Chapter 1
31 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 ~ Two Swords ~

I walked through the Red Keeps gardens by myself, my handmaiden Graycie had been killed during my fathers arrest when she tried to help Sansa escape, I hadn't found a replacement that I felt comfortable with like I had with Graycie so I refused to get another, I could dress myself easily and Sansa was more then happy to do my hair. 

A throat cleared to my left and I spun with my dagger out, only to be met with Ser Loras Tyrell who had apparently come to save Kings Landing with his fathers men at his back before he and his sister proposed to have the King marry her instead of Sansa, my trust for him was about as long as the hair on Varys' head "no" I said shutting down his request before he could make it. 

"My grandmother wishes to see you in the rose gardens, I'm here to escort you" he held out his arm for me to take but I scoffed and walked towards the Rose Gardens. 

"Tell me Loras was Renly even cold when you turned tail and decided to become Tywin's puppet or were you a little bit loyal?" I glanced to see him slack jawed before he righted himself. 

"I did what I had to do to save my sister" he glared at me "you can't say the same for your siblings, down to one aren't you?" I almost went to slap him but an older woman's voice stopped me in my tracks. 

"Ah the Lion's wolf is here" a woman dressed in a gown that had roses embroidered on it stood at a small table that held some food and tea, Lady Olenna, while older, still was as beautiful as the stories had told, her eyes took me in and I felt like I was a small child being inspected by a Septa. 

"The Queen of Thorns" I replied as I curtsied before turning to Loras who was smirking at me "leave us Ser Loras, the adults need to speak freely" he scoffed and left in a huff while Lady Olenna chuckled. 

"As fiesty as my grandchildren say" she gestured for me to sit and I did as elegantly as I could. 

"More so" I told her causing her to laugh again, "what did you need to see me about Lady Olenna?" 

"Straight to the point, I'm sure you're aware that my granddaughter is marrying the King" i raised an eyebrow and nodded, it was hard to not notice, the castle was in a flurry of preparation for the royal wedding "many Nobel houses are coming to the wedding, including those from Dorne, I'm aware that you trained in Sunspear, and know many of their great lords and ladies, including Prince Doran" 

"I wasn't aware that my training was common knowledge" I looked at her pointedly "what does my relationship with Prince Doran have to do with the wedding?" 

"The Dornish houses are hostile at best to the great houses, including your own husbands, I'd like you to make them feel welcome" she waved her hand dismissively and my nose twitched. 

"You want me to make them play nice" I scoffed and shook my head, "I don't know what your grandson Loras has told you, lady Olenna, but I don't take orders, the Dornish aren't savages, they won't be an issue, the other Nobel houses on the other hand.." I let my sentence hang before I stood "enjoy the rest of your afternoon" I curtsied and left the gardens. 

~ Days Later ~

"Lady Anaris" Termond Gargalen called from down the corridor as he and the rest of the Dornish houses came towards me, "you look radiant as always" his Dornish accent was like honey, and I smacked his chest gently. 

"You're as big of a flirt as ever Lord Gargalen, I'll have you know I'm a married woman now" he winked at me anyway and I rolled my eyes before turning to the other Dornish men and women "welcome to the Capital" I looked for Prince Doran or even Sunspear's sigil but couldn't find it "where's Prince Doran?" 

"The Prince has the Kings Decease" Termond shock his head sadly, "he's decided to stay in Sunspear and send his brother in his stead" I swallowed my surprise, not that Doran would send Oberyn but because he had what the Dornish called 'the Kings Decease' one too many rich meals some Maester's have said. 

"I pray he has a speedy recovery, I hope to travel to Dorne soon to visit, I do miss the Water Gardens" Termond grinned and bowed deeply. 

"We would welcome you like you were one of our own, my lady" he stood "Prince Oberyn arrived early this morning, you know what he's like" I laughed and curtsied. 

"I know exactly where he will be, I'll take my leave and let you rest, you must be tired from your journey" I left them at once and strode to the stables where Ember was waiting for me, Tywin had taken great care of her while I was away, her coat was shining like a polished stone and she was happier "we have to find Prince Oberyn, my sweet, he's going to cause trouble" i unlatched her stable, not bothering with a saddle or halter i hefted myself up and let her guide me from the stables before I took off to one of Little Fingers brothels that was closest to the gates of the Keep, while Oberyn was unpredictable in a lot of ways he was easy to track in others and his love for all things sex was always his downfall. 

I left Ember close to two horses, one I recognised as Tyrion's and I dodged two Lannister men one had an extremely nasty wound on his wrist which was definitely Oberyn's doing, I followed the trail of blood that lead me to where Oberyn, Tyrion, Bronn and Ellaria were conversing "you know, if I knew you would be coming I would've told the Lannister men to run and hide" I said causing them to turn and look in my direction, Oberyn laughed and strode over to me with his arms open. 

"Wolf, as beautiful as the sun on the sea" he pulled me into a tight hug and pulled away "Lannister red?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, I petted his face and smiled. 

"Later, Viper" i turned to his paramour Ellaria and smiled as she came forward and wrapped me in a motherly hug, she smelled of rich oils and flowers "you look as you did when I was a child" I told her making her laugh and smack my arm gently. 

"A good liar but a liar still" we grinned at one another as a throat cleared from across the room and Tyrion looked uncomfortable. 

"Prince Oberyn, if I may, a word in private?" Tyrion asked making Oberyn turn and stand stock still, he nodded and gestured for Tyrion to follow while I kissed Ellaria on the cheek and followed the men out of the brothel. 

Tyrion spoke up as we left the brothel doors "the king is very grateful that you traveled all this way for his wedding," I snorted and Tyrion whacked me none to softly if Oberyn noticed he didn't say anything. 

"Let us speak truth here, Joffrey is insulted" Oberyn shrugged, he didn't care what Joffrey or any of the lords thought "I am only the second son after all" 

"Well, speaking as a fellow second son, I have grown rather used to being the family insult," Tyrion replied causing both Oberyn and I to chuckle. 

"Why did you come to King's Landing, Oberyn?" I asked my friend who just raised an eyebrow but he wasn't offended by my question which meant he had another motive to being here. 

"I was invited to the royal wedding" he shrugged and I crossed my arms with a soft scoff. 

"I thought we were speaking truth," Tyrion said, he was quick to catch on and that made me like him more. 

"The last time I was in the capital was many years ago, Another wedding. My sister Elia and Rhaegar Targaryen, the Last Dragon" he spoke and his eyes changed, they somehow got darker, angrier and in that moment he was The Red Viper "My sister loved him. She bore his children. Swaddled them, rocked them, fed them at her own breast. Elia wouldn't let the wet nurse touch them" his chuckle was hollow "And beautiful, noble Rhaegar Targaryen left her for another woman. That started a war and the war ended right here when your father's army took the city..." he grew angrier and I very subtly touched my sword, I wouldn't win against Oberyn if he decided to take his anger out of Tyrion but I'd rather give the man who promised to protect my sister a chance. 

"I wasn't actually present," Tyrion said nervously but Oberyn didn't stop speaking. 

"And butchered those children. My nephew and niece, Carved them up and wrapped them in Lannister cloaks, And my sister, you know what they did to her?" I swallowed harshly as Tyrion looked down at the ground, he was ashamed of what they did but Oberyn touched his chin and made him meet his eyes "I'm asking you a question" Tyrion swallowed the lump in his throat. 

"I've heard rumours" he said as he almost chocked on the words. 

"So have I. The one I keep hearing is that Gregor Clegane the Mountain raped Elia and split her in half with his great sword" Oberyn all but spat the words out making my hand clench on my sword and my eyes watered with tears as I tried to fight the sadness that was being brought upon me from Oberyn's words.

"I wasn't there. I don't know what happened" Tyrion said, he'd wilted a bit more from the conversation and Oberyn grinned with malice at him. 

"If the Mountain killed my sister, your father gave the order. Tell your father I'm here. And tell him the Lannisters aren't the only ones who pay their debts" he gestured for me to follow him and I patted Tyrion on his shoulder, I could feel the concern from his eyes on my back, "now, Wolf, tell me why you dress like a lion" he raised an eyebrow and looked at my dress, Cersei had it delivered this morning, her way of trying to get me to like her once more, it wasn't working. 

I laced my arm through his as we strolled away from the brothel, unsure how to tell him that I'd been married to a Lannister and not just a Lannister but the one who killed the Mad King I decided not to beat around the bush "I've married Jaime Lannister" I said and held my breath, he pulled me to a stop and looked at me like I was insane "it was after Jon Arryn died, I thought it would help heal our family but" I made a gesture with my hand "that didn't work well" his eyes narrowed "he's a good man Oberyn, he's protected me and he loves me" I shrugged. 

"You married a Lannister" he gritted his teeth and glared down at his feet "the Kingslayer" 

I tinted his chin up so he could look at me and I sighed "I'm still me, Oberyn, I'm still the girl that you would chase through the Water Gardens, still the girl who begged you to teach her how to fight as you do, I'm still Anaris Stark" I pulled his moustache gently when he grumbled "it was either Jaime or some young boy who doesn't know his balls from his brains" his lip twitched in a smile, I had him there. 

"He treats you well?" He asked with a raised brow, there was no need to lie, while Jaime had done stupid things he did treat me extremely well, better than I had expected when we had first met. 

"Extremely" I said and watched as his face softened, I guess he could read on my face my feelings for Jaime were real, I touched Oberyn's face and smiled "I like that you worry Oberyn but honestly I'm more scared for you and Ellaria's safety, this place is more dangerous than you remember" 

"Why could I have not met you when I was younger, Wolf?" He asked causing me to scoff and smack his chest with a laugh. 

"You did," I told him as he laughed and nodded "I best be going, Jaime will be wondering where i disappeared to" I drew Oberyn into a tight hug and kissed his cheek "be safe Viper," I glanced at the brothel and smiled cheekily "and tell that Paramour of yours she's too good for the likes of you" i winked and left without a glance back, I could hear him chuckling behind me. 

~ Jaime and Anaris' Chambers ~

When I arrived back to my rooms I was surprised that Jaime was there, laying on the bed, his new golden hand rested in his stomach as he breathed evenly, if I didn't know any better I'd say he was asleep "father threatened to disown me today," he said in a low murmur "after he gave me that" he lifted his hand that was draped over his eyes and pointed to a brand new sword that was leaning against the bed post. 

I picked the sword up and stared at the steel as i unsheathed it, it gleamed back at me, as only Valyrian steel can, "Valyrian steel?" I asked no one as I turned the sword this way and that "it's fresh forged though" I touched the steel and then glanced at Jaime who was watching me from under his arm "where in the Seven Hells did your father get this?" I touched the pommel that had a golden lions head it. 

"The original sword was quite large" he mumbled from the bed, "it created two swords and a dagger" he pointed to my writing desk "he said he wanted you to remember the promise you made on our wedding day" he watched me as I threw down the sword onto the bed next to him and backed away like it was a dangerous animal. 

"No" i chocked out the word as tears pooled in my eyes, there was only one Valyrian steel sword that was that large in Tywin Lannister's possession, the sword that took my fathers life, the sword I used to cradle like a new born in my arms when he taught me how to properly look after my own sword and daggers, the sword that had been in my family for over four centuries. 

"Ris I'm... I don't have words to describe how I feel" he sat up and tugged on my skirts, pulling me to him as gently as he possibly could "what promise did you make on our wedding day" he asked me as he cradled me in his arms as silent tears welled and fell from my eyes. 

"I never told you, he wrote father a letter before you arrived in Winterfell, he tried to get father and I to swear that I would be either with child or have a child by the end of our first year together" he stiffened under my body and I let a dry chuckle out "we replied as only we can, going so far as to tell him what he could do with that demand but he seems to think that means I swore to him that it would happen" a giggle rolled out of me "considering we've been married for 3 years and we haven't had a child yet shows him" I glanced up at Jaime's face and touched his lips with my fingers, he kissed the pads gently. 

"We haven't talked about when you want children" I moved on his lap as he spoke, his hands on my hips, I touched his scruffy cheek and bit my lip. 

In all honesty I had been thinking about it more and more since we came back to the Capital, Jaime wasn't getting any younger and I wanted him to see our children grown "no we haven't, there has been too much on both our plates," I rubbed my nose against his in a gesture I'd seen my father do with my mother before our lives were torn to pieces, "I want to start" I said with my eyes closed, scared of what he'd say, I knew Cersei's children were his, I knew he loved Myrcella and Tommen with all his heart even though he could never show it. 

He stared at me wide eyed "not because father wants this to happen?" I didn't blink.

"Tywin has no sway over my decisions, even if he believes everyone bows before him" he chuckled and nuzzled into my neck, "I'll stop taking my draft and if it happens then it happens" I shrugged the shoulder he wasn't snuggled into. 

"Joffrey called me old today" he muttered into my shoulder "said I was just a 40 year old knight with one hand" I scoffed and pulled Jaime's head away from my shoulder. 

"If he wasn't the king I would use this nice golden hand of yours and slap him until he learnt some manners," my hatred for Joffrey was well known by Jaime and Tyrion, both men saw and heard what the bastard would say in front of me about Robb and Mother, "you are much more then just a 40 year old knight with one hand," I kissed his lips gently "you are my husband, the man I love" he sighed deeply and flopped down onto the bed again pulling me with him so I was draped over him. 

~ Anaris; Dream ~

A flap of leathery wings drew my attention from the grey waters 'Dragonstone' something whispered to me but I was alone on the cliff edge, wings flapped again and I turned to look over my shoulder and a large black dragon stared back at me with curious eyes, a woman with silver hair petted it's forehead lovingly as I stepped toward her, she looked to me and smiled, she looked to be my age, perhaps younger, her hair in so many braids I couldn't tell where one ended and another began. 

"I can't have children" she spoke to me, her voice was soft and it was almost lost to the wind that threatened to blow us over the cliff "'when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, not before'" she looked back at the great beast that was all but curled around her protectively "that's what the witch said when she cursed me and killed both my son and husband" she looked to me again and moved away from the dragon and it let her "these dragons are my children," she looked down at the bump that was protruding from my belly only slightly and I put my hand there as if I could feel it's life even though I knew it was a dream, "I'm happy for you Anaris, truly"

I opened my mouth to say her name, it was there on the tip of my tongue, a name that people would know, but as I went to speak the dream bled away. 

~ Anaris; awake ~

I woke slowly, my hand on my belly, my mind was trying but failing to make sense of the dream, Jaime mumbled something and rolled over to me, his arms wrapped around my body, there was a sense of security in his embrace, one that I didn't have while I walked the halls of the Red Keep, one that I only had when I was cuddled under furs in Winterfell, I turned my head slightly and moved my hand from my stomach to Jaime's hair, he'd cut it again, not as short as it had once been but short enough that it wouldn't be a hinderance. 

"You dream too loud" he mumbled grumpily, his voice husky with sleep, his eyes remained closed when I scoffed quietly he opened his eyes slightly and peered at me, "what were you dreaming about?" he asked as he somehow came closer to my body, "the capital burning again?" I shook my head. 

"No this one was different, sadder perhaps" I sighed and rolled so I was facing Jaime, "I need to speak to Varys, he may have answers" my brow furrowed and Jaime move his hand and put his finger on the skin. 

"He speaks in riddles" Jaime mumbled and I giggled "you could ask me" he tilted his head slightly and I shook my head with a laugh that disturbed Storm who was asleep at our feet on the bed, she huffed and jumped down with a grumble that told me she was displeased that we woke her up. 

"Do you know of the things that are happening in the east?" I asked him with a sarcastic tone and a raised eyebrow. 

"Varys is your man" he said as he rolled me under him and kissed me soundly, "now how shall I make you sleep once more," he had a wicked gleam in his eyes, a gleam I knew too well and liked very, very much.

0