Volume 2: Chapter 35: Running Away
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[2023-November 26]

"Takumi!"

"What are you doing? Get me out of here!" I grasped onto the metal bars, shaking them like a jail cell door, my voice tinged with desperation, only to be met by her silent gaze.

"..."

"What the hell are you planning? Get me out of here!"

"Sorry... but this is for the best... the only option I could come up with."

"Huh, are you kidding me? Get me out of here!"

Takumi remained silent, her gaze fixed ahead, not even bothering to turn and acknowledge my pleas.

"Hey!"

Finally, she turned her face, her eyes filled with watery tears, her expression heavy with sorrow.

I was taken aback by the sight of her tear-stained face. My words caught in my throat as she continued to walk away, leaving me clutching onto the cold metal bars, feeling trapped and alone.

...

My gripped tighten on bars as I realized my situation.

"Damn it!"

I punched the wall in frustration, what the hell Takumi!" She is just leaving me all alone here without saying anything.

As I leaned back onto the wall, I noticed stairs leading downward. 

"Huh?.."

Curiosity pulling me, I descended, finding myself in an underground house.

The place was unexpectedly well-equipped—a kitchen, bathroom, living room, stocked with food, a PlayStation, and a computer. Was this meticulously prepared or had it been here before?

My attention was drawn to the computer. Despite having internet access, it seemed to block my attempts to reach out to others. And Takumi had taken my phone too.

 What was her plan by imprisoning me here?

Memories swirled in my fuzzy mind. 

How did I even get here? What happened after Takumi clung to me that night? Sighing, I struggled to recall.

 I looked around the house for a while, searching for something useful to break the five layered bars that held me captive, but my attempts were futile. Exhausted, I collapsed onto the bed.

...

Staring at the plain white ceiling, I realized it had been a while since I'd slept on a proper bed. From being taken by her and forced to sleep in unfamiliar places, to wandering on lands with tall grass, and now here. Where exactly was this place?

...

Spotting a familiar teddy bear from a claw game as I wondered my eyes, I picked it up and held it in front of me. "Wait... isn't this..." I remembered giving this to Takumi on our date. Why does she still have this?

As I stared at the bear, I noticed the handkerchief tied to its right ear. "This one too?" Surprised by this discovery, I got up and looked around more.

Surveying the cabinet near the bed, I realized this place belonged to Takumi. Did she live in this secluded spot, all by herself?

As I examined the items I had given her, arranged like a collection, my gaze fell on a photo frame of a policewoman nearby. Who is this woman? Having a tan color skin and curly hair, I'm pretty sure she isn't some kind of Takumi relative, right?...

The atmosphere weighed heavy with unanswered questions, leaving me feeling increasingly unsettled and isolated in this underground refuge.

***

Sighing, I questioned my actions. What was I doing, rummaging through someone else's place? Whoever that woman is not my problem right now.

But really, what's with this place if it is her room, shouldn't she make this more like a girl's room.. I sighed as I went to look for the bathroom..the room around me was dimly lit, with sparse furnishings and plain walls. The air felt stale, hinting at the enclosed space of the underground hideout.

I made my way to the bathroom, but something caught my eye. Two pairs of school uniforms hung nearby, unmistakably the uniforms of girls from our school. The sight puzzled me. Why were they here? Could it be that Takumi used to attend that school? Or perhaps she still does? The thought of her roaming around the school while I remained oblivious unsettled me.

Now that I think about it... What's Takumi have been doing all these past four years?..

That thought got stuck on my head for a while, staring at the bathroom floor, I shook off the thoughts out of my head.

Stop thinking about it, I stomped my way out of the bathroom. It has nothing to do with me.

...

Despite the amenities provided, this place felt stiflingly dull. Sure, there was food to eat, games to play, and a TV to watch, but the sense of confinement overshadowed any potential enjoyment. Should I simply resign myself to this situation and try to make the best of it? But I couldn't shake the feeling of unease. What if someone discovered me here and posed a threat?

Burying myself under the covers, I contemplated my options. 

Rest seemed like the best course of action for now. Once I regained my strength, I could focus on finding a way out of here.

***

[2023-November 27]

*Thud*

With a resounding thud, I was abruptly jolted awake. Startled, I sat up in bed, my senses on high alert as I listened to the voices that followed.

"Do you think this is the place?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Who were they? Had they already found my location? I sighed, feeling a sense of dread wash over me. Had I just jinxed it? What should I do?

Scanning the room for any means of defense, my eyes fell upon an umbrella. 

It would have to do.

"Hey, Kou-chan, there seems to be a room underneath here."

"Let's see it."

"It's locked."

"Then unlock it."

"Are you sure she's really here? It seems like this is an abandoned place."

"But we're really sure we saw her coming here."

I leaned over the wall, pressing my ear to it as I stand in the middle of the door to eavesdrop on their conversation. Based on their voices, they seemed young, unlike the intimidating voices of those black-suited men.

"Yeah, yeah, let's just hurry up," one of them urged impatiently.

Suddenly, there was a muffled explosion followed by the creaking of metal. The sound reverberated through the underground chamber, causing me to tense up as I waited to see what would happen next.

"It's open," one of them exclaimed.

"Good, let's go in."

But before they could proceed, another voice interjected, "No, you go first!"

"Eh?"

A moment of hesitation followed, then a flurry of movement and the unmistakable sound of feet slipping on the stairs after what seemed like an argument between them. Thump, thump, thump. Then, a loud bang as something fell from above, creating a cloud of dust.

"Ugh... you didn't have to kick me," the guy groaned, caressing his back.

"Huh? Kou-chan." His attention turned towards me, and I froze, surprised as our eyes met in a tense stare.

"Hup." Another guy jumped down, his expressions a mix of confusion and curiosity.

"Eh... Korosaku?" one of them muttered, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

"It's a guy," the guy on the ground responded, his tone puzzled yet intrigued.

"Yeah..." Both voices trailed off, a hint of confusion evident.

"You guys, why did you jump down, it's a stairs, you guys are really idiot. Hahaha."

A laughed echoed as the three of us continued to stare at each other.

"Hey guys, why are suddenly qui-"

"Matsuki?" The silhouette of the last one called out my name. I squinted my eyes to see him. My eyes widened in surprised.

"Korasaku..." I muttered, the last guy to appear was none other than Korosaku Lee.

"Huh? Matsuki! What are you doing here?" he exclaimed, his voice filled with surprise and curiosity as he rush to come to me.

"I should be the one to ask that..."

***

"So, you're here because you thought Takumi was here?" I questioned, my tone a mix of confusion and suspicion.

"Yeah, that's what this guy told me," Korosaku patted the shoulder of the small guy.

"Well, I'm really sure I saw her," the small guy added.

It's really Korosaku but the pals he have right now is different from before..

"Yeah yeah, I got it, but she's not here," I insisted.

"That's because she left," I explained, frustration evident in my voice.

"She left?"

"As you can see, I was locked up here, thanks to you I will be able to come out easily," 

"This room smells like a girl's room," the other guy commented, wrinkling his nose in distaste.

"Well, it surely is a girl's room. Takumi used to live here," I confirmed.

"Really?" The small guy looked smug, pleased to have been right.

"So where is she?" Korosaku asked, his voice tinged curiosity.

"She's gone. She basically kidnapped me and brought me here, then left me all alone in this room," I indifferently explained, as I passed them.

"Sorry, but I need to go. Thanks for the help," waving my hand, in a rush I made my way to the exit they had managed to break.

As I climbed up the stairs, and managed to get out, I was greeted by the sight of five men in black suits.

"They're really here, this fast," I muttered to myself, feeling a sense of panic rising within me.

"What should I do?" I wondered aloud as I looked around, feeling overwhelmed by the situation.

Shit! I don't have anything with me..

"Hey man, we just saw each other after a while. Why the rush?" Korosaku running towards me as he questioned.

"Ehh... those guys again."he muttered in surprised. 

"They managed to follow us," another exclaimed, his voice filled with frustration.

"Let's run," someone suggested, and Korosaku suddenly came forward.

"Don't panic," Korasaku calmly facing them. "I prepared a countermeasure for them."

Huh, he looked so confident. What could that be?

"You think I'm gonna run from you guys again?" Korasaku yelled defiantly.

"You idiots," one man spat out as he started cursing us.

Suddenly, one of the men in black suits lunged forward, reaching for Korasaku. But Korasaku was too quick for him, dodging the attack and throwing something in front of us. It gave off a bright shine.

"Hahaha, you gotta be kidding me!" Korasaku laughed triumphantly.

"That's my trump card, a smoke bomb,"

Huh? I felt a surge of adrenaline as I realized what was happening. I know now is the time to make a run but I couldn't move. Why?..

"Hey Matsuki, what are you doing? Run!" one of them shouted.

"Those guys are the ones behind the kidnapping. We can't let them capture us again," Korosaku yelled as he continued to run away

"I know, but... I didn't expect this. I thought we were going to fight,"

"Run! Run for your lives!" One of his pals yelled, his urgency prompting me to follow suit.

Without a plan, I got a hold of myself, clenching my fist, I followed Korasaku and his two pals, hoping that we could escape the danger that lurked behind us.

0