Wanderlust 3.5
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While they were waiting for it, something under the frozen lake appeared.

It was like a lacque that was emitting light as it swam around from the deepest part of the lake. It swam in circles, and slowly, its shape became more distinguishable. Its outline was more concrete, as was its size.

Everyone who saw this was amazed by it. Some were fascinated by its unique ability to emit light in such darkness; they were like the Lilis, who seemed like a little fireball floating in the night.

But for some reason, the size of it became bigger and bigger. The earlier size was just one's perception of something that was far away. This creature was swimming from the depths of the lake and slowly ascending towards the frozen lake surface.

A minute had past; the creature was still ascending, and its size was already the size of a house.

The kids started to shake and question that giant thing that was coming towards them.

"Shouldn't we run?"

"That thing's going to eat us, for sure."

"We better run."

Other people that had a clue what it was tried to calm them down, "don't worry. They are safe."

But there are some, of course, who use this to make fun of others.

"Did you kind of know why we brought you here?" said one of the professors there.

"Wh... why?" one of that professor's students asked.

"Because we will use all of them as tribute to them. They. Will. Eat. You. Alive." he answered menacingly.

The victim lost his blood after hearing the answer. A couple of kids sat flat on the ground after hearing what had been said.

The reason they came here was to start their life adventure, to find their power, but if they will just die here as tribute, the said purpose was just a lie.

Then suddenly, the creature finally reached the surface. They could see the outline of its jaw opening. It's mouth was so big that the whole exhibition could be eaten whole.

"IT'S HIGANTING, EVERYONE RUN!!"

One of the scholars shouted. After hearing it, everyone who didn't know what was up ran out of the frozen lake surface. Including Eigh, Ford and their group all ran out.

All of them never saw Higanting in their entire lives, but that name and that creature were known for their stories and folklore. Higanting was like the Midnight Forest in terms of scary stories to make some kids behave. It was said the Higanting was a fish that was big. So big that it could rival the size of the tribe leaders's manor. For them to see it personally, they felt they were at death's door.

When it finally reached the frozen surface, it suddenly spread out, sparkling like Lilis in the night, like stars in the night sky.

Those who stayed in the lake looked at the helpless kids and a minority of older ones and laughed.

"Kids, come! The lake guide had appeared. It was just a prank. Come on," Taw't Umbra said to her students.

One by one, they picked themselves up and walked back towards the lake. There were still questions on their minds, but the beauty of the sparkling creatures made them calm down and trust their beauty.

"I'm sorry about those kids. I promised during my first time here that I would never tell this part of the expedition to the next generation. This had been the tradition since the start of our tribe. The ancestors said that the first tribe leader used this to prank his people when they were going to the veil, and so even after his time, this tradition continued as those Lake Guides still honor their promise that they would help the safe passage of the tribe towards the mountain." Taw't Umbra explained the existence of the beautiful creature to them.

Ford wiped the surface of the lake to see the creatures more clearly. Then he looked up in the sky and saw the same thing; the difference is that the one in the night sky was almosy static, and the one under the ice surface was kids playing around.

Eigh watched them, and even her impenetrable façade got affected by it. She was smiling. She traced her fingers on the surface as the creature followed.

"Teacher, what are they?" Eigh asked.

"They're called Tu'in. A spirit beast that can be found in any big and deep water bodies. Their name came from the word in our local language Ba Tu'in, the fire in the sky. My grandfather said that the lake guide was the spirit beast of the first tribe leader. They're relationship was a very close one to the point that even after he died, they decided to live in this lake and be the Guardian of safe passage. Countless tribulation happened, but with them being our guide, we always get through it.

Some said they live by his consciousness; his care for the tribe lives on: 'Our tribe will never lose to anyone, Arup! ' like he always says."

"I see." She continued to trace and play with them." If they live by his consciousness or into his likes, I assume he's playful like them too. The prank is welcome to the newcomers as a proof of it."

The other kids saw what Eigh was doing, and they did it as well as they saw it as fun to do. They didn't bother listening to the conversation and just satisfied their amazement.

"Now that you say that, that makes sense. Maybe you are right. Tu'ins are not just there to guide us; they are here to protect us as well."

On the other side of the expedition, there was Alohim, who was kneeling and touching the surface with his right hand. He didn't really want to do this again.

'Can't anyone else do this? ' he thought.

This was one of the hated parts of his job; if only he could only delegate the job to somebody else, he would've done it already.

His hand was surging with waves of his ice power towards the Tu'in. This was their way to communicate with them.

As if being summoned, a group of Tu'in formed into a figure of a childlike person standing, garbed in traditional Taw't clothing.

"Esteemed Lake Guide, as the current leader of this tribe, we implore your guidance. Just like the previous times, we hope you lead us to the correct path."

The figure looked at him; even though its face was featureless, he could feel its gaze looking at him from head to toe. Not only that, Alohim could hear a sigh that only he could perceive. Their conversation would only happen through telepathy, which was favorable for him; the other people around him would not hear how the conversation would go.

"You again?" A voice spoke directly to his head. The words came from the figure. He could hear disappointment in its voice. Alohim really hates this guide.

"Yes, it's been... a year. It's nice to see you," he said calmly, trying to get to his graces.

"I'm hoping I could say the same to you," the figure said. "What is your name again, stranger?"

"It is Al'him."

"Ohh. Alright, stranger. I don't really like having chitchat with you, so I would make this quick for myself." The figure dusted its sleeves.

"Am I going to see you again next year?"

Al'him felt his head ache from that question. It wasn't the first time the figure asked him that. It was asked every year, ever since his tenure as the leader of the tribe.

When the elders briefed him in regards to how the conversation usually goes, they said that the usual topic it goes on is that the learners tell some highlight stories during the whole year. But in his case, that never happened. He remembered that in their first meeting, that exact question was asked of him. It's his third year of tenure, and this is the third time he has heard those frustrating words.

"Yes."

"When will you be gone?"

This question, on the other hand, was new. Shorter than the previous one, but it hurts more of his pride.

The question was answered in silence. Alohim knew that even if he was a powerful man, he would never be able to stand a chance against them all.

"Haaa.. boring. I don't like you, you know that. But I understand that you are the most worthy of that position as of now. There is no other Taw't in the living who is more able to protect what Primo had left. Even though you did something so scrupulous to achieve that position, I can see in your dark heart that you do care for the tribe, and you will always put the interests of the tribe at priority. I thank you for that. Don't worry, if you need my help protecting the land, I'm always here. I hope, the day will not come that you will not accept your defeat or else, I'll be dragging you to the depths of abyss."

"Thank you. I promise that I will protect the tribe," he answered. But he failed to mention a thing about the latter part.

The figure disappeared, and the Tu'ins spread around.

They started to emit much brighter light. The job of the guide has started. When Alohim saw this, he stood up and shouted, "ARUPPPPPPPP!"

Everyone heard this and readied themselves.

"Onward."

0