Volume 2: Chapter 31: The Gist Of it
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Forgive me, Matsuki, it seems like I've forgotten to mention it," Rina San began, her gaze shifting between me and Ate Yuri. "I planned to tell you, but I think having your sister with us will be much better."

Ate Yuri remained silent, her eyes downcast, clearly uncomfortable with the situation.

"But really," Rina San continued, sighing, "Why did it slip my mind?"

As we stood outside the cottage, surrounded by lush greenery and the soothing sound of water from a nearby pool, Rina San brought our attention to the matter at hand.

"I must be really worried to have forgotten that part," Rina San sighed again, her tone heavy with regret. Meanwhile, my sister avoided eye contact with me, maintaining a quiet demeanor.

"What part?" I inquired, feeling a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

"That your mother... had changed," Rina San explained solemnly.

"As you can probably imagine, Yuri is not exactly your father's friend or something; Yuri is your real sister," she revealed, her words hanging heavy in the air.

"My real sister?" I echoed, shifting my eyes to Ate Yuri, who remained silent and seemed lost in her own thoughts.

"Is that true?" I questioned, feeling a whirlwind of emotions stirring within me.

"Yeah, it is. I'm really your... sister," Ate Yuri replied hesitantly, her voice trembling with uncertainty.

"Wait, wait," I interjected, trying to process the sudden revelation. "What do you mean, my real sister?" My head began to ache with the weight of this new information. Given that I wasn't truly my father's son, Ate Yuri being my real sister shouldn't have been surprising, but it still felt like a shock.

"Then, how come she introduced herself as..." I trailed off, unable to articulate my thoughts coherently amidst the confusion.

"Wait, wait, we're getting there. Just let me finish," Rina San interjected, halting my questions with a firm yet gentle tone.

"Okay," I acquiesced, allowing her to continue.

"Exactly eight years ago, your mother... After losing her husband and son, she became a different person," Rina San began, her voice tinged with sadness. "The caring and cheerful mother you once knew was gone. She couldn't accept that her husband had died in a mere accident. For eight years, she's been tirelessly trying to regain control of her husband's company."

Rina San paused, her gaze distant as she recounted the events. "After your father's death, and the deaths of the two founders, the company was passed on to Miyuki Miyoko. But your mother, Mira, felt something was amiss. The timing of her husband's and Mori's deaths was too coincidental, too convenient. She suspected foul play."

"Is this... about the history of my family?" I asked, my confusion mounting as I tried to make sense of everything that had been revealed.

"Yes, Matsuki. Your real mother, Mira, is alive and well. You just met her," Rina San confirmed, her expression sympathetic as she recalled our earlier encounter. "Considering how you two left that room with loud arguments, I assume you've already discussed it."

My mind reeled as I absorbed this information. "She's been trying to get her husband's company, specifically my father's, since he died at the same time I got lost?" I questioned, trying to piece together the puzzle.

"That's correct," Rina San affirmed. "She's been persistent in her efforts, even requesting investigations, but to no avail. She suspects Miyuki, the current head of the company, but without evidence, her attempts to take over have been futile. That's why she asked others to look for her son – you. If you were still alive, she believed she could reclaim the company your father worked so hard for."

"The company again?" I exclaimed, feeling overwhelmed by the weight of it all. "What does this have to do with me?"

"Let me finish first," Rina San interjected gently, sensing my rising frustration.

"That's when Yuri started looking for her brother – you," she continued, turning her attention to Ate Yuri. "Since then, she's lost her precious brother and father, and her mother's attitude has changed. She's definitely not in a good condition."

Rina San's gaze shifted to Ate Yuri, her eyes filled with compassion. "As her only friend, I couldn't bear to see her like that. So, I said some things to her – about not losing hope and believing that you might still be alive somewhere. I promised to help her find you."

Ate Yuri remained silent, her gaze fixed on the pool as if lost in thought, her emotions hidden beneath a facade of composure.

"That's just my way of encouraging her to keep sane, and thankfully, it worked," Rina San admitted, her tone tinged with a mixture of relief and disbelief. "But to think that 'bullshit' came true, and here you are."

"But that's all well and good," I interjected, sensing a shift in the conversation's tone.

 "But there's still one problem she's worried about."

"Rina San, I think that's enough," my sister suddenly interrupted, her voice firm as she stood before Rina San.

"But your brother needs to know it," Rina San insisted, her gaze flickering between us.

My sister remained silent, her stance unwavering, as Rina San gently placed a hand on her shoulder. "I think you should go back to your room for now. I'll tell you my reasons later, okay?"

"Okay," my sister responded obediently, her demeanor akin to that of a child being led away. With a final nod, she followed Rina San out of the room, leaving me alone with Rina San once more.

"So," Rina San continued, settling back into her seat, "if we found him, Mom will just... use him your sister said." She paused, her expression grave. "As you can see, your sister was worried about stuff like that when we haven't even found you, and we're not even sure if you're really still alive. So I came up with another bullshit."

"I've thought of something, I said to her" she continued, her voice low but determined. "If we ever find your brother, let's keep him away from your mother. That way, he'll be safe."

"And so, we agreed on that," Rina San concluded, her tone resolute. "After searching for you for three and a half years, luck finally came to my side. I found a suspicious document in some rural hospital, and it was you."

"But Rina San, my sister found me four years ago, not..." I began, only to be cut off by Rina San's reminder.

"I told you to let me finish, didn't I?" she chided gently, rubbing her head in a gesture of mild exasperation.

"Yes, please continue," I conceded, eager to hear the rest of her story.

"I found you after looking for three and a half years, but that doesn't mean I immediately told your sister," Rina San clarified, her expression grave. "I was uncertain about some things and hesitant to reveal the truth. Additionally, there was another reason for my silence."

She paused, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "I kept it a secret because the one taking care of you, specifically your father who adopted you, John Satoro, asked me to. He knew his life was drawing to a close and requested that he watch over you for at least a year. It was his final wish, and I couldn't refuse."

My mind reeled at the revelation. "My father knew he was about to die?" I whispered, a mixture of disbelief and sorrow washing over me.

"Until then," Rina San resumed, her voice tinged with sadness, "he wanted you to live with him for the remainder of the year. Of course, I agreed, hoping it would help him cooperate with me."

"But then," she continued, her tone growing somber, " five months after I visited his house, he was gone, and you were nowhere to be found. I feared the worst, believing he had run away or met with some misfortune. However, I discovered a letter in an envelope left behind in the house."

"In that letter," she revealed, her voice trembling slightly, "were details of your whereabouts, as well as something unexpected. Essentially, it was the envelope I handed to you."

"In fear of repeating my mistake, I finally disclosed your location and circumstances to Yuri," she explained, her gaze steady. "We agreed that she would introduce herself as your father's friend, allowing us to protect your identity and keep you away from your mother."

"That's the gist of it."

0