Chapter 27: The Dragonewt’s Origins (The Vampire and Klare’s Date Part 2)
55 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6 Years Ago

My name is Klare Brood. I'm a dragonewt, which means I'm half dragon, half human. My mother, Lois, and I don't live a luxurious life, but we have each other. I lost my other parent before I was born, so it's just been the two of us. We live in a small shack on the east side of town, where the locals keep their distance from us because of my dragon blood.

Despite our humble living conditions, my mother is the strongest person I know. She works long hours at the local inn, and even though she's tired when she gets home, she always has time to play with me and tell me stories of my father.

One day, my mother introduced me to her new friend, Emilia. Emilia was kind and had a warm smile that made me feel at ease. As we chatted, I couldn't help but notice how happy my mother looked around her.

"Do you love my Mama?" I asked Emilia bluntly, curious about the dynamic between the two.

My Mama blushed, and I regretted the question as soon as I saw her reaction. "Kla...Klare!" she scolded me.

Emilia chuckled. "You're a smart girl, Klare. Yes, I do love your Mama, and I want to ask her to marry me. But I need your permission first. Is that okay?"

I wasn't sure how to feel about Emilia at first, but when I saw how happy she made my Mama, I knew I had to support her. "It's okay, welcome to the family, Emilia."

The following months were filled with wedding preparations, and for the first time in a long while, my mother and I felt like we were part of something bigger. However, as the wedding approached, I started to feel uneasy. What would happen to us if Emilia left us like my father had?

"Mama, are you happy?" I asked Mama, looking at her with a serious expression.

"Yes, I am more than I have been for a long time," she answered with a smile.

I wasn't entirely convinced, but I wanted to trust my mother's judgment. "Okay, I'm happy for you."

On the day of the wedding, we all gathered at the local chapel. My mother was glowing in her wedding dress, and Emilia was beaming with joy. They exchanged vows, and we all cheered as they kissed.

"We did it, we're married!" Mama exclaimed, hugging me and Emilia tightly.

"Thank you for taking care of us, Emilia," I said, giving her a shy smile.

"Thank you for taking me in. I promise I will keep you and your mother happy," Emilia said, smiling back at me.

Emilia kept her promise of taking care of us for two years until that day.

2 Years Later

"I hope Mama likes the meal we picked out for her from Mrs. Long's inn. She's been feeling sick lately," I said, feeling worried as we walked back to our little shack.

"I'm sure she will. She's eating for two, after all," Emilia said with a knowing grin.

"You mean I'm going to be a big sister!" I shouted, overjoyed at the thought.

"Yes, you are. I'm glad to see that makes you happy. Now let's hurry and get this food to your mother," Emilia said, ruffling my hair.

As we approached our home, Emilia stopped in front of the door and turned to face me. "Listen to me, Klare. Very quietly, turn around and run. Run as fast as you can and don't turn back."

"Why? What's wrong? You're scaring me. What's wrong with my Mama?" I asked, feeling a knot form in my stomach.

Emilia's face grew serious as she whispered urgently, "I don't have time to explain, but someone's in our house. They're dangerous and they're after us. We have to go now."

My heart pounding, I took a step back towards the door. "What about Mama?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"I'll take care of her. You have to run, Klare. Run as fast as you can and don't look back," Emilia said, her eyes locking onto mine with fierce determination.

Suddenly, a gruff voice interrupted us from inside the house. "Who's there? It seems this bitch’s family is finally back! Grab them now!"

Panic surged through me as I realized the danger we were in. Without hesitation, Emilia pushed me away from the door and towards the back of the house. I could hear the sound of footsteps getting closer and a gruff voice shouting from inside the house. "Run, Klare! Run!" Emilia screamed, her voice echoing in my ears as I ran through the streets of the slums.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I ran as fast as I could, trying to find a place to hide. "Help! Someone please help us!" I screamed, hoping that someone would hear me and come to our aid. But the streets were empty, and there was no one around to help.

I ran for what felt like hours, until I finally tripped into a pothole and fell to the ground. As I tried to get up, I felt someone grab me from behind. I turned around to see a smarmy-looking man grinning at me.

"Look here, seems I caught me a little half-dragon girl," he said, his voice dripping with malice. "You will make for a good soldier. You know, given your heritage and all."

I tried to fight him off, but he was too strong for me. "Let me go! I have to find help for my Mama!" I screamed.

The man laughed. "Don't you know? Your Mama and that other woman are dead. If you hadn't run, they would still be alive. But we were only after you. One of our scouts saw you using combination magic, and we knew we could use you. So quit your fighting, or we will hurt more people you care about. Maybe that family that feeds you."

I felt my heart sink at his words. "It's all my fault, my Mama, Emilia, they're gone because of me. Please don't hurt anyone else. I will do as you say. I promise," I said, giving in before I started crying for my mothers.

"That's better," the man said, before putting a collar around my neck and laughing maniacally. "We will be training you for three months before we go after our main goal, the Princess of the Vamper Kingdom, Lily Vamper."

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine as I realized the full extent of what was happening. I was now a prisoner, forced to do the bidding of these cruel and heartless people. But I knew that I had to find a way to escape, to find a way to save myself and warn the royal family.

3