3. “Schatz, let’s bandage your hand.”
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the Xevian folktale of Xevia’s falling rain, the story started before it had begun.


Three years ago before the beginning, a prince sat up high on a throne. Up in the sky, an angel basked in the falling rain’s glory. As the rain fell down, the angel only watched as each droplet hit the ground, and even helped the rain fall by making the rain pour.


The angel looked down on the falling rain, standing on top of the clouds where the rain used to stay.


Where a prince sat up high, he fell down just as quickly as the rain fell from the skies. Just as how the angel basked in the falling rain’s glory, an esteemed battalion member stood up high and basked where his commander fell.

***

The house smelled of dust. Ulan had his head down as his hand was outstretched on the table. Blood oozed out of his palm and fingertips as Engel meticulously picked at the small shards of glass stuck in Ulan’s hand.


Ulan winced every time a shard piece was pulled out. For some reason, he saw a smile form on Engel’s face.


His hand was a bloody sight. The glass shard he had clutched so tightly in his hand just moments ago had been shattered when Engel tugged on him, exiting the grotto. It made Ulan cringe to see.


Ulan would use his manipulation powers to heal himself, but it wasn’t like he immediately got them back the second the array was dispelled on the magic bars in the grotto. As his mother was the queen, she was the carrier of the royal bloodline.


And, before his imprisonment, she took away Ulan’s powers.


She threatened to take away Engel’s three years ago.


It was proof that the royal family really could take away abilities from magic bearers. Even if that bearer was a royal himself.


When Ulan instinctively pulled his hand back, Engel immediately brought it back and held his wrist down. “Schatz. Stay still.” Engel said, as he used the tweezers to pull out the glass shards stuck in Ulan’s skin.


“It hurts,” Ulan responded, his voice shaky and trembling. It felt like a million shards were stabbing him everytime Engel pulled out another.


It really hurts.


Engel sighed, shaking his head, “Stay still for a little while longer.”


Engel had been meticulously pulling each individual shard of glass out one by one. Blood didn’t even seem to faze him, and Ulan found himself looking away from the bloody mess that was his hand.


Ulan heard Engel laugh, “Schatz can’t stand blood?” He grinned before standing up, putting his tweezers down, and started rummaging through a multitude of cabinets.


Rolling his eyes, Ulan spoke, “I can stand it. I just don’t want to see it.”


Engel hummed in acknowledgement, before pulling out a roll of bandages and tossing it up in the air before catching it.


Ulan remained still, his eyes closed as he felt Engel’s hands wrap around his wrist again. When he looked at the table, Ulan saw a multitude of medical items.


He chimed, “You don’t look like a medicine expert,” Ulan said, his gaze carrying suspicions.


Ulan was still extremely tense around Engel. He couldn’t help it. Engel had been the one to destroy his life— and even admitted to being the one who killed that village.


Ulan wasn’t sure what Engel was planning for him.


Ulan didn’t know what Engel’s plans were for rescuing him. The one who took the fall for his crime.


Engel only smiled in response. “One of my friends has a physician as a friend. I visit them often.” He spoke calmly as he gently cleaned off Ulan’s hand, examining it slightly.


Ulan raised an eyebrow, “You? Have friends?” he replied. He felt himself tense up when Engel cleaned the blood off, hissing in pain.


“Shh, shh. It’ll only hurt for a second,” Engel answered to Ulan’s question, taking the bandages and started to wrap his injured hand, “and yes, I have friends. Schatz wounds me.”


Ulan only sighed. He supposed Engel wasn’t causing any trouble. In fact, Engel was helping him right now.


If anything, Ulan would stay as long as it benefited him. Once he’s back on his feet, Ulan would leave. Leave for good. Never speak to Engel again.


As much as Engel was a help, Ulan only cared that his assistance was helping him. Even if he was using Engel, Engel was probably using him as well.


So, it’s only fair Ulan would use Engel as well.


Soon, Engel finished bandaging Ulan’s hand, and then put his supplies away. He hummed quietly to himself, almost like there was nothing wrong.


Ulan was watching Engel like a hawk.


Why are you helping me? Why are you assisting me? What’s behind your eyes? Your mind? Your thoughts? Your brain? What’s behind that face of yours? What do you want? What’s the purpose of this? Why? Why why why? Why? What is it? Am I a toy? Am I entertainment to you?


Or maybe you feel bad?


If you feel bad, tell my mother the truth, you fucking bastard. Tell her everything. Tell her how you framed me. How you killed them all. How much of a fucking brat you are.


Engel simply sat back down in front of Ulan with a smile, clasping his hands together.


In response, Ulan’s eyes narrowed as he held his bandaged hand close to his heart.


“You want to clear your name.” Engel stated, and Ulan swore he saw those eyes growing brighter.


Luminescent eyes were already a problem. They were remnants of chaos, remnants of destruction. The brighter it was, the more mayhem.


Ulan didn’t like that.


However, Ulan responded with a simple hum. Engel’s smile almost turned into a grin, standing up and leaning closer to Ulan.


“I helped you. Help me now.”


That was all Engel said. He noticed Ulan’s hesitation, and he let out an annoyed sigh, sitting back down and slouching in his chair.


“You’re too tense! Loosen up, schatz. I’m not gonna hurt you. I just want your help,” Engel said directly. Pulling off his hood from his cloak, Ulan got a better look at Engel’s face. “Look, I’m completely serious here. No laughing, nothing. I just want your assistance in some errands.”


That’s it? Errands?


Ulan furrowed his eyebrows as he slid his chair away from the table. “Errands?! I’m fucking powerless! What do you need my fucking help on?!”


Engel smiled, “Nothing much. Just a bit life threatening. I’ll help you gain your title as Crown Prince again, mn?”


With that last sentence, Ulan’s eyes widened.


Fuck the life threatening bullshit! I could literally get my life back! The one that was stolen from me!


“Just a warning, schatz. This deals with demons, but I’ll help you get your title back.”


Ulan immediately stood up, “Shut the fuck up! I don’t care that I could die, you fucking bastard–! I have nothing to lose!” Ulan took a sharp, quick breath, “It’s either I die, or I get my life back. Do you know how long I’ve been trying to die?! Because I couldn’t get my life back?!”


Engel’s eyes glistened.


Ulan only continued, “You’re a bitch, but I’d fucking kill to get back my life. If I can’t, I’d rather die.”


Death would be better. Death would be better than looking at the life he had under the spotlight. The life he should have had for the last three years.


But this was a chance. A chance to get that back.


A chance to get back everything he’d lost.


Engel was just a tool in Ulan’s eyes. Engel was just a factor helping him get this back. Once he’s gotten his title back, he’ll never have to see Engel again.


Ulan knew it was horrible. He knew. In his defense, Engel was doing the same thing. They were both using each other as a stepping stool. 


Suddenly, Ulan put his hand on the table. He made a  hiss from the pain he felt. “Tell me. Tell me. Tell me everything.” Ulan paused for a split second, his eyes meeting Engel’s with an intense stare. “Tell me how I can get it all back. Tell me what I have to do.”

***

After Ulan’s downfall, he vowed he’d never trust anyone again. He vowed that one day, he’d find a way to kill himself if he couldn’t get back in the light. The spotlight.


As Engel watched Ulan’s wretched fall, he vowed he’d never do something so cruel ever again. He vowed he’d fight, he’d fight to stop that. He vowed if he were to ever cause such a disaster again, he’d kill himself. Yet, he found himself losing control of his mind, slowly but surely.


As much as Engel’s eyes glowed, his heart wasn’t cold.


The only reason his eyes were the way they were, was because of pride.


Engel was going to kill this pride, even if it killed him as well.


And, maybe, the others too.

***

Ulan narrowed his eyes as he felt Engel force his head to face the mirror.


“Get your shitty hands off of me,” Ulan hissed, using his left hand to swat behind him.


Engel only chuckled. “Schatz! Look at you! Doesn’t it look great?”


“The fuck it doesn’t! Don’t pull my hair!”


Engel laughed loudly, and then released his grip on the back of Ulan’s hair, causing the latter to immediately turn around and hit Engel.


Engel had cut Ulan’s hair that had grown out and accumulated a considerable amount of dirt over the past three years, and Ulan hated it.


“Come on, schatz… We have to get you cleaned up before we go to the palace, hmm?” Engel said with a taunting tone.


The palace.


They were going to the palace.


“I know! God.” Ulan sounded annoyed as he aggressively ruffled up his hair. It was way too short. Too short. Ulan hated it. As a prince, Ulan was used to looking presentable. He was used to actually looking decent. It didn’t bother him when he was caged, but now out in public view? It was horrible.


Engel sighed, grabbing Ulan’s hand and yanking him backwards. “Come on, schatz. You look fine.”


Ulan said nothing, but his face told Engel everything.


These… demons, Engel said he wanted Ulan’s help with. Seven of them, and the majority of them are in the Xevia region.


Bulaklak was the name of the whole country. Overtime, the nation was split into four different regions with different cultures, customs, and beliefs.


Xevia was the one Ulan was most familiar with. It was the region that he was supposed to rule under a monarchy, yet never got the chance too. Ulan had lost most respect or care for Xevia’s customs and traditions after being imprisoned for so long. He cursed and swore, and only rolled his eyes in response to criticism. Family first was a term Ulan had no care for, not now.


However, three regions also remained. Elyve, Cecilia, and Alcear.


Elyve was very festive and commonfolk driven. Small communities bustled, and singing and dance was often common practice. However, communities were extremely tightly packed and liked little to include others from the other regions of Xevia, Alcear, or Cecilia.


Ulan slowly looked back to face Engel.


“Elyve’s that place where that new… Dancer and Knight folktale is spreading around, yeah?”


Engel’s face immediately darkened, “I don’t want to talk about it.”


Ulan was confused, but didn’t push further.


It’s just a love story between a dancer and a knight. What’s wrong with that? Weird.


Cecilia was a fog wasteland, and residents usually relied on a sense of touch in order to guide themselves around. New technologies have been invented in order to combat the eternal fog, and the region was big on their chefs and cooking. Despite the horrible fog making it so all ingredients have to be shipped or hauled in, their food was delicious.


Alcear was almost always winter, and snow was almost always on the ground no matter the year. However, the residents love to fish and hunt, and have a huge industry of fishing and animal hunting. They are on good terms with Cecilia, as Alcear supplies most of their raw meats.


Ulan sighed. The regions always confused him. Xevia was this huge royal hierarchy, Elyve focused more on overall enjoyment and commonfolk yet didn’t like foreigners, Cecilia has eternal fog, the worst crop seasons yet takes pride in their cooking, while Alcear is always winter with a huge hunting culture, and something that stuck out to Ulan was dog sledding.


We aren’t here to have fun.


Engel’s here because he wants to take down these seven demons. I’m here because I want to clear my name and get my title as Crown Prince back.


He promised my powers. He promised my life back.


How can I say no?


Engel stared at Ulan, deep in thought. He only now remembered Ulan, despite now technically being 18, still had the mind of a 15 year old.


He simply smiled. “Schatz.”


“What?!” Ulan snapped coldly, only to be struck silent soon after.


“Help me with the first demon, and I’ll get your powers back.”


“Afterall, you want them, right?”


Ulan saw Engel’s mouth move, but after that last sentence, Engel didn’t speak. He spoke in Ulan’s head.


So, so annoying.


“I know it’s annoying, and it’s funny to see your reactions,” Engel let out a laugh soon after. “Your looks crack me up. But I’m not lying.”


Ulan looked up at Engel’s eyes, staring deep into them.


It feels so genuine. Why?


Those eyes are still shining. I know that once Engel is done with me, he’ll throw me aside. But…


Why are those eyes slowly getting dimmer? Why are they…


Ulan felt himself swallow his own pride and fear.


“Schatz, if you help me with the first demon, I’ll get your powers back,” Engel promised. He was promising.


Even, sticking out his hand to Ulan to shake it. Ulan only stared down at it. This time, Engel hadn’t forcefully grabbed him. Engel… was offering his hand for Ulan to touch.


And Ulan took it into his own hand.


Engel responded with a grin, “That was quick.”


I’m desperate. I’m really, fucking desperate. I’m so desperate. I’m so desperate to get everything back.


I’m desperate.


I’m desperate.


I’m really fucking desperate.


Ulan only wanted it all back. His life, his sense of self. Ulan could barely handle it. It was so… compelling to try and get back what he lost when he was given the opportunity.


It was in Ulan’s own benefit. He didn’t care if he lived or died right now. These demons— the first one could slaughter him, rip him in half, spill his guts all over the floor, and Ulan wouldn’t care.


Death or taking his crown back. Ulan would take both.


“I want my life back,” Ulan said, his voice and tone stern and forward, “or I’ll die trying. I don’t give a fucking shit.”


Engel simply nodded in reply, “You’ve changed a lot.”


You’ve changed a lot too. Three years ago, you were… more unhinged.


Why have you changed? Why did you do it in the first place? Why?


Engel sighed, waving his hand in front of Ulan. “You think way too much. Everytime I decide to mess with you it hits my ears loudly.”



What?


Ulan only blinked.


“Ahh, schatz, no worries no worries. Let’s just go to the palace!” Engel’s voice suddenly got an octave higher, and he clasped his hands together.


“What?”


Engel chuckled, and grabbed Ulan’s wrist again.


“Engel! Don’t fucking–!”


“Stop talking! The more traveling and less talking the quicker you get your powers back.”


That shut Ulan up.

***

The Lunas Medical Ward.


What were they doing here? Engel ended up disguising Ulan as a friend that wanted to study how the physicians and medical workers worked in the Lunas Ward.


It felt so weird to be inside the Xevia Palace again. Engel was so calm, leading Ulan towards the direction of the ward.


“Don’t drag me. I know my way around,” Ulan said with a hiss, yanking his hand away from Engel’s.


Engel laughed quietly, “What doesn’t schatz know? It’s fun to drag you around.”


Ulan didn’t respond, but he stared at Engel with a scowl.


Suddenly, Engel grabbed Ulan, and pulled him off to the side.


“What the fuck is that for?!” Ulan scoffed, and before he could speak again, Engel pushed his hand on Ulan’s mouth.


Engel put a finger up to his lips, and then pointed in the direction of the Lunas Ward.


Coming out of the door was a young girl who was in a wheelchair, followed by another girl in medical robes pushing the wheelchair.


Engel looked at Ulan before speaking sternly, “The demon is one of them. Do you know who?” He let go of Ulan’s mouth, and let him speak.

“The one pushing the wheelchair?” Ulan questioned.


Engel shook his head.


“The one in the wheelchair.”

0