Chapter 17: I Read Books
70 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the cabin of the cruise ship, Adrian sat on the boat, conversing with Black.

Among the two transactions at the asylum, Adrian received a total of 110 points of wealth value. Through the forced transaction with the security team leader, he obtained 10 points of wealth value.

As for the deal with Bain, it was to obtain 100 points of wealth value.

However, the transaction with Bain was slightly different. It wasn't a one-off deal but had subsequent effects.

When Adrian felt that the transaction with Bain was too cunning to obtain 100 points of wealth value, Black explained.

Even when Bain joined Adrian's research laboratory and both sides collaborated in researching the Titan potion, Adrian could still obtain a certain amount of wealth value from this transaction.

This was equivalent to a long-term cooperative transaction, and obtaining wealth value was also relatively "long-term."

As for how much he would ultimately obtain, it depended on the situation.

In any case, Adrian now possessed 1662 points of wealth value, making a 1.1% progress towards the milestone of ten thousand points.

After confirming the possibility of future returns, Adrian's stay in Gotham City also reached 24 hours.

Second-level proxies could stay for 48 hours in other worlds, with the option to choose to leave at the 12th and 24th hours, but they couldn't leave at the 36th hour.

Currently, Adrian could choose to continue staying for 24 hours or directly leave Gotham City and return to the main world.

Adrian chose not to continue staying. Even though his "career" in Gotham City had just started, as the owner of the laboratory, Adrian should have stayed to oversee it.

But don't forget, whether it was the deal with the Penguin or with Bain, they were not ordinary deals; they were transactions completed through the Wand of Wealth.

Thus, Adrian wasn't worried at all that they would do anything detrimental to him.

Although the content of the transactions seemed simple and full of loopholes, having the Wand of Wealth as a guarantee meant trying to exploit these would only bring misfortune upon oneself or, in fact, would not even give rise to such thoughts.

Everyone was trading as if they were entirely legal, kind, honest, and trustworthy merchants.

Instead of staying here and meddling in the affairs of the Penguin, Bain, and others, it was better to simply hand everything over to them to handle.

As the "big shots" of Gotham City, the Penguin and Bain would certainly not disappoint Adrian.

Leaving some spring water from the Pool of Lazarus as research material and leaving a note saying, "I'm leaving first, I'll come find you later," Adrian decisively chose to return to his main world.

The 24th hour arrived, providing a small buffer time to decide whether to return. About a minute was enough for Adrian to leave the note.

"It's happening again, just like last time."

When Adrian's disappearance was noticed, it was already the next morning. The Penguin complained to Bain, "This kid is not as simple as he looks."

"He's going to become a good magician," Bain said, picking up the Pool of Lazarus from the table, causing the Penguin to envy.

However, the Penguin was only envious, absolutely not foolish enough to make a move to snatch it.

Not to mention, Bain's subordinates had already boarded the ship. Even if it was just Bain alone, he could easily fight his way out of any situation. By then, the Penguin would probably have one more deadly enemy.

As someone who valued interests and was more of a businessman, the Penguin would definitely not make a move that would bring more harm than benefit.

When Adrian left, Batman also returned from the Arkham Asylum to his Wayne Manor.

Removing the helmet mask, Bruce's face was not a pleasant sight.

"Sir, how's it going over there?" Alfred asked.

"Not good," Bruce said. "I didn't expect that the one who escaped from Arkham Asylum would be Bain."

"Bain?" Alfred was surprised. "Shouldn't he be in the Blackgate Penitentiary? I remember a few months ago..."

"Yes, I personally sent him to the prison."

Bruce operated the computer and displayed a screenshot captured by the Arkham Asylum surveillance monitor.

In the footage, Bain was rampaging like a tank, using the most violent means to escape from Arkham Asylum.

"Who is this person..." Alfred pointed at the young man on Bain's shoulder in the footage.

The surveillance quality of Arkham Asylum wasn't great, still in black and white. Alfred couldn't recognize Adrian for a moment.

Of course, Bruce had already identified him. He enlarged the image and made some adjustments. That not-so-clear face was undoubtedly the young man he had investigated but found nothing about.

"Oh, this is..." Alfred said, "It's unfortunate news. It seems that Gotham City might have gained another dangerous character."

"He won't. He can't," Bruce said in a deep voice.

Unaware that he was already under Batman's watch, Adrian naturally wouldn't be surprised even if he found out.

However, even if he were under scrutiny, Adrian wouldn't be surprised.

To survive in Gotham City, dealing with Batman was indispensable, an unavoidable "procedure."

Given the opportunity, Adrian wanted to make a deal with Batman. He was quite interested in Batman's incredibly cool Batmobile. He wondered how much money it would take to buy such a big toy.

...

After freshening up a bit, Bai Ye lay on the soft bed, contemplating that he should leave the sanatorium.

Previously, he didn't leave because there was no more suitable place – although the people here spoke well, they were all talented.

But now, Bai Ye was his own boss, the master of the universe's first transcendent civilization trading pavilion. He had a destination, so there was no need to continue staying at the sanatorium.

Eight days flew by.

The single apartment on the second floor of the trading pavilion was already fully furnished, and downstairs, the storefront was supposed to resemble a convenience store, quite simple, and was set up three days ago.

As long as Bai Ye arrived, in fact, the store could be opened. Of course, even if it opened late or didn't open at all, it wouldn't matter.

During these eight days, Bai Ye did not go back to Gotham City. He simply spent time at the sanatorium, sorting some things out. Tomorrow, he would officially leave and go to his "The First Cosmic Interdimensional Civilization Trading Pavilion."

There, he would replace the sanatorium and become Bai Ye's new home.

Then, Bai Ye could stay in Gotham City for a full 48 hours without any concerns.

If he stayed in the sanatorium and was in the room for 48 hours without anyone showing up, it would definitely cause incidents like banging on the door.

The next day, when it was bright outside.

Bai Ye's room was lively. Besides Song Yin, there were many medical staff and fellow patients who came to bid him farewell. Everyone congratulated Bai Ye on successfully leaving and hoped that he would work hard outside and not embarrass their sanatorium.

Hmm—The last blessing came from those patients

who probably wouldn't leave this place in their lifetime.

After the commotion, everyone dispersed, leaving only Song Yin behind. Bai Ye had indeed been discharged, but Song Yin, as Bai Ye's attending physician, hadn't ended her doctor-patient relationship with him.

Every week, Bai Ye had to meet with Song Yin, or Song Yin would meet Bai Ye for a follow-up consultation.

As Bai Ye's "illness" improved, the time and frequency of visits gradually decreased until it ended.

Song Yin signed a contract with Bai Jincheng for three years. During these three years, Song Yin was responsible for Bai Ye's mental condition to prevent his old illness from relapsing.

Bai Jincheng was too busy and could only express his concern for Bai Ye in this way.

"Is this all you're taking?" Song Yin pointed to the bag on Bai Ye's back.

"Yeah." Bai Ye nodded. He couldn't take much, just some changes of clothes.

Everything in the trading pavilion had already been prepared for Bai Ye. Nothing was missing.

"What about this jigsaw puzzle?" Song Yin pointed to the complex puzzle on the transparent coffee table. She had seen Bai Ye for the first time playing with that intricate puzzle.

With its back facing up, it was different from how most people played it.

Now that the puzzle was completed, Bai Ye didn't show any intention of taking it with him.

"No need. I've completely mastered this puzzle. It's no longer valuable to me." Bai Ye said, striding out of the room. Very cool—masters don't look back at explosions.

Seeing Bai Ye, who was trying to be cool, Song Yin shook her head helplessly, took a few steps, and then stopped.

Approaching the transparent coffee table, she knelt down halfway, folding her body into an incredible posture, looking from below the table at the front side of the complex puzzle.

Autism doesn't mean being foolish. Although most autistic children have low IQs, there are exceptions.

Some people show significant talent in certain areas that are beyond ordinary people.

Was Bai Ye possibly such a genius with hidden talents?

The room's lights were on, and the curtains were open, so Song Yin could clearly see the front side of the puzzle. She suddenly chuckled helplessly.

It wasn't entirely mastered at all.

This quite complex puzzle, except for a few corners, was put together randomly. It looked meticulous from the back.

However, when viewed from the front, it was exposed, and assembled entirely randomly and chaotically.

Song Yin stood up again, turned off the room's lights, and walked towards Bai Ye, who was waiting for her at the elevator.

She didn't notice, and it wasn't possible to notice, that when the light became slightly dimmer, those incredibly chaotic images on the puzzle seemed to form a strange, twisted smiling face.

"I'll take you there later, stay with you until tonight, and you can try staying alone. If it doesn't work, give me a call." Song Yin stood beside Bai Ye, looking at him. Suddenly she realized that this semi-grown boy was almost half a head taller than her.

It seemed that she had never noticed before. Seeing Bai Ye, who was nearly half a head taller than her, Song Yin felt a bit amazed.

"Not staying overnight?" Bai Ye asked. "I've read books—"

"No way, not you too! What kind of books do you usually read?" Song Yin instantly threw her amazement into the sky.

_______________

Read 30 Chapters Ahead!

Patreon.com/SkyImmortal 

2