Chapter 2
64 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2 ~ Winter is Coming part 2 ~

A throat cleared behind me and Uncle Benjen tensed up, his smile dropped from his face and his eyes narrowed with mistrust "Kingslayer"

 

I slowly turned my body to face the man I was betrothed to, my shoulders were tense and my heart was beating so fast it could be mistaken for horses galloping, I took in his face, his blonde hair, his green eyes and for a moment I was transfixed, his eyes were like the undergrowth in the Wolfswood, remembering myself I curtsied "Ser Jaime" as I rose back to standing he bowed at me with a smile, he then grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles gently. 

 

"Lady Anaris, it's a pleasure to finally meet you" I watched as his face formed into a smirk and my eyes narrowed, his eyes flickered to look over my shoulder and I glanced to see my father glaring at him.

 

"Ser Jaime, I know what you're up to" I removed my hand from his and looked back to see his shock at my cold voice "do not antagonise my father," I turned my back on him and made my way out of the hall as a small man entered. 

 

"Ahh, you must be Lady Anaris Stark" he smiled genuinely at me and I smiled back "I've heard much about you from my sister" he grabbed my hand and kissed it, like his brother did, but unlike him, he didn't look behind me he simply just looked at me. 

 

"And you must be Lord Tyrion" I said with a smile as he dropped my hand and smiled cheekily at me. 

 

"The smarter and better looking brother" he said with a laugh, I grinned in return and realised that he and I would get along quite well, "were you just leaving?" He gestured to the door and I nodded. 

 

"Aye, it's a bit stuffy in here" I curtsied deeply "it is a pleasure to meet you Lord Tyrion, I hope you enjoy your night" I left without letting him say another word and as soon as I was out of the hall I took a deep cleansing breath. 

 

—————

 

"Very good Ris" Ser Rodrik said as I dodged Theon's blade and twirled out of his reach, I turned my body to face him and watched his every movement, he was always doing something to give away what he was going to do next, I saw his head twitch minutely and readied myself, he charged with a yell and I dodged to his unguarded right flank and slammed the hilt of my sword into his ribs before sweeping his legs out from under him with my blade. In seconds he was on his arse in the mud groaning in pain. 

 

"Well fought, Lady Anaris" I turned to the voice and curtsied at Cersei and Jaime who was guarding her "I dare say you're almost a match for my brother" 

 

I grinned at her "I thank you my queen but I have far to go" I dared a glance at Jaime who was staring at me with his usual smirk. 

 

"Well said" she commented making my smile get bigger, it had been a few days since the feast and everyday Cersei would seek my company out and we'd go for a little stroll around Winterfell "May I steal you?" She asked, it wasn't a question, she could do as she wanted and no one could deny her. 

 

"Of course my Queen" I said with another curtsy, "I'll just put my sword away" I smiled at her and turned to Theon who was on the ground still, rubbing his sore ribs "come on Squid" I said holding my hand out I hauled him to his feet and went to put my sword back on the rack "I'll take my leave now Ser Rodrik, until later" I nodded to him in respect and hopped over the training grounds fence, Cersei held her arm out for me to take but I hesitated "my Queen I'm filthy, I would hate to ruin your dress"

 

"Nonsense, it can be cleaned" she waved my worries away and tucked my arm into hers, we left Robb, Theon, Jon and Ser Rodrik behind but I could feel Robb's furious gaze on us. 

 

flashback ~ The morning after the feast ~

 

I moved my meat around on my plate as my siblings discussed the night before, mother sat to my left and I felt her hand touch mine causing me to glance up, it was time to tell my siblings. 

 

"I have an announcement" father said, the chatter stopped instantly and my siblings looked to him "your sister Anaris is betrothed" there was a squeal from Sansa in excitement and Arya looked like she'd swallowed ash. 

 

"Who is it? When is the wedding?" Sansa looked at me with a massive smile that made my force a smile back "oh please can I make your dress? I won't ask anything else from you"  the latter part made Robb scoff in disbelief, Sansa was always wanting something. 

 

"I will be marrying Ser Jaime Lannister" I said quietly, I watched Sansa’s face light up, she always loved the romantic tales Old Nan told, of princesses and galant knights falling in love after fighting some terrible monster "the wedding will be held before the king leaves for the Capital" I didn't mention my dress, I hadn't thought of what I was to do about that. 

 

"Father you cannot be serious" Robb said angrily, I met my brothers eyes and I could see he was seething and knowing he didn't want this made me feel better, I knew I had him in my corner. 

 

"Robb I agreed to it" I said, I reached across my plate and held his hand that was clutching his fork so hard his knuckles had turned white. 

 

*Flashback ~ present day*

 

"How goes the dress making?" Cersei asked as we had found a nice place to speak, she'd shooed Ser Jaime away telling him that he had no business in ours, that had caused him to chuckle and bow before he took his leave. 

 

"Just fine I believe" I mumbled, in truth it was harder then I had thought, Sansa was constantly on my back about my dress and whether it was appropriate for a southern wedding which caused an argument between us because I didn't given a damn about it being appropriate for the southerners, I was still in the North and I would make a dress that reflected that, “I was thinking of embroidering a Direwolf and a Lion on each sleeve to represent our houses joining" 

 

"That is an excellent idea, little wolf" she cupped one of my cheeks and smiled, "you've such a talent for things" she let her hand drop to mine and she gripped it "now, tell me why you're avoiding my brother" I met her eyes and she smirked "you practically run away whenever he's in a room" she'd noticed my not so subtle ways of trying to get away from Jaime's stares. 

 

"It's just..." I stopped and thought about my words, I didn't want to insult her, "his constant staring is becoming a pain" my words made her laugh. 

 

"Have a conversation with him, little wolf, it won't hurt to get to know your betrothed, even a little bit" 

 

—————

 

I walked to the training ring the day after my conversation with Cersei and found Ser Jaime fighting with another knight, they were both using real blades and by the looks of it they were working up quite a sweat, Jaime's golden hair was glistening with sweat and the other knight looked as if he had seen better days. 

 

I leant on the fence as Jaime took down the other knight swiftly, a squire ran forward and handed Jaime a cloth to wipe the sweat off of his face as the knight hauled himself up and threw his sword at another squire "Lady Anaris, what bring you here on this fine day?" Jaime asked as he came closer to where I was standing in my riding gear. 

 

"I just came to watch you fight, Ser Jaime" I said with a smirk, "I also came to ask you to join me on a ride" I looked up, as he was a bit taller then me and saw that he was surprised. 

 

"I would be honoured, my lady" he bowed slightly and ran his fingers through his hair "allow me to change and bathe," I nodded and turned my back to him, calling Storm to follow I went to the stables to ready my horse. 

 

————— 

 

The day of my wedding came faster then I had expected and the castle was in a rush to get things done in time for the celebration, I sat in my bedchamber with Storm at my feet watching the people run around the courtyard gathering things, a knock on my door startled me and I jumped so much that Storm growled lowly. 

 

"Enter" I commanded, the door cracked open and Jaime Lannister peaked in with a smile, "Ser Jaime, what are you doing here?" I stood up and went to curtsy when he stopped me. 

 

"We're to be married soon," I nodded and smiled at him, "I brought you a gift to wear" he pulled a necklace from seemingly nowhere and showed it to be "my father had them brought here, my mother wore it when they were married and now it's yours" he held it up and I took in the ruby and gold necklace that was dangling from his hand. 

 

"Oh Jaime, it's gorgeous" I touched one of the stones and met his green eyes, "can you help me put it on?" I turned my back to him and I heard him take a step forward and he slowly brought the necklace to my throat. 

 

"Ris" he mumbled into my ear, I leant back into his chest as I felt his lips brush the back of my neck. Jaime and I had grown closer since we'd first started talking, he'd told me about his childhood and how he became a Kingsguard while I told him about my life in the North, I found his quietness a strength as we spent time riding and even fighting together, his hands traveled down my shoulders to my arms and I shivered in delight. 

 

"Jaime" I mumbled as he turned me to face him, his hands cupped my cheeks as he brought his lips to mine and kissed me soundly, my hands ran up his tunic and I gripped onto his hair tightly making him moan. Everything became more fevered after that, his hands moved to my skirts as I dug my fingernails into his scalp making him grip me tighter, he scooped me up easily and threw me down onto my feather bed before landing on top of me, letting me feel all of him "oh gods Jaime" I gasped as his lips moved to my neck and I felt his hands go under my skirts, I shivered again and arched into his touch as his hands found my small clothes. 

 

"Lady Stark" a voice sounded from behind the door startling us both out of our heated movements, I leant my head back against my bed and took a deep breath to settle my heart rate. 

 

"Yes?" I called out, breathless as Jaime started to attack my neck with kisses and nips, I bit my lip and grabbed the back of his head tightly, unsure if I should pull him off or let him continue. 

 

"Your lady mother has requested your presence in your father's solar," the servant said through the door as I swallowed a moan that was forcing its way from my throat. 

 

"Tell her I'll be there as soon as I can" when I heard a quiet 'yes m'lady' I pulled on Jaime's hair and raised an eyebrow when he groaned and grinned at me, "you are a bad man Jaime Lannister," I giggled when he pulled my lower half into his. 

 

"Yes but I am to be your husband so that makes me yours" he said cheekily making me laugh and let his head go "and you are mine" he kissed my lips and climbed off of me before adjusting himself in his britches. 

 

"So I am" I said with a laugh, I got up off the bed and straightened my clothing, "until later, Ser Jaime" I went to leave but he caught me as I went past and pulled me back into another kiss, this one was slow and gentle. 

 

"I will see you at the alter Lady Anaris" he kissed my lips again and then left me breathless and hot, when we'd first started to talk I didn't expect us to end up like that, yes he was arrogant but when we were alone he was caring and gentle, he loved to hear me read or watch me sew my dress just as I loved to hear him talk about his battles and watch him polish his armour, I never expected to like him as much as I did. 

 

—————

 

The night came cold and quickly and I took a deep breath of the crisp air, in a matter of minutes I would no longer have the name Stark, I would be a Lannister and I would have to leave my family for the Capital, my father had yet to make the decision on whether he would be the Hand or not so if it was just me I would be sticking very close to Cersei, Jaime or even Tyrion as we'd also grown close. 

 

"You look beautiful, wolfling" father said as he kissed my head, we made our way to the Godswood and I hesitated to step into the area, my hesitation was noticed by father who stopped and pulled me into a tight embrace "all will be well Wolfling, I've accepted to be the Hand of the King, I'm going to be bringing Sansa, Arya and Bran to the capital when we leave with the King" my shoulders sagged in relief but then I remembered that mother would be here by herself with Rickon, Robb and Theon. 

 

"Does mother..?" I pulled away and looked my father in the eye and he nodded, so mother knows he agreed. 

 

"Come wolfling," he grabbed my hand and linked my arm with his and he slowly lead me into the Godswood, "I want you to promise me something, don't trust Jaime Lannister, he's a man without honour, he's broken vows before and if he does again I want you to not be surprised" he glanced at me as he spoke lowly "if he does I will have your marriage annulled" 

 

"Father I trust you" I said, we made our way to the crowd of people who were there to witness "I don't think Jaime is that man" I looked forward and met eyes with the man in question. 

 

We came to a stop in front of the Septon and Jaime, who was holding a Lannister cloak "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection" the Septon said as father handed me off to Jaime who was watching me with a smile on his face, he swept the cloak onto my shoulders "We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife: one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever" Jaime held my hand up with his fingers intertwined with mine, the Septon produced a ribbon and tied our hands together "Let it be known that Jaime Lannister of House Lannister and Anaris Stark of House Stark are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder," my heart stuttered as I glanced at Jaime who hadn't lost the smile on his face "In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words."

 

I turned to Jaime as he did the same and we spoke at the same time "Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger..." our voices melded together and I heard him say the same thing I did just in the grooms words "I am his and he is mine. From this day, until the end of my days."

 

"I am hers and she is mine. From this day, until the end of my days," Jaime said, his smile didn't change and his eyes were staring into mine, my heart began to beat faster. 

 

"With this kiss," Jaime announced to our witnesses "I pledge my love" he drew me into a kiss that was so gentle but passionate that my toes curled in my shoes, we pulled apart and applause rose from the people, I looked at Jaime for a second longer to look at my family, none of them but Sansa looked pleased but they were being polite and clapping with everyone else. 

 

—————

 

The Feast was still going strong as Jaime lead me up to my bedchamber, I'd told father I didn't want to do the bedding ceremony and he agreed with me, even though it was tradition in the North I hated it, I didn't want to be carried to my wedding bed and have men ripping my clothes off me. 

 

Jaime opened the door and lead me into the room, I stood in the centre and wrapped my arms around my body, I felt Jaime come up behind me and he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his arms, "we don't have to if you don't want to, we can talk or sleep" I looked over my shoulder at him and turned my body to face him, in a burst of confidence I leaned up on my top toes and pressed my lips to his, in seconds his hands were grasping at my waist while my hands were buried in his hair, moaning into his mouth I felt his hands travel up and start to untie my dress, he pulled away from our kiss and looked into my eyes, asking if I wanted to continue. 

 

I swallowed my worry and nodded, I felt my dress loosen and it fell away from my shoulders, and before it could completely fall I decided that it was cruel for only one of us to be in our small clothes so I began to quickly undo his tunic my eyes never leaving his as I pushed the material from his body, taking in the dips that were his muscles "I'm ready to be yours Jaime" I whispered, I pulled his lips back to mine and let my dress drop to the floor.

 

His hands roamed my sides causing my breath to hitch, our kisses became more and more frantic as we undressed one another, I felt him move me backwards until I fell onto the bed, Jaime started to kiss up my legs until he got to my inner thigh, my breath was coming out in pants as he skipped over the part of my body that was aching to be touched his kissed up my torso until he was laying over my body using his forearms to prop himself up, he searched my eyes for a moment and I nodded slightly, I wasn’t lying when I said I was ready to be his. 

 

I felt the hardest part of him enter me slowly, testing to see if I was in any pain, I gave another nod and he drove himself home into me, my breath caught in my throat and my eyes began to water as pain shot through my lower half, Jaime didn’t move he just watched me try to take calming breaths, he kissed my tears away and when he shifted his weight to kiss the other side of my face a sound was torn from my body, I looked at him panicked but Jaime just laughed and began to move slowly pulling another noise from my throat that he echoed. 

 

I clung onto his shoulders and began to gasp as I felt warmth begin to grow in my abdomen, I’d never felt that before and I was afraid of it, Jaime shifted slightly, raising himself off the bed, taking my hips with him making me moan out his name, he began to move faster, the warmth spread, my toes tingled and I was gasping out his name while he was groaning out mine. Suddenly the warmth exploded and I squeezed my eyes closed, my head thrashing from my side to the other Jaime let out another groan and slowly stopped moving his hips against mine, spent he flopped down next to me and drew my gasping body into his arms. 

 

“You alright?” He asked, his voice gravely with sleep, I moved my head to look at him and found him looking at me expectantly. 

 

“I feel like I can eat a whole roast to myself in one sitting” I replied causing him to laugh and kiss my forehead, I pulled my furs over us both and snuggled closer to his relaxed body. 

 

—————

 

I sat at my window the morning after my wedding night and watched as the people below got ready to go on a hunt in honour of my father being the Hand of the King, there was mumbling behind me and I looked over my shoulder to see Jaime, still asleep, using a hand to look for me, I stood from my seat and went to him brushing his hair with my fingers, his eyes flickered open and he grinned at me as he took in my silken robe “hmmm good morning” he said pulling me roughly into the bed, I giggled as I ended up on top of him. 

 

“Good morning to you” I kissed him gently on the lips and glanced at the window when I heard a horse whinny “are you going with the King on the hunt?” I asked, both of my arms were braced either side of his head and my long hair, that I had just brushed, fell around our faces as if to shield us from the world outside. 

 

“No, the King has given me my leave to spend the day with my beautiful wife” he said with a chuckle when I grinned and kissed him again, this time harder. 

 

After spending time to ourselves in our chambers Jaime thought that we needed fresh air, we walked through Winterfell, arms linked, discussing Kings Landing when a howl echoed through the courtyard, Storm who was by my side perked up and howled in response before taking off running towards the Broken Tower that was an old part of Winterfell, I looked at Jaime and with silent agreement we both took off after Storm finding her sniffing something at the bottom of the tower, my world froze as I realised that the thing she was sniffing had brown hair, identical to mine, I stumbled closer and cried out when I found Bran laying with his legs bent at odd angles, unconscious. 

 

“Jaime, go get Maester Luwin and my mother” I didn’t glance back to know he had gone, I touched Bran’s pale face and cried out in anguish, “my sweet brother” I mumbled, hot tears streaking down my face, I felt arms go around me as Maester Luwin, mother and Robb appeared, Jaime pulled me away from my broken brother and turned me in his arms so I could sob into his chest, there was murmurs and I could hear someone crying as I clung to Jaime. 

 

“Come Anaris, their going to move him” Jaime said into my ear, he wrapped me closer to him and lead me away from the Tower, We didn’t make it far until I fell to my knees and was scooped up by Jaime “he will live, Ris, you Starks are a stubborn bunch” he kissed my forehead and carried me to our chambers.

1