DeJa’Vu
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 5

A freighting roar of commotion rang out from inside the building.

Ky- "So. This is the place huh? I guess I just walk in."

The sound of excitement and laughter from inside suddenly turned into shouting and swords hitting together in Ky's head. He looked down at his hand but there was no gauntlet covering it. He had no armor, no sword, and no shield, and above all he had no guild going into this with him. Ky Kazumaki was no longer in Adell. His mind went blank, and his body froze up on him. He stood motionless in the small parking lot fidgeting with his coat sleeve while he stared at the bar as if it were the gates to an enemy castle, briefly forgetting everything that had led him to this moment. Intimidated by the magnitude of this sight he lost all train of thought and suddenly couldn't bring himself to move an inch closer to that front door. All those visions of possible scenarios from before started rushing back into his mind once again. The menacing sound of evil laughter grew louder and louder in his head until the shadowy figures, he had envisioned to be Ayako's group turned into the girls at the coffee shop. His mind snapped back to reality, and he was once again standing outside of the location he had agreed to meet Ayako at. Finally, his foot shuffled the slightest bit on the ground as his body almost involuntarily started making the decision for him to press forward. Just then in the midst of Ky's uncertainty the smell of cologne wafted in the air as two average looking guys brushed past him and walked into the bar laughing and talking. They dressed like they possibly shopped in the store he worked at, and they also appeared to be holding gifts as well. They didn't say anything to him as they walked by, but Ky knew that they had to be there for the party. His apprehension grew bolder as he actually saw two of the people he would likely have to meet tonight in person.

Ky- "I'm way out of my element here."

Ky muttered to himself as the reality of meeting new people hit him.

Just then Ky's phone buzzed in his pocket.

Ayako- "Hey! We're here. Where you at?"

Ky- "Well. I guess this is it."

Ky said aloud. Taking a deep breath in he started walking towards the front door. When he got about two feet away, he shut his eyes and opened the door. He stepped inside and opened his eyes. There were people everywhere, some sitting at tables while others were standing around the bar area. He looked around but couldn't see any sign of Ayako anywhere. As he awkwardly stood in the entrance waiting for something to happen, he noticed that the commotion that had frozen his body before seemed a little more tamed now that he was inside which seemed to help his situation slightly. Continuing to scan the area, Ky could see that the place was incredibly busy tonight which made it difficult to find anyone in this crowd. He tried to listen for Ayako's upbeat voice.

Ky- "Where are they?"

He said to himself when suddenly a thought occurred to him.

Ky- "Wait a minute! What if this was all just a joke? What if she was just messing with me the entire time and there's actually no party going on at all."

Strangely enough, Ky wasn't sure if that would be the worst thing that's ever happened to him or if it would make him feel better at this point. He wasn't seeing Ayako anywhere as he scanned the seating areas of the bar, but he didn't want to walk in any further. He started wondering if his fears were true. Right as that nervous feeling started sinking in, he heard Ayako's voice call out.

Ayako- "Yo Ky! over Here!"

Finally, Ky could see her in a corner area standing up out of a chair waving her arm back and forth. With his head down he slowly started walking over to her, taking the longest way possible. With a slight giggle Ayako got up out of her seat and started walking over to him.

Ayako- "Hey Ky! I was getting worried. Thought you stood me up (Giggle)."

She said innocently while grabbing his wrist and pulling him over to the table where there were four other people sitting, two of which happened to be the guys from before. 

Ayako- "Hey everyone! I'd like you to meet my friend Ky. He works at the Umi'z right next to me. 

Guy 1 from outside- "Yo Ky What's happen'n man! I'm Kaito!

One of the guys from outside reached out his hand to Ky. He had a very cool and relaxed vibe about him. He wore dark wire framed sunglasses even indoors. His hair was messy and unkempt, and he wore an orange-colored Hawaiian style shirt unbuttoned over a grey and black stripped T shirt and a necklace made of round wooden beads. This guy even wore his brown flip flops with long jeans.

Ky- "Oh, Hey. Ky."

Ky reached out and shook Kaito's hand.

Kaito- "Yooo. Hahaha That's What's up."

Kaito snapped his fingers into a pointing motion with a wide-open smile. Ayako whispered into Ky's ear while she ushered him onto the next person.

Ayako- "Kaito likes to enjoy some extracurricular activities from time to time if you catch my drift. But he's a great friend and will give the shirt off his back for anyone."

Kaito leaned over to the guy sitting next to him and approvingly whispered.

Kaito- "Dude introduces himself on a first name basis. Thrilling, man!"

Everyone in the group seemed amazed. 

Ayako directed Ky to the other guy from before who was dressed a little more put together with a darker theme to him. His clothes were mostly black from his shirt to his shoes. He wore a black long sleeve shirt with a black shacket style coat. His studded belt held up his slim black jeans and his hair was worn thrown back. 

Ayako- "And this is Keisuke. He plays in a local band. Both these guys share a passion with my brother for skating."

Keisuke- "Hey Ky. What's up man? It's cool to meet you. Sorry about earlier by the way. Had no idea you were the guy we were meeting."

Ky- "Oh. It's cool, No worries."

The first thing Ky noticed about him was the distinct smell of cologne. 

Ayako- "And of Corse you remember Kasumi."

Kasumi- "Hi I remember you. From Umi'z right?"

Ky- "Yeah, Hello."

With her elbows on the table Kasumi laid her hands flat on top of each other and rested her head on them. She smiled up at Ky and said to him.

Kasumi- "Why don't you have a seat Ky. There's an empty spot right here."

Ayako- "Yeah sit down. I'll go grab you a drink. What do you like?"

Ky- "Oh. It's ok I can..."

Ayako- "Nonsense. Let me grab you a drink. I insist."

Ky wasn't very comfortable at the thought of someone else waiting on him but by now he had learned not to try and argue with Ayako on anything plus he didn't want to make things weird Infront of her friends so reluctantly he agreed. 

Ky- "Er. Ok I guess I'll have a beer then."

Ayako- "Any particular brand?"

Ky- "No. Any will do."

Ayako- "Coming up!"

Ayako walked through the crowd over to the bar and began waiting for the bar tender. Ky sat down at the spot next to Kasumi with his head down. 

Keisuke- "So Ky. How long you been working at Umi'z?"

Ky- "About five years now."

He awkwardly responded.

Kasumi- "Do you enjoy working there?"

Ky- "I guess so."

Kasumi- "It's funny I work right next door, but I never go in. I guess I'll have to start now huh."

Keisuke- "Ya man. I usually go to the one on the other side of town since it's closer to the campus, but I guess I'll have to come by and check out the one you work at some time.

Kaito- "Wait. This dude works at Umi'z?"

Kaito's way of taking was slow and smooth while totally chill and oblivious at the same time.

Kasumi- "Kaito you moron! Have you not been paying attention to anything that's been going on this past five minutes?!"

Kaito- "Heeey! I'm miles away babe."

Kasumi- "Ew. Don't ever call me that."

Kaito- "Haha!"

Kaito responded with his slow, wide smiled laugh.

Ayako- "I'm back! Here's your drink Ky. I hope these guys weren't too rough on you."

Ky- "Oh, thanks."

Kasumi- "So where's the birthday boy anyways. Shouldn't he be here by now."

Ayako- "You know my brother. He probably found a rail or staircase or something he couldn't resist on his way here and had to stop to show off to Leah real quick. 

Everyone in the group chucked lightly except for Ky. 

Kaito- "Yoo! Let's order some food. I'm starved!"

Kasumi- "Ugh, I swear! Koji will be here soon! Be patient!"

There was a few more minutes of small talk with mostly the others asking Ky about his work and Keisuke and Kito arguing over skating when the door to the bar opened.

Ayako- "Oh, there he is. Koji! Over here!"

Once again everyone in the group except Ky blurted out all at once.

Everyone- "Surprise! Happy birthday Koji!"

Koji- "Hey everyone! Woah your all here! Thanks for coming out!"

Ky instantly recognized the voice coming from behind him."

Ayako- Ky. I'd like you to meet the birthday boy."

Ayako ushered Ky out of his seat. When he turned around, he was surprised to see the guy from the other night that he had bumped into on his way back home from getting dinner. He still wore the purple hoodie he had on that night and standing next to him with her arms wrapped around his was the girl he was with as well. Kojis's face showed a sudden expression of shock and delight. 

Koji- "No way! It's you! You mean you're the guy Ayako's been talking about this entire time?! I can't believe it!"

Koji exclaimed with excitement in his voice. 

Ayako- "You two know each other?"

Koji- "Well not really but he did help me pick out this hoodie I'm wearing."

Ayako smiled and rolled her eyes upon hearing Koji mention that hoodie.

Koji- "And we also ran into each other in the park the other night. How cool is this!"

Ayako- "Well then let me introduce you to each other."

Ayako walked over to koji with a menacing smirk on her face.

This is my widdle bwoder Koji!"

Ayako said affectionately in a baby voice as she aggressively rubbed her hand back and forth in his hair messing it all up."

Koji- "Hey cut it out sis!"

The girl from before extended her hand out to him and introduced herself. 

Girl- "Hi. I'm Leah."

Leah had a darker complexion to her with caramel brown hair tied up in a high ponytail. From her strange accent it was obvious that she wasn't from around here. 

Ayako- "Leah's from the U.S."

Ky- "Oh. My Mom's from there."

Just then Koji's eyes lit up with wonder.

Again, Kaito murmured to Keisuke.

Kaito- "That explains the first name thing haha. That's thrilling!"

Koji- "No way dude! Are you for real? You gotta tell me! Do you have family there? Have you ever been? What's it like?!"

Ky- "Uh, once when I was really little, although I don't remember much of it. 

Ayako- "Koji's obsessed with the California skate scene. He says he wants to go pro and move there after he finishes college."

Koji- "Oh I'm gonna! You just wait and see!"

Leah- "That's awesome. What state is she from do you know?"

Ky- "I don't remember. But next time I see here I'll ask."

Ayako looked over at Ky with a gentle smile on her face. 

Keisuke- "Oh by the way. Ayako, we got that venue we wanted. My band will be playing there next weekend. Let me know if you wanna come out and see us, I'll get you in.

Ayako- "No way! Thats so awesome. For sure I'd love to come see you guys!"

Kasumi- "What kind of music do you listen to Ky?"

Ky- "Me? Well, I mean I guess I just kind of listen to whatever's playing in the store. 

Kasumi- "Oh. Ok well that's cool I guess."

Kaito- "Ey! You know what I just realized? This dudes already one of us! 

Ky snaped his head over in Kaito's direction and screamed out in his mind.

Ky- "What did he just say?!"

Kaito- "I'm sorry Ayako but it looks like you and Leah are still the only ones whose names don't start with a K hahahahaha.

Ayako- "Oh wow! You gotta be kidding me! I didn't even think about that. I swear I didn't plan that one, ok? 

The whole crowd started laughing. Even Ky almost cracked a smile although he still didn't quite understand why. When the laughter settled down Kasumi scooted closer to Ayako and gave her a playful smirk and asked her quietly.

Kasumi- "So, how long have you and Ky been talking hmm?"

Ayako- "Oh, well about... Hey wait a minute! No! It's not like that I swear. We just work next to each other that's all. I literally see him every day when I go into work and he's actually the only helpful employee at his store."

Kasumi- "Oh. Well, that's kind of cold."

Ayako frantically responded.

Ayako- "No. I didn't mean it like that. What I meant was."

Kasumi- "(Giggle) Relax! I'm just messing with you. I knew what you meant. But there's really nothing going on between you two at all?"

Ayako- "No not at the moment."

Kasumi- "Ahh! Ok."

Koji- "So Ky are you in school too or do you work full time?"

Ky- "No, I work full time."

Ayako- "Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, Kaito and Keisuke go to the same college as my brother. They've known each other since they were little."

Ky- "Oh ok."

Keisuke- "Yeah. You have to have known him forever to be able to put up with this guy."

Keisuke said jokingly as he nudged Kaito with his elbow.

Kaito- "Ey man! Hahahaha!"

Ayako- "I'm gonna go grab another drink. Ky, it looks like your done with yours. Can I grab you another?

Ky- "Oh, um sure. Thank you."

Ayako walked back to the bar once again to go grab another drink for her and Ky.

Koji- "Oh wait sis!"

Ayako- "I'm already on it!"

Koji- "Thank you!"

Ky sat awkwardly in his seat again awaiting Ayako's return however it wasn't as long this time before she set another drink on the table in front of him.

Ky- "Thanks."

Ky took a drink out of the glass Ayako handed him only this time his sip was a little larger than the last ones were. A few moments later Ayako noticed that Ky's cup was once again empty. She stood up and reached over to grab it when he placed his hand gently over hers. 

Ky- "Let me get 'em this time."

Ayako's face turned a light shade of red. As soon as Ky realized what he was doing he quickly snapped his hand back.

Ky- "Oh! No I..."

Ayako giggled for a second which turned into full blown laughter.

Ayako- "Ok. Yeah, go ahead. Hahahahaha."

Ky slinked away feeling incredibly awkward. Upon his return he noticed that everyone else seemed to be having a really great time. The atmosphere was cheerful and light and not a single face at the table was missing a smile. He sat down and started drinking his third drink more vigorously than before. 

Koji- "Man! I'm just so ready for this semester to be over! I can't wait to be done with college!"

Kaito- "You said it birthday dude."

Ky- "So what is it you guys are studying?"

Ky asked them after taking another big drink of his beer. 

Keisuke- "I'm studying music history, and Kaito's in the trades program."

Kaito- "Yeah, I'm hoping to go into woodworking when I get out."

Kasumi- "What made you want to go into wood working?"

Kaito- "I like the art. I wanna make cabinets and furniture and stuff like that."

Kasumi- "That's not art!"

Kaito- "Sure it is babe."

Kasumi- "Ugh! I told you not to call me that!"

Ky- "Anything someone finds beautiful can be considered art. Especially when they've put their whole heart and soul into it."

Kaito- "Exactly."

Kaito made his snapping motion again.

Ayako gazed over at Ky. As the night progressed, many more drinks were ordered, and tons of laughs were shared. At the end of it there was only their group and a few others left in the bar and it was time for everyone to start getting ready to clear out and go home. 

Koji- "Well everyone, it's been real but me and Leah gotta get back to the dorm. I'm getting pretty tired."

Koji said excitedly with a grin.

Kasumi-"Ooh, well don't have too much fun tonight."

Leah- "Haha oh don't worry. I promise nothing like that is happening when we get back."

Koji got a sad look on his face.

Koji- "Oh."

Ayako- "Well Ky are you ready?"

Ky- "Yeah I better be getting back too."

Keisuke- "Oh hold up a second Ky. Here let me get your number so we can chill some time."

Ky- "Chill?" 

Ky thought to himself.

Kaito- "Yo me too. I'll hit you up sometime. You skate?"

Ky- "No."

Kasumi- "Here's my number. Don't lose it now. Kasumi said with a wink."

Leah gave Ky her number as well and politely said to him.

Leah- "It was nice meeting you Ky. Welcome to the family."

Koji- "Wait what about me?"

Ky got that familiar feeling like he had been through this once before. By the time everyone went their separate ways for the night, Ky and the others had all shared their numbers and his contact list instantly grew by four. As he walked alone on the dimly lit sidewalk, he turned the corner and stopped in front of his apartment building. With his head down he asked himself aloud.

Ky- "Is this right?"

Once he was certain there was no one around he started sobbing gently. The moment held so much gravity that he could no longer keep it contained. With tears still running down his face he walked up the stairs and into his apartment building. He threw his things down onto the counter and went straight over to his bed where he flopped down and passed out for the night. That night Ky slept peacefully. His dreams were pleasant, and his sleep was uninterrupted. The computer fan in the apartment continued to whir.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0