Chapter 3
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 ~ The Lion and the Rose part 2 ~

I stood at the balcony of my chambers and watched the sea swell, Storm rested beside me, breathing deeply as she slumbered after eating half a cow, my new Raven sat on its perch looking healthier then it had when Pycelle had it, I was dressed for the Royal wedding but I was tempted to not go, I wanted to add insult to what I'd done a few days before. 


The door opened and the clink of armour was enough to let me know that it was Jaime who was disturbing my peace "your furrowed brow tells me you're thinking too hard" he murmured as he wrapped his arms around my waist, his hands lingered on my belly for several moments before he finally reached past me and caged me between the wall of the balcony and his body. 


"I feel as if something is going to happen Jaime, it's a pit in my stomach that I can't quite put my finger on" he kissed my bare shoulder and nuzzled the side of my neck. 


"If something does happen, then we'll handle it, like we always do" he put his hand on my cheek and turned my head gently. 


"With stubbornness and brute force?" I asked with a chuckle which in turn caused him to chuckle as well. 


"Something like that" he kissed my lips and pulled me back against him more so I could feel his solid form, anchoring me, we kissed once more before a knock at the door our rooms told us it was time for the Wedding. 


— — — — —


I stood next to Sansa and Tyrion as Margaery was lead down the aisle between guests by her father, who was looking a little too smug as if he was the one marrying, I caught Jaime's eyes as he was standing near the alter with Joffery 'I love you' I mouthed to him making him smile slightly, he had to remain stoic while he was acting as bodyguard to Joffery but that didn't mean his emotions didn't shine from his eyes. 


Margaery made it to the alter where Joffery was waiting, he lead the bride to the High Septon after Mace excitedly handed her over, Joffery removed his cloak and placed it none too gently onto Margaery's shoulders before their hands were bound together. 


I closed my eyes, remembering my own wedding, the warmth of my father beside me, the sour face Robb wore as he watched Jaime and I talk at the feast while Theon cackled at his best friend, the look of love my mother gave me as she kissed my cheeks before I went up to my chambers with Jaime, the laughter from little Rickon as I peppered his face with kisses, Sansa cooing over my dress, the conversation about what was beyond the Wall that Jon, Uncle Benjen and Bran had, Arya asking Jaime to teach her how to fight. My family whole and safe at Winterfell before we were torn to pieces. 


A hand grabbed mine and I looked to my side where Sansa stood, she cast me a concerned look but I shrugged it off with a weak smile, I looked up at Jaime to see him also concerned, he knew what I was thinking, where I was dwelling and he knew it didn't bode well for either of us. 


— — — — —


I grabbed a bunch of grapes from a passing servant and joined Ellaria and Oberyn "this city smells of shit and death" Ellaria commented as she snatched a grape from my hand, as we walked through the small feast that was being held for the newly married couple, one of Baelish's whores was doing a contortionist act, which meant she was half naked. 


"Hello" Oberyn mumbled to the woman with a sly grin on his face as we passed Tyrion who thought the prince was speaking to him. 


"Hello" Tyrion looked to me and then Podrick, who was following Tyrion around the feast, with confusion. 


"Not you" Oberyn waved him away and continued to watch with fascination as the whore grinned at him and twisted her body in a position where he could see her lower half completely. 


"And this is where I leave you two" I clapped Oberyn on the shoulder and winked at Ellaria who barley looked my way, they both were just as infatuated with the woman, I chuckled as I made my way to my sister where she was sitting alone at the head table "I keep remembering the last wedding we attended together" I said to her making her smile only slightly at me. 


"You were beautiful," she said quietly making me laugh "Robb pouted the whole night, thought father was making a mistake by allowing the wedding to happen" we smiled at the thought of our brother. 


"Yes he cornered me just before I retired to bed, if I remember correctly the words he said were 'don't even think about it'" I told her, she giggled and for a moment I felt like I'd helped lift even a small bit of weight off her shoulders, her sorrow was chocking her and she was forgetting to live. 


I bent and kissed her forehead gently when I felt a presence behind me, I glanced as Olenna smiled at both of us "You look exquisite, child, The wind has been at you, though," she said to Sansa as she fixed her hair and fiddled with a necklace that adorned my sisters neck, one I had never seen before, "I haven't had the opportunity to tell you how sorry I was to hear about your brother" the older woman said to both, she sighed deeply and shook her head "War is war, but killing a man at a wedding, horrid. What sort of monster would do such a thing?" She asked nobody, I raised an eyebrow as she chuckled "As if men need more reasons to fear marriage" she muttered as Tyrion arrived to sit next to Sansa. 


"My lady, my lady" he nodded to Olenna and Sansa before bowing slightly to me "sweet sister" he chuckled at my eye roll. 


Olenna greeted him in return before continuing her conversation "Lord Tyrion, you see? Not as bad as all that" she told him gesturing to the entertainment, "Perhaps if your pauper husband were to sell his mule and his last pair of shoes, he might be able to afford to bring you to Highgarden for a visit" Olenna said to Sansa who perked up at the mention of leaving Kings Landing, even if it was going to High Garden I would send her there just to get her away from Joffery "Now that peace has come and all is right with the world, it would do you good to see some of it" she touched Sansa's shoulder gently "You must excuse me, It's time I ate some of this food I paid for" she nodded to me and left us. 


"I think she's the only one in her family that doesn't believe her shit stinks of roses" I said making Sansa choke on her drink for a moment.  


"Ris, you can't say things like that" she swatted my hand when I just grinned at her. 


"Can't stop me my sweet sister" I kissed her head once more "try to eat something" I told her gently, she sighed and nodded making me smile at her "we'll speak later" I waved to Tyrion and left them to their own devices while I searched for my husband. 


I paused to grab a goblet from a servant when arms wrapped around my waist tightly "did I mention that you looked rather edible this morning?" Jaime asked by my ear as he nipped it sharply. 


"No I don't think you did" I told him as I turned in his arms "you were to busy quelling my worries" he chuckled and kissed my lips gently. 


"You look good enough to eat" he said making my cheeks tingle as a blush formed, I knew people were staring, I knew Tywin was probably rubbing his hands together thinking that he'd won. 


"Well don't make any promises you cannot keep Ser Jaime," I said as he pulled away with a forlorn sigh. 


"Just you wait until we're locked away in our chambers my lady," with a grin he turned and left to talk with some of his men, biting my lip I turned to walk away but was stopped by Cersei. 


"Seems as though you and my brother get along very well," she tilted her head slightly, her eyes raking over my outfit "don't tell me you've fallen in love with him, remember what I told you little Wolf" I met her gaze and straightened my back, I refused to be scared of this woman. 


"'Love no one but your children' " I said making her grin "but you see, my sweet sister" I stepped closer to her making sure she understood what she she playing with "I will love far more then just my children, because I am capable of much, much more" I went to leave her without bowing but her hand clung to mine. 


"I'm trying to help you" she whispered, I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. 


"Trying to help me? Like when you promised that you would make sure Joffery would be merciful to my father? Or how about all those times you allowed your beloved son to torment and abuse my sister?" I scoffed when she opened her mouth "please save your breath" I removed my arm from her grip and left her, there was no more that could be said, she'd been complicit. 


— — — — —


The feast was served and I sat with Oberyn and Ellaria once more, Brienne hovered not far from us, apparently Cersei tried to insult both Oberyn and Ellaria while I was with Jamie and she'd tried to intimidate Brienne. 


"She's a fool to think I'd be insulted with words that petty" Ellaria said as she sipped her wine, "men and women have been saying things like that to me since birth" i snickered. 


"It's not like she'd beat you in combat anyway" I muttered for only her to hear, she looked at me and cracked a smile that lit up her face. 


"Very true, Wolf, very true" at the head table Joffery tapped his goblet to get everyone's attention, the crowd quieted down. 


"Clear the floor" he ordered two servants who scurried around and cleaned up the food that he'd ordered the crowd to throw at his fool "There's been too much amusement here today, A royal wedding is not an amusement. A royal wedding is history, The time has come for all of us to contemplate our history. My lords... my ladies..." he gestured to a giant lions head that was to his right, a servant pulled a lever and the mouth opened causing a long red carpet to roll out like a lolling tongue "I give you. King Joffrey..." he shouted as dwarfs came out of the lion dressed as each king "Renly, Stannis, Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy. The War of the Five Kings" people cheered as the dwarfs pretended to gallop around on fake horses, their costumes were grotesque imitations, Renly's had a fake ass hanging out while he was riding a blonde male that was an obvious dig at Loras, while Stannis was riding his red woman, Rob had a wolfs head as his own, Greyjoy was riding a giant squid but Joffrey's was the only one that looked the least grotesque, he rode a golden lion with stag horns.


I glanced at Sansa as the dwarfs began to 'battle' one another, Stannis 'killing' Renly, Rob howling as he battled both Joffery and Greyjoy winning his fight with Greyjoy he turned to the Joffery character, I looked up to see Cersei smirking at the Tyrells while Joffery was watching Sansa, as the last two characters turned to one another Cersei turned to me and her smirk dropped, I stared at her blankly as the characters pretended to joust, finally coming to an end when Joffrey's character 'killed' Rob's by knocking his wolf head off, Joffrey's character then began to sodomise the wolf head, Cersei winced but my eyes never strayed "complicit" i mouthed to her. 


"Well fought. Well fought" Joffery shouted at the men "Here you are. Champion's purse. Though you're not the champion yet, are you?" He threw the purse at the dwarf none to gently "A true champion defeats all the challengers, Surely there are others out there who still dare to challenge my reign" his eyes scanned the crowd, narrowed on me and then moved to Tyrion who was holding my sisters hand "Uncle. How about you? I'm sure they have a spare costume" the crowd laughed as I wrapped my fingers around my knife, Oberyn's hand grabbed mine softly. 


"Save that anger sweet Wolf," he whispered into my ear, his words broke through the ringing of rage that was boiling inside of me but the decision was made, if no one was going to kill Joffrey I certainly would. 


Tyrion stood and spoke with a false chuckle "One taste of combat was enough for me, Your Grace. I would like to keep what remains of my face" Tyrion motioned to the scar that crossed half his face from the battle of Blackwater, the crowd laughed most of the lords knew what Tyrion had done on the field, how he'd rallied the troops when Joffrey turned tail and ran scared into his chambers "I think you should fight him. This was but a poor imitation of your own bravery on the field of battle. I speak as a firsthand witness. Climb down from the high table with your new Valyrian sword and show everyone how a true king wins his throne" Joffery scowled but Tyrion continued unfazed "Be careful, though. This one is clearly mad with lust. It would be a tragedy for the king to lose his virtue hours before his wedding night" the crowd roared with laughter but Joffery just couldn't leave well enough alone, when Tyrion sat back down Joffery walked behind him with a full cup of wine, he poured the contents out onto Tyrion's head, the wine dripping from his hair Tyrion didn't move "a fine vintage, shame that it spilled" he said as the crowd was now silent waiting to see what the would be King would do and say next. 


"It did not spill" Joffery growled, my hand clenched in protest for being in the same position for a long time but I didn't move, I couldn't Tyrion wouldn't want me to step in, it would hurt him if I did. 


"My love, come back to me, It's time for my father's toast" Margaery tried to get Joffery to back off, Joffery moved to his new bride but I knew he was far from being done. 


"Well, how does he expect me to toast without wine?" He waved his cup in the air before turning to his uncle "Uncle, you can be my cup-bearer seeing as you're too cowardly to fight" Ellaria touched my other hand, grounding me. 


"Your Grace does me a great honour" Tyrion said making me almost smile, he was playing with Joffrey and the boy King was too stupid to see it. 


"It's not meant as an honour" Joffery said slightly miffed that his barbs weren't landing how he intended, Tyrion stood and walked over to Joffery who promptly dropped his goblet onto the floor, and as Tyrion went to pick it up Joffery kicked it away towards Sansa, during the whole charade no one dared move, "Bring me my goblet" Joffery demanded, Tyrion knelt to pick it up as Sansa watched Joffery, without taking her eyes off of him she leant down and handed the cup to Tyrion, he stood and brought it back to Joffery


"What good is an empty cup?" Joffery spat "Fill it" Tyrion grabbed the wine that was in front of Cersei and filled Joffery's cup, he handed it to the boy but Joffrey wanted more, "Kneel. Kneel before your king" my memory of Robert flashed through my mind, he'd said those words in jest back when the Hands Tournament was being held, but Joffery wasn't Robert and Tyrion wasn't going to budge, "Kneel. I said... kneel!" He went to draw his sword but Margaery interrupted him. 


"Oh look, the pie!" She cried as four men carried a massive pie to where the couple were, the crowd clapped politely but everything was more subdued. 


"My queen," Joffery spoke as he walked to the pie, unsheathed his sword and swung the blade down straight into the pie, he looked surprised when doves flew out of it and from the look on Olenna's face I could tell that he'd killed a few, people clapped as the pie was then served to guests and the couple. 


I let go of my knife as a piece was placed in front of me, I stared at the flecks of blood that were splattered on my piece and swallowed the bile that rose in my throat, I stood abruptly and rushed away all but shoving Qyburn out of my way, Brienne follow as I stopped away from prying eyes and proceeded to loose the food I'd nibbled upon during the day "my lady" Brienne moved my hair off my sweat covered face as Qyburn came forward. 


"My lady, when did you last bleed?" Qyburn asked as he gently pressed his hand to my forehead before touching my belly, I thought for a long moment. 


"Before we were taken to Harrenhal" I looked at Brienne and she nodded she remembered the disgust on Locke's face when he realised I'd bled on his horses saddle. 


"Two moons" Qyburn said quietly as he probed through the bodice of my dress "I'll need to do a few things but" he met my eyes "I believe you're with child" I went to ask him what he needed to be sure when screams raised over the gardens. 


"Help him! Help your king!" I heard Cersei scream out, I gathered my skirts and rushed to where the feast was being held, "He did this. He poisoned my son, your king" I rushed forward and gasped at the scene in front of me, Joffery, purple in the face with trails of blood leaking from his eyes while Cersei cradled him to her chest, her angry eyes glaring at Tyrion who held a goblet like it would strike him down as well "Take him" she looked around and so did I, Sansa was gone and Tyrion was getting manhandled by Kings Guards "where's Sansa?" She spat "where's his wife, find her" she ordered more guards who took off running in all directions. 


All I could do was stand there with Brienne at one side and Qyburn at the other, not sure how to respond to what was happening around me.

0