Chapter 22
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22

 

Zayd and others rushed through the village. Wails and screams sounded off as chaos ensued. Fires had begun to break out and spread as the demonic fiends began to destroy everything around them. Flames spewed from their fiery mouths as they set flame to everything.

 

Villagers were being pulled from their homes as they had hid away from the outside disarray. Hiang, Emiko, and Aurelia had already begun to take up arms against the fiends and had currently been battling two of them. The other fiends were mercilessly attacking villagers and their homes.

 

“Come on! Let’s stop these things!” Zayd shouted out. 

 

They charged forward but as they ran by a house, one of the demonic fiends jumped out at them and began to spew fire from its mouth at them. The adventurers jumped back out of the way to avoid it but Zayd caught some of the flames and was burned a bit.

 

“Agh!” He cried out but quickly followed up with a swipe from his ax. The others quickly jumped in and soon the entire party was collectively wailing on a single demonic fiend. Rosa and Zayd chipped away at its tough flesh as Milly and Ivory kicked away at the demon’s sides. 

 

As the demon squealed loudly, it began to let off huge amounts of steam. The adventurers were forced to step back as the heat radiating from it was enough to injure them.

 

“Woah that’s hot!” Zayd commented as the demon sat up and hissed at the adventurers. “Aghh!” He launched forward at the fiend and began slicing with his ax and bashing the creature with his shield. “Fight!”

 

The others rushed forward and began to chase down the fiends that terrorized the villagers. An open clash between the seven adventurers and the seven demonic fiends broke out with both sides fighting ruthlessly.

 

Fire spewed from the mouths of the fiends, who attempted to roast the adventurers. 

 

A burst of magic and arrows rained through the air as Ivory and Milly fought hard.

 

Rosa and Zayd’s axes clashed upon demonic hide.

 

Hiang and Emiko’s blades met with flesh.

 

A battle ensued and the adventurers fought on for the sake of the villagers. While cries and screams continued on, other villagers began to watch as the adventurers fought for them. Others began to step in to help rescue villagers who were stuck in their homes. With the demonic fiends occupied with adventurers who were willing to fight, the people were able to work together to help each other.

 

Zayd battled on ruthlessly as the fiend attempted to tear away at his flesh. The creature rushed forward in an attempt to sink its lengthy teeth into Zayd’s unguarded spots. Luckily, his shield was strong and came in handy with repelling the demon’s attempts. 

 

Zayd swung his shield left and right as he bashed away at the fiend’s round head. The creature wailed out as the shield bashed its bone structure into a pulpy mess. The creature’s head began to deform and take a new shape and Zayd pounded its head into the ground. “Ahhhhh!!!” He screamed out with rage.

 

“Zayd!” Milly shouted at him.

 

He looked up to see her standing over the dead body of another demonic fiend. Several of her arrows lay driven into the creature’s skull. 

 

“I think it’s dead,” Milly told him. 

 

“I think yours is too,” Zayd said with a nod.

 

“Come on.” Milly reached out her hand. “Let’s go help the others.”

 

The two of them burst forth with great ambition and intent. Together they embraced the art of combat and engaged the enemy without hesitation. With his ax and her bow, they struck another demonic fiend that had nearly overtaken Auriel.

 

Now the numbers against the demonic fiends began to dwindle as Hiang and Emiko worked together to slice another down.

 

The remainder of the demonic fiends took notice and began to gather together in one spot. The adventurers banded together and surrounded the fiends.

 

The vile creatures began to spew fiery magma from their mouths, covering the floor around them in fire.

 

“They're creating a barrier around them so we can't get close!” Rosa announced.

 

“Let's see their barrier stop this.” Milly knelt to the ground and notched an arrow. When she let it fly, an enigmatic aura surrounded it just as it had done with every Long Shot before this. Her arrow drove deep into the belly of one of the beasts, sending it flying out of the circle.

 

“Now you're mine!” Zayd forth and chopped away at the vulnerable fiend with his ax. 

 

While Milly prepared another attack, Ivory wasted no time in unleashing her spells upon the remaining demons. “Doom Particles!

 

Dozens of small black orbs formed in the air around the creatures until the adventurers could barely see them.

 

Ivory reached her hand out and opened it wide. “Thanks for gathering all in one place for me.” She closed her hand and swiped it and watched on as the Doom Particles began launching at the creatures. Multiple projectiles shot towards them, each making a small explosion upon impact. A giant cloud of smoke formed around them as the barrage continued.

 

Eventually the smoke would settle and clear to reveal the mutilated remains of the demons. The adventurer's watched on as the demons faded but they dissolved into darkness rather than light.

 

“Did you all see that?” Milly asked.

 

“We're dealing with a much different foe here,” Ivory commented. “Demons are not simple creatures and we're lucky this is all that spawned today. Paltry Demons are one of the lowest ranking demons in existence. However, even with that being said, their power is extraordinary. Fighting one is not a task for adventurers like us.”

 

“What are you saying?” Zayd questioned. 

 

“There's really no way for us to win against Maluuthar,” Ivory insisted. “I know you all want to do the right thing but I'm afraid Dexole didn't engage the demon with the intent of him defeating it or even us rejoining him.”

 

“What do you mean, Ivory?” Zayd wondered. “We have to at least try!”

 

“Dexole isn't fighting so the demon can die!” Ivory snapped. “He's fighting so that we may live!”

 

“He means to sacrifice himself?” Rosa chimed in. “But why?”

 

“Isn’t it obvious?” Ivory answered. “He's trying to save us.”

 

“No…” Zayd turned and began walking away.

 

“Zayd! Where are you going?” Milly called out to him.

 

“Zayd we need to help the villagers!” Ivory insisted. “There are still things we can do to help. We don't have to go back to be of service to these people…”

 

“Dexole wanted to help these people but they wouldn't even allow him to save them from themselves,” Zayd responded.

 

“We can't think about that now! A demon was involved with this!” Ivory noted. “That completely changes things. These villagers were being manipulated.”

 

“Either way, I won't abandon Dexole…” Zayd continued in his stride. “You all do what you wish but I won't run from this fight…”

 

“While I get that, we still need to prioritize the villagers!” Ivory insisted. “Protecting the innocent is what we’re supposed to be doing!”

 

“Ivory’s right!” Milly announced.

 

“Don’t concern yourself with these villagers any further.” Suddenly, a figure appeared from behind them. It was Lochart. “I’ll take it from here. If Dexole can relive his old adventuring days then so can I!”

 

“Wh-what?” Ivory recoiled. “What will you do?”

 

“I’ll help the villagers so that you all may help Dexole,” Lochart responded. “That is, if you all still want to go help him. I won’t judge you for walking away from a fight like that…”

 

“There you have it,” Zayd remarked. “You all have a decision to make but mine has been made.”

 

Hiang stepped forth and quickly gazed back at the others. “I'm sorry but I must join him. My friends died fighting this war. I could never return home with honor if I walked away from it before seeing it finished.”

 

“I'll be damned if a one armed Duelist has more honor than me,” Emiko declared. “If he's dying then I'm dying with him and it shall be a glorious death…”

 

“I gotta be honest, fellas!” Rosa chimed in. “I don't feel so comfortable about the whole dying part but I'm not one to tuck tail and run from a fight!”

 

“You two will be needing me then…” Aurelia worryingly followed them.

 

“I can't let him do this alone, Ivory.” Milly looked to her. “We have to help him…”

 

Ivory shook her head and sighed. “Go on then.”

 

“We need you too, Ivory…” Milly looked at her with sad eyes. “We can't do this without you.”

 

“I'm coming too!” Ivory snapped. “Just go on ahead.”

 

Milly smiled and sprinted along to join the others.

 

Ivory turned back towards the road leading back to Bea Lardi and watched as Lochart began aiding the people. Many of the villagers had already fled into the forest and onto the path. Ivory looked to her forearm and pulled down part of her sleeve to reveal a symbol upon her arm seemingly etched in blood.

 

“Forgive me, father…” Ivory closed her eyes. “Looks like I won't be able to complete the task you gave me after all. I hope you understand why I must do this. I cannot turn my back on these people…”

 

Ivory hid her markings and left to rejoin the group.

 

Zayd and the others boldly made their approach back to the scene of the main battle. When they arrived and regrouped they saw a massive display of magic being tossed around.

 

Electric Current!” Dexole cried out as his wand sparked with magical energy. Suddenly beams of lighting shot forth and danced around Maluuthar before colliding with him.

 

The demon roared loudly as the bolts electrocuted him. His arms flailed around as steam poured off from his melting skin.

 

“C'mon guys!” Zayd shouted out. “Dexole is winning! Let's help him finish this thing off!”

 

“Stay back!” Dexole screamed out as he took notice of their arrival. “What are you doing here?! I told you all to help the villagers!”

 

“We dealt with those demon spawn already!” Zayd announced. “We came back to help you take down this beast!”

 

“You all need to leave here now!” Dexole dodged to the side as the raging demon sent one of his arms hurtling towards him. Dexole countered with his Frozen Barrage, forcing the demon to use his Demonic Seal.

 

“We came here to assist you!” Zayd proclaimed. “You're already winning. Why won't you let us join you?”

 

“Zayd, my dear boy…” Dexole pushed the frame of his glasses back to his face. “I am in no way at an advantage here and I am far from a victory…”

 

Zayd grimaced and shrugged off Dexole’s claims. “Nonsense! We're going to help you whether you like it or not. So you can either make this easy for us and work with us or you can continue to make it harder and we all die faster!”

 

Dexole wanted so desperately for them to retreat but he knew there was no time to argue. 

Maluuthar cared not for their bickering and gave Dexole no opportunities for a break. The demon thrashed out violently as he charged Dexole. 

 

The adventurers sprinted forward to help.

 

“Get him!!” Zayd cried out as they collectively launched their assault.

 

In an explosion of steel and magic and demonic energy, they all collided. Zayd and Rosa’s axes met with demonic flesh, Milly’s arrows flew into the demon’s backside. Together, Dexole and Ivory unleashed a miasma of magic upon the demon. Hiang and Emiko danced around the battlefield while they leapt in to strike the demon at its weak points while Aurelia was steadily keeping their wounds healing rapidly.

 

While Maluuthar took on a barrage of attacks from them, he was not beyond initiating his own. He held his arms towards himself while they hammered upon him.

 

“Get back!” Dexole tried to warn them but it was too late.

 

Diabolic Pulse!” Maluuthar spread out his arms and a demonic energy pulsed from his body, unleashing an aura of dark energy.

 

The adventurers were repelled back and the ones closest to the blast were surrounded with a dark aura.

 

“Ugh, what is this?” Zayd wondered. “I feel…heavy…”

 

“Yeah this hit me earlier, too!” Rosa moaned as she also had the aura. “It didn't last long but I could hardly move while it was on me…”

 

Maluuthar roared out as he turned to the vulnerable adventurers. His arms came crashing down upon them and Zayd and Rosa were both sent flying back even further. Both of them cried out in pain as they landed.

 

Aurelia rushed to console them while Maluuthar now turned his gaze towards Hiang who had caught the aura too while attempting to swipe at the demon. Maluuthar raised his arms high and prepared to strike again.

 

Frozen Barrage!” Dexole shot forth a burst of icy shards towards him. A hail fire of ice struck the demon but it only hindered his attack. However, it granted Emiko just enough time to swoop in and grab Hiang from the area of effect.

 

“By forcing him to choose between continuing his attack or using his Demonic Seal to block mine, we’ve been able to land a direct hit on him with my ice spell,” Dexole explained. “This will allow us a brief moment of opportunity to attack him while not having to worry about his Diabolic Pulse. You see, my Frozen Barrage not only damages its target but also slows down their movement, attack, and reaction speeds by fifty percent.”

 

“Fifty percent?!” Zayd questioned as his effects slowly wore off and his wounds were healing, allowing him to fully stand up. “Should we go for the strike now?!”

 

“Not yet,” Dexole answered. “The effects will wear off soon. But now we know a way of obtaining an advantage over him.”

 

“Alright, what do we do?” Zayd asked. “We're here to help!”

 

“Hiang. Emiko. Both of you are extremely agile,” Dexole noted. “You two continue what you're doing. It's wearing down his health and also breaking his focus. Milly and Ivory, you two work on pelting the demon with your ranged attacks.”

 

“Right,” Emiko replied while Hiang nodded. 

 

Milly and Ivory readied themselves.

 

“Rosa. Zayd. You two have to be our tanks in this situation. I'm afraid that means you'll be taking the full force of the attacks here,” Dexole explained. “You two need to juggle his aggression between yourselves. Channel it and use it to your strategic advantage. And use your shield! That is just as important as your ax, if not more. They are there to protect you, allow them to do that.”

 

Zayd stared down at his shield, remembering back during their encounter with Krok and how it saved him. Even before the explosion, the shield was constantly blocking attacks that could have killed Zayd. He's here today partly because of that shield and he recognized that.

 

“Aurelia! It's going to be up to you to keep everyone healthy,” Dexole commented. “Without you, we're all dead. It's as simple as that…”

 

“Understood!” Aurelia said. “I'll do my best!”

 

Maluuthar spread his arms out and closed them as hard as he could. “Echoing Chaos!” A dark aura of energy blasted outwards towards the adventurers. As soon as Maluuthar's hands clapped together, his other arms created another shockwave, followed by a third.

 

Three shockwaves fired out towards them.

 

“Here we go!” Zayd raised his shield in front of him and Rosa followed suit.

 

“Get close to me!” Dexole commanded Ivory, Milly and Aurelia. He raised his wand and the earth began to shift. “Earthen Guard!” 

 

Suddenly, formations of earth and rock sprung forth and surrounded the four of them. Zayd and Rosa blocked what they could with their shields but were forced to take the force of the attacks. Hiang and Emiko were quick in dodging to the sides, out of the way of the attacks.

 

Maluuthar’s ability was powerful but it left him open for an attack. Emiko and Hiang swiftly made their way around the backside of Maluuthar.

 

“Rosa!” Zayd garnered her attention. “We've got to keep his focus on us!”

 

“Right!” Rosa raised her shield and began to tap her ax onto it. “Taunt!”

 

A swirl of energy wrapped around Maluuthar's head and his gaze was suddenly turned towards Rosa. “You…”

 

Zayd raised his shield too. “Aggravate!”

 

Another swirl of energy wrapped around the demon but this time, drained his defenses.

 

“Alright, let's do this!” Dexole cried out. “Tornado!” 

 

Black Orb!” Ivory shouted.

 

Triple Arrow!” Milly yelled.

 

Holy Bolt!” Aurelia announced.

 

Together their attacks combined to form a mass of energy that swirled together and launched towards Maluuthar like a flow of water.

 

The powerful mass of energy collided with Maluuthar as he pursued the two Fighters. The demon roared with agony as the energy refused to dissipate. 

 

Emiko and Hiang looked at each and nodded.

 

“Well? What should we give him?” Hiang asked.

 

“I say we show him our Kyūkyoku no Kōgeki,” Emiko suggested. 

 

Hiang nodded and began to pull his blade back along with Emiko. They moved together with the same emotions at the same speed. Like a beautiful dance, they moved around elegantly in a beautiful fashion. As they moved, their blades began to glow, as did they.

 

A burst of wind shot up from the ground as the two Duelists placed their right foot behind them. They both crouched down and launched themselves with the full force of the wind behind them. Their blades stretched forth and shined brilliantly, reflecting the powerful magic that the demon was struggling to resist.

 

When Hiang and Emiko’s blades clashed with the target, another nova of energy sparked out from the three and an explosive display of magic and energy shot forth from the demon.

 

“Woah!” Rosa shouted. “That's massive!”

 

“I've never felt energy like this before!” Zayd yelled out. 

 

“Look at it…” Milly’s eyes gleamed as the magical energy crackled and exploded continuously around the demon. 

 

Hiang and Emiko leapt to the sides and got out of range, after their attacks landed. Rosa and Zayd followed them back towards Dexole and the others.

 

“It's almost beautiful,” Aurelia said.

 

Maluuthar roared with great agony as the energy attempted to consume him. 

 

Dexole stepped forth. “Stay behind me. It's not over yet!”

 

“He looks pretty finished to me,” Zayd muttered.

 

“Yeah he's roasting over there!” Rosa hollered. “I mean look at him”

 

Beams of energy shot forth from the demon as the energy grew larger. Even the area around him began to distort from the magical energy.

 

“Should we do something?” Ivory asked. “If it's not guaranteed that it'll take him out then let's add more to it.”

 

“You're right,” Dexole agreed. “Everyone get ready to perform your most powerful ranged attack! Let's add as much energy to this as possible!”

 

They prepared their weapons and began to channel their abilities. As they began, Dexole stepped forward to take the charge.

 

Maluuthar continued to howl with pain and suffering as the energy burst into a wild rage. The demon struggled to hold his arms steady as his muscle seized up. 

 

“This is it!” Dexole announced. “Use only your most powerful attacks!”

 

Each of them began to chant the words of their most powerful abilities. Energy and mana formed around them as they readied themselves.

 

“Alright! Here we go!” Dexole took another step forward and began to hurt his spell at the demon but upon closer inspection, he noticed Maluuthar's arms breaking free.

 

The demon closed his arms inward. “Demonic Seal!” 

 

Suddenly the magical energy turned into mist as a dark seal appeared in the area around him. Within mere moments, the magic that had crippled Maluuthar was dispelled.

 

“No!” Dexole shouted out. “Hurry! Everyone launch your-”

 

The adventurers all looked on in horror as Dexole stopped dead in his tracks. During the chaos after Maluuthar had used his Demonic Seal, the demon had reached out to a nearby piece of debris and launched it towards Dexole. That piece of debris was a long, broken wooden board that managed to pierce his abdomen.

 

“DEXOOOOOLE!” Zayd cried out. “No! Dexole!”

 

They all rushed forward as Dexole collapsed to his knees.

 

“Hurry Aurelia!” Zayd yelled as he embraced Dexole. “Use one of your spells! Heal him!”

 

“Alright I'll try!” Aurelia said.

 

“Stop…” Dexole struggled to breathe but he managed to form his words somehow. “Do not waste your mana. I'm afraid your abilities are not yet honed enough to heal wounds like these…”

 

“We can still try Dexole!” Zayd cried out. “Lochart! Where are you?!”

 

“No…,” Dexole responded. “Listen to me as there's not much time left. I would love to sit here and tell you all not to fight this demon and save yourselves but I know my words would just fall upon deaf ears. So I will say only one thing…if you must fight then win…”

 

Time had run out. Maluuthar had approached and his arms came swinging down. Hiang and Rosa rushed to pull Zayd away but there was no time to save Dexole. The demon’s arms came crashing down, pummeling Dexole where he sat.

 

The adventurers looked on as Maluuthar raised his arms, revealing Dexole's massacred corpse. Maluuthar offered no emotional response, the demon merely continued his pursuit in thrashing around.

 

Zayd stared blankly back at Dexole as Rosa pulled him back. Ivory and Milly unleashed their attacks upon Maluuthar in an attempt to hinder him. However, the mad demon just continued in his pursuit.

 

Hiang and Emiko sprang to action and launched a miasma of attacks upon Maluuthar’s back legs. The demon howled out as it prepared another attack.

 

Reach of Entropy!” Maluuthar bellowed. A swarm of dark energy formed in the sky above and began to swirl down into a tornado-like formation around the entire area. The ground began to quake and the air began to thicken with a black fog. 

 

“What's happening?!” Aurelia shouted out. 

 

The dark fog began to harm them as it burned their skin. They began to cry out as it stung like poison. 

 

“We need to get out of here!” Ivory declared. “Go!”

 

They tried to run to the outskirts of the fog but it was too thick to see where to go. The fog thickened even further as it continued to harm them. They wheezed and coughed as they breathed in the toxic fumes. Slowly and steadily everything began to fade and the adventurers slowly turned to a crawl until they fell unconscious.

 

Though their hearts had been filled with courage, it wasn’t enough to slay the foul beast. While the light around them began to fade, all hope went with it. The adventurers fought as long and as hard as they could but even they had limits. It would appear that theirs had finally been met.

0