Volume 2: chapter 22: If it isn’t the boss.. then
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 [2023- November 23]  

*Three days after the incident*

*Bang!* bang!*

 The sound reverberated through the room, jolting me awake from my sleep. I instinctively hugged myself, seeking solace and security in the embrace of my own arms. My heart pounding loud against my chest like a drum.

"Haaa.." exhaling, I pulled the blanket closer, and gasped for breath, the cool morning air chilling my lungs as I tried to calm myself.

"What the hell?" I muttered, my voice trembling with a mix of confusion and frustration. Of all times, why do I have to remember it now? Is it because I learned that Takumi is around? The thought lingered in my mind, as I tried to calm myself.

...

*Bang bang! 

A sudden succession of loud noise cause me to managed myself back into reality. My hand instinctively flew to my head, feeling the dull ache pulsating within. With a groggy determination, I slid my feet to the side of the bed and as it touched the cold floor, it sends a shiver up my spine. Mustering up every ounce of strength, I pushed myself up, my feet protesting against the chill as I stood upright.

Bang bang*! The sound of banging continued, and I let out a tired sigh and rubbed my eyes, trying to clear my vision. "Who's making such an annoying noise this early?.."

Growl**

"Ugh!"My stomach grumbled, and struck me with unusual pain. I glanced at my phone to check the time. It was 6:37 in the morning.

"Matsuki, open up!" A hoarse woman's voice came after the persistent banging.

Who's that? It sounded familiar to me.. I asked as I forced myself to get up without much energy, enduring my stomach ache, I walk, starting with my right foot. I almost tripped. "Wait, I'll get there..."

*Bang! Bang!!

Sighed, that person clearly lacked patience. I was doing my best to reach the door, and the loud noises were becoming more annoying. 

When I finally reached the door and opened it, a woman rushed inside.

As I observed her movements, I couldn't help but think that her actions reminded me of Kira's annoying habits. Kira again? What's her deal this time,?

However, those thoughts quickly vanished when she turned to face me.

"Where's Kira?" She had a round face, black hair, and oval-shaped yellow eyes. She carried her school bag on her shoulder, still in her school uniform. And it wasn't Kira, It was no other than Kira's friend, Shina.

"What are you doing here? Why are you looking for Kira?" I asked, but she didn't answer. Instead, she went straight to the bathroom, then to the kitchen, and finally to Ate Yuri's room. Reluctantly, I followed her.

"What's going on now?" I asked as she stared at me furiously, raising her eyebrows. 

This girl had been restlessly searching my place for Kira, and what's with her today?

"Where's Kira?" She demanded, "Where did you hide her?" 

Hide Kira?.. is this girl still sane? 

"What are you talking about?" I leaned against the doorframe, crossing my arms as I glared at her standing inside my room.

"Don't act ignorant. You're the only one I can think of who would..."

"Hey, did your parents not teach you how to behave properly in someone else's house?"

"Don't try to change the subject. Where is she?" She persisted, passing by me and ignoring my presence. "I'm sure she's here... you're hi-"

But before she could pass me, I gripped her shoulder and made her stop. "Hey, wait, calm down!"

"...What's wrong? Did something happen to Kira? For you to be looking for her here?.."

Then she stopped struggling and looked at me, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Kira... she's been missing for two days..."

..

"Missing?"

"Yeah she hasn't been coming to school and not answering my calls.

"Didn't that happened before? She must be taking care of her mother."

"It happened before but today is different. Her mother, her mother came to school looking for her. She said she's been missing for..." She paused and turned her eyes on me.

"... You're her boyfriend so I thought you should've known.."

*Tentenenten ten- ten≈ *messages sound*

feeling my phone vibrated on my thigh, I slipped my hand on my pocket, What is it this time?

Pulling my phone I opened it and ignore Shina's blabbering.

I opened my phone and check the message, I saw Kira's photo tied up with her mouth shut with tape, stating come to San Shi street XXX place alone if you want to see her alive."

Staring at the phone blankly, I scratched my hair and blink several times.

Staring again at it as I squinted my eyes, the very same picture is on my screen,

What is this... is this a prank?

"Hey, are you listening to me?"

Not paying much attention to Shina, I started touching my phone, dialing the unknown number several times, but there's no answer...

I sat on my bed and stared at my feet as I mumbled.

 "Kira.. She's been kidnapped.."

"W-what? How did you know?" Where is she?"

Shina place both of her hands on my shoulder and shook the hell out of me, making me feel shit and dizzy..

I took my phone and showed her the message.

"That's Kira...Why is she tied up? How did you get this?"

That's the same question I have too that I don't have any answer..

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go to that place and.. let's get Kira!"

Shina was about to rush out, but I managed to pull her hand and stop her.

"What are you doing?.."

"...Are you an idiot? Even if you are, don't you understand the situation? She's been kidnapped...That means it's dangerous..."

"Try calling her parents first and tell them"

"Oh...okay"

Shina started dialling on her phone as I.. Crumbled the bed sheets beneath my palm...

What's going on?..I just got back from being kidnapped...and now it's Kira? I finally made up to treat her better. You gotta be kidding me... what the hell, what's going on?..This is just a coincidence right? There's no way, I'm not the cause of her getting kidnapped or something, right? But the message that was sent...

Am I still dreaming? That must be it.. I mean there's no way..

....

..Matsuki!

       ... Matsuki

             ... MATSUKI!

"Hey, are you okay? I've been calling you and you're not responding, I said I'm going to come with Kira's mother and police, do you wanna tag along?"

"Shina...This situation is not a kid's game, why are you sounded happy? Life is on the line here."

"But it's all good now because the police is with us? What are you worried about?"

Let's go!" Her urgency propelled her towards the door, but my words halted her momentum.

"I'm not going."

"Huh? You just said that life is on the line here?" Why aren't you coming? Are you not even worried about Kira? He's your girlfriend!"

"Just go, I'm pretty sure that her rich parents will get her out of that situation using their money, why do I need to worry about her?"

"Huh? .... You're her boyfriend what are you saying?"

"Tskk... A scared boyfriend... Now that I look at you, you've been wearing that pathetic, terrified expression," she spat out, her frustration echoing through the room. "You can't be serious, right?"

"..." Silence enveloped us as I struggled to find my voice.

"You're useless," she turned away, her gaze burning into me for the last time. "Fine, If you're not coming, just stay and rot in this place."

With those words, Shina dashed out of my room, leaving behind a heavy silence.

But even if I go there... It's not like I can do anything about it. And I'm pretty sure her parents are rich enough to pay a ransom. Yeah, that's it. It's Kira, it's none of my concern. She's just...

...

A growl interrupted my thoughts. Ugh... I'll cook some food first. 

As I turned away from the window, I felt an unusual heaviness settle in my chest, I just ignored it and proceed to go into the kitchen.

***

Despite feeling physically sated after eating, a wave of exhaustion washed over me, pulling me towards the comforting embrace of sleep. Though my back didn't ache much, a lingering discomfort nagged at me. As my eyelids grew heavy, a persistent ring shattered the tranquility.

*Ring *ring*

"Who's calling me? Is it that unknown number? Then I must..." Reaching out for my phone, I hesitated, only to find it was my manager calling. With a sigh, I answered, bracing myself for whatever awaited on the other end of the line.

"Uhm... boss. Sorry, but if you're going to ask me to work, sadly I won't be able to go to."

"No, I'm just worried. What happened? I lost contact with you for three days."

"Three days?..." I checked my phone's date and realized it had indeed been three days. I'd been knocked down for three days straight? Right... I went to sleep right away when I got home because my head hurt so much. Shina also said that Kira has been missing for two days, but for it to be three days... if that's the case...

"Sorry, the thing is I'm not sure if I could help considering my health, so I don't think I'll be able to go to work."

"You too?"

The boss sighed, the sound echoing louder than usual through the phone, causing me to instinctively pull it away from my ear. "Toka said the same thing a while ago, so I'm alone in the bar right now. I'm thinking of closing up for the time being."

Toka? She's absent too?.. why? Ah, right, I must ask the manager. Maybe I'll find out about that guy... his name... what was it again? Miko? And I might as well tell him.

"Boss, about the errand you asked me... Sorry, but I didn't get any drinks, and I was wondering what kind of people you're dealing with. I almost got myself into-"

"Errand?"

"I mean, when you asked me to get the new drinks, Toka said you can't come, so you sent me there, and so I came, but..."

"Toka said? I didn't ask for anything, though. Uh, right, I also wanted to call you because I was wondering why you two closed the shop without informing me."

"What? But she said you told her to close because we're out of drinks and treat us to some rest."

"Huh? But we're not short on drinks. I just ordered from my friend."

"What?..."

"Matsuki, what was it about? Did something happen when I was gone that you guys closed early, and you two are not coming to work? Did you two get into a fight with a customer?"

"No, nothing happened. I just really injured myself from the stairs. And as for Toka, I don't know her reason."

"Alright then, I'll call you later." *Beep*

The boss hung up.

 Toka... what the hell? If it wasn't the boss who asked me... then me ending up in that place...

0