Issue #42: X, Departure.
200 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More advance chapters in Patreon.com/Saintbarbido

&

Ko-Fi.com/saintbarbido.

::-------------------------------------------::

(Kane's P.O.V)

"Your majesty."

I bowed, slightly.

"I was told you wanted to see me?"

"Ah Kane, Good. You're here. I was just watching the sunset."

Hades spread out his hand, motioning to the gray and gloomy clouds above us.

I stayed silent with my thoughts. If he said he was watching the Sunset, who was I to deny that? (Even though there was no Sun to be seen)

I felt his eyes roam over me, inquisitively- as if he was trying to figure out a puzzle.

"Walk with me, Kane."

Hades finally said, allowing me to straighten up from my bow, before falling in step with him.

"The nature of the world is constantly changing."

He began as we moved across the balcony.

"That's why nothing is ever eternal. Even forever ends. The one sure thing is entropy and the Chaos it inevitably gives rise to. And do you know why that is?"

We were in a section of the Palace I had never been in before.

The Dryad that had led me here had followed a winding staircase that emptied out in a tower along the back portion of the Palace.

A long open walkway stretched from one side of the balcony to the other. From the right to the left. The North to the South.

"No. Why?"

I asked.

Hades breathed in, as if my question had posed a heavy burden.

"Because there are rules in place. Existence is governed by criss-crossing patterns of chance and fate. And when someone tries to control that pattern, they cause strife. They cause chaos. That is the reason Ares cannot be allowed to succeed. The Age of the Gods ended and should be left that way. This is the era of Humanity."

I didn't notice it at first but while having our conversation, we had arrived at the end of the balcony.

The King of the Underworld turned to regard me with a thoughtful expression.

"Tell me something, what is your purpose in this second life?"

For a single second I thought he was referring to the fact I was an Extra-dimensional traveller.

"Not many can say they fell into the Underworld while still alive and survived. Let alone leave it."

He clarified.

Internally, I swallowed a sigh of relief. But externally, I rubbed my chin in contemplation.

"Well...I've always wanted to create an assassin organization."

I settled for the truth.

"One dedicated to killing those who can't be killed by normal means. Or even those who can't be touched either due to their positions of power or status."

This time it was my turn to study him. To gauge his reaction.

"Mmh."

Hades nodded.

"I suppose I should have expected that. But, are you not concerned with what that will do to you? I speak from experience, and eventually all the blood you have spilled catches up."

I looked down.

All the blood I have spilled catching up to me?

"I've already made my peace with that your majesty."

I replied.

"Some people NEED to die for the good of the world. And if no one's going to do it, I will."

My words rang with conviction. Not to mention, there was MONEY to be made. 

"And who decides who needs to die? You?"

He posed another question.

One that I was more reluctant to answer, because it meant admitting to myself something the similarities between me and the man who taught me everything I know.

So I didn't or rather couldn't answer.

Hades looked at a certain point in the sky.

"Our conversation seems to be at an end. Your ride is here."

Even with my enhanced sight, I didn't see anything in that direction, further driving home the gap in power between a God and I.

My attention was pulled back to Hades as he raised his hand. A generous amount of divine energy swirled in his palm- glowing green.

Then he placed his fingers onto my forehead and the divine energy sank into me.

Instantly, I could feel a change within me.

My bio-energy reserves practically doubled and my whole body sang with a vitality that wasn't there before.

"There."

Hades stated, taking a step back. 

"I've kept my end of the bargain. You have received 110 additional years to your lifespan."

It was...incredible. The power in me. A single venom blast would now pack twice the punch as before- if I was guessing right. 

"I don't understand. While I'm grateful, I haven't fulfilled the contract yet."

I pointed out.

Ares was not dead yet. 

Hades' hand landed on my shoulder. His hard eyes growing a tad softer.

"Call it an investment. I have faith in you."

The shadows rose up from the ground beneath his feet, covering his entire body.

Then in an implosion of darkness, the King of the Underworld disaappeared.

I was left alone on the balcony, basking in my new vitality. But not for long as a strange sound reached my ears. 

"HEEEYYY!! KAANE!! BUDDY OVER HERE!!"

A voice I identified as Steve, pulled my eyes to the sky where, 3 distinct forms appeared, growing bigger by the second. 

Closer to the Palace, I got a good look at what was approaching, only to gape at... 

"Are those flying horses?"

(General P.O.V) 

"What do you think of him Aeacus?"

Hades, nursing a goblet of wine, enquired from his most trusted Council who stood by the side of his throne. 

"Cerberus said you asked him the same question, My Lord."

Instead of giving a straight answer, The Judge diverted. 

"And?"

Hades prompted, a little impatiently. 

"Forgive me, my Lord. 

Aeacus chuckled. 

"I was under the impression my opinion was obvious. Kane...is an enigma. But he's one that is best on our side."

"Mmmh."

Hades made a non-commital sound. 

"Are all the arrangements complete?"

He went on to ask, holding out the goblet for a refill. 

The Judge poured the wine in the pitcher he was holding into the goblet before straightening up.

"Yes...although, I seem to have lost contact with Hermes. Our messenger friend mysteriously disaappeared after sharing his report. No one has seen him since the meeting."

"Mmmh. That's worrying."

Hades scratched his chin. 

"But not concerning enough. Knowing Hermes, he must have already left for Olympus."

Aeacus frowned. 

"Without informing you my Lord? Highly unlikely."

"Does he know the rendezvous point?"

At the Hades' question, the Judge nodded. 

"Yes. I had briefed him beforehand to meet up with Kane and the others at the ruins of the fountain of Inspiration."

"Let us hope that will be enough."

Hades grunted, staring at the swirling liquid in his goblet. 

Things were getting chaotic. A sigh escaped him. What he wouldn't do to have Persephone around. Even the hardest decisions felt easier with her next to him. 

"Aeacus."

The King called out, a resolute expression on his face. 

"I need to speak to the court officials. We need to be prepared for Zeus after Ares is gone."

Aeacus bowed, about to leave to carry out the instructions. 

"My Lord, if I may, do you intend to stop father if he tries to take revenge on Kane?"

"No."

Hades immediately denied with a shake of his head. 

"That would splinter the Pantheon and weaken us even more. However, Kane is under MY obligation. If I can't personally protect him, I know someone who can."

Aeacus blinked before smiling wryly. 

"I take it then, I should invite 'HIM' to the Court's proceedings?"

Hades didn't respond, going back to his brooding. 

Aeacus took that as a yes, bowing down once more before leaving the Throne room. He had a certain primordial God of Death to talk to. 

(Kane's P.O.V) 

Pegasi. 

An equine with wings. 

Or in layman's terms, a horse with that could fly. 

The original myth about the ORIGINAL Pegasus dates back to the tale of Medusa. 

After Perseus, a demigod of Zeus cut off her head, the blood spilling from her decapitated neck landed in the ocean and from that, Pegasus was born.

The 3 Pegasi we rid on were descendants of the noble creature.

But let me back track to a few minutes ago, 

Riding on the back of a black Pegasus was Steve- who looked giddy as the creature stopped in the air before me.

Next to him was Rhadamanthus who simply nodded my way. 

The Judge was similarly riding on a Pegasus, but his was white. And on his other side was a brown Pegasus with an empty saddle. 

I'll take a guess and say that's my ride. 

"You're looking comfortable."

The comment was for Steve. 

"Naturally."

He responded proudly. 

"There's nothing I can't fly. Isn't that right Monty? Who's a good girl? You are, oh yes you are."

His Pegasus neighed as the Spy rubbed it's coat. 

He named her monty? 

"Oookay."

I simply muttered, jumping up onto the other Pegasus' back. 

The creature under me buckled slightly, as if about to throw me off. 

"Sshh..."

A gentle head rub and it quieted down, much to Steve's indignant exclamation of, 'how'd he do that?! It took me an hour to get Monty to accept me.'

Hiding a smile, I showed a thumbs up to Rhadamanthus, giving him the signal. 

With the Judge at the lead, we took to the air, leaving the Underworld Palace behind. 

Steve controlled his Pegasus to fly next to me. 

"So, what's with the new look? I almost didn't recognize you."

I spared a glance down at myself. 

"My last clothes were destroyed."

My awesome leather boots...and glasses... 

Dammit, I've lost so much ever since I washed up on Themiscyra. 

"Its a good look for you. Really brings out that Assassin vibe."

The Spy complimented. 

To be honest, I had initially been skeptical about the outfit. 

Then once I'd opened the crate and looked at it...I still hadn't been that impressed. 

It was obvious the outfit was designed for stealth, agility, and functionality.

It featured a long coat crafted from durable, dark material with multiple inner pockets for tools and weapons. Buckles and latches adorned the coat for quick access to the arsenal.

Attached to the coat was a hooded cloak that veiled the wearer's face in shadows, adding mystery and anonymity. The adjustable hood allowed for easy visibility when necessary while still concealing the face effectively.

The boots, made from the supple skin of a shade, enabled silent movement, while the soles, crafted from the back of the underworld's Thorn tree, provided excellent grip for climbing and traversing without noise.

Underneath, a shirt or tunic with subtle golden accents added elegance, complementing the loose-fitting pants designed for comfort and freedom. 

In summary, the outfit blended style with practicality. 

Okay. Maybe it was a bit impressive. Still... 

"Though I can't help but feel like it's missing something."

Steve mused while eyeing me up, almost mirroring my own thought process. 

"Some color maybe?"

Surprisingly, Rhadamanthus was the one to suggest. 

"Aeacus is good at many things, but he lacks an eye for anything not black or gold."

Color huh? But how? while the material looked simple, it was tough enough that normal stitching would be a bitch and a half to handle. 

"Oh, speaking of color, where's the Fire spider from before?'

Steve enquired. 

A light bulb went off in my head. 

Yes...yeah that could work. Spyra's flames were more than hot enough and her control was even better than mine.

With her help, adding a little aesthetic to the outfit wouldn't be hard. 

Now where was the damned spider? 

12