Wanderlust 2.1
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The class ended hours after the teacher's demonstration of her power level. The day went on after that with an activity where they had to write their path for the future. A lot of them all aim to learn all aspects of power. Some want to get their dream spirit beast. One said he wants to learn more about defensive weapons, such as shielding their allies in battle. Ford said he wants to be the most powerful Ice Mage in history, to which Eigh replied, "typical."

And what was shocking was Eigh's. She said she wants to become a scholar. Her classmates were shocked, and some even looked down at her. Why? Scholars are typically the alleged "failures.". They focus more on knowing the science side of things than really doing it practically. It isn't that it's bad since most of the best war directors came from the line of scholars. But, of course, they are just the cream of the crop.

However, nobody really expressed it since they were worried about getting hit by her. They were no Ford after all; they can die; Ford seems cannot.

After that, the teacher gave them a list of things they had to bring on their trip to the Veil. It was the typical first aid and starter packs that they needed, such as gauzes, ointments, thick clothing, and other basic stuff. Their food is already provided by the school for their whole stay, as are the tents to rest in.

Eigh was engrossed in her reading since there's nothing to do anymore. The teacher was just burning time by repeating things she had already mentioned more than twice.

For some reason, she also found peace at the moment, watching the cold wind rustle the tall trees. Watching those green leaves fly through the air, dancing. She looked around the class, and everyone was doing their thing quietly. Some were chitchatting, but respectful enough to just whisper around and not disturb someone else with their noise. And then she wondered,

"I wonder how long before this peace will last?" But she then threw that question out of her head when she saw her seatmate sleeping like a log. Ford with his mouth wide open. She wished that an insect would go inside his mouth, but she felt pity for that insect.

"Maybe once he wakes up, this peace will be gone for sure."

Ford then snored, followed by being choked by something. He coughed several times and looked around. And lastly, he continued his sleep with his mouth wide open again.

Eigh watched everything unfold. But she just looked at him with no little ounce of emotion. She thought, "Pity, he didn't die."

She then continued to watch everything outside.

'I wonder how the plants, trees, and other life in this place survive? Is it really just luck from the tribe leader? Does the mountain really have a treasure that we were blessed with? I wonder what it is.'

"What does the future hold?"

While she was in her deep thoughts, the school bell rang, waking her up in her stupor. The ringing also startled Ford, who was sleeping next to her.

"MmMMmmMm. Eigh, where am I?" He asked and looked around.

"We are in school, dumbass," Eigh answered while fixing her bag and packing them up to leave and go back home to rest. Maybe she read more stuff once she got home.

"School? But I just woke up. Anyways, good morning." He wiped his drool with the sleeve. "Wait, I'll be back. I'll just wash my face."

She just nodded but stayed, but she was lying. There is no way she's going to wait for her and let him follow her around again to their house. She could imagine her parents inviting him in. Her parents trusted him so much that she was able to leave the house in his name and explore whatever she wanted. Even though she acted like that towards him, she knows he's a genuine person. How many times did he protect her from bullies and bring her home when she got lost every time she wandered off? She is, in fact, very thankful to her; he just doesn't like his energy and how he destroys her peace when he's around.

As she picked up her sling bag's strap around her shoulder, one of her classmates called out to her.

"Eigh, you're going home?" His gesture and tone weren't just a normal question. He was acting like he was catching a burglar redhanded.

Eigh wondered why her classmate asked her that way. "Yy.. yeah? Is there a problem?" She positioned herself in the middle of the two chairs for an easy escape when she decided to run out fast.

The kid smiled cheekily, "Nothing really; I thought you're joining the group at the market place. There was a plan earlier to buy our things."

"Things?" she asked again. Racking her brains, is she having a short-term memory for forgetting such a decision she made? For all she knew, she would prefer to stay at home and do what she wanted.

"Yeah. I know it's a bother. I actually wanted to run away as well. I'd rather play at home and spend my remaining childhood." He smiled wrilly. He knew that once he got lucky enough to get enlightenment, he had to start his training so as not to get behind the mob. He had to go all out with the opportunity he was given. He can also get his other related profession to it if he wasn't lucky enough to be a powerful fighter.

Eigh felt his classmate's emotion. He is right. Getting enlightenment is not your normal price that can cheat you out of your problems; it is also a price to pay. The power comes with a responsibility that can't be disregarded; not only will you be living in guilt, but you will also be branded as selfish for not using your power to protect your home or those weak around you. To break the ice, Eigh changed the topic and brought it back to the earlier topic.

"Hmmm... Anyways, when was this planned?" She really can't remember when she agreed to it.

"earlier after discussion?"

"I don't really remember; did I really say I'm going?" She racked her brain over again, but her memory was still blank. 'Was I sleep talking? '

" Hmm N-" her classmate was about to answer, but her words were cut short by another voice.

"I told them we were going." The one who just woke up came back with his face still wet.

"What?? Why did you not ask for my consent?" Eigh asked.

"Well, you were busy reading. I didn't want to bother you." Ford picked up his backpack and carried it to his back. "When are we going, by the way?"

"Right away, I think? After we packed our bags, they planned to go to the stop together."

"Alright, we'll be at the back." Ford held the strap of Eigh's bag as a signal that Ford would be carrying it for her.

Eigh knew that if she gave it to him, it just meant that she'd be joining the group reluctantly. For a sec, she tried to pull it back, but Ford's grip was too strong for her to fight back. 'alright.'

She loosened her grip, and Ford picked it up onto his shoulder.

When everyone started to go out of the room, Ford followed at their backs with Eigh at his tow.

Eigh could only sigh yet again. She felt like she was being pushed over again and again by this person in front of her. But their friendship isn't too short for her to not understand what he has in mind. She may not know the real reason why, but Ford won't do something like this. But of course, there are times that Ford was like this with no reason at all.

"Mr. All brute, you're making decisions for myself again. Are you my parent?" she chided.

"I thought you wanted to go to the central market," he said with a questioning gaze.

"Huh? When did I say that?" She thought about it to find an answer for herself. But with every conversation they had recently, she doesn't remember a single time they talked about it.

"Not actually you, but it was Aunt and Uncle. They told me that you wanted to go to the central market." They slowly walked around the pathway, watching the other students go to their respective destinations. Some went to the field to do their workouts, some did their sports, some went to the cafeteria, and some were just chilling under the shade of the tree reading their materials.

Eigh then remembered when she asked her parents if they could go to the central park because she wanted to buy something. But in reality, her real plan was for them to go out together and have family time like the old days. She missed the days when their whole family went out almost weekly every weekend when everyone had no job to attend to. She knew that it was impossible to bring back the past anymore, especially since she knew why they were busy to begin with. She was also the reason why they were working hard on their work. She won't be able to change their minds.

They finally reached the stop, waiting for the carriage to come and board it. "Thank you," Eigh said.

"You're welcome. Don't worry, just enjoy the trip," Ford replied. He also remembered the words that they said when they asked him a favor. "Always take care of him, son. Can I trust you?" Eigh's father said.

"I know you can't protect Eigh forever, Ford. But I hope, as long as you can, please protect her while she's on your side."

Both questions were met with affirmation. He even promised himself that he would try his best. He knows that he wasn't as bright as Eigh is, but he knows how serious the promise was.

0