Chapter 16
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16

Zayd and the others arrived at the entrance of the settlement. Outside the gates were several individuals awaiting their arrival. Among them were Dexole, several villagers armed and ready, and another party of adventurers. 

 

Dexole greeted them with an unsettling smile while the villagers maintained an alert and stern demeanor. It was obvious that they were worried about the outcome of what was to occur. “I’m glad you three made it. Zayd, Milly, and Ivory, I’d like you all to meet the folks that just arrived to help us. This is Gohvo the Soldier, Tum the Acolyte, and Hiang the Duelist. Each of them are on par with your own skill levels and should provide all the help you’ll need for this mission.”

 

“It’s great to meet you all!” Zayd stuck out his hand and introduced himself, Milly, and Ivory. “We will certainly need all the help we can get for what’s in store for us.”

 

Gohvo reached out his own hand to greet Zayd. “Likewise. Dexole, here, tells us that you’ve got a group of gnolls heading this way.”

 

“That’s right,” Zayd responded. “Our Scout here was able to Detect quite a bit of their forces.”

 

“There’s at least a few dozen on their way,” Milly added.

 

“And they're being led by a very powerful individual,” Zayd informed them. “We’ve run into him before. He’s certainly not to be taken lightly.”

 

“Forgive me for interrupting but what is their purpose?” Ivory looked over at the villagers who were seemingly prepared for battle. 

 

Dexole sighed heavily. “I must admit I was a bit worried about the outcome of this battle. I asked some of the villagers to volunteer in helping to repel the gnoll forces. You will need all the help you can get for this.”

 

“Do they have any experience with battle?” Ivory inquired.

 

“We’re farmers and hunters, not Fighters!” One of them spoke up. “But we’ll be damned if we sit by and let them take our land and lives. We may not be able to do much but we will fight by your side.”

 

“Well we have a healer,” Gohvo commented. “And I can tank. What’s the plan?”

 

“A few dozen gnolls is a bit intimidating to say the least but what makes them truly deadly is who they are being led by,” Ivory noted. 

 

“Krok the Brute,” Zayd clarified. “He defeated all three of us just by himself the last time we met..”

 

“That’s right and that was only a day ago,” Ivory stated. “He’s ruthless and has already proven himself to be a formidable opponent. The gnolls on the other hand are fairly naive and easier to deal with. However, with Krok leading them they will be smarter and more strategic. They will not fall as easily as they have before.”

 

“I assume you have a suggestion to change that?” Dexole butted in.

 

“I do,” Ivory remarked. “I was thinking about it on our way back here. I honestly couldn’t really come up with anything that could help us. Not until I saw the villagers.”

 

“What are you suggesting?” Gohvo questioned.

 

“It won’t be easy for anyone here but if the villagers can hold off the gnolls on their own, then us six here may stand a chance at taking on Krok by himself,” Ivory answered.

 

“But Ivory…the villagers are here for support,” Dexole declared. “They cannot take on the gnolls by themselves. It will only end in their-”

 

“We’ll do it,” one of the villagers interrupted. “We didn’t volunteer just to back out now. Each of us here has loved ones inside that gate and they’re counting on us to keep them safe.”

 

Another one of them began to speak their piece. “We run now, then what stands in the way of those creatures and our families?” 

 

“If death comes for us then let it be so,” another said. “We’ll not hide away like cowards.”

 

“There you have it,” Ivory asserted. “The villagers are not the only ones here risking their lives.”

 

“Are you all sure about this?” Dexole challenged. “We still have time to plan this out more.”

 

“I don’t know,” Milly stated. “I can sense their presence. They’ll be here soon…”

 

“Then it’s settled,” Zayd announced. “We’ll separate Krok from the others and allow the villagers to draw them away. When we come face to face with the brute then we give him everything we got. No holding back!”

 

“Good luck to you all! I’ll be rooting for you all and I’ll do what I can in trying to convince more villagers to help.” Dexole pushed his glasses back towards his face as they slid down his nose a bit. “I wish there was more I could do for you all…” 

 

“Don’t worry about a thing, Dexole!” Zayd interjected. “Your job is different from ours. We need you in there trying to rally more forces to our cause!”

 

“Zayd’s correct,” Ivory added. “If it weren’t for this other party you recruited then we wouldn’t stand a chance right now. We definitely need more combatants but you aren’t built for fighting. No offense…”

 

“None taken,” Dexole responded. “I’m glad that my skill set is able to assist you all in some way. I’ll not rest in trying to sway others to help fight.”

 

“I can hear them approaching,” Milly announced. “They’re getting closer!”

 

“Good luck, you all!” Dexole repeated.

 

“C'mon! Let’s go!” Zayd charged forward while the others followed. “We need to draw this fight away from town as much as we can. What’s the plan here, Ivory?”

 

“More than likely, Krok will hang back and let his men do the dirty work. He won’t bother coming out to fight until a worthy opponent makes an appearance,” Ivory illustrated. “When they first appear, us six will hide nearby while a few of the villagers go forward and garner the attention of the gnolls. If that happens then Krok should order his men to go forward and deal with the resistance.”

 

“How can we be sure that the entirety of their forces follow after them?” Zayd asked.

 

“We can’t. That’s why only a few of them will go forward first. They’ll work together to draw the attention of the gnolls and when they give chase, the villagers will take off into the forest. If more gnolls are still left then we send a few more villagers in to draw out more. We’ll repeat that process until either no more villagers or gnolls remain in the area.”

 

“So it’s all one big gamble then?” Gohvo inquired.

 

“I’m afraid so,” Ivory answered. “It’s an unfortunate scenario we are dealt with but I am open to any and all suggestions.”

 

“No, I think it’s perfect.” Gohvo stated. “We three got into this for adventure and excitement. This right here is exactly what we asked for.”

 

“I see,” Ivory replied. “Well I hope your ambition doesn’t falter when we meet our foe.”

 

“We’ll be ready for the fight!” Gohvo declared. “We’ll follow your lead.”

 

“Everyone on board?” Ivory looked back at them. 

 

They all nodded in agreement.

 

One of the villagers spoke up. “So we aren’t exactly fighting?” 

 

“Not unless you have to,” Ivory answered. “The key is to draw them as far away from here as possible. Confuse and disorient them in some way but remember that the forest is their home.”

 

“I suppose this way we have a better chance of surviving,” a villager said.

 

“They’re coming,” Milly interrupted. “I can see them up ahead.”

 

They all turned their focus while they all hid away in bushes. Just as Milly had detected, a few dozen gnolls marched forward with Krok behind them. The brute seemed to be watching them closely, as if monitoring their every action.

 

Ivory looked over at the villagers. “Two of you go ahead and try to lead them away.”

 

“Got it!” Two of the villagers quickly lept from the bushes and ran along the trail towards the gnoll forces. When the gnolls looked upon them, the villagers began to yell out and wave their weapons in the air.

 

“Look over there!” The gnolls began to point and mutter amongst themselves. “Get them!”

 

“Stop you fools!” Krok howled out. The gnolls responded by cowering in fear and quickly returning to their formation. “Are you so foolish as to not notice an obvious ambush?” He turned to face a group of five gnolls. “You all go after them but be careful. Keep your distance and pay attention to your surroundings.”

 

“Damn, that’s less than I had hoped for but we’ll take it,” Ivory said. “You two with the bows, try to fire at them and lead them in the other direction.”

 

“Got it!” Two more quickly dashed around and began to notch their bows and released their arrows into the crowd of gnolls. One of the arrows met a mark while the other merely stuck into a wooden shield. 

 

The gnolls were alerted to their presence and began to cry out as the two villagers fired more arrows at them. Krok angrily howled out and ordered another group of five to give chase. “Go and take care of those pests!” 

 

“It’s working for now,” Ivory stated. “But there’s still too many gnolls.”

 

“There’s only three of us left,” one of the remaining villagers said. “What do you want us to do?”

 

“There’s still about a dozen or so left. That’s too many for us to face off alongside Krok.” Ivory shook her head while she calculated their next move. 

 

“We have to think of something quick,” Milly butted in. “They’ll be passing by us soon.”

 

“She’s right. They’ll be here any moment,” Hiang agreed. “We must act quickly.”

 

“I’m thinking!” Ivory snapped. “Just give me time.”

 

“I’m afraid we lack time so perhaps I may be of assistance,” Tum expressed. “You mentioned this Krok individual will not enter the fight until he faces a worthy opponent.”

 

“It’s true,” Zayd responded. “Krok is powerful and fighting is what he seems to live for. But beating up villagers isn’t going to suit him. He’ll let his henchmen do that.”

 

“In that case, why not lure him away from the gnolls?” Tum suggested. “You’re all focused on luring many targets away from one. Why not just focus on luring away the one target?”

 

The others looked at each other and nodded their heads in agreement. 

 

“How can we achieve that, though?” Ivory challenged. “There’s no guarantee that he’ll give chase to any of us.”

 

“He seeks a worthy foe, does he not?” Tum questioned. “If it’s what he wants then it’s what we’ll give him. All of us at once. This Krok individual should have two options at that point. Either send the rest of his men after us or come for us himself. Either way he’ll be by himself.” 

 

“It sounds like a good idea,” Zayd said. “Krok may go for it if he sees all of us.”

 

“It may not work,” Ivory insisted. “Krok isn’t foolish. He may have taken the bait so far but if we pop out of hiding now then he’ll just see our plan coming from a mile away. He’ll know what we’re up to!”

 

“I think we should listen to Ivory,” Gohvo remarked. “I may not know much about this Krok character but I do know a thing or two about underestimating your enemy. I’d hate for us to do that here only for us to end up sowing our own defeat. What do you think we should do, Ivory?”

 

Ivory sighed heavily and attempted to focus her thinking. She turned towards the oncoming horde and began to anxiously think of a way to separate the gnolls from Krok. 

 

Before her thoughts could delve too deep, a loud yell sounded off from behind them. Four more villagers came running from town, each armed and ready.

 

“We’re coming to help!” They yelled and cried out as they charged forward.

 

Ivory turned her gaze towards her companions as they were all surprised by what they saw. “Well this certainly helps our situation.”

 

“What do we do now?” The remaining villagers asked. “Shall we join them?”

 

“Yes!” Ivory responded. “Together with them, you all may actually stand a chance at leading the rest of them away.”

 

“So don’t split up into two groups?” Another villager asked.

 

“No, Ivory’s right,” Gohvo agreed. “Sticking together will pose a bigger threat for them. Krok will be forced to send in more of his forces after you.”

 

“Alright then we’re on it!” The villagers joined up with the approaching group and together they charged at the gnolls. 

 

Before the groups clashed, the villagers held their distance and slowly began to bait the gnolls away from their path. 

 

“What is this?” Krok muttered. “More villagers finding the courage to fight? Kill them all.”

 

“All of us, sir?” One of the gnolls asked. 

 

“Of course but take care of them quickly,” Krok commanded.

 

The gnolls charged at the villagers and they responded by retreating. The gnolls gave chase and dashed after them.

 

“Wait! What are you doing?!” Krok cried out. “Don’t chase them if they’re just going to run, you fools!”

 

Krok attempted to call his forces back but it was too late. The moment he had given his command, the gnolls were already in pursuit and their focus was dead set on their targets. Krok turned his gaze at his henchmen and began to go after them.

 

“I wouldn’t worry too much about them, Krok,” Zayd yelled out as he and the others revealed themselves. “You’ve got us to deal with.”

 

Krok turned around to show a grin upon his face. “I was wondering when you all would make an appearance.”

 

Zayd returned the grin. “We've actually been here waiting for you.”

 

“I see that,” Krok acknowledged. “Quite a brilliant strategy to draw away my men. And I see you brought more help this time.”

 

“Nice to meet ya,” Gohvo waved. “You must be Krok.”

 

Krok let out a soft laugh in response. “So you think you're ready to beat me? Do you not remember the defeat that you and your party faced not too long ago?”

 

“Oh I remember just fine. I also remember the words you said when we met. You made it seem like you guys were the victims around here,” Zayd claimed. “Looks to me like that was all a lie.”

 

“A lie? I’ve yet to lie to you, dear pup. If you remembered my words the last we spoke then you’d remember what I said. The villagers don't fight the battles themselves. They poison the creatures within this forest and drive them mad.”

 

“Oh yeah. And what of Byra?!” Zayd snapped back. “She was an innocent lady and you animals slaughtered her!”

 

“Who?” Krok squinted his eyes and raised a brow. 

 

“She was a villager who spent her days traveling the forest,” Zayd described. “She thought she was safe roaming these lands since she wasn’t involved in the quarrels. Unfortunately for her, she was wrong. You sick animals tore her apart and displayed her corpse upon a pike!”

 

“Ohhh, that one.” Krok chuckled for a moment, angering Zayd and the others even further. He retrieved a small pouch from his waist and tossed it at Zayd’s feet. “Go on, take a look for yourself.”

 

Zayd looked down and saw the partially spilled bag. A vile, black powder filled it. “What is it?”

 

“It’s one of two things that have been spread around the forest in recent times. The first we discovered was something that transforms and mutates the wildlife around us. It makes them grow more powerful but far more aggressive in the process. You and I are already aware of that formula as the villagers have been avidly spreading it throughout the region,” Krok detailed. “However, the second formula lies at your feet. This one is different from the other and just as destructive. Instead of mutating its consumer, it simply kills them.”

 

“I don’t understand…if you’re expecting me to consume this then you’ve lost it,” Zayd declared.

 

Krok chuckled yet again. “You fool, I don’t expect you to eat it. I want you to take a look around you. Look at all the missing wildlife and ask yourself where have they gone?”

 

“You said it yourself the other day. The mutated creatures have been driving them away,” Zayd answered him.

 

“Sure that has certainly had its impact on the environment but there’s more to it than that.”

 

Zayd looked down at the powder that spilled from the bag. “You’re suggesting the villagers have been poisoning the wildlife with this too?”

 

Krok nodded. “Now you’re catching on.”

 

“I’m not sure what you’re suggesting here but if you think this justifies your invasion then you’re wrong!” Zayd shouted. “I won’t allow you to harm these people.”

 

“Oh, you poor fool. You still don’t get it,” Krok said. “I didn’t come here to seek justice for those who have poisoned the wildlife with that bag.” Krok tilted his head and raised a brow. “They’ve already been dealt with.”

 

“What do you mean?!” Zayd questioned.

 

“Do you not remember Zayd?” Ivory asked him. “He’s saying the same thing the chieftain did. Krok’s saying Byra was the one spreading the poison around.”

 

“What?!” Zayd shouted. “Byra? You’re mad!”

 

“It’s true, boy,” Krok claimed. “Why do you think she spent so much time in the forest? Do you really believe she just simply enjoyed the environment? The woman was helping the mayor commit genocide on our very land. That bag, along with many others, were taken from her wagon!”

 

“I don’t believe you! Your men planted that!” Zayd yelled back.

 

“Fine! You don’t have to believe me, boy. I don’t need your approval. I’ll march right into that village and pluck the evidence from the mayor’s hands and I’ll have all the justification I need to smash their skulls against a rock!” Krok raised his fists and clenched them tight. 

 

“There’s just one problem with that.” Zayd braced his shield and readied his ax.

 

“Oh? And what’s that?” Krok asked.

 

“We’re standing in your way and we don’t plan on letting you through.”

 

With that being said, the adventurers all prepared for a showdown with Krok the gnoll. Six adventurers in total stood against a brutalizing force that seeks to destroy the village and those contained within.

0