Chapter 1 : Autism
493 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Qing Shan, a sanatorium with a serene environment full of the feeling of birdsong and blossoms.

In a slightly dim room due to most of the curtains being drawn, a pale and handsome teenage boy was engrossed in solving a puzzle.

Not the usual children's toy, but a puzzle consisting of a thousand pieces, more suited for adults to "play" with.

However, the boy's way of playing seemed somewhat different from most people.

All the puzzle pieces were face down, except for the edges, which looked exactly the same.

Nevertheless, the boy was quite interested and skillfully pieced it together. He was almost done, only a few pieces remained.

The boy's name was Bai Ye. He had various disorders such as autism and mild schizophrenia, making him a "senior" patient in this sanatorium.

At the age of five, Bai Ye inexplicably gained something in his mind—a staff of power and wealth.

Consequently, the once ordinary child Bai Ye became a problematic one.

After a few years, hopeless to treat and due to various reasons, he ended up in this sanatorium.

This wasn't an ordinary institution; the residents here, like Bai Ye, had various mental issues.

Some severe, others mild enough not to be classified as illnesses.

The institution didn't accept severely ill patients. Despite its high cost, the patients received good care, much better than in mental hospitals.

Bai Ye, now eighteen, spent almost thirteen years here. Half a year ago, he finally became the "user" of this staff, breaking free from his hazy state, gradually recovering to be more like a normal person.

However, this normalcy was relative; it couldn't be expected for someone detached from society for over a decade to transform into a completely normal person through study and rehabilitation in a short time.

But at least now Bai Ye had no trouble communicating with others, could talk and laugh, and had no barriers in reading and writing, at least at a junior high school level.

He was considered a major success story in the sanatorium's rehabilitation.

Thirteen years of a "mental illness" career couldn't be without rewards.

Bai Ye became the lowest-level user of the staff.

Even as the lowest-level user, Bai Ye acquired a few extremely special "abilities."

Firstly, there was the ability to trade, or rather, trade permissions.

As a first-level user of the staff, Bai Ye could engage in three recognised trades within twenty-four standard hours with anyone.

Additionally, he could perform one compulsory trade, forcibly completing it regardless of the other party's acknowledgement—a transaction executed based on the extent of the price Bai Ye paid.

Regarding compulsory trades, it was akin to forcing the deal upon the other party, eliminating the consideration process. Bai Ye only needed to symbolically offer a minimal reward.

The second ability Bai Ye could exercise was teleportation. Not akin to Doraemon's "Anywhere Door" kind of teleportation, but the power to transport himself to other worlds.

This fact proved that the staff didn't hail from Earth but from other worlds.

"Black, check my current status."

Spread out in his hand, a meter-long, black staff with intricate black patterns, emitting a mysterious aura, hovered above Bai Ye's palm as he softly spoke.

Black—after thirteen years of "adaptation," following Bai Ye becoming a user, the best auxiliary system was born according to the current situation to "use" the staff.

If the staff were likened to a complex electrical appliance, then Black was its user manual. Both were equally high-end.

"Yes."

Black's voice was cold and mechanical, devoid of any emotion. Simultaneously, information appeared before Bai Ye's eyes—

[Bai Ye 

Race: Human

Status: First-level user of the Staff of Wealth and Power

Wealth and Power Value: 0]

The so-called Wealth and Power Value was crucial for Bai Ye to further control the staff. To gain Wealth and Power Value, he needed to trade continuously for profits. 

Only by doing so could he ascend from a first-level user to truly become the master of the Staff of Wealth and Power, transitioning from serving it to controlling it.

This constituted the basic situation; deeper insights about the Staff of Wealth and Power were currently unknown to Bai Ye.

With the palm closed again, the staff disappeared, and Bai Ye stood up, stretched lazily, opened the room door, and walked out.

Bai Ye resided in the living quarters of the sanatorium.

Consisting of ten floors, the ground floor was the lobby, the second floor was the dining hall, and the upper floors were accommodations.

Each floor had ten comfortable rooms for patients like Bai Ye, equipped with various facilities, located on the north and south sides, with an elevator in the middle.

At present, there were over fifty patients in the sanatorium, with over twenty rooms vacant.

As a genuine senior resident, Bai Ye resided on the topmost tenth floor, being the sole occupant of the entire floor.

Taking the elevator to the second floor, many people were already having dinner in the dining hall.

Among them were patients, sanatorium staff, and one or two family members visiting patients.

Approaching the counter and ordering a meal, Bai Ye walked to a nearby small table and sat down. Soon, someone served the freshly cooked food.

Given the high cost of the sanatorium, it wasn't like having cafeteria meals.

Bai Ye absentmindedly stuffed the delicious food into his mouth. Shortly after, someone sat in front of him.

It wasn't a fellow patient but a doctor from the sanatorium, a young and beautiful woman clad in a white coat.

Even without any makeup and deliberately sporting nerdy glasses, her face still radiated a stunning charm.

"Bai Ye, how have you been feeling lately?" The female doctor asked directly after sitting down.

A year ago, Song Yin became a doctor at this sanatorium and, with her unwavering confidence, took on Bai Ye, the "stubborn case," at the institution.

At that time, other doctors at the sanatorium were waiting to see the joke of this young and beautiful girl.

Unexpectedly, after Song Yin's prolonged treatment, Bai Ye gradually recovered. Consequently, Song Yin firmly established herself in the sanatorium.

Coupled with her remarkable skills, Song Yin had become a star doctor at the institution. Many patients and their families came specifically for her.

Song Yin's emotions and attitude towards Bai Ye were also slightly different, at least more intimate than with ordinary patients.

"Pretty good." Bai Ye glanced at Song Yin and continued eating his meal.

Song Yin's brow slightly furrowed and then relaxed. Smiling lightly, she asked, "Have you contacted your family recently? Any plans on when to leave the institution?"

Swallowing the last bite of his meal, Bai Ye looked at Song Yin strangely. "Why should I leave?"

Song Yin blinked, remained silent for a while, and then asked, "You like it here, don't you? Don't you plan to leave?"

"Yes." Bai Ye nodded naturally. "This place is good. If I leave, I'll have to work to support myself. I've read books."

"...Isn't working to support yourself a good thing?" Song Yin said, "It's a necessary path for everyone's growth."

"Heh." Bai Ye chuckled softly. "It's impossible to work, not in this lifetime."

Song Yin sighed lightly, suddenly realizing that

despite helping Bai Ye overcome his identity as an "autistic child" and even making him indistinguishable from an ordinary person for a time, his long-term lack of interaction with the outside world seemed to lead him towards another, less normal, path.

"Do you really like it here?" Song Yin asked, trying to figure out what Bai Ye was thinking.

"Of course. Everyone here is talented, with good temperaments and pleasant to talk to." Bai Ye smiled, then turned to a middle-aged man eating at another table and called out, "Luo Wang, you baldy."

The man-eating on the other side slammed down his chopsticks, looking furious, about to stand up and confront Bai Ye.

But suddenly, as if remembering something, he shook his head, murmured a few self-soothing words, and smiled at Bai Ye, "Bai Ye, it's not right to speak like that. Even if you're good-looking, you'll get beaten up for talking like that."

Bai Ye nodded, then turned back to Song Yin. "You see?"

Song Yin clenched her right hand on the table unconsciously, resisting the urge to smash the meal onto Bai Ye's head.

This Luo Wang suffered from manic depression. After considerable treatment progress, he seemed to regress due to Bai Ye's ridiculous behaviour.

Fortunately, Song Yin was a doctor with professional ethics, so she could only maintain an "I'm furious but still smiling" demeanour, saying to Bai Ye, "Since you're not planning to leave, then stay a while longer." With that, she stood up and quickly left.

Speaking of which, Song Yin had a good heart. This Qing Shan Sanatorium wasn't a non-profit welfare organization.

As long as the money was sufficient, they would let Bai Ye stay until the sanatorium closed or until he passed away. Bai Ye's family consistently provided ample funds.

Watching Song Yin, who seemed a little unsteady, leave, Bai Ye also stood up, walked to the elevator, and leisurely went upstairs.

Back in his room, Bai Ye locked the door, changed into a pair of sneakers, stretched his body, and said, "Teleport."

Bai Ye's body instantly blurred and disappeared from the room.

______________________

A/N- A really fun fast paced story. His name changes soon don't worry. Chapters are also long unlike usual Chinese novels. I've removed any kind of racism or brainrot so enjoy the novel.

Update Schedule will be 1 Chapter a day.

 

Advanced Chapters- Patreon.com/SkyImmortal

9