Chapter 24
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24

 

“Zayd, wake up.” A tall, stern man stood at a doorway. His dark silhouette was surrounded by warm sunlight. The man stepped in closer, revealing a room contained within. He approached a bed where a young Zayd slept. “Come on, there’s not much time. You’ve got to leave soon if you want to make it to Bea Lardi at a decent time.”

 

Zayd squinted his eyes as he opened them. Rays of sunlight pierced his gaze, causing him to throw his arm up to block the light. “The day’s finally come. Hasn’t it?”

 

“Yeah, I’m afraid so,” the man replied. “It’s what you've been waiting for though, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah, I suppose it is,” Zayd answered. “I’ve been dreaming about it ever since I came to live with you, uncle.”

 

“Yeah, I remember when you first came here,” his uncle said. “You would never shut up about how you were going to conquer all the dragons around Isigya.”

 

Zayd chuckled. “Yeah I guess I was a bit too ambitious when I was younger.”

 

His uncle sat down next to him. “Ambition is ok. There’s nothing with having dreams, Zayd. You should always aspire for something.”

 

Zayd nodded as he listened to the words spoken by the man. 

 

“However, you should never let your dreams allow you to lose sight of where you came from,” his uncle said. “Never forget who you are, Zayd. You always have a home here with us, if things don’t work out.”

 

“Yeah I know that,” Zayd told him. “It’s just when my parents…” Zayd stopped for a moment and gulped as he reflected upon the memories of his past.

 

“It’s ok…I know,” his uncle nodded. “Their memories will never be forgotten.”

 

“Look, uncle…” Zayd sat up from his bed. “I know I always have a home here but I have to find my own place in this world and I can’t do it until I go and see the world for myself. I mean, you ended up becoming one of the greatest Gladiators across Isigya! Who else can claim that they’ve made it to become a Champion!”

 

“Well there are a few out there,” his uncle claimed.

 

“Yeah but there are hundreds of Gladiators and only a select handful end up specializing and you are one of them,” Zayd clarified. “I want that for myself…”

 

“You want to become a Champion?” His uncle asked.

 

“Well not a Champion but I want to become something,” Zayd replied. “I just don’t know what yet…”

 

“See,” his uncle stated. “You’re still trying to find out who you are, it seems.”

 

Zayd lowered his head. “Yeah, I guess so…”

 

His uncle nodded and chuckled. “It’s alright. I stood in your shoes once. I know you’ll find your path in life and make it out there just like I did.”

 

Zayd smiled. “Thanks, uncle. If it weren’t for you guys, I don’t know where I’d be at.”

 

“Don’t ever forget that either,” he replied. “Remember that, everywhere you go. We will await your safe return one day. When your road becomes troubled and your mind becomes weary, remember that there are those out there who care for you, those who would fight for you. Promise me that you’ll never forget that, Zayd.” 

 

“I promise…”

 

“One more thing,” his uncle looked deep into his eyes. “Never…give…up…hope.”

 

Those words rang through Zayd’s ears as he continued to choke and gag on the thick black fog. His memories spewed through his mind as his heart raced. Death felt like it was taking hold as he attempted to drown out the screams of his companions. Why was he remembering all this and why now? What meaning did these memories have and purpose did they serve? All of these questions rang through Zayd’s mind. 

 

Suddenly, he turned over, beginning to crawl up as he watched Milly laying next to him, coughing and wheezing. He slowly brought himself up to his knees as he continued to gag on the thick fog. He reached up, staring back at the horrid demon as it let out a horrible, deep laughter. Zayd lifted his eyes towards the sun and watched as the black fog blotted it out. Darkness surrounded Zayd and all hope began to fade from existence.

 

“I’m sorry everyone…I failed you all,” Zayd whispered. “I’m sorry Milly. I’m sorry Ivory. And to you Rosa and Aurelia…Emiko and Hiang. And Dexole. And even the gnolls. Everyone who was harmed by all of this. I am so sorry I wasn’t strong enough to stop them. But most of all…I’m sorry uncle. I’m sorry that I couldn’t become as strong as you…”

 

Zayd fell forward with his arms catching on the ground, barely able to continue to hold him up. As his head lowered and his strength faded, he could hear the faint sound of birds in the distance.

 

Although he could not see, he could hear them growing louder. Caws began to ring out through the air. Suddenly, a swarm of black birds began to sweep in from all directions. Their wings forced the air around them to kick up, pushing the thick fog away from the area.

 

Murder of Crows!” A voice rang out from beyond his sight. Zayd could not see but he could hear someone. 

 

The swarm of crows cleared out the thick fog while another mass of crows began to swarm the demon, surrounding him with a pillar of black chaos.

 

“Alright, Igorr! Show this demon what the power of a great bear can do!” The voice spoke out, revealing themselves from beyond the thick fog. It was a tall woman, adorned in clothes spun from leaves and foliage. As soon as she spoke, a massive grizzly bear sprang forth from the forest with a mighty and ferocious roar! The bear nearly met the demon in size but doubled it in strength as it barreled across the village floor and pummeled its paws into Maluuthar. 

 

“Who…” Zayd attempted to mutter the words but he coughed and gagged on the fog that remained in his lungs. The other adventurers began to regain their composure as the fog had cleared. 

 

Together the grizzly and crows began to assault the demon. Igorr the bear smacked the demon around like a ragdoll as its massive paws slammed into it. Maluuthar attempted to swing back but the mass of crows swarmed around its head, blocking its ability to see.

 

The demon swung its arm wildly, unable to land a hit on its target. Meanwhile, Igorr continued to tear away at the demon’s hide and flesh with its furious might.

 

The mysterious figure held a bludgeon and shield in hand and raised them high in the air. “Gaia’s Grasp!”

 

Suddenly vines began to rise from the earth and take hold of the demon’s many arms. Maluuthar thrashed about, attempting to break hold as it howled out into the air. However, for every vine it tore free from, two more sprung from its place. Eventually the creature was held in its place, unable to thrash about any further. 

 

The stranger began to walk towards Maluuthar. She flicked her hand through the air and the mass of crows flew away, revealing a mutilated version of the demon’s head. “Igorr, my dear…please finish this vile thing off. This forest has been tainted by the Underrealm’s minions for far too long. Let us cleanse this place of its stench.”

 

The mighty bear roared in the face of the demon, sounding off louder than the demon ever could. When it finished, Igorr lifted itself up on its hind legs and raised itself up high. He towered over the demon and opened his mouth wide, bearing his vicious fangs. Igorr roared as he came down upon the demon, clamping his jaws upon the head of the demon. The bear thrusted his head to the side, ripped the demon’s head clean off, along with much of its top half. Igorr tossed the demon’s remains to the side and walked back towards the stranger’s side.

 

The stranger lifted their bludgeon and their eyes turned white. “Mother Nature’s Mercy!”

 

Suddenly flowers began to bloom from the earth around the adventurer’s. A green mist began to spew from them as their pedals blossomed. The aura surrounded the adventurers and embraced them with a healing essence that mended their wounds.

 

“Arise, dear adventurers,” the stranger spoke. “Death shall not take you on this day! Arise and live to fight another day.”

 

One by one, they began to stand up.

 

Zayd stepped forward. “Who are you?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. How rude of me. Allow me to introduce myself.” The stranger took a bow. “I am Bumelia the Druid. My dear old friend Dexole sent word to me requesting my help some time ago. He informed me that the situation was most dire and I can see now that he was not exaggerating. I came as soon as I received the notice. Where is the poor lad?”

 

“Dexole…” Zayd looked around the battlefield, searching for the body of his dear friend. His eyes finally arrived at his lifeless corpse. He laid down across the road, bloodied and beaten. Zayd shook his head as tears rolled down his face and lifted his hand to point at Dexole.

 

Bumelia turned her gaze and her heart sank as she witnessed what he was pointing to. “Oh no…” She turned back and looked around at the others as they approached her. 

 

Bumelia, like Dexole, was much older than the young adventurers and was obviously much more experienced. 

 

“You poor, poor souls…you all must have been through so much…Come, come here all of you!” She reached out her arms and gestured for the adventurers to fall in as she embraced them with a warm hug. 

 

Igorr the bear wandered over and lowered his head over the slain corpse of Dexole and pushed his body with his nose, attempting to get him to stand up.

 

Poor Milly burst into tears when she saw Igorr’s attempts. The bear was not yet aware of why Dexole was not excited to see a dear old friend.

 

Bumelia called for Igorr to return to her side when she took notice of what was happening. “Oh dear.” She took a good look at each of the adventurers. “So who can tell me what happened here?”

 

Zayd shook his head as the others looked around at each other.

 

“Never mind that, now’s obviously not a good time,” Bumelia changed her mind. “Is there anyone else who needs help?”

 

“Most of the villagers fled from the area when the demon arrived,” Ivory explained. “None of us are sure where they are now.”

 

“I saw several of them fleeing towards Bea Lardi on my way here,” Bumelia said. “The others may have fled into the forest. Not necessarily the wisest choice. I also came across an individual named Lochart who was giving aid to some of them.”

 

“The forest…,” Zayd whispered. “The forest needs help…”

 

“The forest?” Bumelia turned to the trees and closed her eyes and listened to the wind. “Ahh, yes…” Bumelia smelled the air. “Much of the wildlife has already left the area…the stench of demon magic is strong within this place…”

 

“A demon worshiper has been poisoning the forest,” Ivory detailed. “The entire time he used it to spark a war between the villagers and a local gnoll community. That’s pretty much the gist of things…”

 

“Well then it seems this place has a lot of work for me,” Bumelia announced.

 

“You can fix this mess?” Zayd asked. 

 

“It will take some time,” Bumelia answered. “Quite a bit of time, actually. But, I can definitely do it! I actually know a few Shamans that would love to get some experience with this sort of thing.”

 

Sounds of horses and marching began to fill the air. At first they were faint, but soon they began to grow louder. Zayd and the others turned to see a convoy of guild associates and officers approaching with several wagons following behind.

 

“Ah! That must be the guild!” Bumelia noted. “I was wondering when they’d arrive. The villagers must have slowed them down a bit.”

 

“It’s a good thing that you came when you did,” Hiang mentioned. “Any longer against that beast and we would have been goners for sure.”

 

“Yeah I guess so!” Bumelia commented. “I’m glad you are all ok, though. I know this journey must have been rough for you all but it’s finally coming to a close. I can promise you that much.”

 

“There was another individual that escaped,” Zayd pointed out. “Someone by the name of Zilruc. A demon worshiper. He’s the one who’s responsible for all this.”

 

Bumelia sighed and nodded. “I understand. We’ll do everything we can to catch him but chances are that person is long gone. We’ll leave it to the guild’s Rangers to pursue him further. They won’t be making it far, especially if they bring a Tempest along with them.”

 

The soldiers began to approach the area, forming barricades and perimeters around the edges of town. Several individuals began to approach Bumelia and the adventurers, each of them adorned in uniforms and medals. 

 

“Greetings, Bumelia,” one of them spoke. He was an elderly individual. “It seems you already took care of the heavy lifting for us.”

 

Bumelia nodded in response. “I wish I could have arrived sooner. Perhaps, dear ol’ Dexole would have still been alive.”

 

The elderly man removed his hat and placed it by his waist while he lowered his head. “The guild has lost a productive and valuable member today. His memory will be remembered.”

 

“Is that all he was to you?” Zayd snapped. “Some sort of asset?”

 

“I did not mean any offense, son,” the man replied. “My apologies if I have offended you.”

 

“Zayd!” Milly placed a hand on his shoulder. “We’ve had a rough past couple of days.”

 

“I understand completely,” the man responded. “I am sure that emotions are high right now as you seven have been through an intense ordeal throughout this entire process. Dexole has been keeping detailed reports the whole time and we’ve been keeping track of everything. If only we had known a demon was directly involved then we would have upgraded this situation to an Advanced ranking. A situation like this is no place for adventurers like yourselves.”

 

“Speaking of that,” Bumelia noted. “We’ve got a runner on our hands. They say a demon worshiper fled into the forest. Can you send some Rangers after them?”

 

The old man turned towards one of the individuals next to him and nodded at him. 

 

“I’m on it, sir! I’ll go speak with the Rangers.” The individual departed. 

 

The seven adventurers looked around at each other. While their wounds had been healed, the pain of their battles still remained. The loss of their friends was something that could not be mended.

 

“With that being said, you seven still stood in the face of certain death and prevailed through it all even though the odds were stacked against you!” The old man announced. “Such honor and courage could never go unnoticed! What you seven did here in this village shall serve as a reminder to all of what the Adventurer’s Guild stands for. When others fled, you all stood tall and faced off against a foe worthy of even the mightiest of adventurers. For that, I commend you all and hereby formally approve each of you for your class advancement. This also comes with a rank promotion of Intermediate, allowing you all to accept quests of rank C and B.”

 

“Class advancement, huh?” Zayd turned to Milly and Ivory. “I guess we really did it then. But was it worth it?” He looked back at the destruction around them.

 

“Don’t blame yourselves for what happened here,” Bumelia told them. “This is not your doing. Evil exists amongst all corners of Isigya and spreads its reach across the entire land. If it weren’t for people like you all, then this world would be consumed by their actions. Nevertheless, you all stood steadfast in the face of evil and prevailed against it. You refused to bow to its way and instead paved a path that lit the way for a brighter future. Because of you seven, evil must seep back into the shadows and find another way to extinguish the light.”

 

“I believe Bumelia has put it quite well,” the old man said. “By the way, I don’t believe I introduced myself, yet. I am Admiral Langiir, the third highest ranking member of the Adventurer’s Guild.”

 

“That’s right!” Bumelia chimed in. “Only the Commander and the Director are above Admiral Langiir, here!”

 

“But enough about me,” Langiir stated. “This day is not about me, this day is about you seven. It’s time I let you all have time to rest. We’ve brought horses and a carriage that will personally see to your safe return back to wherever you desire. We have also provided warm meals to accompany you all along your journey. And don’t worry there are several carriages if you all need to split off in separate directions.” The admiral bowed and nodded his head towards the adventurers. “It was an honor to meet you all. I have much work to do here so I will see to it now.”

 

With his departure, Zayd and the others turned to Bumelia who began to say her goodbyes also. “I suppose I should let you all get back to wherever it is you plan to go! I have a lot of work here to do, myself. It seems this forest is going to need a lot of repairs before I can return home.”

 

“Thank you again, Bumelia,” Milly said to her. “We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you.”

 

“Don’t mention it, sweetheart,” Bumelia replied. “You all just keep training so you can get stronger! Maybe someday you can all return the favor and save me!” 

 

The adventurers smiled as Bumelia winked at them. She gave a heartfelt wave and departed from their presence. 

 

Zayd turned towards his companions and looked up at Hiang, Rosa, Emiko, and Aurelia. “Well what now?”

 

“I suppose it's time for me to head back,” Hiang noted. “I owe it to Gohvo and Tum’s families to return their bodies to them. It’s the least I can do.”

 

“What will you do after that?” Zayd asked.

 

“I’m not sure yet,” Hiang answered. “I think I need some time to think that through. According to the guild rules, I’m supposed to register as a solo adventurer unless I find another pair to create a new party with.”

 

“What about us?” Zayd asked. “Can you join us?”

 

“Unfortunately, the guild won’t allow a party to go beyond three members,” Hiang noted. “Not unless the quest calls for additional help from another party.”

 

“I’m afraid he’s right, Zayd,” Ivory commented. “Even if we want to, the guild won’t consider Hiang to be a member of our party.”

 

“So what about all the effort he’s put in with all of us?” Zayd asked. “All of that just gets flushed down the drain?”

 

“No, not quite,” Emiko chimed in. “The guild should still recognize his contribution but it will be registered under his current party. However, if he wishes to accept new quests, he will be forced to find a new party.”

 

“Or be stuck accepting solo quests,” Rosa noted.

 

“I think that’s stupid,” Zayd stated. “Why does it have to be like that?”

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Hiang smiled. “Either way I’ve still got my own goal in mind. You all have your path you’ve set out upon, now I have to find my own.”

 

“I guess this is goodbye then, huh?” Zayd asked.

 

“Yeah, it is,” Hiang reached out his arm to shake Zayd’s hand.

 

“Bring it on in here, buddy.” Zayd grabbed his arm and pulled him in for a hug. “If you ever need anything, you let us know. We’ll be there to help you.”

 

“Likewise,” Hiang said as he raised his hand to his head and waved his hand at the others. “Goodbye everyone! I hope to see you all again someday.”

 

“Goodbye, Hiang!” The others all collectively shouted.

 

“So what about you three?” Milly turned towards Rosa, Emiko, and Aurelia.

 

“Well, I suppose it's time for our class advancement,” Rosa answered. “I gotta be honest, I’m pretty excited about that!”

 

“Any idea on what you’re going to go for?” Zayd asked. “Warrior or Sentinel?”

 

“Oh it’s Sentinel all the way for me!” Rosa cheerfully declared. “There’s nothing I want more than to rock some chainmail armor and a greatshield. Sign me up, baby!”

 

Zayd, Milly, and Aurelia chuckled while Emiko and Ivory smiled. 

 

“I suppose I’ll be going Warrior then,” Zayd noted.

 

“I haven’t given much thought to mine, to be honest,” Milly announced. “Maybe I’ll go with an Archer! I do enjoy using the bow.”

 

“It’s going to be a Muse for me!” Aurelia chimed in. “Oh, how I love to heal!”

 

“I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone here that I plan on becoming a Fencer,” Emiko added. “The way of the blade is the path for me.”

 

“And what about you Ivory?” Zayd asked. “What are you going to go with?”

 

“Me?” Ivory returned. “I suppose if you must know then I’m going to become an Occultist…”

 

“Oooh, an Occultist?” Zayd raised a brow.

 

“Got a problem with that?” Ivory probed. “I hope you know that-”

 

“I think that’s a perfect choice,” Zayd interrupted her. “You go with what makes you happy, Ivory. Each of you go with what connects to you the most.”

 

“It’s been a good ride, fellas,” Rosa said.

 

“Indeed it has.” Zayd reached out his hand to shake Rosa’s.

 

“Oh, get over here!” She reached in and pulled Zayd in just as he had done to Hiang. Together the adventurers shared hugs as they said their goodbyes. Zayd, Ivory, and Milly watched as their friends departed from their presence, heading off towards their wagon.

 

“Well, I guess that’s it then,” Zayd noted. 

 

“Quit acting like we won’t be accepting more quests after this one…,” Ivory snarled. “We’ve only just begun our journey after all. If you two think that these quests were rough then neither of you are prepared for what lies ahead in C and B rank adventurers!”

 

“Oh come on!” Zayd snapped back. “You had just as much trouble during those battles as we did and you know it!”

 

“I handled myself way better than you two did!” Ivory bickered. “If it wasn’t for me then you two would have died long ago!”

 

“It was my shield that defeated Krok!” Zayd shouted.

 

“Will you two stop fighting?” Milly chimed in. “If I have to listen to this all the way back to Bea Lardi then I’m going to throw both of you out of the wagon…”

 

Zayd and Ivory turned back to Milly and glared at her. After a brief moment of staring, the three adventurers broke out into laughter. They walked along the village floor, passing along the many soldiers who walked around, steadily working on repairing the damage that had been done.

 

They looked around at many houses surrounding them and their laughter quickly turned to sadness as they were reminded of what took place here. Though they remained hopeful for the future, the impact of those who were no longer with them would always linger. Their memories would help guide them through their journey, as the lessons they taught the adventurers will echo through their minds for the rest of their days. So, with a hopeful stride, they carry onwards into the sunset, with their quest completed and a new journey awaiting for them on the horizon.

To be continued…

1