An unlikely ally
123 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

**Chapter 2: An Unlikely Ally**

Adolf is on a hunger search for ways to learn the language so he can easily blend in and not raise suspicions of others. He scavenged for thrown-out textbooks and newspapers, making his own makeshift language guide, each page a stepping stone to fluency and completing his goal.

A few days later, he steps out to attempt to further increase his language knowledge. He tries his best to convince people to teach him, but they are all unwilling because they are too busy trying to keep their jobs and their families fed as unemployment is skyrocketing. Many of them fear that the next one to lose their employment will be them.

Just as he was about to give up, an elderly woman named Frau Schmidt approached him. "You still haven't given up, young man?" (This is spoken in basic German, which he somewhat understands.)

Adolf, being surprised someone even responded to him with something other than no or "I am too busy," takes a few seconds to respond. "No, I have not. But I will have to soon because everyone seems too busy."

The elderly woman raises her eyebrow suspiciously. "Why are you so interested in learning German? Are you not from Germany?"

His heart races at the thought of that, but he quickly calms himself down. "I am from Germany; I was born here." Then something clicks inside his head; he's an orphan; he can use that to his advantage with the fact that his parents died in the first world war. "But sadly, my parents died in the first great war, so I am now an orphan with no home." He tries his best to force up some tears to make his sad act more believable.

The elderly woman begins to believe his act as her husband and children also served in the army. "Then I have an offer for you. Live with me at my house, and I'll teach you German every day."

He finds this hard to believe. That's suspicious; why would some random stranger come and offer him a house to live and to teach him German? "Why's that? Why are you trusting an orphan? You could have just ignored me like the rest."

She sighs. "I have nothing to lose, so I'd rather spend my last years alive knowing that I would have at least helped someone with what I can."

And just like that, a year passed (Yeah, I know it's a shitty time skip; just allow it).

A year immersed in learning German had transformed Adolf, but the joy was overshadowed by a somber event. Frau Schmidt, his devoted teacher, lay on her deathbed. As he sat by her side, she shared final words of encouragement, expressing pride in his progress and resilience.

The news struck Adolf deeply, leaving him with a profound sense of loss. In her passing, Frau Schmidt left not just a linguistic legacy but a lasting impact on his character. Determined to honor her memory, Adolf faced an uncertain future with newfound strength, carrying the torch of resilience she had ignited within him. Over this year, she has been like a mother to him and treated him as if he were her own child.

He kneels before her bed, takes her hand, and holds it tightly, tears flowing down his face. "Teacher, I promise you I will change Germany for the greater good, even if I have to die trying. I'll make Germany great again; I'll honor you no matter what, I swear."

6