Chapter 10
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10

The morning sun shone brightly over the edge of the trees. Rays of sunlight pierced through the forest top and illuminated much of the pathway ahead. A fine dirt road was paved through the forest and back through town. 

 

Zayd, Milly, and Ivory were walking that path, heading north in the direction of the last known location of the gnolls. 

 

When the adventurers had awoken earlier that morning, some of the early tavern goers had spoken with them and shared a few tales. Word had been spread that the gnolls had used the area to perform multiple ambushes. They would hide in the trees and bushes and lie in wait for unsuspecting victims.

 

The gnolls were used to easy targets that couldn't fight back. However, this time things were different. They weren't dealing with average locals whose everyday life consisted of farming. They were dealing with adventurers who were equipped and trained for battle. 

 

Though the sun illuminated a good portion of the forest, there were plenty of spots where the shade darkened their view and made it nearly impossible to see. Many spots within the forest were great for hiding. 

 

"I see now why this is no place to be at night," Zayd noticed. "It's hard to see even during the day. I'd hate to see what this place looks like at night."

 

"Not to mention the spiders come out at night," Milly commented.

 

"I've done my fair share of traveling to know a thing or two," Ivory inoted. "You definitely don't want to encounter those creatures. They'll drag you back down to their underground lairs where their younglings will feast upon you."

 

Zayd stared back with a sliver of terror in his eyes. "Do they come out during the day?"

 

"No, but the day has its own share of dangers. Though gnolls aren't the usual thing you'd see roaming around in a forest." Ivory had her tome, levitating in front of her while the pages slowly flipped. "Ah, here it is. I was reading up on this last night. It says here that gnolls usually live in savanna type biomes. While they are a nomadic species and tend to travel quite a bit, it is extremely rare for them to travel this far. If they were able to adapt to this way of living then they must be fairly intelligent and skilled creatures. We should not take them lightly."

 

"When I was a child, I heard stories of gnolls living in the forests of Kortev," Milly explained. "I had always heard they were peaceful tribes though. My father claimed to have met a few in his younger days."

 

"Your father?" Zayd pried further.

 

"Well yes. My father did quite a bit of exploring in his younger days," Milly claimed. "He was a mighty Ranger whose bow was fierce!"

 

"Your father was a Ranger?" Ivory appeared both intrigued and surprised by that fact.

 

"Yes, a Tempest Ranger to be exact," Milly answered. "I hope to become a Ranger myself, someday."

 

"Achieving your second class advancement is not an easy task," Ivory said. "For your father to not only achieve that but to also attain class specialization is quite the accomplishment."

 

"I can only hope that I'd be that good some day," Milly said.

 

"You will be that good some day!" Zayd claimed. "All of us will! We'll become great adventurers and the whole world will hear of our accomplishments!"

 

"That's a bit of a stretch, Zayd," Ivory suggested. "We've barely been able to handle our own issues so far. I think we should focus on these gnolls before we set our sights any higher."

 

"Yeah I agree," Milly added. "I'm not ready to become a Ranger yet. First I need to become better at being a Scout!"

 

"I'd say you're a pretty good Scout so far," Zayd said. 

 

“What about you Ivory?” Milly asked.

 

“What about me?” Ivory questioned.

 

“Your family. What are they like?” Milly asked. 

 

“My family?” Ivory fell back into thought for a moment, pondering on her own life. “My mother and father live in Darta Bessomar. Specifically they reside within the Sanguine Fortress.”

 

Zayd and Milly turned towards her with a bit of shock and awe and let out a collective, “What?!”

 

“Don't vampires run that place?” Zayd asked. “I’ve heard as much, at least!”

 

“I seem to remember hearing that it's home to more than just vampires,” Milly suggested. “Ghouls and witches wander those halls, too. Don’t they?”

 

“It’s true,” Ivory answered. “All sorts of individuals that people would label as monstrosities or horrors do roam those halls. The Sanguine Fortress is a home to many who do not have a place in this world. Its gates welcome those who would be shunned elsewhere. To many, it is a place of terror but to those who dwell within it, it is a refuge.”

 

“Wait. You’re not some sort of vampire, are ya?” Zayd wondered.

 

Ivory curiously looked back at him and offered a sly grin in response. “No, you fool.”

 

As Zayd breathed a sigh of relief, Milly butted in. “Zayd, what about your family?”

 

“Mine?” Zayd thought for a moment before continuing. “I’m afraid there’s not much to tell.”

 

Ivory and Milly turned to each other, both sharing in their dissatisfied expressions. 

 

“Think of something,” Ivory said. “We both told you a bit about our families. Now you do the same.”

 

“Well both of my parents served the Radiant Order. My father as a soldier and my mother as a nurse,” Zayd answered.

 

“That’s all?” Ivory remained adamant. “Where are they now?”

 

“Where are they?” Zayd repeated the question, hesitating to answer. “My father…he fell in battle when I was young. He had spent most of his days serving the king in his war against the demons. My mother tried to raise me the best she could on her own but she inevitably lost her mind a few years later. She became lost in the occult arts in an attempt to find a way to resurrect him. Unfortunately it only ended in her mind being consumed. She still lives but is locked away within one of the Order’s asylums.”

 

“Zayd…” Milly placed a hand on his shoulder. “That’s so horrible…”

 

“Yeah…I’m sorry for asking,” Ivory said. “I didn’t realize…”

 

“It’s alright,” Zayd replied. “Anyhow, after that I didn’t have many options seeing as I was still a kid. Luckily I had an uncle that lived in Drayg Shor that received word about my situation. He had me come live with him. He’s also the reason why I became an adventurer!” 

 

“Your uncle was an adventurer?” Ivory wondered.

 

“He was! He’s one of the mightiest Gladiators around and he’s even achieved the Champion specialization,” Zayd explained. “Though his adventuring days are long over, he still can handle himself in a fight.”

 

“That’s impressive-”

 

Suddenly Milly dropped down and hid behind a tree. “Guys! Wait!” She whispered loudly.

 

The other two looked back at her in confusion but ultimately followed her lead.

 

“What’s wrong, Milly?” Ivory asked. 

 

“I can sense something ahead,” Milly explained. “There's several presences over there around the road.”

 

Zayd peeked his head around the corner to see nothing but trees and bushes wrapped around the edges of the road and filling the forest around them. “I don’t see anything, Milly.”

 

“That’s because they’re hiding in the trees,” Milly said. “I can’t see them either but I can sense something is there.”

 

“We need to trust her,” Ivory insisted. “Scouts excel at detecting hidden entities.”

 

“True. Not to mention she was able to detect that other Scout before we could even see him coming.” Zayd raised a hand to his chin and began to think. “Here’s what we can do. If it is an ambush then you two hang back and let me go forward. When whatever is out there launches their attack, then you two can be ready to back me up.”

 

“That sounds great and all but we don’t have the slightest idea what’s lying in wait for us,” Ivory pointed out. 

 

“Yeah, Zayd, do you really want to risk that?” Milly asked.

 

Zayd grinned and stood up. He raised his ax and threw it over his shoulder. “Absolutely!”

 

He charged forward and began sprinting towards the location.

 

Ivory’s expression turned to shock but she readied herself by jumping over to another tree to hide behind. “I’ll attack from this spot so we can confuse them!”

 

“Got it!” Milly whispered back. 

 

Zayd slowed his pace as he approached the specific spot that Milly had pointed to. The trees began to rustle and the bushes began to sway. It was strange since only the ones in that area seemed to do so. Zayd’s suspicion began to grow and Milly’s words were even more confirmed now. He was certain something remained hidden in the trees. Zayd stopped his pace completely and looked around him.

 

“Alright! I know you’re in there!” Zayd displayed his ax and raised his shield, showing his preparedness for combat. “ Come out and show yourselves!”

 

“What?!” A voice rang out from one of the trees as it began to shake violently. A small, furry creature fell from it and slid down the trunk of the tree. “Ow! Which one of you fools alerted him!”

 

Suddenly, from the bushes, another one of the creatures crawled out. They appeared like bipedal hyenas and spoke with a raspy voice. There was no doubt about it, these were gnolls and both of them wielded a dagger.

 

“It wasn’t me!” The gnoll from the bush screamed out. “I swear it, Frable!”

 

“Agh!” Frable the gnoll reached for his dagger and pointed it at Zayd. “How did you know we were hiding here?”

 

“It was far too easy.” Zayd chuckled. “You didn’t even try that hard at concealing yourselves.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Frable looked over at the other gnoll. “Ghat, I think he’s lying. I say we give him a little test. If you’re so great at it then how many more of us are there?”

 

Zayd's confident grin suddenly turned to surprise as he realized he had no way of knowing without asking Milly. He looked around and began examining the trees again but this time they remained still.

 

The gnolls began laughing at him before Frable stepped closer to Zayd. “He has no idea! Hahaha you fool. There’s hundreds of us out here and we’ll tear you apart if you don’t hand over that pretty little shield of yours.”

 

“Hundreds?!” Another voice rang out from a nearby bush. “Boss there’s only four of us out here!”

 

Frable clenched his jaws and a spark flared in his eyes as he turned to a bush behind him. He swung his dagger down with the hilt of the blade and struck something within it. “Dammit Kac! He doesn’t need to know that!”

 

Zayd chuckled. “Four of you, huh? So where’s the last one hiding?”

 

Before long another tree began to rustle and a gnoll jumped out from it, wielding yet another dagger. “Aha! I’m right here!”

 

Frable shook his head and turned towards the gnoll. “Ihz you fool…you could have surprised him!”

 

“But boss I did surprise him,” Ihz the gnoll responded. “Look he’s surprised!”

 

“Surprise him with a dagger in his back, you fool!” Frable groaned at his incompetent companions but nonetheless commanded them to surround the lone adventurer. The four gnolls took out their daggers and all held them at him. 

 

Frable looked him up and down, inspecting his equipment. “You’re pretty ill-equipped but that shield does look mighty valuable. Let us have it and you can pass, the rest of that junk you can keep. But leave the bag too.”

 

“I don’t think so,” Zayd responded. “You four aren’t nearly big enough to scare me. You’re hardly half my size.”

 

Frable angrily glared back at him. “What?! How dare you!”

 

“Here’s what’s going to happen.” Zayd stepped towards him. “You and your thugs are going to leave this place and stop bothering the fine people of Bullhill Town.”

 

“Bullhill Town?” Frable asked. “So they’re sending mercenaries after us now, are they?”

 

“Mercenaries? I’m an adventurer,” Zayd responded.

 

“Adventurer? You’ve got to be kidding me.” Frable scoffed. “First they send in those pesky negotiators with their ridiculous demands and now they’ve come to enforce it!”

 

“What are you talking about?” Zayd asked. “You’re the ones attacking innocent merchants traveling this road.”

 

“Innocent?!” Frable looked more frustrated than before. “That’s it, boys! Let’s show this trespasser who this territory belongs to!”

 

Before Zayd could offer a response, the gnolls collectively charged at him. 


Long Shot!” Milly’s voice rang out shortly before an arrow met with one of the gnolls, sending them to the ground. 

 

Zayd was forced to react quickly as the other three maintained their assault. “You want this shield so bad? Take it! Shield Toss!” 

 

The shield went flying into Frable while Ivory appeared from around the trees. “Gloom Bolts!” 

 

The remaining two gnolls were hit with the bolts and sent hurtling back. 

 

“What?! There’s two more!” Frable shouted out from the ground. “Get back up and fight! Don’t let them take what is rightfully ours!”

 

Zayd turned his head in confusion. One of the gnolls had begun charging at him again. 

 

“Ahhhh! Die you filthy intruder!” Ihz the gnoll cried out as he held his dagger in front of him. 

 

Zayd repelled the attack with his shield and countered it with an attack of his own. “Chop!” The ax met with the gnolls chest and dealt a great deal of damage to it.

 

“No, Ihz!” Frable screamed as his companion fell to the ground. After a moment the gnoll's body faded into light and disappeared completely. “You killed him!”

 

“I’ll get you for that! Ihz was my friend!” Kac the gnoll charged at him from behind. Zayd didn’t have time to react but Ivory was ready.

 

Dark Arrow!” The occult spell launched from her tome and dealt a devastating blow to the gnoll. Its body fell to the ground and dissipated into light just like the last did.

 

“No, Kac!” Frable cried out. “How could you?!”

 

“You’re all monsters!” Ghat the gnoll jumped at Zayd with his dagger ready. 

 

Long Shot!” Another one of Milly’s arrows launched towards Ghat. It stopped the gnoll in his tracks and yet again another gnoll turned to dust and light. 

 

“My friends…my dear friends…” Frable hit the ground as tears ran from his eyes. “You murderers…all of you will pay!”

 

“You attacked me!” Zayd shouted back. “What is your deal?”

 

Frable stood up from his spot and pointed his dagger at Zayd. “I swear by my fallen brothers, I will avenge them! You won’t get away with this!”

 

The gnoll turned and took off into the forest. At first Zayd had considered giving chase but was abruptly stopped by his companions.

 

“What was that all about?” Zayd wondered. 

 

“I’m not sure,” Ivory said. “They seemed to think we were the aggressors though.”

 

“The gnolls…they just turned to light. What happened to them?” Milly asked. “They just disappeared.”

 

“That’s what happens when something that possesses a soul loses its life,” Ivory explained. “Their essence is returned.”

 

“Where does it go?” Zayd questioned.

 

“Some say it returns back to the creator,” Ivory suggested. “Whatever or whoever that may be…”

 

“Those gnolls had souls…” Milly's expression turned to worry. “Did we do the right thing here?”

 

“Just because something possesses a soul doesn’t mean it isn’t evil,” Ivory suggested. “These creatures were ready to do the same to Zayd. They would’ve done the same to you. Never forget that.”

 

“Why didn’t the slimes turn to light like that?” Zayd wondered.

 

“I had wondered that myself, to be honest.” Ivory opened her tome and began flipping its pages. “So I had done a bit of reading. It appears that slimes derive directly from a being known simply as the First Slime. They aren’t in any means a natural being but one that is artificially created by an already existing entity. Therefore, no such life essence exists within slimes. They simply turn to ooze, a byproduct of the First Slime.”

 

“That’s tome is really coming in handy for us,” Milly chimed in. “I’m really glad we have that.”

 

“Indeed. We should probably check out this area for any clues,” Ivory suggested.

 

“Agreed!” Zayd said. 

 

They collectively began looking around in the vicinity for anything that might give them answers. At first glance, nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Most of the area was just forest and foliage with a single dirt road paved through it. Eventually something caught Milly’s eye in the distance and so she went to go check it out. 

 

Milly approached a spot where large branches and leaves had been stacked. She shifted them to the side to reveal what appeared to be some sort of wreckage. Piles of broken wood were stacked behind it that looked as if they were once assembled for some sort of furniture. 

 

“Come check this out!” Milly shouted out to them. “I think I found something!”

 

While Zayd and Ivory rushed over, she continued her search. She began pushing away the branches and leaves that hid the pile. She began to reveal more of the wreckage and soon the pieces began to come together. 

 

“Is that one of the caravans that went missing?” Ivory asked as she attempted to catch her breath. 

 

“It looks like it!” Milly answered. “Looks like they tried to hide it.”

 

“It must’ve been too much for them to haul back to their headquarters,” Zayd suggested. “I’m willing to bet they left it here because they didn’t want to deal with carrying it back.”

 

“Well this definitely helps confirm that the gnolls are responsible for attacking the caravans. Wreckage from one of the missing ones right next to an ambush spot is definitely not a good look for them,” Ivory said.

 

Zayd reached into his bag and retrieved the transmitter. “Should we communicate back with the guild guide?”

 

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Ivory answered.

 

“I agree!” Milly said. “Dexole will probably be intrigued to hear what we’ve found.”

 

Zayd fired up the transmitter and waited for a response. After a few moments, they could hear Dexole on the other end. “Hello, adventurers. How is it going out there?”

 

“It’s going great!” Zayd said. “We’ve made a few discoveries.”

 

“Oh is that so?” Dexole asked. “Well share what you’ve found.”

 

“Well first we were attacked by some gnolls out here and shortly after that we found what looks like one of the caravans,” Zayd explained.

 

“Ah, I see. That is most unfortunate,” Dexole said. “However, the information obtained is very useful. Have you discovered anything else in the area or learned anything interesting from the gnolls that you’ve encountered?”

 

“I don’t think so,” Zayd said.

 

“The gnolls were acting a bit strange,” Ivory butted in. “They made it sound as if we were the aggressors. They came off as very defensive.”

 

“Hmmm, that is most interesting indeed,” Dexole noted. “I am going to try and learn more about the gnoll’s history here in the region. I’m intrigued to know more about their tribes. Can you three continue your search in the area? Try to uncover more information but be careful not to delve too far into the forest. Also avoiding any more encounters may be ideal here. We want to avoid confrontation when we can.”

 

“Understood but they did attack us first,” Ivory replied. “As a matter of fact, they seemed to grow quite hostile when Zayd presented the idea that the merchants were victims in this situation.”

 

“That is most interesting,” Dexole commented. “I am going to see what I can find out. You three are doing a great job out there. Keep exploring and see what else you can find out.”

 

“We got it!” Zayd said. Soon after, the transmitter made a sound before turning off. Zayd carefully placed the transmitter back into his bag. “Alright. Where to next?”

 

"That one gnoll took off in that direction." Milly pointed further up the road. "We could chase after him."

 

"We probably should have done that to begin with," Ivory sighed. "It could have led us to their lair."

 

"It's too late for regrets now," Zayd said. "Plus we were able to locate a clue so I'd say we're doing ok."

 

They retraced their steps back towards the dirt road and followed the path north. Birds began to flock and gather in the trees where the gnolls once hid. Several deer passed by in the background, making their way to a nearby pond. 

 

Up ahead, but far off the trail, they could hear voices. Screams and shouts rang off in the distance. Whoever they were, danger followed them. 

 

The wildlife that had been grazing in the area quickly dashed off when the screams sounded off. The three adventures sprinted off into the direction of the ruckus.

 

"That doesn't sound good!" Zayd shouted. 

 

Their surroundings began to darken and the ground began to show silky surfaces spread about. 

 

"Oh no…webs…" Ivory's expression took on a look of fear as she looked around at the treetops to see them coated in spots of webs. "Why is this here?"

 

"I thought you said these spiders only come out at night!" Milly cringed at the sight of the webs. More screams rang out and this time they were much closer. 

 

Eventually they came upon the sight of three adventurers much like themselves. Only difference was they were trapped in battle with a very large and gruesome looking spider. It towered over them and a green liquid foamed from its mouth. 

 

"Get back!" One of the adventurers yelled out. She was a lady with an ax, a shield, and armor much like Zayd's. There was no doubting it, she was a Fighter. She swiped her ax at the creature as it attempted to grab onto them with its long legs.

 

Behind the lady were two other girls. One was adorned in a black cloth outfit that appeared fit for a martial combatant. This was a Duelist and they were trapped in a solid web cocoon. The other girl was adorned in white and gold colored robes and carried a white tome and a mace. She was an Acolyte and was desperately trying to free her companion from the webbed bindings. 

 

"We need to help them!" Zayd commanded as he rushed into combat. 

 

Without a moment's hesitation, a flurry of attacks was unleashed upon the large creature. 

 

The other adventurers were just as surprised as the spider was when a clash of occult magic, arrows, and swings from another ax began wearing away it. The creature howled into the forest air as it sustained heavy damage.

 

“I don’t know who the hell you people are but I sure am glad you all showed up!” The other Fighter cried out as she charged at the creature. Her ax came tumbling down upon the spider’s skull and cracked it open like an acorn. 

 

The giant spider’s head burst open and from it, spewed a green and vile ooze. Surprisingly, the creature still thrashed about, stabbing away at the ground. It was trying desperately to impale the adventurers. The two Fighters dodged the legs and swung back at them, hacking away at the limbs. Before long the spider was broken down into a pile of goo and exoskeleton. 

 

“The spider didn’t possess a soul,” Milly pointed out.

 

“I don’t suppose spiders would possess one,” Zayd replied. “Doesn’t seem like they should.”

 

The other Fighter ran over to them as her other companion had freed the third from the cocoon. “I don’t know what would’ve happened if you three hadn’t shown up! We owe you our gratitude. I’m Rosa and this is Aurelia and Emiko.” Rosa the Fighter, Aurelia the Acolyte, and Emiko the Duelist all introduced themselves to the adventurers.

 

Rosa turned towards Milly. “You mentioned something about spiders not having souls?”

 

“Yeah, I noticed it didn’t turn into light after we defeated it,” Milly pointed out.

 

“Well spiders do have souls,” Rosa told her. “This one’s soul was destroyed when it turned into what it is now.”

 

“I thought it looked different.” Ivory flipped the pages of her tome to the giant spiders. They appeared a bit smaller in size, albeit still rather large. The one they encountered was deformed and mutated and the green ooze that leaked from it was abnormal. “What happened to it?”

 

“That’s what we were sent here to find out,” Rosa explained. “Our party came here to investigate reports of mutated wildlife seen within the forest. This one was the first we’ve managed to come across.” She knelt down next to the spider’s corpse and began looking for clues. “We weren’t expecting to face up against such a powerful creature…”

 

Aurelia approached with a concerned demeanor. “They usually don’t appear during the day at all. However, this one seems to have wandered quite far from home. Their nesting grounds are much further north from here and are found deep underground.”

 

“Where did you three come from exactly?” Zayd asked. “We just made our way from Bullhill Town.”

 

“Dragon's Tail,” Rosa answered but they all stared back at her seemingly unaware of the location. “Never heard of it?”

 

They all shook their heads in response. Even Ivory appeared blissfully unaware of its existence. 

 

“Doesn’t surprise me,” Rosa said. “Most people aren’t aware of it. It’s a small town at the northern peak near the end of the mountain that separates Kortev from the Vaaldiir Valley. The people there have had multiple sightings of these mutated creatures. Each sighting is a different species so it's becoming a worrisome ordeal. If something of this sort were to ever spread to the Vaaldiir Valley then the entire world would be doomed.”

 

“What do you think it is that’s causing such a hideous mutation?” Ivory asked. 

 

“We aren’t for certain yet.” Rosa collected a vial of the ooze and tossed it towards Emiko, who began inspecting its contents. “Possibly a virus of some sort, maybe magic. It’s too early to know for sure.”

 

“What are you going to do with that?” Zayd asked Emiko who was steadily focused on the vial’s contents.

 

“We’re going to take it to a Toxicologist,” Rosa answered. “There’s a pretty decent one back in Darta Bessomar.”

 

“Do you speak of Yothki the Viper?” Ivory questioned. 

 

“You know this person?” Rosa asked in return. “We were told they resided deep within the deadlands of Darta Bessomar.”

 

“I do know them very well actually,” Ivory said. “Getting there won’t be easy if you’ve never braved the deadlands before. Both vile creatures and wicked spirits call that place their home. To survive such a place, you’ll need the protection of the Celestials. It’s a good thing you brought an Acolyte with you.”

 

“So we’ve been told,” Rosa said. “See, Aurelia? I told you that you’re our saving grace. Without you, we’re dead in the water!”

 

Aurelia blushed and turned away while Emiko concealed the vile and stared out into the forest. Emiko appeared focused and vigilant at all times, keeping an eye on their surroundings rather than the conversation. 

 

“One other thing to take note of,” Ivory commented. “Even with an Acolyte, the deadlands are a dreadful place that many do not dare venture through. However, there is a safe passage that will lead you close to the safe confines of the Sanguine Fortress where you will find Yothki.”

 

“You don’t say?” Rosa appeared quite intrigued. “Well if you don’t mind me asking, where can I find this path?”

 

Ivory reached into her bag and retrieved a small folded up parchment paper. She opened it to reveal a sketched out map. “I won’t be needing it anymore so you can have it. It will point you in the right direction of where you need to go.”

 

“Wow, thank you! I know I said it once but I need to say it again. You three really saved our hides,” Rosa expressed her gratitude. “If you three ever need anything at all, call out for us. We’ll be glad to join you for a quest if you’re ever in need of an extra party.”

 

“We plan to return through this way after our visit to the deadlands,” Aurelia added. “So at the earliest, in a few days we should be available to help.”

 

“How do we contact you?” Zayd asked. 

 

“If you’re ever in need of our assistance just give this party ID to your guild guide and they’ll send a notice to ours that someone needs our help.” Rosa pulled a slip of paper from her bag and handed it to Zayd. “You’ll have to allow us time to make it to you but once we arrive we’ll be ready to help!”

 

“Wow this is amazing! How can we share our party ID with you three?” Zayd asked. “I’m afraid I don’t even know mine.”

 

“Here.” Ivory ripped a piece of paper from her bag and jotted down their party ID. “You can get it from any local guild office. Luckily, I memorized ours before we left Bea Lardi.”

 

“Ivory is like our Aurelia,” Milly said. “We never leave home without her.”

 

Zayd chuckled while Rosa and Aurelia joined in while Ivory and Emiko maintained their reticent personalities. 

 

“Well we’re off! It was great to meet you three.” Rosa waved as they began making their way westward.

 

Zayd and the others waved back and continued their journey as well. The adventurer’s quest had been filled with excitement and discovery. Not only were they learning more about this world and the people and creatures within it, they were also meeting new people. While not all of their encounters thus far had been ideal, this one was one they would cherish in this world of malice and rancor.

0