Chapter 12
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12

 

The three adventurers had prepared their belongings for the day and made their way out of the village. Their bellies were full and their minds and bodies rested. The day was theirs to conquer.

 

They traveled the long path that was carved out onto the forest floor. Just like the day before, wildlife was active in some parts. They could see all sorts of peaceful creatures roaming about and feeding. 

 

However, not all of the forest was so bountiful with life. As they had traveled further away from town, the wildlife began to appear less and less.

 

The adventurers had traveled quite far from town and made it well past the ground they covered before. They had traveled so far that they were closer to Yule's Vineyard than they were to Bullhill Town. 

 

"We've been traveling for most of the morning now and haven't seen a single gnoll or caravan," Zayd noted. "Do you think they got to it already?"

 

"I believe it's more feasible that they just haven't left yet," Ivory responded. "There's no way the gnolls could have already cleaned up after their assault. We would have seen something by now."

 

"It's been so quiet," Milly noticed. "Other than the birds, nothing else has made much noise."

 

"That boy that was with the mayor, the one with the strange ears," Zayd began, "do you really think he made a deal with a demon?"

 

"That's a random thought," Ivory remarked. "It's quite possible. Why do you ask?"

 

"My father perished fighting those things. I find it hard to believe that someone would so willingly make deals with them."

 

"You would be amazed what individuals would go through for a chance to obtain power. Demons are powerful and magical beings. They possess knowledge of things that we simply cannot comprehend. The power they can grant you is said to be some of the most extraordinary abilities out there. Such things will always tempt the fragile minds of men."

 

"How do you know so much about demons?" Zayd asked.

 

"As I told you before, I do a lot of studying," Ivory answered. "Back home, it was required of me to study day and night. From the time I woke up, until the time I laid back in bed, I would study. My father never allowed me to rest. Sometimes if I slept too much, my father would cast a spell on me to prevent me from sleeping. Playtime and leisure were less real to me than the monsters I learned about."

 

"That sounds unpleasant," Milly noted. "I'm sorry to hear that."

 

Ivory scoffed. "Don't be. My knowledge is a tool that I can use to overcome things that most cannot. I do not regret my childhood so neither should you."

 

"Wow your father sounds like a jerk, Ivory," Zayd said aloud. "You deserve to be treated better."

 

Ivory glared back at him menacingly. However, before much of a response could be given, voices were heard up ahead.

 

They looked forward to notice a caravan parked along the road with a few individuals standing around it.

 

"Look!" Zayd pointed out. "That must be them."

 

"Well I'll be," Ivory muttered. "They're still ok."

 

"We can help them make it to Bullhill Town, now," Milly suggested. "It should be easier with us tagging along."

 

"You're right, this might work out even better than meeting them halfway," Ivory said. "We're well north past the gnoll's territory according to this hand-drawn map. If anything goes wrong, we'll be here to help."

 

The adventurers ran forward towards the caravan. As they approached, the individuals outside took notice. They were dressed in leather armor and appeared as if they were hired guards for the caravan.

 

"Ahoy there!" One of the guards shouted out. "Quite the fine day for a stroll, eh?"

 

"We're not here for a stroll, I'm afraid," Zayd mentioned. 

 

"No?" The guard replied. "Off on an adventure then?"

 

"Yep and you're our target! We've come to help escort this caravan," Zayd explained.

 

The guard turned to the other individuals and laughed. "Son, that's our job! You're more than welcome to join us but I think we're well equipped for the job."

 

"You're all aware of the gnoll presence already?" Ivory asked. "We were under the impression you didn't know about them."

 

"Gnolls? What gnolls?" The guard questioned. "There isn't much here to be worried about during the day. This forest is fairly safe until nightfall."

 

"Are none of you aware of the recent attacks in the area?" Ivory wondered. "Gnolls have been raiding the caravans traveling these roads."

 

"Ah, so they're the ones responsible. We've heard about the attacks but no one knew who was responsible for them," the guard detailed. "We had assumed there were bandits in the area."

 

"Well they're bandits alright. Just a bit furrier than you're probably used to," Zayd chimed in. 

 

"What's the hold up here?" A stranger asked as he exited the back of the caravan.

 

"No hold up, sir," the guard answered. "We were waiting on you like you asked."

 

"Well, who are these folks?" The man examined them.

 

"These here are adventurers. They say they're here to help escort us to our destination."

 

"Oh, is that so? And where exactly would our destination be?" The man turned towards the guard. "These aren't adventurers! They're bandits disguised as some so they can trick us!"

 

"What?" Zayd worryingly asked in return. "We're not bandits!"

 

"Don't be foolish," Ivory told them. "We came from Bullhill Town and we're here to help."

 

"Sir, I seriously doubt these are bandits. They're just kids," the guard replied. "I've met plenty of bandits in my day and these aren’t them, trust me."

 

"Fine, if you're not thieves then you can all help!" The man commanded. "This here is my caravan and I've got a delivery to make in town. Word has it, there's been some attacks on the road so we'll take all the help we can get."

 

"Where would you like us?" Ivory questioned. 

 

"Hmmm." The man steadily looked around before peering back into the wagon. "You three can stay back here and guard the shipment. Protect it at all costs!"

 

"I think we can handle that!" Zayd said. "It sure beats walking back."

 

"Hurry up now!" The man demanded. "I don't have all day!" He waited until they got in and settled before he closed the curtain. "Oh, and try to keep an eye on the crates back there. I keep having to check back there to make sure things haven’t fallen over. With you three here I won't have to keep stopping."

 

"We got it!" Zayd declared. 

 

Before long, the sound of two horses could be heard trotting along. The wagon started to roll and the guardsmen all walked along with it.

 

"It's dark in here," Milly observed. "We can hardly see anything. How can we keep the crates from falling over?"

 

"I suppose it would be a failed mission for us to all arrive but the shipment is still ruined," Ivory pointed out. "I'm afraid my spells utilize the darkness, not disperse it."

 

"I wonder if this will help." They could hear Zayd rummaging through his bag. After retrieving something from it, a light began to illuminate. It was the communication device given to him by Apuriel. "Hey, it works!"

 

The inside of the wagon brightened up by the dimly lit screen. Crates full of bottles and non-perishable foods were stacked waist high throughout. 

 

Ivory opened the pages of her tome and began sifting through them. Unfortunately the light couldn't illuminate the book well enough for her to read the words. Even in the dark, Ivory longed to study its pages so that she may obtain its knowledge. Up to this point, she had dedicated nearly every ounce of free time to reading. 

 

Suddenly, after peering intensely at the pages, the words began to flare up with a blue flame. They were revealed to her slowly within the darkness. "What is this?"

 

"Hm?" Zayd turned to her, he had been busy picking away at one of his scabs. 

 

"Everything ok, Ivory?" Milly asked. "And stop that Zayd, you're gonna make yourself bleed again."

 

"The words in the tome have begun to illuminate. Some sort of magic contained within it is allowing me to read it even in the dark." Ivory slowly turned the page. "It's as if the tome itself wants me to read it!" 

 

"Ow, I'm bleeding," Zayd interrupted as he pressed his hand against his leg where he had removed a scab. 

 

"Zayd!" Milly shouted as she began to search for a rag. "You picked at the biggest one, too!"

 

"I can't help it," Zayd said. "They're so itchy!"

 

"You should have had that Acolyte look at it when we came across that party," Ivory snapped before rummaging through her bag. "It's a good thing I stocked up on supplies before we left. Here. Use these, Milly."

 

Milly took a few objects from her, including bandages and a small spray nozzle. She began mending the wound by applying a healing solution that would speed up the process. Milly finished by covering the wounds in bandages, preventing further damage to them. "There, that should help."

 

"I suppose as a Fighter I've got to get used to these injuries," Zayd noted.

 

"Yeah, I think it's going to be normal for you to be all beaten up like this," Milly said.

 

"At least until you get good," Ivory chimed in. 

 

"Hey!" Zayd snapped. "What do you mean by that"

 

Ivory and Milly began to chuckle. Zayd glared back at them before shortly joining in. The three adventurers were getting along well and on their way back to Bullhill Town.

 

During their trip back, the ride had remained fairly smooth. The well paved road was made of a solid rock base with a fine layer of gravel placed on top. The ambience around them had remained fairly noisy, with the sound of birds chirping at a steady rate. 

 

The guards outside could hear everything around them. All had suddenly begun to grow quiet. The chattering trees had grown quiet from the absence of birds. They looked around to see a lack of wildlife.

 

"Why is it so quiet?" Milly wondered. "There was a lack of wildlife earlier but we could at least still hear the birds."

 

Ivory closed her tome and turned to her companion. "What is it? What do you detect?"

 

"Nothing," she said. "That's the problem. I can't sense anything. Even earlier I could still sense a few animals out in the distance…but here I feel nothing at all."

 

Ivory tilted her head in confusion, trying to understand the situation.

 

"Look out!" One of the guards shouted from outside. Within moments a whooshing sound was heard, followed by a scream. 

 

"What in the hells was that?" Another yelled out. "Jyron! Jyron! Where are you!"

 

Another woosh followed by a scream, could be heard. The adventurers listened as the guards began yelling and readying themselves. 

 

"Get into formation, men! Form the phalanx!" Another shouted. "Group together!"

 

Woosh.

 

No screams followed this time. Instead, the sound of a loud thud hit the ground.

 

"By the heavens, what are you?!" A guard shouted.

 

Then the screams followed. 

 

The other guards yelled out as they assaulted whatever creature had dared to show itself. The sound of a few dozen footsteps followed.

 

The adventurers listened on as the guards were swiftly suppressed. In mere moments, the screams of their outside allies had quickly and quietly turned to silence. Terror and fear began to take hold as they began to hear the screams from the wagon owner. He began begging and pleading for his life before a loud crack followed and then silence. 

 

Despite his fear, Zayd crawled forward in an attempt to look through the entryway. 

 

The sound of loud footsteps could be heard approaching the end of the wagon. Whatever it was, was very heavy.

 

Zayd pulled out his ax and prepared for a strike.

 

Milly readied her bow and Ivory spun up a spell. 

 

As Zayd pulled back the curtain, a large hand reached out and took hold of him. It tossed him to the ground effortlessly and ripped off the curtain covering the wagon, revealing the others inside. 

 

Zayd looked up to see the sight of a very large gnoll, three times his size and six times the size of the gnolls they fought before. He had no time to waste and neither did his companions.

 

Without much more hesitation, they launched their attack. A few dozen gnolls stood nearby and watched as the four engaged in combat. 

 

Zayd sprung up from the ground and charged at the beast while Milly fired from her bow and Ivory launched her spell.

 

Almost effortlessly, the gnoll slapped the arrow from the air and repelled Zayd's attack by grabbing his arm and tossing him. As far as Ivory's spell goes, she had shot forth a Dark Arrow but it simply dissipated into nothing as it struck the beast's back. 

 

The large gnoll turned and grinned at Ivory and Milly as it slowly approached them. 

 

"Black Orb!" Ivory launched another spell.

 

Milly joined in on the assault. "Triple Arrow!" 

 

Together their combined attack fired towards their enemy. The fierce gnoll jumped high into the air, avoiding it and landing right onto the shipment. 

 

Crates broke open, revealing its contents on the wagon floor. Milly and Ivory leapt from the caravan but before Milly could make it far, the gnoll grabbed her by the back of her leather armor and held her in the air. 

 

"Let her go!" Zayd's voice rang out as his shield came flying right into the gnolls arm. 

 

The force of his grip released as the impact sent a shockwave down the gnoll's arm, allowing Milly to fall to the ground. Multiple gnolls began to swarm and surround the area, preventing their escape. 

 

"That's them, boss!" Frable the gnoll revealed himself from the crowd. "They're the ones that attacked us!"

 

The giant gnoll hopped down from the caravan and slowly approached the three adventurers as they readied themselves for another round. The mighty gnoll grumbled as it studied them.

 

"You've got no chance now!" Frable yelled out. "Krok here is a brute and he'll tear you all to shreds!"

 

Krok the gnoll brute lifted his fist and clenched it. "You are not prepared."

 

"That's what you think!" Zayd shouted. "You guys ready?"

 

"There's too many of them for us to take on, Zayd," Ivory observed. 

 

"Fear has taken hold of you so soon?" Krok asked as he knelt down. "Hmmm."

 

"I'm not afraid of you!" Zayd yelled back.

 

"I made short work of your friends." Krok pointed towards the lifeless bodies of the guards and caravan owner. The horses were nowhere in sight and appeared to have been let loose. "What makes you think I won't do the same to you?"

 

"Zayd, he's too strong…" Milly shuddered in fear. She already had sized up the enemy by using her detect skill. This brute was far more powerful than the normal gnolls. He was weak to Dimensional and Fire and resistant to nearly all forms of physical damage. 

 

"What are you suggesting?" Zayd asked. "We just give up?"

 

"Escaping might be a better option!" Milly suggested. 

 

"Look around us! We're surrounded," Zayd announced. "I'll fight to the very end, if I must! Run if you wish…"

 

"Zayd's right," Ivory noticed. "They're everywhere…"

 

"What do we do then?" Milly asked.

 

"Isn't it obvious?" Zayd asked. "We fight…"

 

With that being said, he charged forward at the brute with his shield and ax held high. Milly notched an arrow in preparation of the attack and Ivory readied her Gloom Bolts

 

The gnoll brute stepped forward and launched his clenched fist at Zayd, pushing through his ax and shield and striking his chin. He went flying back into Milly, whose arrow had barely sunk into Krok's hardened flesh. He simply yanked it from his shoulder and tossed it to the side. 

 

Ivory stood at the ready, launching her magic at whim. One after one, her occult spells landed a hit on their target but none appeared to be very effective at all. 

 

Krok simply shrugged off the attacks and continued his assault. His fist came hurtling towards Ivory and landed a direct hit right onto her stomach. 

 

Ivory fell to the ground while clutching her stomach. She coughed and gasped for air as she struggled to breathe.

 

The gnoll brute nudged her to the side and stepped over her. His focus was now set upon Zayd, who had begun to stand back up.

 

"Are you ok, Milly?" He attempted to bring her to her feet.

 

"My leg…it hurts too much to move," she answered.

 

"Just stay right here." Zayd turned and raised his ax. 

 

Krok let out a soft chuckle. "Give up, boy."

 

"No!" Zayd shouted as he charged the beast. "Shield Bash!"

 

Before his attack could land, Krok gripped the edge of the shield and flung it from his hands like a toy. He grabbed Zayd by the collar and ragdolled him across the forest floor. 

 

"Now stay down like a good pup," Krok asserted. 

 

Zayd struggled to fight back the pain as he attempted to lift himself. He watched as Ivory and Milly laid helpless on the ground. Dozens of gnolls stood at the ready to attack upon the brute's command. In this state, the gnolls would rip them apart in mere moments. 

 

“Surely something can be done,” Zayd whispered to himself. “Certainly, it doesn’t have to end this way…” 

 

Desperate and exhausted, he looked around him but found nothing of use. In his mind, he knew there was only one thing to do. Zayd mustered what strength he had remaining and lifted himself to his feet, yet again. 

 

"Th-that's it, Zayd," Ivory whispered as she struggled with her words. "D-don't give up…"

 

"I believe in you…,” Milly whispered to him.

 

Their words filled his heart and mind with hope. Zayd charged yet again, dead set on defeating his opponent. His ax reared back with both hands and he prepared for a swing.

 

However, the gnoll was always prepared. The brute threw his clenched fist at Zayd, ready to absorb the attack from the ax. Krok knew that Zayd would not survive another hit but the brute could easily take the force of the adventurer's attack.

 

Before the attacks could land, Zayd rolled forward, through the brute's legs. He swiftly turned with his hands upon his ax and swung it with full force. 

 

"Aghh!" Krok yelled out as the ax swiped across his backside. 

 

Zayd’s eyes lit up with surprise as he watched the beast recoil. However, his excitement quickly turned to dread as reality set back in. 

 

Krok turned back around with a smile upon his face. He wildly sprung forward and grabbed Zayd by the throat and picked him up off the ground. He was too quick for Zayd to react. "Ahh that was good!" He tossed Zayd back down towards Milly.

 

"I'm sorry, guys…" Zayd struggled to even move his arms, let alone his legs. "I failed you all…"

 

"Now, now, little Fighter," Krok interrupted. "You should pat yourself on the back. You've earned more honor on this day than any of those wretched villagers."

 

"Huh?" Ivory and Milly let out a collective response as they stared back at each other.

 

"If anything, you three should be fighting for us," Krok proposed. "You three put up quite a fight unlike the guards that came with you."

 

"You murdered those people!" Zayd fumed. "Just like you killed the previous people that brought caravans through here!"

 

"When one is at war, it is necessary to cut off the supplies of the enemy," Krok remarked. "I'm sure you would do the same in my position."

 

"War? You're at war with the townsfolk?" Ivory inquired. "But why?"

 

"Yes, my people are," Krok returned. "It is…a complicated matter. One that did not develop overnight."

 

"What could they have possibly done to warrant a response such as this?" Ivory asked.

 

"Our people have a history with the townsfolk of Bullhill Town," Krok began to illustrate. "Long ago, when my ancestors left their homeland, they searched far and wide for a new place to settle. In the early days of Bullhill Town's inception, they were subject to raids from the local goblin tribes. When my people arrived in the Dayville Forest, they took it upon themselves to intervene on behalf of the humans. We gnolls fought hard against the goblins of Kortev. Many of my ancestors died but for each one of us that were slain, we took threefold of them with us. In the end, we were victorious in driving their hordes from these lands. To honor the sacrifice of my ancestors, the people of Bullhill Town recognized these lands as gnoll territory so that we may live out our days in harmony. In hopes that we may forever guard the forests from the hill goblins of Kortev."

 

"That's quite a bit to take in," Ivory acknowledged. "But I fail to see how that got you here."

 

"I don't see any villagers attacking your people!" Zayd grieved. 

 

Krok cackled in return. "The villagers don't fight the battles themselves. They poison the creatures within this forest and drive them mad. The town possesses a weapon of unbridled chaos and they have already unleashed it upon our homeland!"

 

"What do you mean a weapon?" Ivory inquired. "We've seen no sign of weapons there."

 

"Of course you haven't. You've merely just begun to understand what you've gotten mixed up in. Take a look around you," Krok commanded. "This once lush forest used to thrive with wildlife. Now it is nearly a barren wasteland. The creatures have been driven mad and feast upon one another. Those that haven't been infected have fled these lands to seek shelter elsewhere."

 

"Infected by what exactly?" Ivory asked.

 

"It is a toxin that mutates those that consume it," Krok clarified. "There is not much we know of it other than that. But we do know that the townsfolk possess this toxin."

 

"How do you know this?" Zayd probed. 

 

"We've seen it with our very eyes. The mayor sends his assistants out in the early morning hours to set these up." Krok nodded towards one of the gnolls, who brought forth a bag. The gnolls opened it and poured its contents on the ground. Multiple pieces of bread, spread with some sort of green slime, rolled from the bag. He watched as Zayd, Ivory, and Milly all looked at each other. "This poisonous filth plagues my lands and has taken too much of what we hold dear. That is why this war exists."

 

"I-I don't know where to begin," Zayd murmured. "What do we do?"

 

Ivory reached forward and took a piece of the bread and examined it. "It's just like the substance found on the spider we encountered. There's no mistaking it."

 

"The town has been poisoning the wildlife?" Zayd turned towards Krok. "So what happens to us now?"

 

Krok groaned before turning his back to them. "You fought well. I am eager to see what you adventurers choose to do with the truth that has been revealed to you."

 

"But what about the townsfolk?" Zayd questioned. "Is there some way to work this out peacefully?"

 

Krok hesitated for a moment in his step and stopped. "Are my people supposed to idly sit back and allow them to defile our homeland?" Krok continued in his walk when he was answered with silence. He motioned to the gnolls to join him and so they began grabbing the contents of the caravan and taking it with them. 

 

Zayd, Milly, and Ivory were left to themselves. Ivory began sorting through her bag to empty out her supplies onto the ground. They began bandaging themselves up but it would only serve to work on their minor wounds. The much more severe injuries, mainly those that Zayd has sustained, would have to be attended by a healer. 

 

While Milly's leg made it difficult to walk, she was still able to get around.

 

Ivory suffered physical trauma to her abdomen but was for the most part, doing well.

 

Zayd, on the other hand, had taken almost too much damage. The last bit of adrenaline had finally worn out and his body collapsed. "Ugh!"

 

"Zayd!" Milly wailed. "Stay still. Don't move!" 

 

"We're going to have a difficult time making it back to town in this condition," Ivory observed. "We could really use those horses right now."

 

Krok and the gnolls had departed and left the adventurers alone. They had no choice but to fend for themselves with the threat of infected wildlife looming around the corner. A dreadful fear began to beset upon them as the realization of how far town was began to become clear. How could two beaten up adventurers carry their broken companion through this desolate forest? They wondered and they worried but in the end they knew that only action would produce results. So they lifted their dear friend and continued their journey once again.

0