Chapter 9 Unknown
268 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyon advanced through the Stone Range, his eyes sweeping the rocky terrain in search of the exotic plant. He climbed steep slopes and descended narrow valleys, the drawing of the plant tightly gripped in his hand.

Finally, after hours of searching, he found it. The plant was as bizarre as the description. Growing between two rocks, its leaves formed a structure resembling an open hand. In the center, a bright orb, like a pearl, was embedded, pulsating with a soft, mysterious light.

The sight of the plant made Lyon halt in his tracks. "So it's you," he murmured, approaching cautiously. He reached out for the plant, careful not to disturb the orb.

He held it gently, feeling the strange, cold texture of its leaves. The plant seemed alive, as if it was breathing with him, and the orb pulsed with palpable energy. Lyon marveled at the strange creature of nature, but knew he had to act quickly.

He looked around, trying to find somewhere to store the plant, his trousers had no pockets and he didn't have a backpack. With a resigned sigh, he decided he would have to carry the plant in his hand during the journey back.

He adjusted the plant in the palm of his hand, keeping the delicate orb protected between his fingers. With one last look at the Stone Range, Lyon began the path back, the exotic plant safe in his hand.

Lyon, with the plant firmly held in his hand, was already exiting the bounds of the imposing Stone Range. He lifted his eyes to the sky, noting how the sun was already audaciously positioned at its zenith. The midday light reflected on the stones, casting hard and long shadows on the rocky terrain. He deduced it must be around 12:00, an assumption that provoked a bitter smile on his face. The search for the plant had taken longer than he had planned.

**************

A few minutes after Lyon's departure, two men emerged from the shadows. Dressed in black from head to toe, they were almost invisible in the darkness of the terrain. "You said the Thunder's Hand was here, didn't you?" asked one of them, his voice sounding restless. The plant was known as the Thunder's Hand, a name that suited its appearance and the power it was said to possess.

"Yes, it should be here," replied the other, looking at the empty spot where the plant had been. Its absence was a clear indication that something was wrong. "Look at the ground, it's turned over. Someone just took it."

Their eyes met, both realizing the gravity of the situation. "This person who took it could still be around," said the first, looking around with alert eyes. "Let's hope it's a low-level newbie."

They nodded at each other, a silent understanding being shared. Without wasting any more time, they ran through the Stone Range, the hunt for Lyon and the precious Thunder's Hand had begun.

**************

"What can this plant do?" Lyon asked himself, studying the strange plant in his hand with curiosity and a touch of apprehension. Its leaves spread out like fingers, the central orb pulsating with a light that seemed charged with mysterious energy.

He contemplated the distance separating him from the mansion, a journey that would take considerable minutes if he were to walk. "I'll run to get there sooner," he thought.

Suddenly, a voice boomed in his head, clear and imperative like thunder. "Dodge to the side now!" the voice ordered. Without thinking, Lyon obeyed, leaping to the side, only to see an ax slice through the air where he had been a moment ago.

"Got you!" The man dressed in black exclaimed triumphantly, but his expression changed when he saw that Lyon had narrowly escaped. The ax had passed so close to Lyon that he could feel the blade cutting through the air next to his neck.

"Damn! That was close!" Lyon thought, passing his hand on his neck, feeling the intact skin and moist from cold sweat. "But whose voice was that?" He wondered, looking around, but seeing no one besides the man dressed in black.

Meanwhile, in another dimension, a large red dragon writhed with rage. "You damned! How dare you threaten the life of my husband!" She roared, spitting flames against a barrier that remained firm and unchanged, regardless of her wrath. "Damn this barrier that prevents me from protecting those in the mortal world!"

Lyon, oblivious to the goddess watching over him, didn't know that his salvation had come from a divine being. And not just any deity, but his ignis goddess, the great red dragon who called him husband on the other side of an invisible veil between the worlds.

"I'm not sure if I offended you in some way," Lyon began, his voice had a tone of caution, but was firmly controlled. "But I'm not looking for trouble." Saying this, he raised his hands in a defensive posture, the exotic plant still safe in one of them.

"I don't believe words will stop your attack, but it's a risk I'm willing to take," thought Lyon, a thought that provoked a faint smile on his face. He had to try, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

The man in black studied Lyon for a moment, a curious look in his eyes. "You have a very sharp survival instinct, is it because of some special class you possess?" he asked, his voice had a trace of respect.

Lyon shrugged, keeping the man's gaze. "It was pure mercy on your part", he replied, a slight smile playing on his lips. "I'll try to appeal to his good sense, maybe he'll let me go. I'm not ready to fight, I've never fought in my life, let alone against someone armed. I don't want to die, I only fight if it's my only option," Lyon thought, his mind racing for an exit.

Suddenly, a new voice sounded behind Lyon. "Lucius, I can't believe you failed to kill a simple newbie," the tone of the voice was scornful, but also amused. Lyon turned, his eyes widening at seeing another man dressed in black, standing at a safe distance behind him.

"Another?!" Lyon thought, his heart beating faster in his chest. He looked at the new man, his face a picture of surprise. "I didn't see him coming, how did he manage to approach so silently?" Lyon thought, swallowing hard.

The man named Lucius looked at his companion and then at Lyon. "Are you sure he's a newbie? He might have been clumsy, but a newbie wouldn't have those instincts," Lucius argued, the respect in his voice now more clearly audible.

"You're sincerely convinced that a veteran would behave like this guy? Look at him, Lucius, desperately trying to appeal to our humanity to avoid a confrontation. He hasn't even assumed a preparatory battle stance. It's evident he's inexperienced, unless he's an extremely talented actor trying to deceive us," the man in black argued, dismissively.

The words of the man in black seemed to bring to mind an uncomfortable memory for Lucius. "The last time, we were made fools of because of that premise," Lucius reflected, casting a piercing look at the man in black, as if trying to uncover some hidden subtext in his words.

"Just by your expression, I can tell exactly what you're thinking. That other guy, he was a case apart, completely different from this one in front of us," the man in black finished, his voice taking on a warning tone.

As the conversation between the two men in black continued, Lyon realized that this could be his chance. With a quick thought, he decided to take action. "Now or never!" Lyon thought, and, taking advantage of the distraction, launched himself into a desperate sprint.

But before Lyon could gain advantage, the man in black reacted. "Black Force Field!" he shouted. The next moment, a dark energy field formed around them, encompassing Lyon, Lucius, and the man in black in a dark aura.

Then, a system voice resonated in Lyon's mind, [HOST HAS SUFFERED PENALTY, YOUR STATS, EXCEPT WISDOM, HAVE BEEN HALVED]

"Damn." Lyon muttered, feeling his strength, agility, and endurance, like the others, except wisdom, drastically reduced. He could hardly believe the situation he found himself in. Now, he was trapped in a force field with two enemies, and his only advantage, his wisdom, remained intact. "Now, I'm really in trouble," thought Lyon, as he stared at the two men in black, ready for the confrontation that was to come.

9