reminiscence of a childhood memory
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 1

Hello, my name's Ky. What's your name?...

Before all this, those were words I had never spoken to anyone, and no one had ever spoken to me.
My entire life I never made a single friend. To say my childhood was awkward would be a severe understatement. I was an only child, and I didn't fit in with the other kids in my neighborhood so instead of going out to play with everyone each day I would usually just stay in and play video games alone. Weekends were the same, sometimes I'd see them out my window playing and having the time of their lives and I'd wonder, "Why couldn't I be one of them?" My mom would always tell me not to worry. That someday my day would come but sadly it never did.

In school I never got noticed by anyone. No one ever asked me my name or invited me to come sit with them. Every year It was the same thing over and over. I'd sit alone in the corner of my new classroom with my face buried in my arms while the rest of my classmates would all gather around desks and lockers making new acquaintances and forming new alliances with each other but somehow, I was never included in any of that. I didn't have a group of friends to spend lunch break with, I wasn't on a team, and I didn't belong to any after school clubs, oh and you can forget about girlfriends too, Heh. I didn't even have that one best friend that I could at least be "alone together" with. Nope that kind of thing only existed in high school anime. For me reality wasn't anything like that. I never got isekaid to another world where a small group of hot girls with bright colorful hair and eyes would become my network of close friends suddenly making me the "cool guy", nor did I ever meet a popular kinda crazy girl who would somehow become my best friend and get into some awkward moments with me all while expanding our little social circle along the way. Nope, lunchtime I sat alone usually with the latest manga book as my only company. Everyone else was texting their friends on their phones and I was just playing a game on mine. I never had anyone come running up to me on my way back to class asking me what I was doing after school. I never got caught talking in the middle of a lesson and when the teacher told us to partner up with a friend well, heh! You guessed it.

When class let out, I'd watch close circles of friends and groups of happy people walk right past me on our way home without even looking my way. Couples would hold hands and crowds consisting of both boys and girls would laugh and throw arms around each other walking together so happily while one of them would excitedly blurt out some sporadic proposal to go hang out somewhere fun together, and just like that there they went, trotting off into the horizon leaving me in the dust left out and forgotten. Back then Happiness and friendship seemed to blow through the world like a gentle breeze hitting every living soul that existed around me. But just like my peers, it too would brush right past, forgetting to stop at me.

Eventually I finished high school. By the end of it my Social skills were zero but my grades were solid and I graduated with a super impressive record so I could have gone anywhere I wanted in life but I didn't really have any ambition to go to college, I was done trying to fit the mold in a world that didn't seem interested in having me in it and besides it would have just been the same old thing I was subjected to my whole life before so why bother right? Well once again as the world around me continued to climb to new heights I decided to go my own way instead and try to find work. I figured at least there I wouldn't have to worry so much about making friends and being social. I could just keep to myself, collect a check and go home.

Somehow, I ended up landing a job at a trendy clothing retailer of all places in an underground mall. The job didn't pay the best in the world, but it kept me going and I was able to live on my own with it, so I guess I was doing ok. And that's where my story begins, I'm twenty-three now living alone and life hasn't changed a single bit...Well actually.

The door swings open to a mostly unfurnished apartment. The only noise inside was the low gentle hum of a computer's fan whirring. The light clicks on and Ky steps inside and shuts the door behind him. He sets his keys and phone on the counter and walks straight over to his PC and boots it up. Dressed in the same black slim fit hoodie he wore everyday he sat down and put on his gaming headset then threw his hood on over his head and adjusted his glasses. His medium length hair slung partly Infront of his face as his monitor lit up and his home screen reflected off the lenses. He then clicked on an app which opened up an online game. "HEROS OF ADELL". He signed in and was finally taken into the world of the very popular MMORPG. His character appeared on the screen. A black-haired warrior donning silver and black armor carrying a gigantic totally unrealistic sword. Suddenly as soon as he appeared his headset roared with the sound of multiple voices.

- "Hey Ky's, here!"
- "Yo Ky!"
- "Ky! Finally, you're hear man!"

The voices went on for a moment.

Ky- "Hey everyone! How have you all been?"
- "Eh bored." One voice replied.
- "How was work?" Asked another.
Ky- " Dude, so boring."
- "We were getting worried; thought you Might have forgotten about us man."

Multiple voices burst out in light chuckles including Ky.

Ky- "Ah never. You know me. I may be a crazy social party rat, but you know I love you guys." Ky sarcastically responded.

The crowd laughed harder this time then a female's voice replied.

- "Aww. We love you too Ky."
Ky- "Well what do you say everyone? Are we ready to get moving?!
- "Yeah, Let's do this!" They all replied.

Ky spent the rest of his evening exploring the world of Adell. 2:00 AM rolled around and he finally decided it was time to go to bed.

Ky- "Well everyone it's been fun but I'm calling it a night."
- "Aw do you have to go?"
Ky- "Yeah I'm sorry but don't worry, I'll be back on in the morning before I leave for work. Good night, everyone."
-"Goodnight Ky!"
- "Night man!"
- "Love you, Ky!"
Ky- "Love you too you guys."

With that he shut down his pc for the night and proceeded off to bed. In the morning, he logged on as promised and spent roughly a half hour on HOA. He didn't get much done on there but getting to talk to his "friends" for a little bit would keep him going throughout his workday. A half hour later he walked down the stairs of his apartment building and down the street to the stairway which led to the underground mall he worked at.

As soon as Ky showed up to work, he promptly made his way back to the stock room and put on his name tag and clocked in on time. As he walked out into the store, he noticed two of his coworkers walking in. He could have sworn he heard one of them say something about "tomorrow night" but he didn't really pay any more mind to it than that. The day seemed to drag on forever for Ky as people intermittently came into the store, some buying the overpriced clothing while others just looked. He didn't really care one way or the other because he was getting paid hourly anyways.

Noon turned to evening, and it was closing time at last. As Ky was spending his last hour cleaning up and folding clothes to prepare the store for the next day, he kept noticing that the rest of his coworkers would randomly approach one another and talk almost secretly. But again, he didn't pry, he figured it was none of his business and honestly, he didn't really care regardless. The last coworker left the store for the night before his boss Umi Izawa shut off the lights and closed the security gate which dropped down over the doors. On his way back to his apartment he walked along the sidewalk under the glowing streetlights when suddenly his phone vibrated.
"Hmm?" He thought as he pulled out his phone from is jean pocket. There was a text from his boss.

Ky- "It's Mr. Izawa."

Before he unlocked his phone, he could see a partial text on the screen, and it read.

- "Ky. My birthday's tomorrow and I'm throwing a big party after work. I was wondering if you...

Upon seeing this his eyes glimmered as they lit up with excitement and his heart began to race.

Ky- "Mr. Izawa! Is he inviting me to his birthday party tomorrow?!... How do I respond?...(Clears throat) Yes, Mr. Izawa! I'd love to attend...Wait no...um...oh!...It would be an honor sir! Yeah! Yeah! Thats it! I'll say that!"

He rehearsed his lines then stretched out his index finger to swipe the screen. He realized that this must have been what the others at work had been talking to each other about all day. His hands quivered with fear and excitement as he hurriedly opened up his phone to read the rest of the message.

Izawa- "Ky. My birthday's tomorrow and I'm throwing a big party after work. I was wondering if you'd be able to stay late and close the store for me. Also, I'm gonna be petty hung over the next day so I'm gonna need you to come in early and open for me as well. Thanks, I owe you one. - Izawa."

Still holding his phone Ky's hand fell limp. His face fell to a blank expression as embarrassment set in. He felt that all too familiar chill of disappointment run down his back then he lifted up his phone and responded.

Ky- "Yes sir. I can do that."
Izawa - "Thanks, I'll make it up to you."

He walked along the bustling streets passing by eateries and bars. Ky felt a large lump in his throat as he pushed back the urge to cry. Then he mumbled to himself.

Ky- "Stupid! As if your boss would ever invite you to a party of his. I mean c'mon you're his employee. That would be fraternizing! OfCourse! I bet you no one back at work got invited. I'll bet you I was just reading into things too much. Yeah, that has to be it."

He walked into his apartment again and just like the night before he sat his keys down, this time without turning the lights on, he went over to his computer and started up HOA.

- "Ky!"
- "Hey Ky!"
- "What's goin on man!"
- "We missed you!"
Ky- "Hey guys."
- "Is everything ok Ky? You seem down tonight."
Ky- "Well to be honest...It's been kind of a rough day today."
- "What happened?"
- "Yeah, is there anything we can do?"
-" You can tell us Ky. Did someone hurt you?"

Ky proceeded to explain what happened to his online friends about his coworkers acting all shady the entire day and how his boss got his hopes up before dashing them. Then one of the voices online spoke out.

- "Hey, forget about them man! We can have our own party here."
Ky- "A party here?"
- "Yeah, right here in HOA! There's plenty of towns in this world with pubs all over them. We can go all out man!"
- "Yeah, we'll drink at one, get thrown out, drink at another, then move on to the next. We can get completely wild and out of control! If we're lucky maybe, we'll get thrown out of em all!"

Laughter broke out from all the voices except for Ky's. In a melancholy voice he responded.

Ky- "Thanks guys but I just don't think I'm in the partying mood right now. Maybe another time. For now, I think I'd rather go do a raid or something."

- "Sounds good to me! Let's do it!"

Once again Ky stayed up well into the early morning hours playing Heros of Adell with his friends. When the morning sun came up, he realized he had spent the entire night logged on and hadn't gone to bed yet. He looked at the clock and anxiety washed over him as he realized he had to be at work in an hour.

Ky- "Shoot! What time is it? No! How could I have lost track of time so badly!
- "What's wrong?"
Ky- "I'm sorry everyone I gotta go. I'll talk to you all later tonight. Bye!"

He quickly powered down his PC and ran to the bathroom to brush his teeth before making his way down the stairs outside and onto the sidewalk. When he arrived at the store, he breathed a hard sigh of relief.

Ky- "Well, I'm barely functioning but I made it here on time."

As Ky approached the storefront something caught his eye from next door. A girl that worked in the place next to his was also walking into her workplace. She was cute, slightly shorter than him with long flowing light rose colored hair and bright blue eyes that matched her hair color and dressed in a way that just screamed some popular jerk's girlfriend. He stepped inside the store and began to start the day. His morning consisted of restocking shelves. Folding shirts and ringing people up at the register. Sometime around noon he heard the ringer go off when someone walked into the store. Ky without looking away from his current task greeted the customer.

Ky- "Welcome."

He finished up what he was doing and walked over to the register to tend to the customer and was surprised when he saw who it was. It was that cute girl from earlier.

Girl- "Oh hello."

She said in a cheerful voice. Her eyes sparkling as she stood before him.

Ky- "Oh, hey can I help you find something?"
Girl- "Hmmm. I'm looking for something good to wear out, something casual that I can wear to social get togethers. Do you have any recommendations?"

Ky didn't know how to answer the girl's question. Usually, people wanted to ask about the price of something or if they had something in a different size but not advice on what to wear out. Ironically, he was being asked for social dress advice which he wouldn't know the first thing about so all he could do was try not to look too clueless.

Ky- "Umm. Well, the girl's section is over there. And our newest line just dropped earlier this week. You can find all that on the display next to the racks."
Girl- "Ok Awesome I'll start there. Thank you!"

She cheerfully skipped over to the display Ky was talking about and picked up a few items and examined them. She grabbed one of the sweatshirts from the display. And made her way over to the jeans.

Girl- "I think I'll take this one. Oh, and some of these. Those are nice too."

A few minutes later the girl walked up and sat her items down onto the counter. And Ky began ringing them up.

Ky- "Will that be all?"
Girl- "Yep."
Ky- "Ok total's right here on the screen. Go ahead and tap when you're ready."

The girl proceeded with the payment and as she waited for it to process, she innocently asked Ky.

Girl- "So you all alone tonight?"
Ky- "Oh. Yeah, It's just me."
Girl- "So I take it you'll be closing early to head over to Izawa's party then?"

Ky couldn't believe what he was hearing. He just looked back at her unsure of how to respond to this assumption.

Ky- "Uh. N.. Well..."
Girl- "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I just figured."
Ky- "It's fine."

Ky continued to place the clothes in a bag and awkwardly asked.

Ky- "So you got invited to his party then?"
Girl- "Yeah. But if it makes you feel any better, I'm not actually going. Instead, me and a couple of my friends from work are going out for drinks and sushi later. To be honest with you, I don't really care for that Izawa guy anyway. He seems like kind of a douche."
Ky- "Heh. Well at least there's one thing me and her have in common (Ky thought). Here's your items mam. Receipts in the bag. Thanks for shopping with us and have a pleasant day."
Girl- "You too I'll see you around!"

Suddenly everything invaded Ky's thoughts. "What the heck! How in the world does she know him! How did she get an invite! Am I the only person in this whole mall that didn't get one!"

Closing time came again and amidst the sound of store employees shutting their security doors Ky could hear the girls next door excitedly ranting and getting psyched for their little Swaray. He could only let out a sigh as he continued to close everything up and get ready to leave for the night.

On his way back Ky passed a sushi shop and instantly thought of the girl with rose colored hair. He glanced at the window and sure enough there she was sitting at a booth. He could see the girl from before with three other female friends all laughing and enjoying each other's company. He thought about going in and ordering some food just to see if anyone would notice him but instead, he decided just to continue on his way and not bother himself with it anymore. Besides he wasn't hungry anyways.

Tired from not getting any sleep the night before Ky returned to his apartment and went straight over to his bed.

Ky- "I'll just lay down for a second before getting on."

He ended up crashing out and sleeping through the night without logging onto HOA, something he never did. He woke up the next morning in a panic.

Ky- "No! Ky you idiot what have you done!

He ran over to his computer without looking at the time and went to start it up when suddenly he heard his alarm go off on his phone.

Ky- "Shoot! Thats right I have to go in early today! I don't have time to log on right now! Thankfully it's my Friday so I'll have all night to make it up to them."

Ky took off out the door briskly walking to the mall where he would open the store and get things ready for all the weekend shoppers. He was in the stock room in the back when he heard his coworkers start to arrive. "Great" he thought to himself, not wanting to see any of them.

Male worker- "Dude Izawa's party was so wild last night!"
Male worker2- "You said it man. I'm still messed up! HAHAHA"
Female worker- "I had such a good time."
Male worker- "Me too, I feel bad for anyone who had to miss out on that one."

As Ky walked out into the store holding merchandise to be put on the shelves the room suddenly fell silent. The female worker whispered.

Female worker- "Wait what about him?
Male worker- "What about him?"
Female worker- "I didn't see him there. Did he like not get invited or something?"
Male worker2-"I Dunno."
Female worker- "Do you think we should feel bad?"
Male worker2. "Nah! He probably volunteered to stay behind. He doesn't seem like that much of a social dude anyways."
Female worker- "Yeah you're probably right."
Male worker- "C'mon let's get to work."

They didn't realize it, but Ky heard everything they said. His suspicions were correct. He was the only one in the store who didn't get an invite. Later that day he decided to eat his lunch at the register since everyone else seemed to be going out for theirs. As he sat alone in the store consuming a small bag of chips, he heard a familiar voice speak out.

Girl- "Hey there!"

It was the rose haired girl from yesterday. She was back in the store. 

Ky- "Hey there?" It's such a friendly and familiar greeting. She can't possibly be talking to me Ky thought to himself."

Girl- "Hellooo Anybody in there?"

She waived her hand back and forth to catch Ky's attention.

Ky- "Oh, Hey"
Girl- "Is that seriously all your having for lunch?"
Ky- "Umm, Yeah It's what I have every day."
Girl- "Not trying to be mean but that sounds awful."
Ky- "(nervous chuckle) I guess it is."
Girl- "Anyways, I'm going out again this weekend and wanted to check out some beanies. Do you have any?"
Ky- "Oh, yeah they're right over here on the rack next to the register."
Girl- "Whoops! Right in front of me. Sorry Haha!"

She sifted around for a bit until deciding on a black one with the logo from their new clothing line. She then sat it on the counter and jokingly asked.

Girl- "So how much were your coworkers hating life this morning?"
Ky- "Well a couple of them went home "sick" And the rest are taking an extra-long lunch."
Girl- "HA HA HA HA! Serves them right! I'm Ayako by the way. What's your name?"

Slightly taken aback Ky reached for the name tag on his shirt and answered.

Ky- "Oh sorry my name tag's right here."
Ayako- "(Giggle) I know that silly! But I'm Not asking the name tag. I'm Asking you. What's your name?"
Ky- "What's my name?"
Ayako- "Yes...What's your name?"

0