22. The Ceremony
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is a good day for the ceremony to take place. The golden glow of the late morning sun and the warm breeze of the wind share the anticipation of the town. The plaza is adorned with festive decorations and banners commemorating our family’s noble ascension. 

The bustle of the plaza is not only populated by the town’s citizens but also by visitors from neighboring towns. Entertainers and others alike do their hustle to an audience, vendors showcase their goods whether it be crafts or food, and the town’s local band strikes a lively tune as they parade around the plaza, adding up to the excitement of today.

The townguard patrol and do their duty but also take their moment to join in the fun. Even the captain who visited us at the hospital is having fun with his family. Truly, the town’s plaza has transformed into a place of excitement and joy.

“Barth, let’s go get some sweet bread!” I tap on Barth’s shoulder, thrilled to delight myself with pastries that are reminiscent of a donut.

“Sweetbread?!” he turns around, devouring a turkey leg, “Let’s go!”

I point at the row of stalls that sell homemade bread, “Hearth said it’s over there!” we started running toward the vendor.

As we arrive at the stalls, the aroma of fresh baked goods wafts through the air, “Mister, four of those please!” I said while pointing at the rather chubby baker-looking vendor’s product.

“What do you call them?” Barth curiously asked while munching, he pockets the turkey leg, quite unhygienically.

The vendor’s belly bounces as he laughs in glee, “I call it doughnuts! I fry these with peanut oil!” he hands us the food.

“Whoa!” Barth immediately takes a bite of both.

“Donuts!” I happily hold up mine, impressed by its perfection. Its glazed exterior burst as I bit into it, the delectable honey-flavored sweetness reminds me of the ones from my old life.

Satisfied and already consumed his two donuts, Barth cheers, “Delicious!” he shouted, “Another one, please!”

“Not until you pay what you ate, lord Barth…” the baker awkwardly dared my young noble brother. He raised five fingers, indicating five coppers.

Barth did not find offense, his privileged childish mind isn’t wired to be an arrogant highborn. But, after searching in his pockets, he could only offer the leftovers of his turkey leg. It seems his pockets are also not highborn.

“Arys!” he cried, “Please…” he lowered his head while holding out his hand in front of me.

I finished my donuts before I smirked, I reached for a small purse in my pocket and gave the baker ten copper coins.

“Thank you, young lords,” said the baker as he quickly turned to another customer.

We walked away from the stall and began to explore the others in the row. The smell of appetizing food still lingers. 

“I can’t believe Hearth made you in charge of the money!” Barth complains while looking around.

I point at a stall that sells skewered somethings, “Well, she trusts me more when it comes to spending!”

Barth follows as I head to see what’s being prepared on the skewers, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Caramelized fluffy braided bread on a stick glimmers as we get closer, “She just wants to make sure we don’t spend it on one place!”

“Are you implying I’m a glutton?” he flashed two fingers to the vendor and I did the same.

The vendor gives us four skewers, “Well, you wanted to have five turkey legs earlier!” I said as I took our orders and passed Barth’s his.

“Well they were delicious!” he said before putting everything in his mouth after removing them from the sticks.

I take a bite of mine, “I wish they also had pizza!” I paid for our food.

“What’s a pizza?” Barth’s face became confused while still chewing.

I bit my tongue, “Ah! You know, those cheesy ones…?” I pointed at a random stall and led him there.

Barth just dropped the sticks on the ground, “You know, you’ve been acting weird since your… magic lessons. I knew you shouldn’t be hanging around with the old wizard.”

“He’s not a wizard, he’s a mage. Master Adi’s weird but he’s nice.” We stopped in front of a counter that displayed a batch of bread with melted cheese oozing out of its end, “Ah, they’re not pizzas… I guess they’re cheese bread?”

“Indeed, little lord. Three coppers each!” the vendor sticks out his head.

“We’ll take six please!” Barth gestures before turning to me once again, “What’s a pizza? What else are you not telling me? Is old man Adi teaching you something weird, brother?”

I shake my head, and I hand over our payment, “No, why would you think of that?”

Barth received our order and gave me my half, “You know, you can count on me right? I’m your big brother.” he said, his voice turned worried, “I won’t fail you like… like last time.”

I smiled faintly, “Brother, I know,” I gave him one of my cheese bread, “Don’t worry.”

Barth nodded as we started walking again while stuffing ourselves with our purchase.

“Well, he said something weird,” I finished my food, my eyes looking for our next.

There’s still food in his mouth, Barth glanced at me, “Like what?”

I scratched the side of my head, “He called me Andy…”

“Who’s that?”

I wanted to say what I thought about the name but suddenly, I also remembered Titus, “Uh, beats me.”

“Must be his old student or something,” he looks around, looking for a stall that might interest him.

“Is he really friends with our Dad?” I pointed at a stall that curiously had fruits displayed in front of their counter.

“Yes,” Barth and I waded through the crowd until we arrived at the fruit stand, “Look, fruit drinks with ice!”

The vendor from the other side of the counter was using magic to make crushed ice, “Yes, little lords! Fruit juice blended with crushed ice! What can I get you?”

I lean closer, “Do you have any melons?” I turn to Barth, “What do you want, Barth?”

“I’ll also have what he’s having!” he said.

The vendor sliced up some melons and used an apparatus to squeeze the juices down into a small cylindrical wooden container. He added a bit of water, and stirred, before pouring the beverage into two separate wooden cups with crushed ice in them.

The vendor hands it to us, “Whoa!” Barth takes it and immediately drinks it straight, “Delicious!”

I paid one silver, “And expensive,” I said as I started walking while taking occasional sips. “So, what do you think?”

“It’s fruity!”

“No, not that!” I chuckled, “About Adi, about our secret? The thing…?”

Barth made one huge audible gulp, “Look, Garth told us to leave him be. Adi knew about it, so what? He wasn't spreading it. Maybe, he was a good friend of Papa.”

“Yeah, fine.” I took another sip, the cold drink was refreshing, “I guess you are right,”

“Of course, I am right! Look, I don’t want to focus on talking about people, it’s a special day!”

I nodded, “Heh, yes, you’re right,” I smiled as I finished my drink, “You don’t want to talk about people you say? Well, that’s a first!”

“You can only witness the noble ascension ceremony once!” he said as we threw our cups into a nearby waste bin, “Where to next?”

Suddenly, the trumpets played a triumphant-sounding melody, signaling the commencement of the ceremony. The anticipating crowd eagerly walked toward the stage in the center of the plaza.

There were rows of seats prepared for important guests and town officials like the mayor and the captain of the townguard. Garth will be on stage to receive the royal blessing from a representative of the royal family. Apparently, there is a ritual.

“I guess we have to go take our seats!” I said as we joined the fanfare of an excited crowd gathering around the plaza.

As we excused our way through, the town’s parade band played a loud musical number which made hearing difficult. But, our eyes still functioned so we continued our way and finally reached the entrance for the reserved rowed seating barricaded by townguard personnel. We let ourselves in but a guard who did not recognize us blocked our way and did not permit us entry.

“Sir! We are lord Garth’s siblings!” I shouted but to no avail, the music was loud and I didn’t even hear myself. I am not even sure if I said the right words.

Barth pointed at the seats in front of the stage, the guard bowed and gestured apologetically. He let us inside the barricade and he escorted us to the front as other important guests scrambled to take their seats.

I struggled to follow the escorting guard and Barth who already met up with Hearth. I am left behind as a family of some importance impeded my path. Nevertheless, I make use of my child-like agile movements to make room. But as I rushed towards my siblings, I bumped into someone. 

I stumbled, but the person I bumped into didn’t. They offered me their hand, I grabbed onto it while caressing my nose. I noticed their feminine fingers and I looked up.

I smiled ecstatically, wide-eyed, “Amelia!”

0