Issue #36: X, Princess
353 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More advance chapters in Patreon.com/Saintbarbido.

&

Ko-fi.com/saintbarbido.

::-------------------------------------------::

Issue #36 X, Princess.

(General P.O.V)

On March 13th, the Germans suddenly and fully retreated from the war after suffering massive losses.

First it was the Eastern Front, where both the allies and the central powers combined lost millions of soldiers.

There had been no survivors and the Germans- angry and suspecting Russia of foul play after agreeing on signing a treaty, elected to send another full battalion.

The convoy crossed through Slovakia and into western Ukraine. They marched through the territory day and night, geared up for a full scale military campaign.

And then out of nowhere, the full convoy, numbering in the tens of thousands mysteriously went missing.

No nation came out to take credit. Ghost stories and tales of the dead walking the battlefield spread across the rank and file.

This war had started out as man vs man with an unmatched cruelty, but now it was clear something even more dangerous was in the game.

Taking advantage of the Central powers' heavy losses, the Allied nations launched an attack at the German occupants in Kiev, driving them and the Astro-hungarians' main army out of Central Ukraine.

A few days later, a few American troops with the help of the local militia, begun hunting down the dregs of the German army who were raiding the villages around Central Ukraine as they escaped.

The Allied soldiers chased them for miles, clearing the countryside of Central power occupation.

But not without a fight.

While the main force under Savage and colonel Thornton stayed right on the enemy's heels, the Amazons had a different job to do.

-0-

Led by Princess Diana but commanded by General Pillyphus, the Amazons faced off against a splinter group of German soldiers on a bridge.

The Germans had doubled back in hopes of fighting off the allies by attacking their supply chain and rear lines- a bold strategy.

Only for their hopes to be dashed and efforts to be in vain when they encountered a force of 400 fierce women, laying ambush on a valley.

It was a chaotic affair. And the battle had only been going on for a short time.

To combat the heavy firepower, the Amazons formed the "Hedgehog" formation, shields interlocked together, deflecting bullets as they advanced steadily towards the enemy. (The shields were made out of Osmium)

Escape was impossible due to the high hills and rough terrain.

Any soldier that tried to run away was either shot by their CO for desertion, or snagged by an arrow from the archers on the rear.

On the first clash, the soldiers were almost instantly mowed down.

With lethal precision, the Amazons wielded their lances through the gaps in the interlocked shields.

This is where the 'Hedgehog formation truly shone.

The soldiers did not stand a chance at close range. Neither could they effectively attack, leaving them open for the Amazonian lances.

The female warriors stabbed through the enemy line with brutal efficiency.

Pillyphus, led the charge, her sword carving a path through the foe.

Screams of pain and agony rose up into the air, audible for miles.

Blood flowed on the surface of the muddy ground, mixing with the recent rainfall to form a dark sludge.

Despite gunfire, the Amazons' determination remained unbroken, driving them towards victory as they decimated more and more of the enemy.

Briefly, Pillyphus remarked they were winning, but her thoughts soon turned to Diana.

On another part of the battlefield, a loud crash echoed out as an army truck was sent careening off the bridge and into the river below.

The truck exploded in midair from the impact caused by the bomb shot off a stoke mortar.

Diana soared through the air, having dodged the bomb shell which was originally aimed at her.

She leaped over the battlefield dominated with her sisters cutting a swathe through the soldiers.

Her target was the men firing up the mortar for another shot.

And as if on cue, another bomb left the mortar's barrel, too fast for her to completely dodge.

She held her shield to her front, taking the full blunt of the attack- the explosion momentarily hiding her body from view.

Unharmed and without a scratch, Diana pierced through the smoke, falling upon their position and tearing through the barricade with a single sweep of her leg.

All in all, the battle only took about 10 minutes.

The Amazons had won against a force more than twice their number.

The legend had begun.

-0-

(March 16th, 1918)

(Western Ukraine)

Diana stood on the edge of a cliff in her full armor.

Down below was a small village surrounded by hills and a river that snaked around the town's wooden perimeter wall.

It was dusk, and the sun was just about to dip on the other side of the Horizon.

"Do we know how many there are down there?"

One of her sisters asked.

"Does it matter?"

Another one pitched in, slamming the pommel of her lance on the ground.

"The mission is to go in and kill them all. I barely had a good fight last time."

"No."

Pillyphus interjected in a hard tone.

"The mission is to rescue the innocent civilians they've taken hostage, Adena. Keep your bloodlust in check."

The brown haired warrior called Adena, grumbled but said nothing.

She and a few Amazons did not like this.

It had been centuries since they had the cut loose. And now according to Pillyphus, they were on rescue duty.

Still, they obeyed without question. Especially after the aftermath following Alkyone's failed rebellion.

On the other side of the hills, a light briefly pulsed three times. Which was the signal.

"The army has surrounded the village perimeter your highness."

The General informed Diana, lowering her hands which held within them a pair of binoculars.

This and a few other equipments had left the Amazons amazed.

It was mind blowing the technological advancement Man's world had gone through since the last time they were a part of it.

And after some quick teaching, a few of them had been outfitted with medkits, compasses and binos.

For weapons however, the warrior women decided to stick with their cold weapons, citing the guns were too loud or were a dishonorable way to fight.

"I'll move in first."

Diana finally spoke up.

"Alone?"

Pillyphus asked, staring at Diana in alarm.

That wasn't the plan. The plan was for the other unit to launch a frontal assault and draw out the enemy soldiers.

Then, flanking the left and right side of the village, the Amazons could infiltrate and rescue the civilians.

And now Diana wanted to go in alone.

"Are you sure?"

Pillyphus asked.

Instead of answering, Diana turned to face the General with a strange expression on her face.

"Pillyphus."

She begun,

"Does it...seem awfully quiet?"

The older woman frowned. Indeed, it was a bit too quiet.

Still that could be attributed with the enemy's presence in the village. Prey was naturally silent before a predator, hoping not to draw it's attention.

It was likely that was the strategy the villagers had adopted.

But even with that, there were a few other discrepancies.

"It's dark out already but there are no fires or smoke trails to be seen. Even though they have provisions, the soldiers should still need to light fires to ward off the cold due to the climate in the region. And yet...it's almost as if the village is empty."

Pillyphus remarked in realization.

A cold wind blew through the area.

They hadn't questioned the intel Savage had given. After all their entire deal was that they would be allies.

"No, there's definitely...something or someone down there."

Diana muttered tersely, her eyes piercing through the distance to stare at the biggest building structure in the middle of the village.

It had a cross at the entrance.

Just then, the sound of gunfire sounded out from the front, signifying the start of the attack.

Diana unstrapped the shield from her back, holding it with her left hand.

"Stay here."

She ordered.

"Wait!"

Pillyphus grabbed her hand.

"What if it's a trap?"

The Princess stared at the town for a few seconds.

"Thats why it's safer for everyone if I go."

Diana assured.

"I can handle an ambush if there's one. And then you can move in for support."

-0-

Pillyphus could only sigh as Diana ran forward and jumped off the cliff.

The ground under her heels cratered at the force of the lunge.

Anyone looking up from below the cliff, would have only seen a flash of yellow arcing through the sky.

And then,

Boom!!!

A few seconds later, the roof of the church caved in as Diana smashed through, landing in the middle of the walking isle.

She straightened up, starting to look around only to freeze in shock. The first thing to hit her was the smell.

The familiar stench of death, just like the Underworld's atmosphere.

Bodies lay everywhere.

Men, women and children. Some of them ripped limb from limb.

It was clear from the way they were dressed...these were the villagers they were supposed to rescue.

The strangest thing was that she could even see a few enemy soldiers mixed in with the corpses. All dead. Killed in the same fashion.

It was the scene of a massacre.

And Diana knew the one responsible was still around. In fact, they were in the same exact building she was.

Swallowing her disgust, the Princess of Themiscyra turned to the front.

"Are you the one responsible for this?"

Below the pulpit, on a section of the church clear of corpses, the Godkiller armor, jerked up.

It's eyes seemed to zero in on Diana.

"Demigod..."

A disjounted voice escaped it's metallic chasis.

"I have been waiting."

Diana slowly unsheathed her sword, fully glaring at the massive hulking suit of armor.

All these people. Even children, slaughtered with no mercy.

"I shall take that as a yes."

Diana stated, leaning forward in an attacking stance.

"Prepare yourself for death."

17