities to the village and even when blessed with fortune, the household of Imelda continued to share. In her old age and weathered body, she never forgot to dine with her poorest neighbors.” Garth breathes in, it is a tender story.

I smiled, now I remember. I wish people also knew how she adopted four children, too.

“And since then, her generosity was known, and the people called her by a different name,” Garth smiles, “Everkind.”.

 

Hello everyone! It's me, the author. AAIAWWHFWALH is approaching two weeks of existence! Hooray!

With that, I would like to know some feedback from my readers because, at this point, I promise you, that the story will be more action-packed but still with a hint of a chill, slow-burn kind of vibe to it (I think). What's on your mind? Leave a comment! Or not.

Thanks and enjoy!

1