Chapter 13
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hero.

A person with exceptional wisdom and talent, who is brave and accomplishes tasks that are difficult for ordinary people.

If this word were personified, it would undoubtedly be Doa.

The hero of White Flower Kingdom, a person who knows precisely what the power of goodness is.

A person who used her wisdom to share her talents.

Someone who firmly believed there was nothing more noble and precious than life itself.

That was Doa.

[Kill Princess Rohwa, who carries the heart of Demon King.]

Gion vividly recalled the words from the book.

These words were left by someone who spent their lifetime helping those facing the brink of death.

"......"

Gion looked at Doa, who stood just like a hundred years ago.

Doa, standing among humans turned into demons, seemed to deny the existence of Doa from a century ago.

"Why did you turn humans into demons?"

What could be the reason?

-Humans are beautiful because they are ugly. Ugly, but still, they chase the goodness that remains in a corner of their heart.

Doa had said that.

-It's annoying, but you can't hate them, so you hope their lives are a bit more prosperous.

I'm just grateful that I can be of help to such people.

And yet, Doa turned humans into demons.

-Kind and gentle people are seen as weak and foolish, but I think differently. They are actually strong and tough. I want to be like them.

Doa had the strongest convictions and was always consistent.

-It doesn't matter if a mere human arrogantly comes up with an answer and gets criticized.

That may be why Doha said that.

-I hope this belief doesn't change, even if everything else in the world does.

The differences from a hundred years ago were cruelly and clearly visible.

Instead of the herbal scent that always emanated from Doa, a dark energy flickered.

Instead of being surrounded by injured people offering their gratitude, Doa was surrounded by people who had turned into demons.

"......"

Doa did not answer Gion's question.

He just took one step after another towards Gion.

"There is something you must take."

A vivid shadow wrapped around Doa's hand, and a wooden box appeared.

"It's a sword that can only be held by the one with the White Qi. The princess told me to make sure you take it. I came to deliver that message."

Gion didn't even look at the long wooden box and asked.

"Is that all?"

"......"

"Don't you have more to say?"

Doa handed the wooden box to Gion.

"Do we have more conversation to share?"

With that phrase, the end of their conversation, after a hundred years, was decided.

Gion took the wooden box.

"Alright. I understand."

***

The Chunhwa Sword can only be possessed by the one with the White Qi.

Now, the Chunhwa Sword was in Gion's hands.

A high-pitched sound rang out.

The sword, responding to Gion's White Qi, began to show an even clearer color.

With a humming sound, the Chunhwa Sword began to emit light.

Gion swung the sword through the air.

Shing!

Even with a slight swing, the wind stirred, and dust swirled around.

It was rightfully called the second most powerful sword after the White Dragon Sword.

Moreover, it was a tool that could harness the power of the spirit of spring and the white qi together.

At this point, when Gion couldn't perfectly control the white qi, the Chunhwa Sword was the most necessary for him.

'Could it be possible?'

The spirits of spring respond to the white qi.

However, Gion is currently not able to control the white qi properly.

It's uncertain how it would accept Gion...

But he had to make it possible.

Sssss.

Gion tried to let the white qi seep in as slowly as possible.

But then.

Whirring.

The Chunhwa Sword seemed to reject Gion's white qi, making the blade even firmer.

Gion quietly observed the sword.

'There's someone here who hasn't changed even after a hundred years.'

The spirits of spring, despite their name, were famously prickly.

They only showed themselves to those they needed or liked.

Of course, that didn't mean Gion was going to stop.

Whirring.

This time, the sound was soft and soothing, like the sound of afternoon rain or grass rustling.

The blade began to sparkle, resembling fireflies flying around.

'They're teasing me even in this situation.'

The spirits of spring must know. That Gion needs them right now.

Those haughty beings would probably say this.

Call us with a bit more desperation.

Who knows, we might grant your wish.

"......"

But does that mean Gion has to bow down to them?

Gion doesn't have time to appease them.

Moreover, their behavior meant that Gion was certainly obtaining something he wanted.

Kiiing.

Gion began to push the white qi into the sword.

The Chunhwa Sword vibrated as if it was startled. Gion closed his eyes and focused more.

He collected the white qi from his dantian to the tips of his fingers and let it flow. He gathered as much as possible, even the scattered bits, causing his veins to bulge. He could feel the floating and resonating pieces of light.

Provoking the spirits of spring with only one piece of light might be futile. But isn't it better than not trying at all?

Pain swirled in his dantian. Even with his eyes closed, it seemed like there was a flash before his eyes.

The piece of light seeping into Gion's body felt like it was expanding.

In response, the Chunhwa Sword began to shine even brighter.

Gion continued to forcefully feed the white qi into it, clenching his fists tightly.

At that moment.

Kiiing!

The wind immediately changed into a whirlwind. It was so strong that Gion's sweat dried instantly. The intense fragrance of flowers was enough to make one's head spin.

At that moment, as Gion was bracing himself with both legs.

"Hey! You... are... such a... fool..."

A young girl was swirling around the sword.

Having exerted too much strength, Gion experienced tinnitus, making it hard to hear the spirit's words.

The words came intermittently as if they were being edited out.

Gion barely focused his eyes and looked at the spirit.

"...What."

Even though there's only one piece of light...

'If it's such a young child, it must be a lower-ranking spirit.'

This makes it difficult to fully utilize the capabilities of the Chunhwa Sword.

But then.

"What are you staring at?"

The tone was familiar.

"Hwaran...?"

The Spring Spirit King, Hwaran.

She had appeared in front of Gion, transformed into a young girl.

***

"In the short time I was away, an unwelcome guest has come."

The Demon King entered the White Hall, his black robe fluttering.

As if lying down in his own bedroom, he lounged on the throne and looked at Rohwa.

"It seems I never allowed that man to stay in the White Dragon Castle."

"......"

"Am I wrong?"

It wasn't a question.

The Demon King is a being who believes his existence is the correct answer.

More precisely, a being for whom such perception is a natural principle.

For the Demon King to ask a question meant it wasn't to satisfy curiosity but rather to demand acknowledgment of one's mistake.

"Even if that man stayed in White Dragon Castle, there would be no cause for concern."

Rohwa stood up and walked towards the Demon King.

"The reason I called him to White Dragon Castle was because of the promise to give a fragment of light."

Crunch.

Rohwa, stepping on the sword marks left by Gion, stared at the Demon King.

"It seems our promise is being duly honored... Is there a problem?"

A straight posture. Eyes burning red.

A dignified presence with no sign of faltering.

Seeing such Rohwa, the Demon King smirked.

"No. It's not a problem. It's just unpleasant that a stray dog has entered my front yard."

"......"

"Let this be the last day he stays in my house. I have more than enough pets."

"Pfft..."

Rohwa didn't even cover her mouth with her sleeve and chuckled.

"If you thought he was a stray dog, he would have been dead already..."

Rohwa turned her back immediately.

There was no need to finish her sentence; the Demon King would have understood well enough. No point in dragging out words and getting a sore mouth.

"......"

The Demon King blinked for a moment and then, with a cold smile, watched Rohwa's retreating figure.

Creak.

As the Demon King rose from his throne, the sound of rotting wood being crushed echoed from the solid throne.

"Speaking of which, I heard the king of White Flower Kingdom has a tradition of opening the storehouse once a year to help those in need."

"......"

Rohwa stopped in her tracks.

The Demon King, watching her retreating figure, slowly descended the stairs.

"That food stored in the granary was also shared with the stray dogs, so I hear."

"You..."

Only then did Rohwa turn around to face the Demon King.

The Demon King was standing right before her, looking down at her.

"After returning alive after a hundred years, it must be tough. I feel a pang of guilt for not paying more attention to you."

There was no point in asking what he intended to do.

The Demon King had already flashed a sinister smile.

He had determined to create a crisis in his own extreme way.

And an ominous premonition was always right.

"Let's open the granary."

The Demon King passed by the stationary Rohwa and stepped forward briskly.

"Shouldn't that man also see a familiar face after such a long time?"

***

"Hwaran?"

With a mocking tone, Hwaran glanced at Gion.

"Do you so casually address a king's title? Do you think I'll tolerate it like Rohwa? You are utterly despicable."

Hwaran, with an innocent voice, sharply rebuked him.

Gion looked down at Hwaran as he walked through White Dragon Castle.

"......"

It was awkward.

The last time Gion saw Hwaran before his revival, she looked more mature than Rohwa.

'She looks even younger than Jung Hyun.'

But now, she looked no more than a 10-year-old child.

Hwaran turned her head away and said,

"Among those who carry the white qi, you're the first to call me so late."

At that, Gion's eyebrows twitched.

"How did you know I've had the white qi for a while?"

"Huh?"

"If you were sealed inside the sword, there would be no way for you to know about the outside world."

At that moment.

Kyaaah!

A man, screaming grotesquely, rushed towards Gion.

Gion swiftly dodged the man and positioned the blade of the Chunhwa Sword.

"...Gion?"

But Gion did not swing the sword.

"......"

He just stood still, observing the man captured by the dark energy.

Kraaak!

The man, crumpled on the ground, drew a sword from its sheath and charged at Gion again.

[What are you doing!]

As Gion sheathed the Chunhwa Sword, Hwaran shouted.

Hwaran's voice, residing in the sword, echoed loudly in Gion's head.

But for Gion, that wasn't what mattered now.

"......"

He dodged the man's blade, aiming for his side, and avoided the hand, trying to grab his collar.

Gion just dodged every sword technique the man attacked with.

His vacant eyes, devoid of any intent to kill, moved like a blade of grass uprooted.

After dodging several more attacks, Gion finally spoke.

"Bomun, I always told you."

Whisk

Gion grabbed Bomun's blade with his bare hands and pulled.

"If you swing your sword with your chest so open, it creates a vulnerability in your dantian."

Blood dripped down, and although Bomun struggled, Gion remained motionless.

"It's been a hundred years, and you still haven't learned."

Gion stood dignified, letting go of the sword.

"Swing again."

Kyaaah!

Bomun, having lost his reason, lunged at Gion.

"Didn't I tell you that if you swing your elbow like that, it exposes your shoulder?"

Crunch.

Gion immediately grabbed the hand holding the sword and said,

"Do it again."

[Come to your senses, Gion!]

A light green glow flickered, and a gentle wind separated Bomun and Gion.

[This isn't like you! This isn't the time for this!]

A fierce wind pushed at Gion's back.

[Look behind you, please!]

"......"

Hell is not a place but a situation, they say.

It was the moment he truly understood the meaning of those words.

Kyaaaah!

Corpses, having lost their reason and emitting bizarre noises, were seen rushing in.

Their bodies were tattered; only shells remained, and they surged like a wave.

The swaying dark energy almost made the view reel.

*Thump, thump, thump.*

The beating sound in his ears mixed with Hwaran's voice.

A piercing pain rushed in, along with the ringing tinnitus.

But more importantly...

"... Is this the only way the White Flower Kingdom treats you?"

The people, looking like crumpled paper with their blood all dried up, were all known to Gion.

How could he not recognize them?

People he spent five years with in Biryu and one year in the Valley of Snow.

People who desperately wanted to return to their daily lives, who risked their lives together to the extreme.

"Yeah..."

Gion exhaled deeply and tilted his head back.

"It seems there was something I failed to do before I left." 

Author's Note

Get 5 FREE chapters waiting in your inbox within 24 hours! Sign up for our newsletter and unlock a world of stories. Be the first to know about chapter-grabbing events, publishing secrets, and trending fiction picks. Connect with fellow bookworms and discover endless reading possibilities at ToodatFiction!

0