1. Counselor’s Orders
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Have a seat there, Miss Newton, and make yourself comfortable."

She pointed to a small, blue couch on the opposite side of her desk. I made my way to this, and to my surprise, it really was comfortable.

"Since when did you get this?" 

"My bonus: kids complained that the seats were small and bulky and not pleasant to sit on. I decided to just throw them away and buy the couch. Do you like it?"

"Yes, and about time, those seats were a pain in the ass, literally."

"Hahaha, yeah, I tried them myself, and now I can see why. Anyways, I think you know why I called you up here, right?"

Her calm, yet firm, eyes spoke for themselves. I can’t avoid her this time.

"Yeah, I do. It was me flunking, wasn't it? Listen, I can—"

"No, I don't want to hear it. You explicitly told me that you 'had this one,' and although my hopes were high, they were crushed, and I found myself disappointed."

"I can—"

"I provided you with numerous resources and support, considering my friendship with him. Please explain the disappointing results. Oh dear, I may have jumped the gun a bit; I apologize if I seemed to talk over you," she said, letting out a small chuckle afterward

The only "explanation" I can think of is that I performed worse than I thought I did, but she won't accept such a terrible answer.

...

But, it's better to tell her the truth right away rather than letting her wonder what's on my mind because it will only make her suspicious.

"Alright, right off the bat, I really don't know why I performed so poorly. I honestly did feel confidence in my responses and my thinking processes throughout the test; in fact, I even went back and double-checked them. I admit , sometimes my use of language might be a little misleading, but this is the genuine thing. Despite my best efforts, I ultimately failed. I am sorry for raising your expectations so much."

I was so frustrated that I balled up my fist and stared at the ground. Having said all of this, I was unable to meet her gaze. I couldn't take the disappointment she was experiencing, knowing that I was the reason for it.

I looked up to see her staring at me after completing my thoughts. She raised her glasses, cleared her throat, and then parted her lips.

"I see... well, I'm glad you sound sincere enough to show me you are not toying with your words."

"What the hell is that! You respond with that?"

"Your response just now isn't any better. Goodness me... to think his daughter would act like... I don't wanna dishonor his name anymore..."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?! You already said things about me as it is."

"Oh for crying out loud, you know I was just joking around with you. Your good qualities outweigh the bad, plus your looks!"

"Are you sure you're a counselor!"

We laughed as we finished this usual back and forward conversation. That's right, Stephanie Kingston, or Ms King, is the head counselor for students at Akron University. A women in her 30s, married with two children, and has good fashion. I guess that last part is irrelevant but it's true.

Anyways, she's a good friend and gave me the opportunity to take the COE, or Course of Oncology Exam.

A test that is limited to freshmen in the health department and is administered during their first year on campus. A nationally acclaimed bundle of courses starting sophomore year up until senior year To explore the medical field of oncology, the study of cancer, is the second major reason why I wanted to attend this university.

I took this opportunity and felt confident enough to take the exam with little study, but as mentioned before... failed. 

...

Damn, now I'm feeling disappointed in myself. Anyways, I know the reason she didn't call me here was to just tell me that...

Or could it? 

Well, whatever it is, I need to go to class in... oh wait I don't have class today. 

It's Saturday. 

"Lost in thought? Well don't be for what I'm about to order you."

"Huh!? Order me!? To what now, getting you some McDonald's down the street? I did that two days ago!"

"Now that you mentioned it, that's not a bad offer, but no, I'll save that for next week."

Seriously, is she a counselor here? 

"Ok, but on a serious note, we'll I'll just tell you straight to the point. I'm assigning you a tutor until the retake of the exam in December opens up. You should be ready to meet him Monday, at the library here at 2:00 PM."

"....."

"What, is it as bad as going to get me some food? I mean it's closer?"

"....."

"Ok fine, a thank you would do."

What. The. Fuck.

0