Chapter 60 – New world, New life
160 8 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun rose to shine another morning as I lay awake, tucked neatly in crisp bedsheets so unfamiliar to me. Looking around this room, which was decorated with objects I did not recognize and made of materials that seemed almost magical, I could not understand it. The fleeting moments of respite were as foreign as a faraway land, utterly alien to my being. I could not rest for a moment, anticipating this peace could end abruptly at any time.

As I lay on my back, the sound of the high school bell echoed in my ears with an unsettling yet familiar tone. The intense ringing drove me to cover my ears on instinct, as an incomprehensible innumerous screeching resonated alongside it. The noise reminded me of them—the bugs.

Tung Tung Tung Tung

I needed to flee, to hide.

Ringing in my head. The instinct to flee and hide raced through every fiber of my being, though I knew better by now. As my breath calmed, the bells ceased their clamoring, granting me a chance to regain reason and composure.

I slowly stood up and walked to the window, gazing out at the lush forest encircling the high school, now lit up by the glowing dawn that marked the start of another day in this world, my third since arriving here.

I decided it was time to get going. But first, I took one last look at the cracked golden pocket watch I had been gifted. A floral engraved casing familiar now in my palm, the rhythmic ticking was counting down the minutes and seconds around its worn white face. I reveled at this object I had only read about in books back in my world. What mysteries did the one called Headmaster hold about? As the morning bell rang again, beckoning me out into this new world where I now found myself.

Looking down at the antique watch in my hands, I let my thoughts drift back to the day I first arrived in this strange new world.
==========================================================================
Serval days ago…

It was another day of survival in my world. A monotonous existence that wandered the world in search of anything similar to him. That was me. Tendlessly wandering through barren wastelands and broken cities, scavenging precious resources from the rubble while evading the giant bug's intent on killing me. It was a solitary existence for an unfathomable number of years, perhaps centuries, as time held little meaning anymore. All I knew was hiding, killing the occasional bug, and living completely alone but for my imaginary friend Zangief, with whom I would often talk just to hear a voice besides my own and books that I adored. I don't remember what happened to the world or me. I don't want to remember, for I fear I don't want to know. All I had was a friend named Zangeif, whom I had imagined talking to.

At some point, my legs did not want to take another step. Hopelessness completely shackled my legs with fear and dread. I could only say this as this thought was echoing in my head. The melancholy hung heavy in the air, like a shroud draped over the remnants of a forsaken world. Manwx trudged toward the desolate city on the horizon, his steps echoing the monotony of his existence. His eyes, once vibrant, now held no spark of life. Even breathing felt futile—a mere expenditure of effort in a world that had lost its purpose.

How much longer can I go on?

As my thoughts slipped into words

"Zangief"

My eyes, which didn't even want to acknowledge the world, felt heavy as my emotions got the better of me, and I asked.

"How long will this go on…"

"I haven't found anything in this world for years. What am I living for? Why am I the only living thing aside from the bugs?"

Manwx looked bleakly as he walked towards a new desolate city from afar with his monotonous sadness and eyes that had no life in them. Even breaths felt like a waste.

Zangeif, the imaginary companion, walked alongside him with a voice as ragged as the ruins around them. "Comrade,"
Zangeif murmured,

"We cling to hope. It's all we have left. Hope that somewhere, somehow, there's meaning beyond this desolation." But even as the words escaped his lips, both knew the truth: hope had withered, and this world had died long ago. What remains are just ruins of a civilization lost in the endless march of time.

Emotion hung heavy as he said, "I wish I didn't exist. Yet the fear of death binds me—an insincere existence suspended between despair and dread. I am pathetic."

Tears traced silent paths down Manwx's cheeks, falling to the ground like forgotten prayers. He curled up in a broken-down building, seeking solace in a torn bed. The walls whispered secrets of lost lives, and the wind carried echoes of forgotten laughter. The broken shards of reality cut deep, and sleep eluded him and the final refuge for a soul adrift in a sea of desolation.

Maybe I won't wake up tomorrow. I hope I never do

As I woke up, I could only see darkness. It was either I died, or I was being devoured.

Now, it didn't matter. I can let go, finally.

Yet in my final moments of solitude, as I curled up in agony and loneliness, I felt the sensation of a hand; it touched me. Its touch felt like human fingers. I felt warmth, unlike the bugs. I did not want to wake up in fear that this dream would end, yet I could not contain myself. I didn't want to be lonely anymore. Opening my eyes, I found myself sitting in a chair alongside a desk. Opposite me was a figure dressed in a black hoodie that hid his face, playing with a tank that moved on its own. I was confused at first. I did not understand what was happening. As I stared at the person, the hooded figure finally noticed that I had woken up.

"Hello there, my name is Tony, and I'm the Headmaster. So, this world also brought you here. What a fine day it is. More work! Lovely! It's not like I need to play with my tank! No, that's inconceivable!" Tony screamed, his voice echoing in his huge office. With a sigh, he looked at me and continued our conversation.

The figure held my hand as he shook it roughly, but I was dazed, trying to process what was happening. It was a new voice. Was I dreaming? Was it my imagination? Looking around, I saw Zangeif standing proud, smiling as wide as he could, flexing as he spoke.

"FINALLY! Hope did not betray us, comrade. This person is not like me! HE IS ALIVE!"

The Headmaster Tony looked at Zangeif as he finished speaking as if he could see him hear his screams of joy from what he could tell from his expression.

Not my problem. Nope… not my PROBLEM!!

And completely ignored him entirely as he turned to face Manwx, starting a conversation.

"I'm glad we met in the office. Some students just spawned in the toilets and some in the wilderness. It's always so random HAHAH! Just couldn't be in the jungle today huh? Hahah--ha" Tony said with a laugh sarcastically but he meant it. Free time was a luxury in his position and his sentient tank needed that attention.

Why me

Tony's face palmed calmly, accepting his fate as he slipped into the character that he was to play.

"So what is your name my friend" he asked as pointed with his finger asking with a sly tone.

Let me guess. Not human

"Im…. I'm… Manwx? Wait, why am I Manwx? I had a name… A NAME!?" Manwx was utterly confused as he uttered those words. He had no name because it didn't mean much to give himself one. Who would speak his name? It felt like the whispers of someone else. An echo that put that name in his mind and said it in his stead, and he was the receiver that whispered its messages.

Zangeif, surprised by the revelation, added, "Commerade, now you are Manwx! This is a monumental day that needs to be celebrated with 1000 SQUATS!" Zangief, overjoyed by the revelation, started squatting.

Tony looked at him calmly as if he expected that to happen.

"Ah yes... This place has a habit of naming us. Such absurdity… I HATE YOU BY THE WAY!" A book fell off the bookshelf aside from his table as Tony screamed, looking around him. The way his smile illuminated in his hoody, looking like a maniac, was a sight to behold, and after the outburst, he calmed himself as he spoke.

"It's quite fascinating as to why it happens. Well pleasantries aside welcome to the High School of wacky fun and hellish nightmares where madness reigns and order is sustained somehow."

Weird as it sounds, it is true, which is even more baffling even after so long.

"You will feel at home in no time. We got every character under the sun so you will feel right at home. Rest for the day" Tony snapped his fingers as many vanished in the blink of an eye.

With a heavy sigh, he laid his tired head on the desk, thinking of how to manage the situation. After reading the mind of this newcomer, a hundred questions emerged. He was not normal, and it would be hard for him to fit in as an individual, let alone a student.

Oh dear, this one is a very disturbed individual indeed. How would he adjust? Hmm…

The sentient tank rubbed Tony's shoulders as a way to cheer him up. He gently patted the tank helm as he thought of a way to deal with the new situation.

Appearing in a room with a flash of light, Manwx fell to the ground. The circumstances were far too much to process. He somehow was now in a place not familiar to him. A room decorated with many fancy curtains and a digital clock aside from the bed. However, he was confused as he looked around thinking this had to have to be a dream. There is no way this was happening. Clenching his hands as he grasped for breath deep down he hoped he did not wake up.

"My name is Manwx. I have a name, Zangeif! Someone called me by a name…"

Zangeif looked proud as he shared his joy. The loneliness was so much that he imagined a friend. In countless decades he finally had a person to talk to and for him, this was the happiest day of his life.

"Commerade, You are not alone anymore. Whether this is a dream or your new reality, isn't this the best!? Also, I feel different. Alive, this place is magical, HORASHO!" with a laugh he enjoyed his new existence.

"I feel… alive… yes, alive as well, my friend."

His voice trembled, the words escaping like fragile birds from a cage. The calmness in the room and the scent of old books and fading ink hung heavy in the air. He sat there, shoulders hunched, staring into the distance.

"Alive," he whispered as if testing the syllables on his tongue. The word carried weight, a burden he hadn't known he carried until now. His eyes finally could see that the world had color. After countless decades, even color became so momentous that the world seemed bled and void for him, but now he was in a different place.

Manwx lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling which was not ordinary in the least. He could see the night sky straight through it. The night was beautiful with colors he didn't fathom that a night could have. It was a new beginning for him as he raised his hands, trying to grab the stars.

I hope to see this again—no, I want to live this dream.

Lying in bed, finally closing his eyes to sleep in a comfy bed that he could only describe as being far too unnaturally comfortable, made it unsettling to sleep.

And so, in the quiet of that dimly lit room, he embraced the ache, the longing, and the uprising feeling that surged within him, for he was alive after being dead for so long.

In the morning, the start was as mundanely absurd as one could expect. With not much sleep in a far too unfamiliar and unknown place, Manwx left his room as he explored the building he was currently in. Being on guard as he walked with every cautious step, he navigated the narrow hallway, its walls lined with rows of doors, each different in design and size, leading to the private sanctuaries of the staff's living quarters. Despite the quiet stillness of the corridor, Manwx quietly exited the staff building and made his way to the school grounds, where the first rays of sunshine pierced the sky.

With wonder, he looked at the massive ground and building for the high school. Mesmerized by the sight of it, admiring its malevolent design. It was something that was such a rare sight. Bugs destroyed everything and terraformed the building into revolting nests from where he came from. This kind of beauty was lost to him until now.

The scene felt oddly familiar, though I had never before witnessed such a place. It is as though it beckons to me.

Walking towards the building entrance captivated by this view he opened the door of the school entrance only to find a figure of grotesque proportions in the shadow of darkness as it stood in silence like a statue. With instinct, he knew what it was as his blood boiled like a volcano. A rage that just manifested out anger as he could see its figure as if it.
A BUG!

In the staff room near his quarters, Tony, the Headmaster, paced back and forth, grappling with how to resolve the situation so he could finally rest. Yet nothing came to mind as he sat on a chair, thinking of what to do.

I can't even sleep, can't I?

"Nope. If I'm going to suffer with no rest due to this damn school and the forces behind it, then everyone is welcome to join me, ahaha," Tony snapped with a laugh as, with a snap of his fingers, a swirling sound echoed in the room and with it, every single member appeared from thin air into the room all sitting on chairs of their designated stature.

Many familiar faces of the school staff lay sleeping on the huge round table while sitting in chairs. They finally woke up after being in an uncomfortable posture, and some didn't wake up.

Ran, the nurse, woke up in her pajamas. She took a deep sigh, trying to open her eyes.

"Heavenly angle balls, what happened?" she said while looking around.

Then, others also started waking up slowly as Tony cleared his throat to announce something.

"Hello everyone. Early morning, am I right?" Tony said out loud and was met with just stares and grunts of annoyance which he completely ignored.

"What the fuck is the problem this time around? Couldn't you just do a staff meeting at an appointed time for once with proper notice?" Hans, the teddy bear teacher, said as he wiggled his fluffy hands and pointed at Tony.

"Well, that would be boring, plus why would I let you have an easy morning when I can't even rest myself became of this damn school and the forces behind it!"

Tony screamed

"YOU STUPID FORCE OF NATURE! LET ME REST!!!" he shouted, which was met with monotonous stares. Everyone was already familiar with this routine in the staff room. The spinning prop of the globe in the center of the table suddenly broke as the ball slowly dragged to a corner and fell off the table. Everyone knew this was a response to the unfamiliar force that toyed with the Headmaster when something needed to be brought to attention.

"What is it now this time?" can we wrap this up? School is about to start" the janitor Mac spoke with a stern voice which made Tony squeak a little.

"Ah yes, sure…" Tony said nervously, which confused Mac about his trembling voice.

"Well, as you know, we got pest problems. Insect bugs of every shape and size are just spewing out of thin air, mainly from different worlds from which everyone came. It's become a problem as they kill students daily and disrupt the school."

With a sigh, Tony continued.

"Now, the forces torment me in my free time to deal with this. I need my freaking free time, or I'll go insane," Tony said with his hand wrapping around his head as he was contemplating how long would this stupid issue persisted.

It had been a few days since this started, Tony thought.

A voice, rasping forth in a grating, multi-layered drone like a chorus of insect mandibles grinding in eerie unison, spoke: "And that's a problem? That's racist, and aren't we immortal and whatnot in this weird world? Where only this school exists, and the entire world is a forest with a few sites full of anomalies and weird people from different dimensions altogether?" Glitched, the half-insect security guard spoke in annoyance in her pajamas as well.

"You are different, Glitched," a drowsy yet refined voice interjected, seeming to flutter the very air with each precisely enunciated word.

"Although your screws may be loose, you differ from those mindless pests. You possess sentience and comprehend the divide between coherent action and wanton destruction."

It paused, exhaling a cloudy black mist from its beak-like mouth.

"This predicament involves insects and vermin running rampant. It does not extend any such notion to one of your...elevated faculties."

"Well. Fine. Still racist though but I get your point! It always feels like I'm being called out for my race and being misrepresented" Glicthed antennas ruffled showing her annoyance and a little embarrassment from her coworker's words as she dropped the topic altogether. Something caught her attention altogether.

Arcadia's words emerged with a drowsy, almost detached tone as if still shaking off the vestiges of an interrupted nap. There was a mild androgynous rasp underlying the casual delivery.

"No one thinks that, Glitched." The former human-turned-magic-blade stifled what might have been a yawn, the oversized hoodie shifting slightly.

"Okay, so what do you want us to do, boss? Unless you want me to abandon our duties..." Arcadia paused, rubbing one baggy sleeve across tired eyes.

"Which will anger the damn forces? We don't have much time to kill the bugs in our work shifts."

Despite the stakes involving duties and containment protocols, Arcadia's voice remained mostly flat - the weariness of an overworked, perpetually sleep-deprived soul just trying to make it through another day in this insane realm.

As they talked about what could happen, a sudden tremor shook the building, and everyone felt it.

The ground trembled, a subtle shake that most would brush off as insignificant. But not Pixytokisaki. The physical education instructor stood firm, her bare feet planted on the floor of the staff room. Muscles toned and tensed beneath her flimsy nightdress.

Her eyebrow furrowed, nostrils flaring slightly as she picked up on distant sounds of commotion. "Fighting again?" she muttered, a sly smile curling her lips. "At this hour, the little brats should be tucked away in the dorms."

Pixytokisaki rolled her shoulders, cracking her knuckles one by one. If those disruptive students thought they could avoid her disciplinary measures by causing chaos in the dead of night, they were sorely mistaken. Her grin widened, a predatory flash of teeth. Perhaps this would serve as an adequate substitute for morning training.

"Huh! Weird..." Tony scratched his head, brows furrowed. "Let's see what fresh hell those little gremlins have cooked up this time."

"Wait, where is Mac? Did he teleport already? Well, no worries, we will be there in a flash," Tony said as a chorus of protests erupted around him.

"Not again!" Tender Human, the Lunch lady, added on

"I just got my pajamas!" "If I end up walking across campus one more time in my pajamas. I'll end you."

Tony held up a hand, fighting a smirk. "Relax, relax. I'll keep the teleportation PG-rated this round. Clothes are already given, alright…" He snapped his fingers, then frowned as the office remained firmly intact around them.

"That's...new. Huh, Wait a second. Is this working?"

Clearing his throat, Tony tried again with a bit more gusto. This time, his snap echoed like a firecracker in the small room, followed by a collective "Here we go again."

But the curses never finished as the entire staff vanished in a puff of displaced air. Tony managed a dry sigh just before the vacant office stilled once more into silence.

A collective gasp rippled through the group as they materialized into the school hallway. Before them stood a grisly scene - a man in a black suit trembled, curled up near the pulverized remains of some massive insectoid creature. Green ichor coated the once-pristine floors and lockers.

Nearby, Mac coolly puffed on a cigar, surveying the visceral mess with an appraiser's eye. As Tony and the others cautiously approached, their eyes widened at the sheer carnage. Not just one, but dozens of mangled bug carcasses littered the area.

"F-Fuck me..." Mac puffed even harder, already dreading the clean-up efforts. "This'll take a day just to mop up the guts. What in blazes happened here?"

The bespectacled man in the suit remained tucked in a fetal position, rocking slightly. His huge monocle gleamed, reflecting the lurid splays of green.

"Well, what took you so long, Tony? Care to explain?" Tony stopped approaching as he gulped and started to explain the situation. Mac looked pissed because of the extra work. He wasn't mad at Tony, but who would believe him with a murderous face?

"Oh, well, you are quick to teleport," Tony said in a squeaky manner.

Teleport? I just left the room, Mac thought.

"Ah, yes. This is Manwx. He just got here a day ago… An amusing fellow indeed…..blah blah blah."

Everyone listened to the explanation while Manwx was sitting quietly, looking down, caught in a trance. He never taught that bugs would be here as well. The thought made him question whether there were more. A sense of rage calm rage boiled in him as he wanted to start over, but the bugs wouldn't leave him alone, even in a different world altogether.

I will every single pest there is. I can't let them ruin my life here, never again.

"So that's the gist of it," Tony concluded with a weary sigh.

Mac took a final drag on his cigar before flicking it away. "Well, he must hate the damn bugs. Did you see the other wings? Manwx even cleared out those Lovecraftian hive-mind terrors." He shook his head in disbelief. "The ones that have been a royal pain in all our asses for ages. I blame that lazy Eldritch Affairs Liaison student committee. Useless brats."

As Mac's gruff voice filled the gore-soaked hall, all eyes turned to the trembling, bug-slaying newcomer. Tony studied Manwx appraisingly, a sly smirk concealed beneath his hoodie.

"That's it..." He pointed a finger decisively at the disheveled man. "You. We need an expert pest control specialist. And you, my friend, seem damn well qualified for the job. What d'you say, Manwx?"

The use of the unfamiliar term 'pest control' only drew a blank, hollow stare from Manwx. His mind remained trapped in that dark, single-minded focus, eradicating every vile creature that skittered across his path.

Tony's smirk widened as he snapped his fingers once more. "We'll get you up to speed, no worries."

"Well we will catch you up to pace no worries" Tony again snapped with his finger as everyone vanished and found themselves in their home or dorms. While manwx and Tony spawned in the Headmaster's office as he explained his duty.

"Now..." Tony settled into a wingback chair, steepling his fingers. "About those new pest control duties of yours..."

"So how much?" Tony leaned back on his chair. "I can pay you...say, 1500 a month to start?"

Manwx's brow furrowed, confusion writ large across his features. He raised a finger as if to respond, then promptly lowered it with an audible click of his jaw.

Tony watched the puzzlement play out with increasing desperation.

"No? Okay, okay...how about 2500 then? That's damn good pay, right?" He wiped a bead of sweat from his brow. "it is a very good salary, tbh. Money and rates are different from what you know in this place. So a yes?"

Manwx stared because of confusion.

"Gahh!" Tony threw up his hands, sliding from the chair until he knelt before Manwx.

"Alright, listen! 3500 a month and not a penny more! I'm begging you here, my friend. I need this sorted, and I need to sleep as well. Please, for the love of all that's unholy, just accept the bloody job!"

A stilted pause lingered in the office. Zangeif gave a vigorous nod towards Manwx nudging him to accept. It was solid at least for Zangeif standards. More means better right?

Manwx blinked slowly, still utterly baffled by this "money" concept. But self-preservation instincts kicked in at Tony's impassioned plea.

"Umm...yes, sir, sure?" He managed an uncertain shrug.

"I accept your...3500... Ah yes."

Tony's entire body deflated with relief. "Thank you! Yes, yes, that's exactly right! 3500 hard units of cold, hard cash, my friend!"

Dusting off his knees, he grabbed Manwx's hand and shook it vigorously.

"Welcome aboard!" Tony clapped Manwx's shoulder with perhaps too much enthusiasm.

"You're going to just love maintaining our hallowed halls of saint-damned learning and chaos! For now, consider the whole campus your domain. No restrictions - just exterminate any pest issues that arise as you see fit."

Manwx could only nod dumbly as he exited the office, still trying to process the bizarre events. But one thing was certain: an entirely new world of opportunities and, inevitably, pests awaited him here.

The day they proved every bit as eventful as the early morning massacre foretold. Wandering the labyrinthine hallways, Manwx encountered beings that could generously be termed "students" in only the loosest sense. Some were vaguely humanoid, others bizarre amalgams of man and monster trapped in ever-shifting forms. Chaos reigned, from raucous fights to the staff in full disciplinary pursuit of the troublemakers.

Yet amidst the pandemonium, Manwx found himself receiving friendly nods or curious stares as he systematically snuffed out the smaller vermin scurrying underfoot. An odd sense of belonging crept up on him.

From the street, the high school looked like no big deal - just some old stone buildings with a few trees out front, but it did not do justice to the scale it was on the inside. Once Manwx stepped through the arched entryway, the place opened up into a mind-bending labyrinth that made castles seem quaint.

The entrance hall alone stretched out further than his eyes could follow, with high ceilings held up by thick, intricate columns marching off into shadowland. Huge murals covered the arched ceilings, splashy battle scenes and heroic sagas rendered in paints that seemed fresher than they had any right to be.

And that was just the tip of the architectural insanity iceberg. Common hangout spots flowed seamlessly into libraries guarded by snarling stone gargoyles. State-of-the-art science labs plastered with blinking gizmos abutted medieval-style halls lined with torches. It was like someone smashed a cutting-edge university into the remains of some ancient forgotten kingdom.

My expectations of this establishment were quite distinct from what I've found myself facing. This isn't at all what I pictured.

Then, the harsh clang of the midday bell knifed through the air.

The screeching echoes in Manwx's mind sent him into overdrive, fueled by vivid memories of bugs' piercing screams. He bolted, his reflexes kicking in as adrenaline surged through him. It wasn't until he stumbled through an arched doorway that he started to regain his bearings.

Panting, Manwx found himself in awe of the massive shelves and countless books that towered around him. He'd somehow ended up in the campus library without knowing what a library was to begin with. Touching the bookshelf, he looked in awe as he knew the value of this. Every shelf had books of various sizes. This was a treasure unlike any other for Manwx, as books were like a hidden treasure in his world, and he scoured for literature to learn from. Without a moment's notice, he started taking books of interest one by one till he could no longer carry them and walked out from there; as he made his way to the door, a loud noise of someone called for him.

Um...hello? You in the black suit..." Archie called out, "Where are you going with all those books? Hey, you gotta register them first!"

Manwx jumped at the booming voice from behind, almost dropping the teetering stack of books weighing down his arms. A large, shark-like figure appeared in his view with a name tag of Archie.

"Blast!" Manwx cursed as the books went tumbling. He scrambled to scoop them back up, but the shark librarian was already there, helping collect the scattered volumes.

As they gathered the last few books, Manwx met Archie's bemused look. "Um, sir, can I take these?" he asked sheepishly.

Archie's gaze narrowed a bit. "You're the new guy on staff, right? Just need your name and credentials registered. You live here, so it's just a formality."

"A formality, you say?" Manwx straightened up, adjusting his comically oversized monocle. "Well, sure... I suppose that's fair enough."

He started patting his pockets, pulling out all manner of weird scorched knick-knacks - a warped handkerchief, scraps of burnt papyrus, even what looked like an insect shell fragment. A key he got as well.

"Here, my friendly man… I'm manwx?" Manwx held up a tarnished old key with an air of immense pride. Tony's room key was given to him. It sure signifies his credentials, right? Archie's friendly smile went 180 as he watched him give him things he didn't even know what to do with.

A wheezing guffaw suddenly filled the air as Manwx's ghostly pal Zangeif materialized, and he doubled over with silent laughter.

Zangeif's gasping only grew more hysterical. For some reason, he knew better than many, but he was met with stares by many.

Archie just blinked slowly, glancing at him to see what to tell him first. "Oooookay, how about we just get you a library card? We can skip the transcripts..."

Handing him a card, he explained.

"Here. You're good now. Only ten books per day. Read them, return them, and you can take ten more tomorrow. Thanks for coming."

I thought I'd seen everything working here. I guess there is always more. Archie nodded as Manwx left the library in odd confusion, taking a few books with him.

As the day continued, Manwx retreated to his room after taking some books, an eerie prickling sensation taking hold. He felt...watched. Scanning his surroundings, his gaze settled on a lone fly zipping about. Snatching it from the air, he crushed it between his fingers, monocle inches away as he inspected the remains with sick fascination.

A fleeting sense of ease washed over him before the itch returned, more insistent this time. Venturing out onto the school grounds, that creeping feeling of being observed intensified with every passing moment. Manwx's eyes darted erratically, seeking out any sign of the vile pests.

There! I caught sight of something scurrying along the windowsill and another moving beneath the bookcase. They materialized from every nook and cranny as if taunting him. A scowl twisted his features as flashes of his world overrun by the wretched vermin flooded his mind, reminding him of a familiar bug he knew all too well. Snarling, Manwx relentlessly chased, lashing out at every insect that he found with primal hatred as they were leading them somewhere.

Before he knew it, he found himself outside a nondescript door, globs of ichor clinging to his shoes and sleeves. The eerie and strange events had reached a climax, leading him to this peculiar destination as if being guided by an unseen puppeteer.

The door creaked open of its own accord. A shadowed chamber yawned before him, prompting equal parts revulsion and intrigue.

"Revolting…" He growled in a clipped cadence, fingers twitching, ready to kill it on sight.

"Hello… We meet again. It was Manwx, right?"

A lilting, disturbingly saccharine voice sliced through the darkness. Glitched emerged from the web-choked recesses, her piercing gaze coolly assessing the disheveled man before her.

"We've been..." Her delicate features split into a sinisterly amused smile as her thousand compound eyes glittered with sadistic delight. "...expecting you."

As soon as he saw its insect-like figure, he launched it at her with a right hook. A web shot out her mouth, stopping his advance as she explained.

"I'm not an enemy..." Glitched's voice took on a conspiratorial hush. "We found your acts amusing...you seem to sense our presence. Do you relish killing us? Such intrigue we have of you...drawn by your acts of carnage and hatred."

Manwx ripped the sticky, silk-like strands from his arm, the webbing parting with a faint tearing sound. He didn't utter a word, merely observed her with an unsettling, predatory calm - muscles coiled tight, ready to unleash more violence at a moment's notice.

Before he could strike again, the shadows swirled and contorted around them. In a disorientating blur, they rematerialized in the Headmaster's office. Tony immediately launched into a heated tirade, scolding them both for the disruption and needless conflict.

Glitched visibly wilted under the verbal barrage, her antennae twitching guiltily as Tony admonished her reckless baiting of the unhinged newcomer. Manwx, for his part, grew even more bewildered and enraged at being reprimanded for attacking one of the "staff" - his brow furrowing deeply over the monocle's glint.

With a curt snap of Tony's fingers, they found themselves unceremoniously banished back to their respective quarters without further explanation.

The jarring teleportation left Manwx seething and disoriented.

Why was that vile, insectoid creature allowed to roam freely?

Was it...permitted to endanger the other inhabitants? His mind not grasping this concept, he ventured outside to the grounds, hoping some fresh air might calm his rattled nerves.

Far from the bustling commotion of the main campus, a solitary tree stood at the forest's edge, offering shaded refuge. Manwx sank against its gnarled trunk, attempting to make sense of this bizarre new world that seemed entirely alien to him. Everything felt unfamiliar, strange, and beyond his comprehension, fostering a deep sense that he simply didn't belong.

The students - if one could even call them that - intermingled in the open grounds, a celebration of vibrant chaos and unbridled energy. Their personalities, as disparate as their outlandish forms, clashed and meshed together in this place, yet they felt at home. Witnessing this spectacle provoked a profound ache of alienation and displacement within Manwx's heart.
Zangeif appeared as he sat beside him, giving calm advice.

"Commerade, I know it looks daunting. For me, I feel like I have become more than just imagination. You can also find solace and belonging here."

Those words echoed in Manwx's head, but they only made him doubt himself.

Can I ever find a place, a belonging here?

His brow furrowed as doubts and uncertainties gnawed at him relentlessly.

I yearn for connection, for meaningful bonds...but is that even possible for someone like me? Someone who just learned to kill and has an uncontrolled hatred for insects. Insecurities and a lack of understanding.

His eyes twitched, thinking about this thought.

Can I belong here? His brow furrowed as doubts and uncertainty gnawed at him.

I want to have a connection as well and I long for it but… I don't know where to start. In the end, I'm alone again just as I was before. With no memories of a world I don't have a clue about.

Doubt and introspection swirled like a vortex, instinctively drawing Manwx's limbs inward against the sturdy tree trunk. He curled into a protective ball, shoulders hunched, arms wrapped tightly around his knees. His unfocused gaze dulled, the weight of uncertainty bearing down in crushing waves.

Every sound - rustling leaves, distant laughter - made him feel anxious. Just as he contemplated his issues when the rich aroma of smoke wafted over him - heady, vaguely smoky, he looked sideways to find Mac, the grizzled janitor, seated nearby on a flattened boulder. The burly man puffed contemplatively on a fine cigar, his craggy face awash in a warm glow as he surveyed the raucous campus activities, unfolding with a gaze that looked warm and content.

"Lively, ain't they?" Mac the janitor rumbled, at last, a contented half-smile playing across his whiskered features

"You're in my spot, by the way. It's a nice spot, isn't it? Just let your thoughts rest and try to get a breather."

It was Mac. The person Manwx saw before, but this time, it was a coincidence of a meeting, unlike before. Responding to his remarks

"It is..."

"How was the day then... Settling nicely? You sure do your job quickly. We haven't had many issues with pests for the day."

"I'm not sure… I find it difficult to fit in. Things do not make sense to me, and it feels like I attacked a staff member even though I was told to kill the pest. I am conflicted."

"It can be like that..."

Manwx listened quietly.

"I know adjusting to this is hard… I've seen a fair share of people and things... I know when someone has had a rough life. Their eyes always tell a story." Mac said, continuing.

"The eyes… they are lifeless. You have been through a lot," Mac said, his voice carrying the weight of shared experience. "A friend once gave me life advice I'll never forget."

"Life is only worth living if you can share that experience with others."

With a puff of his cigar, he continued.

"Why not take it slow and try to familiarize yourself with this new world and its peculiarities?"

Manwx's gaze dropped to the ground. "I might cause more problems. I cannot reply to others here. I am alone."

Mac's eyes crinkled as he reached into his pocket, producing a cracked golden pocket watch. The worn metal cover bore an intricate floral pattern etched by time and memory.

"A gift from me," Mac said. "It was something I cherished for a long time, but now I'm finally ready to pass it on to someone in need—just as it was given to me."

Manwx stared at the watch, awe filling his chest. He'd seen pictures of such timepieces in a burnt book, relics of a bygone era from where he came from. A pocket watch was like a treasured piece he'd searched for over decades, always coming up empty-handed. Now, here, it was given as a gift.

"But why? Why offer your generosity? " Manwx's voice trembled.

Puffing on his cigar, Mac nodded. "Do I need a reason to give something to a friend? You look like you need one anyway. There's a celebration tonight—a drinking party for a new staff member. Come join us for your induction. Get to know how we all fit into this place. It's always hard to make yourself comfy, but trust me, it gets easier with a helping hand."

"I hope to repay your generosity someday." Manwx's emotions spilled forth, raw and unfiltered.

Mac clapped him on the shoulder. "Na. just keep lending a hand to others in need. Let's go—it's already dusk."

=============================================================================

After that day, it was hard to adjust, but maybe, just maybe, I could start anew. As my memories faded away from my journey, I assumed I would never find peace as I looked at the glossing, the relentless ticking of the pocket watch, a reminder of time slipping through my fingers.

A place where I could belong

As a new day dawned, Manwx entered the school grounds once again with a subtle smile on his face. He adjusted his oversized monocle and entered the door for yet another day of the adventures of Scribble Hub High School.

Hey guys, this is Manwx. So, this chapter was just my way of expressing what a difficult transition to a new thing is and accepting that in the form of a simple story. I read some chapters and included things from those, like the tank for Tony, etc lol. Manwx was a fun character to write. Hope you guys found it entertaining. It's been a long time since I wrote, so this gives me confidence that I can pick up where I left off again. Thank you for reading XD.

4