Chapter 2
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2 ~ What is Dead May Never Die ~

I poured another cup of wine and guzzled it down as mother entered, she took in my clothing thrown everywhere and then she looked at me “I am so sorry Wolfling” she said as she removed the cup from my grip and touched my tear stained cheeks “your heart will heal” she wiped away a tear. 

 

“I’m not heartbroken” I said bitterly, I watched as she moved around my tent and pick up the things I had thrown in anger, she then began to pack some of my things “are you making me go back to Winterfell?” I asked as I soon up and swayed slightly, several cups of wine and no food was a bad decision. 

 

“No, not yet, Robb has sent Ser Rodrik to look after the boys, he wants us to go to the Stormlands” she looked at me for a moment hummed in the back of her throat and then continued what she had been doing. 

 

“Why the Storm….” I paused and sighed, “Renly is in the Stormlands isn’t he?” I laughed and got up “of course he is, I bet being King wasn’t his idea, it was probably Loras’” 

 

“It doesn’t matter who’s idea it was, Renly has an army of 100,000 behind him, Robb wants us to negotiate” mother said as she finished packing, she lifted my sword and held it out to me “your brother needs you” her eyes began to plead with me. 

 

“Fine,” I said grabbing the sheath and placing it on top of the trunk of clothes that we’d gotten, “It would be nice to see Renly again” I sighed, looking at mother I frowned at the sallow look of her complexion “you need to get more sleep” I mumbled it was my turn to be concerned.

 

“I never slept well without your father next to me” she admitted, my heart clenched at the thought of what my future could be, I could hardly sleep as it was without Jaime.

 

“Mother” I mumbled and pulled her into a tight embrace as if my arms could change what happened.

 

—————

 

We arrived at Renly’s camp just outside of Storm’s End almost two weeks of hard riding, hopping off the horse that I had borrowed from one of Robb’s men, because Ember was somewhere hopefully being looked after by Lannister men, I patted it’s flank and handed the reigns to a saddler who nodded at me and mother before leading the horses away to be fed and watered, “Renly seems to have quite the following” mother commented as we heard men’s cheers from by the cliffs where banners flew Ser Colen, our guard lead the way.

 

“People have always loved Renly,” I replied as we neared the crowd “he’s kind to everyone” the crowd parted for Ser Colen and a few of the men threw us cautious looks as Ser Loras was thrown to the ground by his sparring opponent, Loras couldn’t get up in time when the persons sword was pressed to his throat.

 

“Yield, I yield” Loras said loud enough for everyone to know he was defeated, his opponent removed their helm and it was a woman who had bested the Knight of the Flowers.

 

“That must be Lady Brienne of Tarth” I said to mother who watched as a woman almost the size of the Hound moved closer to Renly and kneeled before him.

 

“How do you know that Wolfling, I don’t recall you ever meeting anyone from House Tarth” she glanced at me as Brienne asked Renly to let her serve as a Kingsguard which he agreed to immediately.

 

“Renly mentioned her enough when we were in King’s Landing together, they’re great friends” I shrugged when she shot me a look as Ser Colen stepped forward to introduce us to Renly.

 

“Your Grace, I have the honour to bring you Lady Catelyn Stark and Lady Anaris Stark, sent as an envoy by Robb, Lord of Winterfell” Colen said loudly, Renly grinned at me as mother and I came to stand in the middle of the sparring ring. 

 

“Lord of Winterfell and King in the North,” mother said causing me to cough at the tension her words caused to the men that surrounded us.

 

“Lady Catelyn, Lady Anaris, I'm pleased to see you. May I present my wife, Margaery of House Tyrell?” Renly spoke as he stood form his throne and gestured to the woman that sat next to him, she was beautiful much like her brother Loras and she knew how to use her beauty.

 

“You are very welcome here, Lady Stark” Margaery spoke kindly but her eyes took in mother and I like we were coming to steal things from her, “I'm so sorry for your loss”

 

“You are most kind” I said for mother as she too eyed not only Margaery Tyrell but also the men that were now all around us, my sole focus was on Renly though, he looked good, healthy even and the crown on his head suited him.

 

“My ladies, I swear to you I will see the Lannisters answer for your husband and fathers murder,” I glanced at mother uncomfortably “When I take King's Landing, I'll bring you Joffrey's head” the crowd roared and I shifted my feet slightly.

 

“It will be enough to know that justice was done, my lord” mother said after I heard her release a calming breath over the crowd.

 

“Your Grace,” Brienne said sternly “And you should kneel when you approach the King” she looked pointedly at the ground in front of Renly and Margaery which made the latter of the two look extremely pleased.

 

“There's no need for that” Renly told Brienne who gave him a stif nod “both Ladies are honoured guests,” he looked at me and smiled “Lady Anaris is a trusted friend” I grinned back in reply but Loras decided to speak up.

 

“Has your son marched against Tywin Lannister yet?” Loras asked causing me to look at him distastefully. 

 

“My mother does not sit on my brother’s war councils, I do” I said meeting his eyes and smirking “I would not share his strategies with you” I narrowed my eyes at him.

 

“If Robb Stark wants a pact with us, he should come himself, not hide behind his mother and sister’s skirts” Loras said making me step forward but mother stopped me by using one of her hands

 

“My son is fighting a war, not playing at one” mother told him making it obvious that she was holding me back from attacking him, Renly just chuckled at what was happening and made his way over to us with a smile.

 

“Don't worry, my lady. Our war is just beginning,” he said to mother before linking his arm with mine and leading mother and I away from the crowd with Brienne close behind, clearly taking her new position as Kingsguard very seriously.

 

—————

 

Mother had made Renly upset and after we’d practically been banished to our tent where we found food and wine waiting, mother sighed deeply and sat down at the table, Renly was correct about one thing the journey was a tiresome one. 

 

“Get some rest mother” I said softly, placing my hand on her shoulder gently “you’ll need all your strength to deal with this lot” my hand slid away from her shoulder and I gathered my skirts and started to leave. 

 

“I’m not the only one who needs rest Anaris” she replied, when I looked back she was staring at me with a worried expression “you call out for him in your sleep, you call out to both of them” it was my turn to sigh deeply, my dreams were becoming more prominent I woke more often crying as fathers headless corpse came closer and sometimes touched my dream self, it made my veins turn to ice and it took me hours to feel warm again while we rode here mother asked what it was that I dreamed about but I could never tell her. 

 

“I’ll rest when we’re back at Robb’s camp” I said before leaving the tent quietly, I wasn’t under guard here and I decided to enjoy the freedom of it by taking a stroll around Renly’s camp, I knew some of the men that milled around the tents, chatting, eating and looking after their armour, and while some turned a blind eye to me strolling through a lot of the men were looking at me warily. 

 

“Lady Lannister” a voice called from my right and Lady Margaery was coming closer with her brother in tow, he was still looking sour about his loss to a woman. 

 

“Lady Margaery” I said with a small curtsy, she wasn’t my queen and she certainly wasn’t a friend, in fact I’d only met her in passing, only heard about her through Renly, he said she was lovely and he wasn’t lying, she was but there was something in the depths of her eyes that reminded me of Cersei, this woman wanted power and it was obvious that she would do a lot to make that happen. 

 

“May I join you on your stroll?” She asked, being a head shorter she had to look up slightly to meet my eyes and I would’ve put down 5 gold dragons that she hated every second of it. 

 

“I would be honoured” she smiled and held her arm out for me to slip my forearm through so we could look like companions. 

 

“I heard your brother has captured your husband, I can’t imagine what you must be going through” she looked at me through her peripheral and quickly looked away when she saw I had turned my head to look at her, I hated fake sympathy almost as much as I hated fishing for information “I’ve over stepped”

 

“Yes Lady Margaery, you have” I said as I removed my arm from hers and stopped walking with her, “I’m here to talk to my friend Renly, that is all, I’m not here to make waves with you or your family. So I will only say this as a curtesy to your husband, do not try to manipulate me”

 

I left her standing alone in the middle of the camp, I could hear her arguing with Loras. 

 

—————

 

A day after my interaction with Margaery Tyrell I entered the tent I shared with mother and found the man I definitely didn’t want to see or interact with ever again “what do you want?” I asked Baelish as he stood in front of mother who was clutching one of my knives. 

 

“The Lannisters will trade your sisters for the Kingslayer and you” he said, not looking me in the eye, I glanced at mother and moved around the slimy man like he was a snake about to strike. 

 

“Of course they want that trade” I said with a shake of my head, that had to be either Tywin or Tyrion making these demands, Joffrey was having too much fun playing war.

 

“Jaime Lannister and Anaris for two girls? Robb will never agree to those terms” mother said with a scoff, Robb had said he’d never agree to just Jaime and I leaving, he wants me in the north and he wants the North free from the Lannister clutches. 

 

“I'm not bringing these terms to him, I'm bringing them to you” Baelish never took his eyes off of mother as he spoke even as I moved to get a drink.

 

“You think I keep secrets from my son?” She growled making me smirk as I sipped my wine. 

 

“Robb has surprised them all with his skills in battle, but he's not a mother,” he said manipulating her in the only way he knew how, he used her love for her children against her “Consider it, Cat. You may not get another chance. I've brought you a gift” I scoffed in disgust this man knew no bounds. 

 

“I don't want your gifts” mother said glaring at him as I readied to beat the man into the dirt of the tent if she gave the word. 

 

“A token of Tyrion Lannister's goodwill” he opened the flap of the tent and two squires came in carrying a very heavy looking trunk “He wants you to understand that this exchange of prisoners is offered in good faith” I eyed the trunk like it was poison. 

 

“Good faith?” I asked, the stench from the trunk was making my eyes water and I exchanged a look with my mother, we both knew what was in the trunk. 

 

“What's this?” Mother croaked out as she knelt down next to the trunk and opened it slowly, inside was the mangled, mostly rotted, headless body of my father, his head was tucked safely on his chest, I spun away from the sight and wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my dress.

 

“Your husband was an honourable man,” Baelish said but his voice wasn’t sincere, he hated father and he hated Uncle Brandon “He should rest beside his family in the crypts beneath Winterfell. You may not believe…” 

 

“Get out” I seethed as I turned back to mother and the trunk, Baelish looked at me speechless, he wanted to continue but he looked at mother as she wept over the trunk and left us without another word.

 

 

—————

 

I sat at the small writing desk in my tent when Renly burst in like he was being chased by Wildlings, he poured himself a cup of while, gulped it down and went to refill it when I spoke up “you may be king now Renly but asking permission to enter another’s tent is still required” I went back to my letter to Robb about what Tyrion had done and letting him know that father was on route home via White Harbour and one of Renly’s ships. 

 

“Stannis wants to meet, Margaery knows about Loras and I and the men are starting to question as to why she isn’t with child” he put his cup down and I slowly looked up at him as he ran his hand over his face “what did you say to people when you and the Kingslayer were questioned about not having children?” He looked at me with pleading eyes.

 

“Well no one asked us because we weren’t king and queen” I pointed to an empty chair and he collapsed into it with a deep breath “tell me about Stannis” 

 

“He’s on his way here with a few banner men and a Lady Melisandre, she’s a Red priestess” he handed me a cup of wine “really how did you not get pregnant, you and the Kingslayer were fucking more then Robert” I scowled at him while I sipped my wine. 

 

“Careful Renly, I might forget you’re my friend” I lowered my cup and stared into the red liquid thinking of this Melisandre woman “why would Stannis have a priestess by his side? It makes no sense” I shook my head, Stannis had always been the most sour of men, I’d met him once or twice but he seemed angry for no reason. 

 

“Because he’s an idiot” Renly shook his head and looked down at his feet again “word has it he’s now worshiping this Lord of Light and he’s burnt the statues of the Seven, I don’t believe it” 

 

“And his Maester? Can’t imagine he’d let this happen willingly” I asked as I took another sip. 

 

“Dead, apparently he tried to poison the woman, she didn’t react while the Maester bled out” I raised an eyebrow in question and Renly shrugged “I’m as confused as you are, Ris”

 

“Stannis has been on that rock too long, the sea air has turned him into a Greyjoy” I muttered and placed my hand on Renly’s knee “if you need me there when you meet with him I will be, I’ll have to bring mother of course” he chuckled. 

 

“We’ll need someone to keep us inline” he smirked in reply and I burst out laughing. 

 

“Then I definitely shouldn’t attend” he laughed along with me as he poured us more wine. 

 

—————

 

Renly sat on his stallion next to my horse and we watched as Stannis, Melisandre and an older gentleman rode towards us, mother was astride her own horse next to Loras and Brienne who I asked to make sure mother got out of the area incase there was fighting, she begrudgingly agreed. 

 

“Lady Stark, Lady Lannister, I had not thought to find you in the Stormlands” Stannis said as he neared our party, he looked more haggard than when I’d last seen him. 

 

“I had not thought to be here, Lord Stannis” mother said, she looked to where I was next to Renly and Stannis made a small noise in understanding. 

 

“Can that truly be you?” Renly asked, his voice turned mocking, looks like I had my work cut out for me when it came to this meeting.

 

“Who else might it be?” Stannis snapped back with a glare. 

 

“When I saw your standard, I couldn't be sure,” Renly replied nonchalantly as my horse shifted and I met the eyes of the red Woman who was staring unblinkingly at me “Whose banner is that?”

 

“My own”

 

“I suppose if we used the same one, the battle would be terribly confusing” Renly said with a shrug “Why is your stag on fire?”

 

“The king has taken for his sigil the fiery heart of the Lord of Light,” Melisandre spoke up finally, her accent was from Essos which made sense because the Red God wasn’t really worshiped here, it also reminded me of Varys.

 

“You must be this fire priestess we hear so much about,” I said to make Renly stop being a brat, Melisandre nodded once. 

 

“Mmm, brother, now I understand why you found religion in your old age,” Renly said making me groan in disgust, I didn’t want to think about that. 

 

“Watch yourself, Renly,” Stannis said past gritted teeth while I quietly mumbled his name as a warning. 

 

“No, no, I'm relieved. I never really believed you were a fanatic. Charmless, rigid, a bore, yes, but not a godly man” Renly kept pressing and prodding his brothers patience and for a moment I could see them as young boys. 

 

“You should kneel before your brother. He's the Lord's chosen, born amidst salt and smoke” Melisandre said, I raised my eyebrow in question. 

 

“Born amidst salt and smoke?” I asked in confusion, while Renly chuckled. 

 

“Is he a ham?” He asked gleefully, my laugh turned into a cough when Stannis’ glare intensified. 

 

“That's twice I've warned you” Stannis said with true hatred in his voice, he was glaring at Renly like he wanted nothing more then to kill him. 

 

“Listen to yourselves,” mother scolded “If you were sons of mine, I would knock your heads together and lock you in a bedchamber until you remembered that you were brothers” both men looked at her with surprise, like they’d forgotten that they had an audience. 

 

“It is strange to find you beside my brother, Lady Stark, Your husband was a supporter of my claim” he looked at me “Lord Eddard's integrity cost him his head. And you both sit beside this pretender and chastise me” 

 

“We share a common enemy,” I reminded them, Joffrey was the enemy, he did this.

 

“The Iron Throne is mine by right, All those that deny that are my foes” Stannis told me with a glare, I swallowed another laugh, best not make this worse then it already was. 

 

“The whole realm denies it,” Renly shouted out “from Dorne to the Wall. Old men deny it with their death rattle and unborn children deny it in their mother's wombs. No one wants you for their king. You never wanted any friends, brother,” Renly shook his head “But a man without friends is a man without power,” 

 

“For the sake of the mother who bore us, I will give you this one night to reconsider” Stannis said in a deadly even voice that made my skin crawl “Strike your banners, come to me before dawn, and I will grant you your old seat in the Council. I'll even name you my heir until a son is born to me. Otherwise I shall destroy you”

 

Renly thought for a moment then gestured to his camp behind me “Look across those fields, brother. Can you see all those banners?” Stannis didn’t look but he knew how expansive the army was. 

 

“You think a few bolts of cloth will make you king?” Stannis said with a hollow chuckle. 

 

“No, The men holding those bolts of cloth will make me king” Renly replied with a confident grin. 

 

“We shall see, Renly,” Stannis gathered his horses reins “Come the dawn, we shall see,” he turned and waited to ride off as Melisandre spoke. 

 

“Look to your sins, Lord Renly,” she said, an ominous message that made a shiver run down my back “The night is dark and full of terrors,” she and the other gentleman rode off behind Stannis and we were left sitting there watching them gallop away. 

 

“Would you believe I loved him once?” Renly asked with a slightly chuckle, not taking Melisandre’s threat to have any meaning, he turned to the army camp and lead us in the opposite direction of Stannis and his Red Woman.

1